PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Aequalitas per Mortem: War on Magic

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 12:36 PM
Aequalitas per Mortem: War on Magic
OOC Page (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489526-Aequalitas-per-Mortem-War-on-Magic&p=20826124#post20826124)

Our story begins in the vaguely soggy town of Jhine. It's the early hours of the morning when you arrive, with the squawks of local merchants and the splashing of children's boots on puddles filling the air. An ordinary village, by most accounts- widely held to be a little too damp, but respectably armed in enough liquors to forget it. But to the trained eye, the incriminating evidence of magic is everywhere.

It's in the vaguely glazed smiles of the carvers, assembling yet another shrine for some indeterminable reason. It's in the distinct lack of cats. It's in the improbably large kelp harvest, despite the droughts and plagues that've swept the New Republic in spiteful misery.

But... it's mostly in the boulders that float above the lake like the orbs of some deranged planetarium. The townsfolk make a distinct effort to not look at them, but they're quite obviously there.

Welcome to the world of Zharn, where magic is potent and smells faintly of weasels. And is your (im)mortal enemy.

Comissar
2016-05-27, 01:41 PM
Akemi walked through the streets of Jhine with a faint frown on her face. Her eyes alternated between scanning the streets for people she recognised, and scanning the floor for puddles to avoid. The conditions were unpleasant, the damp air seeping into her clothing and the wet cobbles slick beneath her bare feet, but at least it wasn't raining. Sighing to herself, she continued to wander aimlessly for several minutes.

We really should've arranged somewhere to meet ahead of time...

Slowing to a halt, she leaned against the corner of a building, gently tapping one end of her Bo against the wall in time with her thoughts. Where the others headed first depended on how zealous they were. Would they want the comforts of an inn after the journey here? Or would they want to leap straight into action and head down to the lake...

Tap, tap, tap-tap

She nodded to herself, pushing away from the wall. The inn was closer, and was the smaller space to search. If they weren't there yet, she could wait outside. Then even if they passed by, she could spot them.

It took another few minutes to reach the inn, her wandering having taken her away from it through random streets. Pushing the door open, she stepped inside and scanned the room. Nobody yet, it seemed. Content that she was the first to arrive, she stepped back outside. Aware that she may be waiting a while, Akemi leaned against the wall by the doorframe, arms crossed, and awaited the arrival of her squadmates.

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 01:48 PM
The innkeeper glances up at your entry.

"New in town, eh? Have a drink on the house."

He pushes a tankard of... something towards you. It's the same color as his speech, but he seems sincere enough about it that you're pretty sure it's not swampwater.

Probably.

Linken
2016-05-27, 01:56 PM
The halfling, Sam, arrives next in town. Raising her head up slightly, she'd stick her tongue out, before moving fairly quickly to the inn. After all, if her companions weren't here (or maybe she was considered a companion to them!) then she'd just have to wait! Unless this was a setup to get her moving along to her death. Which it might be! Oh, well. She sighs slightly as she moves through the crowds. Say what you want about Sam, but make no mistake that she's agile. After all, you have to be in order to be two feet tall and not get punted by random townsfolk or other such things. Or eaten by snakes. Snakes are the worst. Good thing she can beat the hell out of them! After narrowly avoiding getting trodden on by a lumbering Half-orc- she thinks that's one, anyway-, she'd arrive at the door of the inn, and look up as she always did.

She spots someone. Looks like a human. Seems to act like a human. Then again, a lot of things act like humans. Or at least humanoids. She'd squint slightly, before realising who it is. Or what it is, anyway. One of the people from that very first meeting! The name whirls into the Halfling's mind. She speaks in a high-pitched voice, but not so much to be very grating. Mostly. Sam stares up, wide-eyed.

Hiya, you're Akemi, right? You're with the thing, right? She has quite a few vials attached to her clothing.

Comissar
2016-05-27, 02:23 PM
Akemi watches the Halfling approach, wincing sympathetically as she almost gets trodden on by a stranger. Recognition dawns as she realises the small woman was approaching her. Unfolding her arms as she pushes off the wall, Akemi takes a half step forward. One hand raised to her chest, and the other hanging by her side and holding her Bo behind her back, she bowed her head in greeting.

"I am indeed." Raising her eyes from her feet, she still finds her head tilted down some way to meet the Halfling's eyes. A smile crossed her lips, "And it was Sam, yes? I trust your journey was a pleasant one?"

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-27, 02:32 PM
Dorian had already lost one good boot to the puddles of Jhine by the time he found the inn. Well, not lost per se, but it was certainly soaked with who knows what. He figured he'd be lucky if he didn't have to amputate. In Dorian's defence, he hadn't exactly been looking where he was going. He was too busy staring at the giant rocks in the sky.

He was pretty sure he managed to tour the entire village before finally stumbling upon the inn. He'd taken in all the sights of a villagewith no sights, and was more than happy to get a stiff drink in him before he had to start doing his job. Coming to the door, he spotted a pair of people he vaguely recognised - a human and a halfling. Members of his squad. Were they a squad? They hadn't really done much as a squad, but did this mean they were still a squad?

Dorian shrugged to himself, joined his squadmates outside the door, trying to shake the water from his boot without looking too weird. As this was their first mission, he tried his best to make a decent impression. "Hey." He said. "There's giant rocks in the sky." Nailed it.

Croverus
2016-05-27, 02:33 PM
Aldon arrives at the town, trident on his back and net in one hand slung over a shoulder. To most it would simply seem like a fancy trappers net with small hooks and barbs on the inside, but a keen eye would notice that he holds it in a way that a smooth motion of his arm would have the net whipping out at any that were looking for trouble. His chain shirt covers most of his torso except his left arm is fully exposed to maximize his ability to reach for his trident. He has a leather kilt to protect his thigh, but wears sturdy sandals rather than any boots. His tightly cropped hair seems cut in an almost military fashion, with clean edges, except for a scar running just behind his left ear. He has another small scar over his right cheek and a few small ones on his exposed left arm. His calves too reveal a few scars. Those that glance his way likely make an effort to avoid getting in his path as he enters. He glances briefly towards the lake and glares a bit, but lets any thoughts pass. The other members of his new squad would likely seek food or rest after such a long journey. He made his way towards the tavern, the crowd seeming to move out of his way... not unlike a shark swimming among schools of fish.

He spots three people by the front of the tavern and recognizes them from the meeting when he was first welcomed into the Night Police. He approaches, giving a curt but respectful nod to each of them, but saying nothing.

Linken
2016-05-27, 02:42 PM
Sam raises her arm and teeters it a little. So-so! Had to blow some stuff up! But I'm sure it'll be worth it. A smile appears on her face, and she'd take a step back as she sees the half-elf. Jeez, everyone is so tall in this squad! Well, Dorian was somewhat shorter than Akemi, but still! That means more protection while she's performing Science! Hooray! What about you, how was your journey? Also, hi, uh... She taps her head slightly, before speaking. Dorian! Hi! How was your trip? She'd readjust a bag on her side, which looks to be filled with medical tools.

The halfling also turns to Aldon, smiling at him, too. And the... human.. er. Aldon! Yeah, that's it! Aldon. Hi. Trip, how was it? She'd almost forgotten for a second. Needless to say, though, Sam was absolutely titchy-tiny compared to the others, being just under Aldon's knees! She has to take another few steps back to get an eye on everyone, but she obviously doesn't mind this one bit. The napoleon complex is not strong in this one. Either that or she's been used to being incredibly short compared to the others and therefore just doesn't give much of a damn. She couldn't wait to see the group in action, taking down Wizards and Witches and other random trash. She seems very happy with this situation, and it shows on her grinning face. After completing her readjustments to her medical-bag, she'd close it up.

Croverus
2016-05-27, 02:49 PM
Aldon kneels down so Sam doesn't have to strain her neck as much as he smiles a little then began to speak. "Met a couple of fellas on tha road. Wanted a bit of a tumble they did, thinkin' they could take me coin. Did'na end well for one of 'em. Rest flew off seein' their friend liein' on the ground like a stuck pig. Afta find the rest when we finish our business 'ere." He gave a chuckle, standing back up straight and keeping an eye out for the last two of their group.

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 02:51 PM
The townsfolk eye this clandestine meeting, all sideways glances and mutterings but no direct contact. That is, except for one figure.

A small girl tugs on Aldon's shirt. Her eyes meet yours, all naïve bliss and spunk. "Um, why do you have a trident? Are you going to fish?"

Her gaze flickers to the ground. "Daddy says we can't fish anymore."

Every local is outright staring at this odd exchange.

Croverus
2016-05-27, 02:55 PM
Aldon looks at the girl and frowns a little. "Ate lass, fishin' for criminals. Yer Pa say ya can'na fish? Sounds like rubbish. Whys he go and sayin' that lass? Somethin' wrong with tha lake, sides them floatin' rocks?"

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-27, 02:56 PM
Dorian shrugs at Sam's question. "Can't complain." He paused in thought for a moment. "Nope, never mind. Can complain." He sticks out his sodden leg. "Boot got soaked, tent got savaged, got convicted of murder, like, twice on the way here, which is total nonsense, and to top it all off-" His rant, which pretty much no-one was listening to at that point, was cut off by the arrival of the girl.

His interest piqued by the question, and the attention of the locals, he decided to let Aldon handle it and not butt in. Yet.

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 03:07 PM
Aldon looks at the girl and frowns a little. "Ate lass, fishin' for criminals. Yer Pa say ya can'na fish? Sounds like rubbish. Whys he go and sayin' that lass? Somethin' wrong with tha lake, sides them floatin' rocks?"

She shuffles. "We used to. Then the nice lady got mad and the grownups made us stop."

She opens her mouth to say a little more, but a wiry grasp wraps around her arm and the mouth shuts.

