PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Lighting a dungeon

falconsfan0894
2016-05-27, 11:48 AM
If someone could just help me out a bit here, I am confused on something.

If a dungeon is populated by nothing but humanoids with dark vision do they use torches or lanterns at all or is the only fire found within such a dungeon the cooking fire?

Thanks for the help folks!

AMFV
2016-05-27, 11:49 AM
If someone could just help me out a bit here, I am confused on something.

If a dungeon is populated by nothing but humanoids with dark vision do they use torches or lanterns at all or is the only fire found within such a dungeon the cooking fire?

Thanks for the help folks!

They might certainly use fire for other purposes, such as smelting or repair or heat. But I would say that if the dungeon is populated entirely by such creatures there would not be a lot of artificial light. Since they would have no need for it.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-27, 11:52 AM
Assuming 3.5 rules...No, they don't need fires to see. Other systems may rule it differently. 3.5 does prohibit seeing colors with darkvision, so perhaps they'd want lights just so everything isn't to deary. If it has a civilian population I could see lights just for color, while other areas are kept dark for safety.

There is also the matter of both air and heat. Without proper ventilation, fires in caves will suffocate those within them. But without heat, the people get sick and possibly die especially in colder climes. Healing, assuming lower tech given lanterns and torches being mentioned, might want things being boiled to disinfect them or for basic herbalism, depending on how advanced they are and how many resources they have. Fire may be useful for other applications, such as smoking meat depending on the resources and purpose of this place.

falconsfan0894
2016-05-27, 12:00 PM
I am going to be running Lost Mine of Phandelver with the 5e starter rules if that helps.

Thanks for the quick and courtesy answers, I hadn't really thought about the actual effects of not having fire but I see now that the Cragmaw Hideout is dark inside, it is written in the description, lol, perhaps I should read the adventure again before starting it.

Thanks again!

Tanarii
2016-05-27, 12:10 PM
It depends on the game system, and the way "see in the dark" ability works. Specifically, different versions of D&D work differently. In some, there are still things you'll want to use light for. Usually reading or other fine tasks.

Yora
2016-05-27, 12:14 PM
3rd edition darkvision has a limited range of only 20 meters. Which in most underground situation is a good distance, but not nearly as far as normal vision. One use of light for humanoids with darkvision is to set up lights in the distance on spots where intruders might come through. Once they enter the area of the light, they can be spotted by sentries from a great distance away, while the sentries themselves are positioned in darkness and invisible to intruders with either normal or darkvision.

Joe the Rat
2016-05-27, 12:15 PM
There are certain advantages to staying dark. If humans or halflings show up, they'll bring light. Objects near light are easy to see.

But you can leverage that to get the drop on foes that don't bring light. You can see light sources from further away than you can see via darkvision. If you are expecting trouble, stick a torch along a passage, and sit down at least 61' away. They can't see you in the dark, you can see them in the light. Snipe away.

Wolves don't have darkvision. While they can operate quite well by sight and hearing, adding a little light, particularly where you want them to see you (or not you) coming can be helpful to avoid or encourage snarling fits. Actual Worgs have darkvision.

Light and Color. Darkvision is grayscale. Anyplace where being able to see color might matter, you should have a light source. Also, darkvision means see in the dark as if it were dimly lit, which means disadvantage on perception checks. If you want to see clearly, you at least need dim light.

Slipperychicken
2016-05-27, 02:50 PM

Well, they'd want some light if they ever want to entertain guests who lack predator-vision.

Shops, traders, inns, government buildings, and other establishments that expect to see travelers might have light sources to allow outsiders to easily see them and browse their wares. Your bar might not get a lot of business from travelers who can't find it. The outsiders might be miserable surface-dwellers, but their money's still good, and the mayor still has to talk to them once in a while. If such travelers are rare enough, they might only turn it on when those people show up.

Segev
2016-05-27, 04:05 PM
Mines and other dungeon-locales inhabited by creatures with darkvision will likely have lighting at places where the guards want to see intruders as they enter. Not where the guards are, but more than 60 ft. from where the guards usually are.

This is because darkvision only extends to about 60 feet (120 feet, if you're drow), but if there's light 200 feet away, you can see what's going on around that light source. So now the darkvision-enabled guards are well out of sight, but can see you, and can see what's going on around themselves, too.

Temperjoke
2016-05-27, 04:34 PM
Something to consider, even if all your inhabitants and workers have darkvision, having access to a light source can be useful. For example, in a mine, you need light to determine the color of the minerals you're mining, to make sure you're pulling the right stuff out. Having light and fire is often seen as a cheap source of comfort, so guard houses and foreman offices would have something to make their off hours or work easier to see (foreman maps can often be color-coded, which you need light to determine). Medical storehouses should have light available, to identify medicines supplies easier. As it was mentioned, the occasional light source can make it easier for guards to spot intruders.

Mastikator
2016-05-27, 04:50 PM
Moles seem to do fine without torches. Bats too. Plenty of animals that do not need light and do not seek it out. In fact light is a weakness to anyone who does not need it because it might provide a tactical benefit to enemies

Slipperychicken
2016-05-27, 06:19 PM
Mines and other dungeon-locales inhabited by creatures with darkvision will likely have lighting at places where the guards want to see intruders as they enter. Not where the guards are, but more than 60 ft. from where the guards usually are.

Really, just seeing more than 60 feet in front of your face, and seeing color, is useful in any job. They might have lit up the whole town anyway for those reasons alone.