PDA

View Full Version : Are there any retro strategy games out there?

Jeivar
2016-05-27, 04:33 AM
I enjoyed Warcraft 2 immensely back in the day. Now it would probably only hold up due to nostalgia goggles, but I have a sudden itch to play something similar. I know strategy games never stopped being made, and that Warhammer is coming soon, but much of what I miss about Warcraft is the style and atmosphere. That high adventure, good-versus-evil, trope-ridden feel.

Any suggestions?

Gandariel
2016-05-27, 05:50 AM
If you like the genre, Heroes of Might and Magic always holds up well.
Actually I think just mentioning the game will instantly summon some fans of the game to discuss how 3 will always be the best, even though Conflux is so damn OP

Winthur
2016-05-27, 06:01 AM
Well, you have the Command & Conquer series, obviously. A long while ago EA was kind enough to have C&C 1, C&C 2 and Red Alert 1 released for free, so freely distributing it online is not a problem, and there are updated versions that bring the games up to speed (higher resolutions and proper work on modern systems). For C&C1 there's Nyerguds' version, C&C2 is also out there on fansites, and RA1 has either the OpenRA variant (with) or the proper game, also findable on fansites. Just Google them up. The whole series, overall, is pretty tropey, sometimes to the point of cartoonishness, and the good and evil angle is rather clearly drawn, at least in the first games. Red Alert 1 in particular is goofy as hell, with a comical Stalin giving you orders when you're Soviet and some really exaggerated acting and over-the-top fanservice. C&C also has Kane, one of the most iconic video game villains of all time.

Also WC2 is still crazy good and a classic. Other games that might be what you're looking for: Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and there does exist a campaign mod for Warcraft 3 that lets you play the Warcraft 1 campaign (a fairly standard Orcs & Humans fable) with updated graphics.

Hm, what else? The classic X-Com games are notoriously difficult and require some planning, and are more about squad-based tactics, but the general angle (humans vs aliens, tropes) is there. Same recommendable games in the same vein are Jagged Alliance 2 and Fallout Tactics, the latter of which was, curiously enough, made with real time in mind and the turn-based mode was added much later in development. Commandos / Desperados / Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood are about a fairly charismatic and archetypical squad of good guys wrecking havoc in sleazy enemy lines. Particularly Robin Hood, obviously, will be a very standard tale of this kind. Silent Storm is pretty good and has a nice feature where you can blow up walls and level buildings for strategic purposes.

My favourite turn-based series would be Heroes of Might & Magic, which, especially in connection to its main series, Might & Magic, is cartoony as all hell and the fractions are rather clearly drawn in a distinction between goodies and baddies. HoM&M2, 3 and 4, in particular, have excellent campaigns with great storylines for both undead, devils and the dark underground dwellers, and humans, angels, elves and good wizards. Age of Wonders games are in a similar vein.

As for modern games that capture the retro feeling, well, it's hard for me to tell because the market has become more niche ever since Starcraft 2 utterly dominated it and people aren't confident that they're going to make a Starcraft killer. You can try out the first Dawn of War game, but it's about evil people fighting even more evil using lesser evil methods; it's still a classic. Company of Heroes is good if you wanna play some classic World War 2 stuff. But it seems like most RTSes have walked away from the typical style of "building bases and wrecking people with units produced on the spot", and the genre has regressed evolved into stuff like MOBAs.

Yeah, I guess it's a long list, especially since you haven't specified if you wanted Real Time Strategy (but I assume you did, given the mention of War2). For RTS games that I liked, but might be extremely obscure and hard to find, let alone run, I like Black Moon Chronicles (an epic RTS fantasy saga based on a popular French comic book), but that game is kinda clunky, and Tsar: The Burden of the Crown.

...I guess it just kinda went into a strategy game recommendation post? Sorry!