Behind her is a smiling father, the spitting image of ingratiating parenthood. He laughs. "She really lets her imagination get away from her, doesn't she! Let me show you newcomers around town."

Comissar
2016-05-27, 03:32 PM
Akemi nods in greeting to each new arrival in turn, letting them introduce one another. She raises an eyebrow at Dorian's complaint of soggy boots. "I think you might want to find yourself a refund," She smirked, "That or just save the money and go without."

She tilts her head as she listens to the exchange between the child and Aldon, and soon enough the presumed father as well. At the offer of a tour, she shakes her head, "I appreciate the invitation, but it will have to wait for the time being. We are still awaiting the arrival of two others. They are likely to seek us out here, and leaving would only confuse matters."

She turns her head to the tavern door, before glancing back at the assembled group, "If you wish to wait with us and tell us a little more, however, the climate in the tavern is more agreeable than the air out here."

Akemi will be sense motiving the fisherman, trying to determine why he would've made the girl stop talking.

Sense Motive - [roll0]

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 03:53 PM
The man lets out a rather grating chuckle. "Oh, Clide's inn? Sure I'll share a drink with you. It's been a stressful few weeks."

He winces at that last slip, and marches into the bar. Anyone who follows him walks in on him begrudgingly nursing a tankard of that odd drink.

Also, anyone who got above a 22 on Sense Motive knows that the man is jittery, nerves alight with tension- he's got a secret.

Grek
2016-05-27, 04:01 PM
The Hound stalked through the mud slick streets, searching not for foes, but for friends this obnoxiously damp morning. At first, the new assignment was a pleasure. Kill some salt-crusted, nature-loving, God-bothering seashell supplicants? A fine idea! But, as always, something just had to ruin the mood. First there was the rain, then the mud, and now the boulders. Flying about in obvious defiance of both the proper order of things and good sense. Honestly. Who makes a boulder fly above a lake? What possible reason is there for that? It's not as if someone could stand on the stones, they'd just fall off as soon as they moved.

Lost in idle mental grumblings, the Hound completely fails to notice the remarkably tiny halfling underfoot. The pavement squelches as the Hound hops back, but the halfling is already gone. Brows crinkle in realization under the wooden mask as beady black eyes note the halfling's direction. The same inn and, if the staff is any judge, Officer Yun. That would make the halfling and the others here members of the squad as well. And a local... best not interfere just yet.

"Officer Horforn, my apologies for earlier. I really should have watched where I was going."

fendrin
2016-05-27, 05:00 PM
Tyr

Tyr is not at the inn. He hasn't made it that far, because his curiosity was caught. Not by the floating rocks. Those were so obvious they weren't worth paying attention to, yet.

Either someone has a serious death-wish or they are a mere distraction. As much as I'd love to make their wish come true, something else is going on in this town, and whoever is doing it wants us looking at the lake... which means I should follow up on the subtle clues first. Enchanted workers building shrines. Abundant harvest. No cats, no doubt they've been sacrificed. I'd hate to have to deal with the rats and mice in the next breeding season.

He sighs.

Another freaking cult, I'd say. But to who... or what?

He takes a closer look at one of the shrines, looking for clues to the identity of the worshiped... and for traces of cat blood.

...and where the heck is my team?

Knowledge(religion)+inspiration: [roll0] + [roll1]
Total: 17
Meant to roll a perception, too - I'll put that in the OOC rather than double-post.

Linken
2016-05-27, 05:02 PM
Sam waves towards the Half-Orc. Ah, so that's who... hm. Oh well! Forgive and forget, and all that. Her smile doesn't seem to fade, and she's obviously happy to be with the ENTIRE group now. Well, except for one, but he can wait or burst in right now, right? If they were lucky. No hard feelings! Everyone nearly steps on me once or twice! She had also noted the boulder above the lake, but it might just be floating. Or something. She'd be staring up at the group, rubbing the back of her neck before just placing her hands together and shuffling on the spot, waiting for this boring business to be done. Well, it isn't really boring business at all, and she was happy enough to listen. Maybe even find out why there's a BOULDER floating on the lake. Oh well! Maybe if they couldn't find why, next time.

The halfling looks up at the girl, too, assuming she's fairly short, before deigning to remain quiet. Even though her species was pretty charismatic, she was one of the less-gifted, let's say. After looking at Dorian's boots, she'd grin. Aw, sucks. I'm sure I would have had something for those, but... meh. She shrugs. Maybe she'd find something for him later. Maybe. Just maybe. She follows after the group.

Comissar
2016-05-27, 05:14 PM
Akemi offers the newest arrival a nod, opening the door to the tavern as she did. "Shall we? I'm sure the last of our number will find us soon enough."

Leading the way inside, she found a table for the group. Pulling one of the chairs out, she shrugged off her backpack and hung it on the back rest, propping her Bo up against one side of it as well. Seating herself, she smiled at the fisherman. "Can you recommend anything here?"

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-27, 05:34 PM
Dorian returns a polite smile to Sam, before following Akemi inside. He takes a seat at the bar, partially to get closer to the man, but mainly 'cause after four solid days of travel, he needed a drink. Sliding his backpack off his shoulders, he turns to the innkeeper. "Give me a tankard of whatever's good here."

cecil1994
2016-05-27, 06:18 PM
Dorian returns a polite smile to Sam, before following Akemi inside. He takes a seat at the bar, partially to get closer to the man, but mainly 'cause after four solid days of travel, he needed a drink. Sliding his backpack off his shoulders, he turns to the innkeeper. "Give me a tankard of whatever's good here."

A couple of regulars chuckle quietly at that statement. The barkeep rolls his eyes, and slides you a mug of the same green-blue gruel that everyone's drinking.

"Kelpmead. It's an acquired taste, so the first one's free."

It smells like a swamp. Not the hygienic kind, either.

Akemi offers the newest arrival a nod, opening the door to the tavern as she did. "Shall we? I'm sure the last of our number will find us soon enough."

Leading the way inside, she found a table for the group. Pulling one of the chairs out, she shrugged off her backpack and hung it on the back rest, propping her Bo up against one side of it as well. Seating herself, she smiled at the fisherman. "Can you recommend anything here?"

He relaxes, back into safer waters at the mention of food. "Kelp. Here in Jhine we have kelp, kelp-flavored dishes, and kelp-related accessories. I'm fond of the kelpburger myself."

That's one oddity the mission briefing actually remembered to mention- Jhine's economy is entirely kelp-based. They live and die by the plant.

Tyr

Tyr is not at the inn. He hasn't made it that far, because his curiosity was caught. Not by the floating rocks. Those were so obvious they weren't worth paying attention to, yet.

Either someone has a serious death-wish or they are a mere distraction. As much as I'd love to make their wish come true, something else is going on in this town, and whoever is doing it wants us looking at the lake... which means I should follow up on the subtle clues first. Enchanted workers building shrines. Abundant harvest. No cats, no doubt they've been sacrificed. I'd hate to have to deal with the rats and mice in the next breeding season.

He sighs.

Another freaking cult, I'd say. But to who... or what?

He takes a closer look at one of the shrines, looking for clues to the identity of the worshiped... and for traces of cat blood.

...and where the heck is my team?

Knowledge(religion)+inspiration: [roll0] + [roll1]
Total: 17
Meant to roll a perception, too - I'll put that in the OOC rather than double-post.

You're immediately aware of the God in question- Gozreh, God of nature, the sea, lakes, and apparently kelp. No cat blood to be seen. Perhaps it's the whole "nine lives" thing, but for the life of you there's not a trace of cat remains anywhere.

Croverus
2016-05-27, 07:56 PM
Aldon enters the Inn with the others, declining a drink he asks instead for just some bread and soup. He seems to follow Sam to wherever she chooses to sit, draping his net across the back of the chair he takes. He keeps quiet for the most part, observing everyone else.

Comissar
2016-05-28, 02:08 AM
Akemi nods and raises an eyebrow, "I can see why the past couple of weeks must have been tough for you, then. Not being able to fish must be quite the blow to the economy."

Grek
2016-05-28, 03:37 AM
The Hound sits across from Aldon and Sam, keeping an eye on the door. "I've brought along a gift for each of you, in celebration of our first assignment together." Five tiny instruments are pushed to the middle of the table, each cast from a dull pewter. Fanciful images of hogs fleeing from orcs on horseback spiral up and down the sides. "A matched set of signal whistles, from back home." Although the canine mask of the Hound betrays no hint of expression, a note of nostalgia filters through as the towering half-orc recalls old memories. "They're audible out to a mile and a half most days. Sound once for 'yes, good or forward', twice for 'no, bad or retreat' and three times for 'come here, confusion or difficulty'."

Sounding a horn requires a DC 10 Perform (wind instruments) check and can convey concepts such as “Attack!”, “Help!”, “Advance!”, “Retreat!”, “Fire!”, and, “Alarm!” The report of a signal horn can be clearly heard (Perception DC 0) up to a half-mile distant. For each quarter-mile beyond, Perception checks to hear the horn suffer a –1 penalty.

With a DC 5 Perform (wind instruments) check, you can use a whistle to signal the same sorts of situations as signal horns. A whistle's piercing report can be clearly heard (Perception DC 0) up to a quarter-mile away. For each quarter-mile beyond, Perception checks to hear a whistle take a –2 penalty.

Note that any of these can be done as an untrained Charisma check, and if you somehow fail it'll probably still make a loud noise for us to come investigate.

Linken
2016-05-28, 04:53 AM
Sam would politely refuse any food that was offered to her. She considers taking some of her Halfling rations out now, but she decides to wait on it for a while. She'd pull a chair out under the table she heads to and would steadily climb onto it. Yes, it was taller than her (if only slightly) and yes, she needs to stand on it. Oh, well. She looks towards the signal whistles that'd just been dumped down onto the table and would pick one up, getting a feel for its weight. Good thing it was small, otherwise she'd be very worried about how everyone expected her to use it.

