PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Chromatic Orb - retro style

WrittenInBlood
2016-05-27, 02:35 AM
Miss the AD&D 2ed. Chromatic orb spell? Me too. So maybe you’ll like my resurrection attempt.
I’ve started with sorting 5e conditions by their relative harmfulness – increasing lethality of rider effects was the most distinct feature of Chromatic orb, and my aim was to imitate that . Then I’ve associated riders with damage types, and finally with colours. I’m not great at balancing things mathematically, so didn’t even tried to calculate correct damage and random durations for given spell levels – feel free to correct them and point it to me.

CHROMATIC ORB
1st level evocation
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: Instantaneous

You hurl a 4-inch-diameter sphere of energy at a creature that you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. If the attack hits, orange orb shatters in the rain of sparks. It deals 3d8 fire damage and makes ground in 5ft radius a difficult terrain for 1 minute.
At higher levels: On a successful ranged spell attack roll, target suffers different effects of the spell, as described below.
2nd: Red orb explodes with deafening boom, dealing 4d8 thunder damage. Target makes Strength saving throw, falling prone on failure.
3rd: Green orb evaporates into toxic gas, dealing 5d8 poison damage to the target. Gas fills 10x10ft cylinder originating from the impact point, and remains there for 1 minute. Any creature that starts it's turn in the gas area makes Constitution saving throw, on failure becoming poisoned until the start of its next turn.
4th: Yellow orb flashes with bright light, dealing 6d8 radiant damage. Target becomes blinded for 1d4 rounds, or half that number on successful Dexterity saving throw.
5th: White orb unfolds into cage of electric discharge, dealing 7d8 lightning damage. Target becomes incapacitated for 1d4 rounds, or half that number on successful Constitution saving throw.
6th: Violet orb penetrates the target, dealing 8d8 psychic damage. Target falls unconscious for 1d4 rounds, or half that number on successful Wisdom saving throw.
7th: Blue orb hits the target, dealing 9d8 force damage. Target becomes paralyzed for 1d4 rounds, or half that number on successful Constitution saving throw.
8th: Turquoise orb crashes on the target, dealing 10d8 cold damage. Target becomes petrified until effect is removed, or for 1d4 rounds on successful Charisma saving throw.
9th: Black orb disrupts target's material structure. Target rolls 3 death saving throws at once, dying instantly on failing all of them. Otherwise, target suffers 10d8 necrotic damage and becomes petrified for 1d4 rounds by each failed death saving throw. Failed death saving throws count against their normal limit until the target takes a long rest.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-27, 04:14 AM
3k8 damage? As in 3,800 HP? That might be a bit much for a 1st-level spell. :smalltongue:

WrittenInBlood
2016-05-27, 04:46 AM
Whoops. In my language we use "k" in dice notation.
:smallsmile:

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-27, 05:54 AM
Whoops. In my language we use "k" in dice notation.
:smallsmile:

Intriguing! As far as I'm aware, using it in English to denote thousands is only common among engineers, so most people probably wouldn't notice anything untoward.

On the actual spell, I haven't looked that closely at the balance, but I applaud the sentiment. Upping the danger of the rider as you increase the slot level is a decent alternative to keying the effect off the target's level/hit dice/CR. This way, the spell stays relevant at higher levels.

Final Hyena
2016-05-27, 09:41 AM
A fun spell, I was tempted to suggest that you allow casting a particular type at a higher level for an extra d8 as well as the variant casting, however given the huge variety that the spell offers it's likely fine as is.

Amnoriath
2016-05-27, 09:57 AM
The real question though here is when you would use a higher slot does it completely change the spell? In other words must you make a ranged spell attack. Either way 5th level and higher versions are ridiculously over powered throwing out incapacitated, paralyzed, unconscious, and petrified as if they were nothing while still getting stuck with them on a successful save. Flesh to Stone requires three consecutive failures to petrify. Legendary Saves are useless against them. Then the Black Orb is the ultimate I win button, fail 3 Tiamat dies, succeed on 3 becomes a huge lawn ornament for eternity.

Rainbownaga
2016-05-29, 02:49 AM
I love the idea, but it is way too powerful. It deals the same damage as a chromatic orb, but adds better and better status effects.

In 5e spells that scale by slot are normally much weaker than using an actual slot. This seems the opposite.

I would keep the damage low and only add status effects as the spell slot increases.

Also, I would keep the colours the way they were for thematic reasons.

WrittenInBlood
2016-05-29, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the input, folks! Massive nerf incoming :smallwink:

My color scheme reasons are thematic as well - on first idea, with various damage types added, I've got big :smallconfused: with red-coloured, heat-effect cold-damage orb, so...