EDIT:

If you like the genre, Heroes of Might and Magic always holds up well.
Actually I think just mentioning the game will instantly summon some fans of the game to discuss how 3 will always be the best, even though Conflux is so damn OP

Heroes of Might & Magic has never been very well balanced. Might heroes always surpassed magic heroes by a mile, the first game's Warlock faction wrecked everything with sheer cost-effectiveness and speed, the first two games' Knight & Barbarian factions were good only for their top-tier heroes but not so much for the towns and units themselves, and I also recall some very distinctively drawn tier lists in 4, 5 and 6 as well. Conflux and Necropolis are pretty OP, but they can also get wrecked by one of the other strong factions (Castle, Stronghold, Rampart, Fortress, maybe even Tower on a good day) given certain circumstances (smaller, open, FFA maps don't let Necropolis raise an army quick, and Conflux might have a certain lull in power as they climb through their bad unit tier 4 and 5).

No reason not to play 3 anyway - the world of Erathia is extremely well developed, ties nicely to supreme games that are M&M 6 and M&M 7, has a great storyline itself, a massive amount of great maps, mods that expand its playability, and is overall a classic for a reason, plus it's the most well-paced for hot seat games; I can't play hot seat 5 with people, for example, because it's so sluggish. 2, 3, 4, 5 are extremely playable games, and you'll find vocal portions of the fanbase vastly preferring 2 or 5 to 3, for good reasons, too. I can't say much about the ones that arrived past that, and I didn't like what I saw in the gameplay materials, but still.

factotum
2016-05-27, 06:03 AM

Conflux only existed in the Armageddon's Blade expansion for Heroes 3, and while their low-level units were way OP, the high-level stuff was weak compared to other towns--so it had an advantage in the early game that would gradually disappear as the other towns developed their stronger units. Certainly as a *game* HoMM3 was the best in the series--I won't say that HoMM4 was dreadful, because I don't think it was, but it certainly wasn't as good.

However, HoMM3 isn't really that similar to Warcraft 2--the latter being an RTS while the former is turn-based, with separate world map and tactical battles when two armies fought. Probably worth Jeivar having a go at it given it's pretty cheap on GOG, but it might not be what he's looking for.

Winthur
2016-05-27, 06:12 AM
Conflux only existed in the Armageddon's Blade expansion for Heroes 3, and while their low-level units were way OP, the high-level stuff was weak compared to other towns--so it had an advantage in the early game that would gradually disappear as the other towns developed their stronger units.

Double growth Phoenixes (fastest unit in-game that ressurects) and Magic Elementals being completely magic-immune mini-hydras on steroids are usually enough to ensure that you'll pop all the Pandora Boxes, get all the Dragon Utopias, and wreck everyone (except probably Necro) before their fabled late game even happens. Not even Stronghold or Fortress hold this kinda edge. And then you have Magic University (Earth Magic on demand!), the best Grail if the game goes there, and strong hero classes.

The best hope of beating Conflux you have is getting them relatively early on an open map where they haven't gotten Firebirds yet. Something like Wyverns sinkin their fangs into Fire Elementals.

DomaDoma
2016-05-27, 06:28 AM
Lords of Magic was something I got bundled as a demo with Age of Empires. I've always sucked at strategy games and so can't speak to the balance, but I can say it was sufficiently epic in feel that I kept bashing my head against that wall.

danzibr
2016-05-27, 07:17 AM
Lords of Magic was something I got bundled as a demo with Age of Empires. I've always sucked at strategy games and so can't speak to the balance, but I can say it was sufficiently epic in feel that I kept bashing my head against that wall.
Yeah that game was awesome.

2 retro SRPG's (not the same I know) which I loved were Shining Force and Shining Force 2.

OrcusMcP
2016-05-27, 08:07 AM
All of the Age of Empires series still holds up decently, but definitely check out Age of Mythology if you're looking for awesome RTSs.

If you want an old school strategy game that's in more of a grand/historical strategy vein, check out Imperialism.

GloatingSwine
2016-05-27, 08:32 AM
Despite many attempts, Master of Magic remains unsurpassed in the fantasy 4x genre.