Oh, these are neat! Thanks! The halfling hesitates for a moment, before placing the signal whistle in one of her pockets. Ahem, anyway, so! What shall we do?

fendrin
2016-05-28, 07:18 AM
Tyr

Hmm. Either not sacrificed, or not sacrificed here. If not sacrificed... prey? Nature god, enchantment magic, missing animals. Could be a crazy cat collector cult-leader, or...

He glances at the rocks over the lake again.

...not a death-wish, something with little concept of 'death'.

He fingers the hilt of his cold iron rapier.

...and where's the team? Hmm. Maybe they got here before me. Where might they be then?

He looks around.

An inn. Maybe they're cooling their heels. Or working locals over for intel.

Approaching the inn, he opens the door and sticks his head in.
Seeing familiar faces he ticks of a mental checklist, putting names to faces, thinking back to the dossiers and their respective talents.

Good, they're all here. A good team, if we can work together.

"There you are."
He says with a smile.
"Mind joining me out here? I've got some information to share."

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-28, 08:34 AM
Staring into his tankard of Kelpmead, Dorian immediately regretted his decision. "Cheers." He murmured to the innkeeper, trying his best not to sound overly disgusted. How would he go about drinking this? Lord knows what's in it beside kelp, the smell was enough to strip the hairs off the inside of his nostrils. He raised it to his lips-

-and was interrupted by Tyr's appearance. Oh thank Gods he thought to himself, slamming the tankard back to the bar top. "Watch my pint." He said to no-one in particular as he joins Tyr outside. "So, uh Tyr, was it? What have you got?"

cecil1994
2016-05-28, 08:58 AM
Akemi nods and raises an eyebrow, "I can see why the past couple of weeks must have been tough for you, then. Not being able to fish must be quite the blow to the economy."

The kelpmead is relaxing him. Somehow, he's already downed 3 tankards. "Haaaaaa! Actuallllyyy, it's what's savingggg us." *hiccup*

His words are slurred. As Tyr and Dorian meet outside, he tosses an exaggerated glance in their direction. "What're your frieendds up to???"

Comissar
2016-05-28, 09:22 AM
Akemi offered Tyr a brief nod of greeting when he stepped into the inn, watching Dorian go to join him just as the man opposite her started talking. Whatever Tyr had to say, it could wait a few moments. "Just catching up with one another I imagine,"She offers the drunken man a smile, "it's been a few days since we last saw one another."

"I have to ask, though, how is not being able to fish saving you?"

cecil1994
2016-05-28, 09:27 AM
Akemi offered Tyr a brief nod of greeting when he stepped into the inn, watching Dorian go to join him just as the man opposite her started talking. Whatever Tyr had to say, it could wait a few moments. "Just catching up with one another I imagine,"She offers the drunken man a smile, "it's been a few days since we last saw one another."

"I have to ask, though, how is not being able to fish saving you?"

A fellow from across the bar sits down beside the two of you. He gives you a stern glare. "Look, he's had a bad couple of days. Give the poor man a break."

The fisherman slumps to the table, moaning something indeterminable. The newcomer sighs. "I'll just take him home."

Comissar
2016-05-28, 09:36 AM
Akemi sighs, "My apologies, I just thought he might want to get a few things off his chest."

She pushes her chair back, slinging her backpack across her shoulder as she does, "Do you need a hand taking him?"

Linken
2016-05-28, 10:09 AM
Sam decides to keep standing around (literally) in the inn, trying to figure out anything that might be being talked about that's interesting or relates to her mission, whether it was quiet or not.

She also watches Dorian and Tyr enter as quickly as they left. Ouch. She directs her attention towards the Hound. Or whatever they were supposed to call them. Say, what's your name, again? Sorry if that's being rude.

Perception for useful information:
[roll0]

cecil1994
2016-05-28, 11:22 AM
Akemi sighs, "My apologies, I just thought he might want to get a few things off his chest."

She pushes her chair back, slinging her backpack across her shoulder as she does, "Do you need a hand taking him?"

The newcomer bristles, then manages to calm himself. "No, I've got this. Welcome to Jhine."

He reaches forward to take the fisherman by the shoulder, and you see something colored flicker into your field of view. His sleeve fell back, just for an instant.

Akemi can roll me perception.

cecil1994
2016-05-28, 12:09 PM
His wrist is exposed for only an instant, but you (somehow) manage to get in a good look. It's a tattoo of some sort- swirly and intricate, like an elaborate sigil in some unknown tongue or a detailed map of forgotten lairs.

He catches you staring at it, and pales. He mutters one last rebuttal as he stomps out of the bar- "Your kind ain't welcome here."

The oaken door slams shut.

Comissar
2016-05-28, 12:16 PM
Akemi picks up her Bo from its resting place. As she did, she turned her attention to the Half-Orc and Halfling women sitting with her, "You two coming? I've a feeling this will take some time."

On receiving her response, she deliberately took her time making her way to the door, intending to make it clear that she had no intention of leaving town at the spite of a stranger. She steps out, catching the door as it closed behind her to keep it from slamming. Letting it ease into its frame, she looked up at the man who'd called her outside.

"If we're going to talk, somewhere away from prying eyes would be best."

fendrin
2016-05-28, 12:42 PM
Tyr

Leaning against the wall of the inn, Tyr watches the drunk and his friend as they move down the road.

"My thoughts precisely."

Though if my suspicions are correct such a place may not exist. Aggressive cultists or curious fey? Well, I'd rather get into a fight with the fey and leave the cult powerless. It'd fall apart on it's own without the magic. And if it's not fey, we'd probably have more privacy out of town than surrounded by people.

Pushing off from the wall, he turns to Akemi.

"I think a tactical retreat is in order."
He puts a slight emphasis on 'tactical'.

Then we can come up with a proper plan... which we should have done before leaving HQ.

Linken
2016-05-28, 01:31 PM
Sam nods her head at Akemi's query, smiling to herself as she hops down from the chair, pushing it under the table and following after her, carefully weaving through and around anyone nearby so as not to get stomped or punted across the inn. She stays behind the two as she follows, looking quite happy to just keep going. If she'd heard the man's rude statement, she'd just smile through it either way.

Sure, I'll come. Gotta have SOMETHING to do!

Croverus
2016-05-28, 01:43 PM
Aldon finishes his food and grabs his net, standing up and thanking the Inn keeper, leaving behind an extra two copper as a tip as he follows the others outside. His free hand goes to his hip pack, reaching in and feeling the bear helm that belonged to his grandfather and finding some comfort in it. Things in this town smelled strange... and it wasn't the fish. He was used to the smell of fish.

Grek
2016-05-28, 02:33 PM
Seeing everyone else at the table standing, The Hound rises as well, making a particular effort not to step in anything (or anyone). The stranger's obvious dislike for the Night Police, unsubtle hinting at religious tendencies and clearly unnatural fondness for kelp made him the best lead so far. Time to make him talk!

As the axe-toting figure passes Sam, a brief explanation is whispered: "Hound, for now. Code name. You'll meet my civilian identity later, away from possible cultists."

cecil1994
2016-05-28, 02:45 PM
As you step outside the bar, the hairs on the back of your neck stand on edge. You're being watched- and not in the nervous glances of the locals.

Down the road, the drunken excuse for a fisherman is being helped into his house. In one window a pale face stares at you. It blinks, and fades away into the willowy curtains.

When the figure blinked, the boulders above the lake bobbed in turn.

Comissar
2016-05-28, 02:54 PM
With everyone now in one place, Akemi nods at Tyr's suggestion. Frowning as she felt eyes on them, she scanned the area as she replied, "Might be worth heading out of town a little way," Her eyes narrowed as they fell on the pale faced figure observing them, "Harder to stay hidden for anyone wanting to hear what we say."

Glancing at the rest of the group, she waits a moment to hear if they had any other suggestions, ready to lead the way to the outskirts of the settlement if nobody was forthcoming with ideas.

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-28, 02:57 PM
Dorian waits for the rest of the group as they reconvene outside. "Retreat sounds good." He catches a glimpse of the face in the window - shudder - before dropping his voice to a covert whisper. "Out of town sounds good also. The less time we have to spend here the better."

fendrin
2016-05-28, 03:45 PM
Tyr

Nodding, Tyr turns back the way he came in to town.

"Let's go then. Make sure to keep your eyes open, make sure we're not being followed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About twenty minutes of walking later, Tyr stops and turns to the rest of the squad.

"Alright, that ought to be far enough. Let's start by reviewing the obvious.
One - as expected, the cult of Gozreh is active in town.
Two - magic is at work in town: enchanted workers, floating rocks, and an abnormally bountiful kelp harvest.
Three - a lack of cats. Could be related, could be coincidental."

"Now, items one and two may be connected, but I cannot fathom why the cult would put those rocks floating. It's too obvious, and seems to have little purpose for either the town or the worship of Gozreh. I suspect that there is something else going on here as well. Perhaps someone in the cult reached out to some fey for assistance, seeing them as natural allies - if you'll forgive the pun. Perhaps someone has dabbled in magic or was born with sorcerous powers and just happens to be in the same place as the cult. I'm not sure, precisely - but this seems to be a bit beyond a bunch of fools praying for good harvests."

"What are your thoughts? Did you learn anything in the Inn?"

Perception to see if we are being followed: [roll0]

Comissar
2016-05-28, 04:20 PM
Akemi nods as Tyr comes to a stop. She unslings her bag from her shoulder, setting it down on the grass before seating herself cross-legged beside it. Laying her Bo across her lap, she folded her hands one over the other as she listened to Tyr, facing out back toward the town while she did. Much of what he was saying made sense to her. The assumptions might be reaching a bit with nothing to base them on, but it wasn't exactly an unheard of phenomena. At his question, she nodded.

