PDA

View Full Version : 7th level wizard spell advice

lukelightning
2007-06-27, 08:41 AM
My wizard (actually an anima mage) just got access to 7th level spells;I'm in an Eberron campaign so high-level spells aren't super common. What spells should I take for my first two free ones? I was thinking forcecage and either prismatic spray or waves of exhaustion. Limited wish might be a good choice too, but I don't want both my 7th level spells to be ones that consume resources.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-27, 08:58 AM
If you don't want to consume resources then forcecage is out due to the high material component cost. Or did you mean XP and have ample access to material resources?

Otherwise I favor prismatic spray as I like my enemies dead over weakened. Exhaustion won't help you so much against creatures using magic over might.

lukelightning
2007-06-27, 09:05 AM
I meant that one of my spells can use up resources (gp/xp), but I don't want both of them to use up resources.

Saph
2007-06-27, 09:08 AM
Take Greater Teleport for your first spell. Essential if you ever do any travelling, and a perfect escape spell even if you don't. Greater Scrying is also really, really useful, and Project Image lets you attack from safety.

If you just want killing power, Finger of Death and Waves of Exhaustion are both great against living things, but not much use if you spend all your time fighting undead and constructs. Prismatic Spray can be very powerful, but has a high randomness factor. I wouldn't recommend forcecage, as it's expensive and just about everything you'll face at that level is too big to fit in it or has some way of getting out of it.

- Saph

nerulean
2007-06-27, 09:25 AM
Project image, then some form of invisibility on yourself, then anything to give a miss chance on the image. Suddenly you have an image that can deliver spells as if it was you, with a plausible reason for it not getting hit that might prevent or at least delay will saves to disbelieve it. Never take damage in combat again!

Iku Rex
2007-06-27, 10:09 AM
I'd consider a buff spell like elemental body (SC). You get darkvision; immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning; and you're not subject to critical hits or flanking. You also get some other effects depending on the element you choose, such as a perfect fly speed if you choose air or immunity to fire if you choose fire. Best of all, it will last all day (1 hour/level).

Spell turning is always a safe choice.

Delaney Gale
2007-06-27, 10:15 AM
I second/third/etc. the prismatic spray- it's random, but it can and does pack a wallop. I generally have finger of death prepared, more because my character likes pointing his finger at things and having them die.

If you and your DM have a decent sense of spatial reasoning, why not try reverse gravity? It's a bit of a weird one, but it can be both fun and useful, particularly if you've got an archer or two in your party, or if you've got a nice selection of ranged spells.

Also, if you're a wizard, you would probably be neglectful to not put limited wish into your spellbook. There's a lot of space between when you get 7th and 9th level spells, and having it able to be prepared could help you and your party get around tricky obstacles. If you cast like a sorc, that's null and void, btw.

lukelightning
2007-06-27, 10:21 AM
I'd consider a buff spell like elemental body (SC). You get darkvision; immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning; and you're not subject to critical hits or flanking. You also get some other effects depending on the element you choose, such as a perfect fly speed if you choose air or immunity to fire if you choose fire. Best of all, it will last all day (1 hour/level).

Ooh, I'll have to check that one out.

I'm reconsidering forcecage; I thought it was 250gp to cast...not 1500!