It's unbalanced as ****, of course (Myrran Warlords of Life forever), because everything was back then. But it's got hella variety in units, spells, and races.

(it's also infinitely cheap on GoG, 73% off right now)

Grif
2016-05-27, 08:36 AM
Depending on how retro, I'd heartily recommend Trevor Chan's Seven Kingdoms. A neat little package of magic, economics, politics and strategy. None too deep, each of these, but combined they make an extremely charming game.

Jeivar
2016-05-27, 08:40 AM
Also WC2 is still crazy good and a classic. Other games that might be what you're looking for: Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and there does exist a campaign mod for Warcraft 3 that lets you play the Warcraft 1 campaign (a fairly standard Orcs & Humans fable) with updated graphics.

. . .

My favourite turn-based series would be Heroes of Might & Magic, which, especially in connection to its main series, Might & Magic, is cartoony as all hell and the fractions are rather clearly drawn in a distinction between goodies and baddies. HoM&M2, 3 and 4, in particular, have excellent campaigns with great storylines for both undead, devils and the dark underground dwellers, and humans, angels, elves and good wizards. Age of Wonders games are in a similar vein.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my first post. I DID play the early C&C games, but it is the fantasy stuff I really like. I played W3, but I feel it lacked the spirit of 2. I actually would like to play Warcraft 2 again, but I haven't found it online. I did find some legit-looking site that let me download it, but the music was missing, and it's such a big part of the mood.

I asked gog.com if they would ever have it, but I got a vague reply. Any suggestions?

I do remember giving Might and Magic a bit of a try back in the day, but I remember being unimpressed with the turn-based stuff.

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-05-27, 09:46 AM
All of the Age of Empires series still holds up decently, but definitely check out Age of Mythology if you're looking for awesome RTSs.
I love this game! Flippin' hydras, yo!

Rockphed
2016-05-27, 10:10 AM

If you want an old school strategy game that's in more of a grand/historical strategy vein, check out Imperialism.

I thought Age of Mythology was too fiddly in its circle of death and either my computer did not support the graphics at all or they were just bad when it came out. I haven't played Age of Empires 1 or 2 recently, but I remember them holding up fairly well over the course of the game.

Aeson
2016-05-28, 07:57 PM
I also support the Age of Empires and Age of Mythology suggestion, though I'll add that I personally am a bit ambivalent about the Titans expansion to Age of Mythology expansion (I like the Atlantean civilization, but I hate the Titans as units). I've not played the Steam (extended) edition of Age of Mythology or its new expansion, so I cannot comment on those, though looking over the list of 'new' features listed for the extended edition I don't see anything that I actually care about, so the only reason I could see buying the $30 Steam edition instead of the older editions that Amazon carries for no more than half the cost is if you really want the new expansion, which I expect requires you to have the Steam edition.

Some other games that might fit the bill are Battle for Middle Earth, Battle for Middle Earth 2 and its expansion Rise of the Witch King, and Empire at War and its expansion Forces of Corruption, though EaW and FoC have separate strategic and tactical layers (EaW and FoC do have skirmish modes for space and land battles that act more like a traditional RTS, however).

Triaxx
2016-05-28, 08:11 PM
If you don't mind going sci-fi instead of fantasy/historical, I recommend Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. It's basically Age of Empires: Star Wars. But at the same time, it's got some great refinements over AoE2. Continuous food production by hunkering animals instead of butchering them.

Knaight
2016-05-28, 09:26 PM
...much of what I miss about Warcraft is the style and atmosphere. That high adventure, good-versus-evil, trope-ridden feel.

Do they have to be real time? I'm not super familiar with the RTS genre, but in TBS there are plenty of offerings. Age of Wonders 3 and Battle for Wesnoth both fit this perfectly, on top of the previous suggestions in the thread. It's a different feel than the other turn based games listed, so it might work.

Domochevsky
2016-05-29, 01:26 PM
Hm, old game, around Warcraft 2... did ya ever play Warwind? That game's from around that era as well.