"For whatever reason, fishing is being restricted. A woman is behind this, a sudden change in outlook apparently, though the villager's don't seem to like people asking about it." She closed her eyes, replaying the conversation in her mind, "This has, presumably, been the case for at least a fortnight as it's still causing stress. If it were an old development, the populace would have adapted by now, for better or worse. The fisherman believed the restriction was keeping the town safe, despite the profound impact that would be expected to be seen on the economy of a fishing town." A frown crosses over her face, "It's possible we've already been recognised. The man taking the fisherman back to his house insisted that I wasn't welcome here. Whether he was referring to myself alone, strangers in general, the Night Police, or maybe even just women, I don't know." Akemi opens her eyes, keeping her gaze lowered on her folded hands, "I believe the safest course of action would be to assume we are recognised as being Night Police and that we act accordingly, with the understanding that we do not directly confirm it."

"The man who escorted the drunk home bore a tattoo'd mark," Akemi raises her right wrist, pointing to it with her other hand as she looks between the other five, "just here. He did not become outwardly hostile toward me until he noticed I had seen it. I believe it's safe to assume it indicated his belonging to a secret society of some kind." She lets her hands fold back into her lap again, though she keeps her attention turned to the others, "Finally, I don't know if you all noticed, but the figure watching us before we left the town. She stood in one of the windows of the same house the fisherman was taken to, presumably his home, but possibly a cultist den."

She sighs, bowing her head for a moment before looking up at the others once more, "I think our first step should be to examine the magic holding the rocks aloft above the lake. If we can determine the nature of it, it will help us to determine what our next step should be. The locals are unlikely to be co-operative with us, and if we begin our investigation at their doors, they may close in as a community against us."

Akemi will also make a perception check to see if the group's been followed.

Perception - [roll0]

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-28, 04:47 PM
Dorian listens patently to Tyr and Akemi's assessments of the situation. "If we have to start chatting with locals, we're gonna want to prioritise those without marks. Maybe if we can get a sit down with the kid or her dad, they might be more pliable than his, uh, friend. Plus, I'd stay away from the mead. In fact, probably a wise idea to stick to rations from now on. Best case scenario, the food tastes as bad as it smells. Worst case scenario, you start chanting along at their next ritual." He turns his attention to Sam, staring at the numerous vials attached to her clothes. "I take it you're better at alchemy than me. We might want to get a more thorough idea of what goes in the mead if we can." Turning back to the group. "As for window lady... I don't know. Could be the woman the girl mentioned? Creepy, but inconclusive. Either way, first port of call should be the rocks. Something about them seems off. Aside from the whole "defying gravity" thing."

Gonna join in with the perception rolls to check if we're being followed.

[roll0]

Linken
2016-05-28, 05:16 PM
Sam listens to each report thoroughly, considering all their options carefully. Upon Dorian's request, she'd nod and smile wider. Finally, her Scientific skills brought to light. Of course! I'll happily do that, and easily. Just gotta get a sample of it from the town. Then I can test it for Arcane or Druidic residue as well as any drugs or other alchemical materials. Aside from kelp, of course. Or maybe there's something IN the kelp? A kelp-based economy seems strange. She shuffles on the spot slightly, unsure of what to follow that up with. Staring at the sky for a second, she'd think. Well, either way, I can start making up some formulae and extracts for everyone to use. Anyone got any specific requests? She was happy to take all of them. Or at least the ones in her ability and in her list. But I agree. Shouldn't be too hard to investigate those rocks. Hey, Dorian. The halfling continues her tirade as she turns to the half-elf. You know how the bartender gave you a pint of Kelpmead, then ya left it there? Why not take a vial or even a waterskin and pour it into there? Assuming it hasn't been dumped. Would be good for a cheapskate!

Grek
2016-05-28, 06:42 PM
"Briefing says that we're looking for pacifistic religious types. Suppose their god is opposed to killing fish, and think that leaving the fish be will improve harvests. That would fit the prohibition against fishing they have. Tattoo could be a holy symbol, house could be full of cultists. Or just sympathizers. My first instinct is to make an arrest and start questioning everyone in the house, but I can see not wanting to bite off more than we can chew when there's bewitched workers and unidentified flying boulders to watch for."

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-29, 12:26 PM
Dorian nodded at Sam's suggestion. "Sounds like a plan. As long as no-one raises an eyebrow at me abandoning a pint for... what, an hour?" He considers how long they've been out of town for a moment. "Ah well, if it's gone I can just shell out a couple of coppers. Plus, once I get there I might be able to question the innkeeper on whatever's going on here." He turns his attention back to the rest of the group "One more thing. We're gonna want to consider establishing a base of operations somewhere, maybe even in the town. We may not need it, but if this goes on longer than it needs to, we're gonna regret not having one set up"

Rolling to see if I know anything about how long Jhine's been around for, and if there's anything of interest in its history. Either using Knowledge history or local, both have the same bonus.
[roll0]

Comissar
2016-05-29, 04:58 PM
Akemi nods again, "It can't hurt to check if there's anything in the drink here, but I don't believe it's high priority. If there is something, we're too late to stop people drinking it, and we can just avoid it anyway."

She lowers her gaze to her hands, "I don't know if we can trust our safety to the inn. If we do stay in the town, it'd be best if we shared rooms and kept watches. At least for the first few nights. For what we should do next..." In a single smooth motion Akemi rose back to her feet, Bo in one hand and bag in the other, "Let's head to the lake. The day is young, we may as well make the most of it."

fendrin
2016-05-29, 05:58 PM
Tyr

"The lake... or the Mayor's house, to check out that mysterious face. The two are connected, and we'll probably have to do both, but let's consider worst-case scenarios."

Tyr stretches almost casually, like he's talking about week-end walk in the park.

"If we go to the house, we risk an attack by the cult. A waste of lives, perhaps, but not too dangerous. We kill the magic woman. Worst case scenario, she's holding the magic back and her death unleashes it, bringing those boulders fully to life - probably some sort of massive golem or elemental. or maybe there's an elemental in them that would be unleashed... there's something alive about them, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

"The lake... well, first, it used to have some sort of flesh-eating monsters living in it, though they were supposedly wiped out a while back - we may have to deal with them. Second, we might disrupt the magic of the boulders... in general a good thing, but I don't really want to be under them when it happens. That would be somewhat less than fun.

He shakes his head.

Given what we know, the mayor's house is probably the better bet. We might even learn something valuable there that will help us at the lake. Higher risk of collateral casualties, but also a higher chance of successfully completing our mission without casualties on our part. Also..." He shrugs. "...they're cultists. If they die, it's no big loss to the world."

Linken
2016-05-29, 06:12 PM
As Sam listens to Tyr, she suddenly gets an idea. Hang on. Thinking, thinking. Perhaps the ban on fishing is to promote the regrowth of these monsters- could be a mutation among the fish that caused their offspring to become like that. Alternatively, if you feel something's live about those rocks, they might not be rocks at all, nor golems or elementals. They could be carriers for the eggs of these creatures, dispensing their eggs into the lake. The fishing ban is to promote the growth of these eggs and to stop fishermen from catching the eggs.
Either way, yeah, house is a good place to start. I might've just been going on a rave there, sorry! She shuffles nervously, but seems happy with her theorem.

fendrin
2016-05-29, 06:39 PM
Tyr

Tyr smiles at the diminutive alchemist.

"I had been thinking the fishing ban might be to keep the monsters from killing the fishermen, or maybe to prevent the fishermen from angering the monsters, who then might attack the town... but I wasn't sure how the rocks might connect. That's an interesting line of thought I hadn't considered."

Grek
2016-05-29, 10:19 PM
The Hound nods along with Tyr, noting that "If the boulders were to all collapse at once, the resulting splash would almost certainly flood the village, potentially washing the entire community away. And that is assuming there is nothing else to them, no curse nor... larvae as Officer Horforn proposes. Or surviving creatures." The gaze of the masked figure lingers on the boulders briefly. "If I might propose an alternative? We do not know enough about the lake to break the spell there. Nor do we know enough about this cultist's capabilities to be certain we can apprehend her safely. But the shrines, we can handle. Let's say we go dismantle them and wait for the cultists to come to us, attempting to stop our efforts? Meet them on our own terms, in a location of our choosing."

Comissar
2016-05-30, 02:59 AM
Akemi frowns, tapping at her leg with her Bo. "I wasn't suggesting attempting to break the spell over the boulders immediately, merely to determine the causes behind their positioning. And I cannot recommend attempting to storm the house in search of the woman. We do not yet know their capabilities. If they are capable of levitating boulders, they may well be able to perform other powerful magics." She nods toward the Hound, "The plan to draw them to us, however, has merit. A leader is unlikely to be involved in maintenance, and even if a group is sent, we can capture one of their number for interrogation."

fendrin
2016-05-30, 09:31 AM
Tyr

Tyr frowns.

"I was talking worst-case scenarios. Whether we intend to disrupt the magic or not is different from whether or not we do disrupt it. Without knowing what is causing it we can't be sure what will or won't disrupt it. As for the plan to draw them out..."

He ponders, then shakes his head.

"As much as I normally like to fight on my own terms, we would end up fighting cultists no more magical than you or I, and in the meantime the true culprits will have time to prepare. We would squander resources on an unnecessary fight an make a necessary fight harder. I'm not advocating a full frontal assault in broad daylight, though."

A sly grin crosses his face.

"We should get some rest, then slip into town a couple hours after midnight. Keep a low profile and above all silence. We go direct to the Mayor's house and break in quietly. If we are careful we can get in, kill the woman we saw, and slip back out without causing a huge uproar. We leave town again and follow-up on the morrow. If the situation has been resolved, great. If not, we can check out the lake then."

Hella Lugosi
2016-05-30, 03:29 PM
"Ok, our options seem to be the lake, the face in the window, or the shrines." He mulled over the options for a moment, before speaking up again. "The floating rock's seem like the most obvious place to start, you know, what with the..." He gestures wildly towards the sky. "Personally, I'd rather not go in too guns blazing with the inquisition right now, lest we announce are presence a little too loudly. They may know that we're Night Police, but we haven't given them an excuse to fortify against us yet. If we strike the shrines, it won't be too long before we encounter organised resistance. As for the face in the window... Gods know what's going on in there."

Comissar
2016-05-31, 04:27 PM
Akemi gives Tyr a long look before speaking. "We have no guarantee of the woman still being there. If she is still there, simply killing her won't help us in rooting out any other conspirators."

She sighs, looking back to the town, "I'm willing to attempt a midnight infiltration, but only on the understanding that we retreat if they bring unexpected force against us. I don't like going against complete unknowns, and I'd prefer not to needlessly spend lives on a botched attempt."

fendrin
2016-05-31, 06:25 PM
Tyr

Tyr shakes his head in frustration.

"I don't like it either, but from what you've said we've already lost too much of the element of surprise. We have no way of getting more information without tipping off our enemies even more. We either go tonight before they can fully prepare, or we wait a week or so for them to decide it was a false alarm and drop their guard again. Assuming they aren't on the verge of hatching a magical army of lake-creatures."

He shakes his head again.

"No, now that we know that there is a serious magical presence here, we can't ignore it. As for retreat..." he smiles. "I don't intend to die in this crap village. If it is too much to handle, then we leave as fast as possible and call for reinforcements."

He chuckles.

"They're supposed to be pacifists, though - so I doubt we'll have too much resistance. Still, if this doesn't eliminate the lake magic... well, we'd best not get caught."

Tyr looks over at Aldon and the Hound, observing their armor.

"It might be better to split up and run both plans. One group goes to the shrines and destroys a few with as much noise and flair as possible. If the cultists attack, back off until they start to leave, then go destroy a few more; repeat that strategy as long as you can. Basically, keep them occupied, but don't get into a pitched battle if you can help it - with just a few of you there is too high of a risk of being overwhelmed."

"At the same time, those of us better at stealth head to the Mayor's house and take care of things there. The shrine attack should draw off the bulk of the defenders - if there are any to begin with. If these folks were that militantly organized I doubt they would have been labeled 'pacifist'."

Linken
2016-06-01, 09:30 AM
Thing is, there's lots of things those shrines could do upon contact, none of them good (for us). For example, it could be enchanted with a charming spell that could make those not authorized to touch it disintegrate, or even, upon contact, enchant you and slave you into working on the shrine, a smile on your face. Sam sighs. She's rambling again and she knew it. She doubted pacifists would have a disintegration spell on their shrines, and she doubted the Magi in this village were all too powerful (otherwise they'd have sent a less new squad. Or so she thought.). Still, either way, don't touch the thing. Maybe cut off a chunk of it for me and the others to examine, but no more. Might lose its power once it's separated, who knows?

Either way, I'd happily join up on the whole skulking around thing. Us Halflings are suprisingly good at it! Her happy, cheery smile returns to her face.

Grek
2016-06-01, 06:06 PM
"Can do. My axe will behead a statue cleanly enough, and I have this to wrap it with." The Hound draws an inordinately long blood-dyed wool scarf from a pocket. It clatters faintly, as if made from chain mail. "Capture team, do you have enough manacles? We need a prisoner to interrogate, if practical. I have spares, of course."

Comissar
2016-06-01, 06:40 PM
Akemi smiles wryly at the Hound's question. "I had not thought to bring manacles. Any you provide would be appreciated. But subdual should not be too challenging if we enter at night, so long as we are quiet enough about it." She nods to herself, "As I already said, I am willing to be party to infiltrating the house. By the sounds of it, Tyr and Sam will be joining me as well, leaving the other three of you to handle the shrines. Tyr..?" She her head toward the man, studying his eyes as she did, "This plan is your idea, now's the time to say if you had intended the groups to be anything else. We all need to be in agreement on this, after all."

fendrin
2016-06-01, 07:19 PM
Tyr

Nodding to Akemi, Tyr says:
"You understood my intentions correctly. For this operation that seems to be the optimal division."

Eying the manacles, he adds:
"I was not intending to take any prisoners... but I see the value in having an interrogation subject. The mayor, perhaps. On the other hand, to extract someone quietly they will need to be thoroughly subdued in other ways as well - preferably unconscious to prevent struggling or calling for help. Sufficiently scared would work too, but that has greater potential for failure."

He looks back to Akemi.
"If we do take a prisoner, I'll need you to carry them. I am strong here..." he taps his temple. "...but not so much here." He taps the bicep of his other arm. "Can you bear such a burden and still remain hidden and silent?"

Grek
2016-06-01, 07:36 PM
The Hound passes over a pair of manacles to Tyr, along with the key and his whistle. "As I said, if practical. If you can't do it safely, your life comes before a cultist's."
Common, Medium-sized Manacle with a Simple lock. DC 30 Escape Artist or DC 26 Strength check to break free, DC 20 to pick the lock. Hardness 10, 10 hit points.

Croverus
2016-06-01, 08:40 PM
Aldon hefts his net, "Ay'v got me net tah capture a heretic is we be needin' tah question one. Could be doin' with ah bit o' trashin'." He doesn't have much of his own thoughts to add, as he likes how the plan sounds. He's looking forward to seeing this team in action.

Hella Lugosi
2016-06-02, 03:00 AM
Dorian mulled over Tyr's proposal before coming to a conclusion. "Sounds good. I guess that makes me part of Team Smash then." He removes his mace from his belt, re-familiarising himself with the heft. "Right. I'm out of questions. We all good to go?"

Linken
2016-06-02, 06:58 AM
Sam shakes her head, then peers right up at everyone in the group. Nah, I'm good! Anyway, as I said, does anyone have any requests for potions they want me to give them once we get into nighttime? I can only make two at maximum. Don't want to accidentally blow us all up by trying to overextend my talents, after all! She grins as she starts thinking up what to make and how to make them. So many different possibilities. So much time.

Comissar
2016-06-02, 08:18 AM
Akemi frowns at Tyr's statement. "My training was far more about using my opponents strength against them... I suppose I am carrying less weight than you, I need only my Bo, but I cannot say for sure that I can carry a man on my own..."

She shakes her head, "We should prepare for the possibility of needing to capture a person while they are conscious. So long as we move fast, that should not be an issue. Unless..." She tilts her head down toward Sam, "Are you able to provide some kind of strength enhancing philter?"

Linken
2016-06-02, 08:31 AM
Sam would reach into a random pocket, pulling out a formula book and opening it to a random page. Hmmmm! I did have something about increasing one's lifting strength, but I tore it out of the book. Never thought I'd need it.

...Drat.

She looks frustrated as she flicks through, before she realises. Turning back a few pages, her eyes light up, delighted. Aha! Yeah, I do have something, but it'd impede your sneaking a loooooooot. It'd make you bigger and therefore stronger, able to carry more things via channeling several various growth hormones and various material growth items (such as growing metal, wood, cloth, et cetera). That'd make your clothing and staff grow with you, as well as anything you had on your person (except for any other live things, of course). Don't ask questions, it's just science. Might not be enough to carry a man, but who knows? Depending on how strong you are, and you look REALLY strong, you could potentially just drag him away instead. Depends on his weight and height, really. I could also make something that'd make you go faster if you chose to go this route, so if you don't mind carrying me too while you're going that way, that'd be great. I mean, let's' say the typical human weighs 100 pounds, and what you're carrying weighs about 45. That's 145 pounds that you'd have to be carrying. That's bad. However, if you dragged him instead of just picking him up, that'd let you be quieter and move faster. And with the stuff I can make, makes you go even faster by stimulating the things that make you go fast in your brain and legs. Easy! She halts her ramble, looking at Akemi as if everything she said made perfect sense. Which it did. Looks like she's waiting on input.

Science, everybody.

Comissar
2016-06-02, 09:05 AM
Akemi raises an eyebrow at Sam's explanation. "You're sure such concoctions are safe? ... If it is, I feel we should only use it as a last resort. It will be harder to remain discrete if one of us is significantly enlarged." She pauses, a contemplative look on her face, "If we're assuming our potential hostage weighs 100 pounds, I think I could just about handle carrying them. I'd have to rely on you two to keep me safe if I did, though."

fendrin
2016-06-02, 09:07 AM
Tyr

"Remember, 'Team Smash' - your role is a distraction, so hit-and-run. Use the darkness of the night to your advantage. Try not to let the cultists get a good look at you, or else they may realize that there are only three of you. If that happens, they might realize that you are just a distraction and start looking for us."

He smiles.

"To a great extent, our mission - and maybe even our lives - are in your hands. Don't take it lightly. We'll find you when we're done, but I'm planning on taking our time to do it right, so don't worry if it takes longer than you might expect. If we run into serious trouble, we'll blow the whistle. Two short and one long means you should come help, short-long-short-long means we're beyond saving and you should go get reinforcements rather than attempt a rescue."

Turning to Sam, he says:

"If we can get out fast enough, stealth isn't as necessary for our exit. How many speed enhancers can you make?"

Linken
2016-06-02, 09:35 AM
The halfling replies to Akemi first, talking swiftly- as if she's explained this sort of thing a thousand times before. Which she has. Except to skeptical peasants instead of smart people. Well, I drink them sometimes, and nothing's happened to me! Sure, some of the things that REALLY impact stuff can hurt your common sense or your intelligence or anything else, but they only work for me! Anyone else who drinks them just feels sick for about an hour if they can't stomach it. So, yes, they're completely safe. The Night Police wouldn't have hired me and allowed me to use them if they weren't, especially the ones that can regenerate you or make you bigger or heighten your reactions- stuff that'd benefit us, you know? Either way, completely safe. Work all the time, too.