Dotafanatic
2016-06-09, 01:12 PM
I used to play Anno 1602 a lot back in the days. It is kind of a strategy game.
If you havent tried it, you should! Or maybe it is just my nostalgia :D

Adaon Nightwind
2016-06-09, 04:48 PM
So, older games, Good vs. Evil, and Real Time. Let's see..

Myth. Real Time Tactics, you can not build anything but have to use what you got. Fiendishly difficult. And pure Good vs. Evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_%28series%29

Dungeon Keeper. Be the Evil. Kill the goody-two-Shoes. And have fun at it!
http://www.bestoldgames.net/dungeon-keeper

Mmh, i know it's not Real time; but it is just too good to pass it by. Seriously, this is one of the best games i ever played. Lead a growing army of soldiers, tanks and whatever else you can scrounge together while you defend humanity from the tide of orcs that suddenly attacked and laid waste to our modern world. They may not have guns; but they do not need them. Oh, and did i say growing army? Only if you do not loose them; your next mission will contain what you will have left over from the previous one. Do you spend your money researching better Weapons? Or will you have to replace your losses?

http://www.bestoldgames.net/spellcross

Gandariel
2016-06-09, 05:25 PM
Ooh.

Completely forgot about two strong suggestions:

Sacrifice Freaking awesome game.
Awesome graphics (for the time).
You're a summoner and the five Gods offer you missions. Taking too many missions from the Good gods will shun the Evil ones, etc. You'll be offered by god X to betray god Y, and so on. Really, the game has many choices and huge replay value.

You move in a real time 3d map, capture Gates (which give you mana) and summon monsters (you end up with something like 10-20 at MOST, just to give you an idea) to fight the enemies. When a monster dies it drops a Soul (or several souls, for high level monsters), and whichever Summoner can grab it can use it to summon more monsters.

Really fun, 100% recommended.

Also, on the theme of good and evil, give Black and White a try. Lovely game, plenty of fun.
You are a God, and the game is about controlling your villages (and conquer enemy villages from the enemy Gods).

As a God you're powerful. you can move, throw, build, gather, even cast spells. BUT you can only do so in your "area of influence". Which is basically your villages. Conquer villages, and make them big and strong, and your influence will increase. Spells are powered by guys who pray on your altar (or guys who, ahem, accidentally fall into the altar and get sacrificed).

You can play in the "good" way, by growing fields with your Water spell, building their houses etc, or by scaring the s**t out of them, sacrificing them to power your spells, and so on. You get a magic animal which learns from your actions. A good animal will cast healing spells and help the people, an evil one will straight up eat your villagers and poop on their houses.
Also plenty of inspired and fun things and quests.

Super fun. there's a sequel too, but it's nothing special. It just adds Armies (you can recruit armies and use them to conquer villages) and a few overpowered Global spells.

Knaight
2016-06-09, 06:30 PM
Here's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games) a quick list, and google will generate others if you just look up "[year] rts games". I haven't played a lot of them, but just going through for things that I recognize and have heard good things about pulls up the following:

The Settlers (1993, the series continues later)
Sacrifice (2000)
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns (2001)
Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rings (2003)
Kohan II: Kings of War (2004)
Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth (2004)

Triaxx
2016-06-09, 07:41 PM
Another interesting suggestion, is Fallout:Tactics. It's not very 'Fallout' and pretty firmly ignores the lore, but is still excellent. Isometric, with Turn-based, Squad turn-based, and Continuous turn-based. The last is more or less real-time.

CozJa
2016-06-10, 07:07 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my first post. I DID play the early C&C games, but it is the fantasy stuff I really like. I played W3, but I feel it lacked the spirit of 2. I actually would like to play Warcraft 2 again, but I haven't found it online. I did find some legit-looking site that let me download it, but the music was missing, and it's such a big part of the mood.

I'm not sure what you mean with the spirit of War2, therefore I'm not sure if you may like it or not, but another good strategic game with Good vs Evil (or Evil vs more Evil, depending on your choices) is Battle Realms, I always considered it a really underestimated game.