She takes a deep breath in between chattering, and turns to Tyr.

I can make two, and they'll only last for a couple minutes. If my calculations are correct, though, they increase your speed by thirty feet each. So, if you took one, Tyr, and Akemi took one, assuming you humans go at thirty feet every, let's say, six seconds, add the speed-enhancers, that's sixty feet every six seconds, ten feet a second. Another breath. This'd mean I can't really do anything. Then again, if I left my backpack here and only took the necessities, such as my mutagens, one of you could get me away, too.

fendrin
2016-06-02, 10:09 AM
Tyr

Tyr shakes his head.

"If it comes down to it, you two take the speed enhancers and run. I can easily evade pursuers and make it out on my own. This is my plan, and I will bear the brunt of the risk. Besides, if we split the pursuers, we'll all have an easier time getting out."

cecil1994
2016-06-04, 11:09 AM
Hours later, night is fully underway, and the simple townsfolk are off dreaming of kelp sandwiches and whatnot. It's 3 AM. Both teams move out (with doubts of floating monoliths and eldritch magics twitching in their heads), and arrive at their respective sites.

One group stands in front of an abandoned shrine. It's carved of an unfamiliar stone, dotted with runic glyphs and opulent kelp-curtains. A single candle is lit, placed on the towering altar like an appeasement- or a precaution.

The other team lurks in the hamlet's main street. All lights are long gone. It seems it's only you and the rats out tonight.

fendrin
2016-06-04, 12:01 PM
Tyr

Huddled in the shadows with his two squadmates, Tyr glances over at the Mayor's house.

I need more intel.

Whispering to Akemi and Sam, he says:

"I'm going to scout around the Mayor's house so we have a better idea of what to expect. I'll meet you back here in a few minutes. Play it safe - on the off chance I get caught, don't come after me unless you are absolutely certain you can succeed."

With that, he silently slips away into deeper shadows and disappears from sight.

Moving at half speed to take no stealth penalties. Spending a point of inspiration on the stealth.
Stealth [roll0] + [roll1] = 24
Perception: Take 20 for result of 25
Note: I have darkvision.

cecil1994
2016-06-04, 12:07 PM
You don't stumble across anything that out of the ordinary. Just craggy roads, the beginnings of a small forest, and two lovers gazing off over the lake. You pass as unseen as a ghost.

When you pass the back window, however, your eye twitches. There is magic in the air.

Potent stuff, too.

fendrin
2016-06-04, 12:26 PM
Tyr

Making his way back to his companions, he reports his findings in a whisper.

"I saw no guards on the perimeter, but there's definitely potent magic inside, in a back room I'd say. It made my skin crawl. Let's get closer and see if we can get in directly through the back window."

Linken
2016-06-04, 02:45 PM
Sam had her head up, not down, because people aren't going to look out their windows then down. She's being very quiet though, following after Akemi instead of Tyr so as to not disturb any real stealth going on. She whispers back to Tyr.

Ouch. Alright, then, I'll happily do that. Let's just be careful, got two speed enhancers here.

Just her backpack and the stuff in it, bringing her down to a Light load. However, she took a few things, notably her Surgeon's tools and Healer's kit, which can just be assumed to be in pouches of their own. She also left her Morning Star, leaving her equipped with a dagger and a crossbow, with bolts.

Also, she doesn't have darkvision, but I'm gonna assume that there's at least SOME distance she can see forward.

cecil1994
2016-06-04, 06:15 PM
There aren't any lightposts or torches here, but the glow of the moon allows you to see a decent way forwards.

You're good.

Grek
2016-06-04, 06:35 PM
The Hound stares at the candle from within the darkness, carefully examining it for some hint of its purpose. The amount of wax dripped onto the altar coupled with its present size should indicate the original length of the wick. This should, in turn, reveal how long the candle has been here and how long it is intended to continue burning.

[roll0] Perception. Other notes: The Hound has 60' Darkvision and an extra +2 on Illusion saves.

cecil1994
2016-06-04, 06:55 PM
The Hound stares at the candle from within the darkness, carefully examining it for some hint of its purpose. The amount of wax dripped onto the altar coupled with its present size should indicate the original length of the wick. This should, in turn, reveal how long the candle has been here and how long it is intended to continue burning.

[roll0] Perception. Other notes: The Hound has 60' Darkvision and an extra +2 on Illusion saves.

The altar... is clear of wax. The candle burns on cheerfully, unaware of the fundamental laws it violates by simply existing.

Your keen gaze does reveal one thing of note, however- the rock that the shrine is built around? Is the same substance that floats above the lake, like an aloof god.

Grek
2016-06-04, 07:19 PM
With a frown, the Hound gestures to the candle on the altar and whispers tersely, "Enchanted. Related to the Lake. Snuff it?"

Croverus
2016-06-04, 08:15 PM
Aldon looks around for any sign of some altar guards, or for any markings that might be a trap of some kind.

Perception [roll0]

cecil1994
2016-06-04, 09:48 PM
Aldon looks around for any sign of some altar guards, or for any markings that might be a trap of some kind.

Perception [roll0]

A slight script decorates the stone beneath the candle.

"DO NOT EXTINGUISH. NOT YET FULLY GROWN."

Comissar
2016-06-05, 03:04 AM
Akemi nods, circling around to the back of the building. Forced to rely mostly on the other two in the low light conditions, she simply ensured that she kept Tyr within her field of vision as they moved. On reaching the back, she drops into a crouch between two buildings opposite the house, watching for movement as best she could in the dark.

So, as a Human Akemi lacks both Low-Light and Darkvision, but with the moon out I'm assuming it is at least low-light conditions. She'll keep Tyr in her line of sight when he's not actively trying to recon the area to ensure she doesn't get separated from the group. Nevertheless, she will be attempting to see what she can of the house from the back to check that they aren't walking into a trap.

Stealth Check to get round - [roll0]

Perception to see in (leaving out potential modifiers for light level) - [roll1]

Akemi will only be taking her Bo with her, leaving her bag and its contents behind for the mission.

Hella Lugosi
2016-06-05, 03:21 AM
"Snuffing it may prove... counter productive if they thought to include counter measures. But if we're here to trash this place then, we might as well. I mean, we're pretty much bound to stumble across them sooner or..." Dorian trails off, staring at the curtains, almost amused at their existance. They really do find every use for kelp. Still, a job was a job. "Hey." He readied a bottle of Alchemist's Fire before turning to the rest of his team. "Reckon it's worth seeing if kelp's flamable?"

Perception check to notice anything odd about the place. [roll0]
Spellcraft check to see if there's any spells lying in wait to be activated if we get too rowdy. [roll1]

cecil1994
2016-06-05, 08:08 AM
Akemi nods, circling around to the back of the building. Forced to rely mostly on the other two in the low light conditions, she simply ensured that she kept Tyr within her field of vision as they moved. On reaching the back, she drops into a crouch between two buildings opposite the house, watching for movement as best she could in the dark.

So, as a Human Akemi lacks both Low-Light and Darkvision, but with the moon out I'm assuming it is at least low-light conditions. She'll keep Tyr in her line of sight when he's not actively trying to recon the area to ensure she doesn't get separated from the group. Nevertheless, she will be attempting to see what she can of the house from the back to check that they aren't walking into a trap.

Stealth Check to get round - [roll0]

Perception to see in (leaving out potential modifiers for light level) - [roll1]

Akemi will only be taking her Bo with her, leaving her bag and its contents behind for the mission.

You all get around to the back window easily enough. It's hard to be noticed when everyone's asleep.

And Akemi can see about 10 feet in front of her face. She'll be fine.

"Snuffing it may prove... counter productive if they thought to include counter measures. But if we're here to trash this place then, we might as well. I mean, we're pretty much bound to stumble across them sooner or..." Dorian trails off, staring at the curtains, almost amused at their existance. They really do find every use for kelp. Still, a job was a job. "Hey." He readied a bottle of Alchemist's Fire before turning to the rest of his team. "Reckon it's worth seeing if kelp's flamable?"

Perception check to notice anything odd about the place. [roll0]
Spellcraft check to see if there's any spells lying in wait to be activated if we get too rowdy. [roll1]

There are two active spells in this place- an Evocation on the candle, and an Enchantment on the altar's glyphs. You don't know what they do, however.

fendrin
2016-06-05, 09:08 AM
Tyr

After leading their trio to the back of the house, Tyr takes a quick look inside, looking specifically for two things: whether there is anyone in the room, and whether or not this window can be opened.

Just a quick peek, the emphasis is on staying unseen.
Perception [roll0]

cecil1994
2016-06-05, 09:51 AM
Tyr

After leading their trio to the back of the house, Tyr takes a quick look inside, looking specifically for two things: whether there is anyone in the room, and whether or not this window can be opened.

Just a quick peek, the emphasis is on staying unseen.
Perception [roll0]

The window can be opened.
But there's one person in the room- a sickly, sleeping child, looking like he's not too far away from death. Magic congeals in the air around him.

He tosses in his sleep. Eyes flicker open, and you catch a glimpse of a putrid green iris.

fendrin
2016-06-05, 10:13 AM
Tyr

Whispering, he fills in the other two.
"One child, sleeping. Seems sick. Heavy presence of magic in the room. Getting in the window should be no problem..."

Tyr's whisper trails off, and a look of hesitation crosses his face.

...but will killing the child help? It could be the work of a parent desperate to save their sick child. I'd rather not kill an innocent if it can be avoided.

What kind of magic is it? Spellcraft: [roll0]

Linken
2016-06-05, 10:23 AM
Sam requires a boost to look inside, too, but once she's given one she also presumably feels the vile magic in the air and sees the sick child. She'd hesitate for a moment, before putting two and two together. Slow sacrifice? Or healing? She didn't know. She did know that she needed to figure it out, though.

[roll0]
Terrible roll, there- continuing to take 10 on Sneak.
Taking 10 on Perception.

Croverus
2016-06-05, 11:54 AM
After picking up a stone and pocketting it, Alfon glances at the candle and the glyphs. He tries to recall what kind of magic these could have on them.

Spellcraft checks for candle[roll0] and the glyph [roll1]

cecil1994
2016-06-05, 05:24 PM
The magic is beyond you- it's deep, desperate, and complex. But you can tell that it's Conjuration.

(This is for Sneak, btw)

cecil1994
2016-06-05, 05:25 PM
After picking up a stone and pocketting it, Alfon glances at the candle and the glyphs. He tries to recall what kind of magic these could have on them.

Spellcraft checks for candle[roll0] and the glyph [roll1]

The candle is simple- a basic charm, a fire that burns forever. You can feel its heat from here.

The glyph is... something else.

Grek
2016-06-05, 06:47 PM
The Hound reaches over and snuffs out the candle between two leather-gloved fingers. Assuming nothing overtly magical happens as a result, the mystical artifact is bundled away within a scarf, ready for Sam to identify the significance of later.

Comissar
2016-06-05, 07:07 PM
Akemi nods at Tyr, before cupping her hands to give Sam the boost she needed to enter the window. Following swiftly after, she gave the child a cursory once-over. Her face remained expressionless as she did so, but her grip on her Bo tightened, knuckles whitening. Without looking away from the child, she whispered "Sam. Is the person behind this child's bewitching likely to still be in this building? How much contact with them would they need to maintain the spell?"

cecil1994
2016-06-05, 10:36 PM
The Hound reaches over and snuffs out the candle between two leather-gloved fingers. Assuming nothing overtly magical happens as a result, the mystical artifact is bundled away within a scarf, ready for Sam to identify the significance of later.

When the fire goes out, the blistering heat dies away. (As it does.)

The rock that the shrine is built around? Begins to quiver. A crack mars its pristine face.

Linken
2016-06-06, 11:25 AM
This might not even be the kid at all. Could be something inside the kid, or a conjured thing, or anything in-between. Can't put my finger on it... it's conjuration magic for sure, though. Such things can be left alone and still do whatever they want. Sam looks over the child and stands as tall as she can, trying to examine them further without touching or rousing them.

Heal check to examine if they have anything else wrong with them on the exterior. No, I'm not cutting them up.
[roll0]

cecil1994
2016-06-06, 11:39 AM
This might not even be the kid at all. Could be something inside the kid, or a conjured thing, or anything in-between. Can't put my finger on it... it's conjuration magic for sure, though. Such things can be left alone and still do whatever they want. Sam looks over the child and stands as tall as she can, trying to examine them further without touching or rousing them.

Heal check to examine if they have anything else wrong with them on the exterior. No, I'm not cutting them up.
[roll0]

Pustules dot his skin. Hair has fallen out. He's cold to the touch, yet still clinging to life somehow.

By all rights he should have died weeks (if not months) ago.

Linken
2016-06-06, 12:07 PM
My goodness... This magic has kept the kid alive for a long time, I can tell. Possibly diseased. His hair's all over, and his body has so many cysts... Sam hesitates, before backing up. Poor kid should be dead, they're obviously keeping him alive for something. She just couldn't figure what out. She debates the ethics of humane euthanization.

Comissar
2016-06-07, 09:19 AM
Akemi nods, "If we cannot force someone here to revoke the magics inflicting this state upon him, we will end his torment ourselves before we leave. We can do at least that much for him."

fendrin
2016-06-07, 11:34 AM
Tyr

Tyr shakes his head before adding his own whispers.

"You are assuming that it the magic is what is keeping him alive. He might be the source of the magic and his illness a side-effect it. We should end his misery now - if he is the source, then our work is done. If the magic is keeping him alive, then he would die anyway when we stop it, and probably with far more suffering."

He sighs resignedly.

"I can make it quick, but not painless. Also it would be quite obvious that it was done by someone. Far better if one of you had some poison, or were to smother him with a pillow - either of which might be mistaken for him succumbing to the disease. If neither of you are willing to do it, I'll do it by the blade."

cecil1994
2016-06-08, 12:36 AM
This endeavor, regardless of its outcome, is one that requires stealth. And that prerequisite has been met... mostly.

A floorboard creaks beneath Tyr's feet. The snoring from next room over is unchanged... but the child's eyes flicker open.

He stares, with deep and piercing eyes that don't seem quite human anymore.

"He... hello?"

He coughs. A kelpen mucus sputters out of his throat.

Linken
2016-06-08, 08:38 AM
Sam is taken aback for a second, and she'd turn, giving a very judgmental stare to Tyr, before looking back at the child and hesitating. Could she really do something like this? Well, yeah, she could, easily, but killing a child is something that's rather low on her priorities. Looking down at the mucus, she blinks. Could get a sample of that, maybe, but... She just didn't know what to do. She freezes, waiting for the others to act first.

Comissar
2016-06-08, 06:26 PM
Akemi fights back a grimace as the child wakes, "Nothing's changed. Let's get moving, we can come back if we need to."

cecil1994
2016-06-08, 06:45 PM
Akemi fights back a grimace as the child wakes, "Nothing's changed. Let's get moving, we can come back if we need to."

The child stammers out a few choked words.

"Who... who are you? Did Hawle send you?"

Also, stuff is happening back at the shrine. Are those members still here?

Grek
2016-06-09, 03:14 AM
((Still here, waiting on the other two, is all.))

fendrin
2016-06-09, 01:52 PM
Tyr

Damn, why'd the kid have to wake up. That forces our hands. Well, my hands. Looks like these two aren't going to be much of a help. I'll just have to do it myself. Better if I can get him back to sleep though.

In his most soothing voice, Tyr tries to calm the child.

"Just relax and go back to sleep. We're going to take care of everything. It's all going to be okay."

Bluff [roll0]

Grek
2016-06-09, 02:51 PM
Rather than wait to see what the altar will do, the Hound draws steel and swings with a swoosh and a crack!

Power Attack Sunder Attempt [roll0] attack roll, [roll1] damage.

Hella Lugosi
2016-06-09, 03:49 PM
Dorian does his best not to drop the vial of Alchemist's Fire as the rock shakes, doing his best to return it to his bandolier with unsteady hands, and pretends not to notice the panic flooding his voice. "WELL THEN, mission accomplished, shrine disrupted, better move away from the angry shaky rock thing before it gets too angry and shaky." He begins taking a few tentative steps away from the rumbling shrine, stopping himself as he notices The Hound begin to wail on it. "Or that, that works too."

I'm still around, just had a hard time updating posts with countryside WiFi. I'll edit for dialogue colour when I'm back at my PC.

cecil1994
2016-06-09, 04:19 PM
Tyr

Damn, why'd the kid have to wake up. That forces our hands. Well, my hands. Looks like these two aren't going to be much of a help. I'll just have to do it myself. Better if I can get him back to sleep though.

In his most soothing voice, Tyr tries to calm the child.

"Just relax and go back to sleep. We're going to take care of everything. It's all going to be okay."

Bluff [roll0]

He coughs, and relaxes a little. "But Mrs. Hawle said I wasn't supposed to talk to scary men."

cecil1994
2016-06-09, 04:55 PM
Rather than wait to see what the altar will do, the Hound draws steel and swings with a swoosh and a crack!

Power Attack Sunder Attempt [roll0] attack roll, [roll1] damage.

Dorian does his best not to drop the vial of Alchemist's Fire as the rock shakes, doing his best to return it to his bandolier with unsteady hands, and pretends not to notice the panic flooding his voice. "WELL THEN, mission accomplished, shrine disrupted, better move away from the angry shaky rock thing before it gets too angry and shaky." He begins taking a few tentative steps away from the rumbling shrine, stopping himself as he notices The Hound begin to wail on it. "Or that, that works too."

I'm still around, just had a hard time updating posts with countryside WiFi. I'll edit for dialogue colour when I'm back at my PC.

The Hound shatters rock in one metallic swing. Dust clouds the air, momentarily blinding all of you- and the distinctive crackling of joints swiveling fills the night sky.

The shroud clears, revealing... an empty shell where the boulder was. The scent of yolk envelopes night and nostrils alike.

Roll perception.

Comissar
2016-06-09, 05:14 PM
Akemi bit back a frustrated comment at the boy's protests. The longer he talked, the more likely they were to be found out. She glanced meaningfully down at Sam. Of all of them, she was by far the least threatening, hopefully she'd be able to calm him down enough to return to sleep. Hoping the Halfling caught her meaning, she tilted her head to try and listen for any change in the snores from the next room.

Failing a peaceful solution... Her knuckles whitened as she tightened her grip on her Bo. It wouldn't be a pleasant duty, but at least they could remain undiscovered if she was quick about it.

Perception to try and hear if the group's been noticed by anyone in the house other than the kid.

Perception - [roll0]

Grek
2016-06-09, 05:27 PM
Perception: [roll0]

"An... egg?"

cecil1994
2016-06-09, 06:25 PM
Akemi bit back a frustrated comment at the boy's protests. The longer he talked, the more likely they were to be found out. She glanced meaningfully down at Sam. Of all of them, she was by far the least threatening, hopefully she'd be able to calm him down enough to return to sleep. Hoping the Halfling caught her meaning, she tilted her head to try and listen for any change in the snores from the next room.

Failing a peaceful solution... Her knuckles whitened as she tightened her grip on her Bo. It wouldn't be a pleasant duty, but at least they could remain undiscovered if she was quick about it.

Perception to try and hear if the group's been noticed by anyone in the house other than the kid.

Perception - [roll0]

The snores continue unabated. It seems the only thing that knows you're here is the kid- who stares at you with inquisitive, pained eyes.

cecil1994
2016-06-09, 06:27 PM
Perception: [roll0]

"An... egg?"

You catch movement out of the corner of your eye. A vague, blurred shape... and then it comes into focus.

There's some sort of creature in front of the remains of the stone walls. It appears to be... blending in?
Whatever it is, it's not moving. Watching, perhaps. Waiting.

Grek
2016-06-09, 06:44 PM
Rule one to being a highly effective officer: Communication!

Without letting the unidentified entity out of sight, the Hound gestures with her off hand and addresses the team tersely. "Single unknown suspect, hidden, one pace forward. Chameleon or invisibility suspected. Identify yourself, creature. Do not resist or attempt escape." While it would certainly be nice to question whatever this... thing... is, the Hound had little hope that the current situation wouldn't end with an axe going through an invisible neck followed promptly by incineration of the body. Magical types always think they're going to be the exception, the one that gets away.

Linken
2016-06-10, 09:54 AM
Sam understood the cue perfectly, but it takes her a moment to get the words out. She leans up, so as to try and get eye level with the kid (or at least so she could see him) and speaks in her softest, kindest voice. Hi... I'm Sam, and I'm just a doctor, I'm here to help you get better. Just... Close your eyes and be as still as you can, okay? It won't hurt at all, and it'll be over before you know it. She tries to calm the kid down enough so he can just shut his eyes. She wasn't good at persuasion, though, and is obviously somewhat disturbed at the fact that a kid's being kept alive and probably in quite a bit of pain.

[roll0]
c'mon, live the dream! Bluff check, maybe add a +5 bonus since Sam does look like a doctor, what with all those pouches and stuff on her.

... Aw, bad roll.

cecil1994
2016-06-10, 10:19 AM
Sam understood the cue perfectly, but it takes her a moment to get the words out. She leans up, so as to try and get eye level with the kid (or at least so she could see him) and speaks in her softest, kindest voice. Hi... I'm Sam, and I'm just a doctor, I'm here to help you get better. Just... Close your eyes and be as still as you can, okay? It won't hurt at all, and it'll be over before you know it. She tries to calm the kid down enough so he can just shut his eyes. She wasn't good at persuasion, though, and is obviously somewhat disturbed at the fact that a kid's being kept alive and probably in quite a bit of pain.

[roll0]
c'mon, live the dream! Bluff check, maybe add a +5 bonus since Sam does look like a doctor, what with all those pouches and stuff on her.

... Aw, bad roll.

The kid snuggles back into his bed. "Mrs. Hawle... doctors... sleep."

He fades back into his dreams. The house is silent once more.

cecil1994
2016-06-10, 10:28 AM
Rule one to being a highly effective officer: Communication!

Without letting the unidentified entity out of sight, the Hound gestures with her off hand and addresses the team tersely. "Single unknown suspect, hidden, one pace forward. Chameleon or invisibility suspected. Identify yourself, creature. Do not resist or attempt escape." While it would certainly be nice to question whatever this... thing... is, the Hound had little hope that the current situation wouldn't end with an axe going through an invisible neck followed promptly by incineration of the body. Magical types always think they're going to be the exception, the one that gets away.

The blurred shape tilts its head... and phases into view.

The second thing you notice are the scalene eyes. The third thing you notice are the scaled legs, eight in all, that patter with impatient fervor. But the first thing you notice? A mouth full of serrated teeth, large enough to take off a horse's head in one cruel bite.

It stares at you. The runes from the shrine? Dance along its skin, but have the faded consistency of inactive magic.

In the town, fires begin to be lit. Such fickle flickering, reflected in the violet eyes of this... thing.

Hella Lugosi
2016-06-10, 11:02 AM
Dorian scans the room, trying to catch a glimpse of the creature as he readies an Alchemist's Fire in his hand. "Hello beastie... we won't bi-" He is caught off guard for a moment as it fades into view, but adjusts himself, just about managing to keep composed. "That thing does lot look like it wants to negotiate."

Grek
2016-06-10, 05:04 PM
The Hound swears and strikes, imagining the cult converging on this place in mass with dozens more of these enchanted horrors laying in wait all over the village. "No. No it doesn't."

Initiative: 1d20
Attack: 1d20+6 (power attack)
Damage:1d12+10
HP 16/16, AC 18, CMD 17

cecil1994
2016-06-10, 05:20 PM
You can almost see the beast's eyes widen as your axe comes crashing down.

But crash down it does, driving through scales like, well, a really big axe through a newborn monster. Two limbs are completely severed, and the creature lets out an anguished screech (shattering windows across the village). It levels a bloodied and maddened gaze at the Hound.

Linken
2016-06-10, 05:40 PM
Sam breathes a sigh of relief. Her work there was done, at the very least, so she could avoid pain for the kid. She looks towards the two stealthier types for further information on what to do. She listens out for anything that might be of use, too, maybe in the distance, maybe not.

[roll0]

cecil1994
2016-06-10, 05:42 PM
You hear the faint murmurings of a drunken and dreaming mayor: "no... my son... anything".

More importantly, you hear the pained wailing of the butchered (or at least mostly) beast.

Comissar
2016-06-10, 06:06 PM
Akemi watches the young boy carefully for a few more moments, ensuring that he was returning to sleep. Content that he would no longer be an issue, she turned to the other two and nodded her head toward the door. Slowly, taking her time and choosing her foot placement carefully, she made her way to the room's exit. As she reached out to the door, she heard the abrupt wail from beyond the building's walls. Head whipping around, her body tensed and she scanned outside for any hint of danger.

Taking 10 on both Stealth and Perception. Akemi will be moving toward the door and, on hearing the wail, will be trying to see/hear if there's any threat coming toward them as a result of it. Results for both skill checks are 18 when taking 10. Not really expecting to spot/hear anything, but Akemi wasn't expecting it :smalltongue:

cecil1994
2016-06-10, 06:46 PM
Yeah... there's no danger. But you do hear a thump as the mayor's head slams into the woodwork above his bed.

It seems he's up.

Linken
2016-06-11, 06:03 AM
Sam quickly and quietly backs off towards the window, murmuring to her team about the wailing. Uh... I think something triggered something... wasn't us, must be the attacking group. She gulps and looks towards the open window, too, once hearing the thump in the other room. C'mon, we gotta either get out of here, or come up with a bright idea REAL fast. Either run or knock him flat. Or give him my mutagen. I don't know...! She seems jumpy and erratic right now.

Hella Lugosi
2016-06-11, 03:19 PM
Dorian readies his mace and joins the fray, bringing it down towards the wounded creature and trying to ignore his newly forming tinnitus.

Combat Stuff
To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

fendrin
2016-06-11, 04:48 PM
Tyr

Watching the boy to make sure his eyes are closed, Tyr motions for silence.

Slowly, silently, drawing one of his rapiers from it's sheath, he motions for Sam and Akemi to take up positions where the opening door would block them from being immediately seen by someone walking in.

He positions the razor-sharp cold iron point of his blade a mere inch above the boys throat. Merely letting gravity take control of it would be enough to send the child's life-bood gushing forth. He stands, watching the door. What happens if it opens will determine whether or not the little one has seen the sunlight for the last time.

"Readied action" - if someone comes in, Tyr will speak in a low voice, loud enough to be heard across the room, but not so loud as to draw attention from anyone else in the house:
"Stay silent if you want the child to live. If you understand and will cooperate, nod then slowly step into the room and close the door. Do anything else and this night will be his last."

Comissar
2016-06-11, 06:21 PM
Tightening her grip on her Bo in irritation, Akemi gave Tyr a quick nod, stepping so as she'd be out of immediate sight from anyone entering the boy's room. She laid her other hand further down the weapon, preparing herself to strike should a danger present itself.

Akemi's stepping to be behind the door and is readying an attack action on anything that makes an aggressive move towards herself, Tyr, or Sam.

Linken
2016-06-11, 06:27 PM
Sam sets up in a shady place near the window- she's barely visible. Or so she hopes. She unholsters her crossbow and gently loads a bolt into it, trying to remain quiet. She's visibly distressed, though. What if something big and scary bursts through the door?

Taking an action to load the light crossbow then readying an action to fire at anything that makes a hostile move against the group.

cecil1994
2016-06-12, 02:45 PM
Dorian readies his mace and joins the fray, bringing it down towards the wounded creature and trying to ignore his newly forming tinnitus.

Combat Stuff
To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Dorian's mace hammers down on the pitiful beast. Something cracks, and the pale violet light dies.

The beast dies with it. The fires from the village, however, do not.

(Nice job, by the way.)

cecil1994
2016-06-12, 02:48 PM
The mayor's panicked voice rings out across the house.

"Vin, I'm going out, ok? I'll be back soon, don't worry."

The front door opens.

"Oh- Mrs. Hawle will keep you safe."

And the door closes.

Croverus
2016-06-12, 05:12 PM
Aldon stood at the ready with his net, but his two companions make shirt work of the monstrosity that came from the shrine. He looks to the lights going on all over the town and decides a bit more commotion could be useful. Looking for any flammable materials he gathers them up in a pile, taking out flint and steel and stating a fire to draw more attention this way.

cecil1994
2016-06-12, 05:33 PM
Some of the velveted curtails light up as your fire consumes them. Your fire, while not exactly roaring, is bright enough to reveal the villagers closing in on you-a motley gaggle of panicked faces and nervous grasps (of torches and pitchforks, that is).

One figure races ahead of the rest, dressed in finery and adorned with strange (divine!) symbols. He calls out in jeering terror.

"Idiots! Don't you know how hard we've worked to save this town?"

He does not look happy.

Croverus
2016-06-12, 05:36 PM
Aldon glances to the Hound and trying to be quiet enough so only they can hear, asks, "Run or confront?"

Grek
2016-06-12, 11:57 PM
Head shaking, the Hound whispers back, "Neither. We hold the door as a choke-point and call in the cavalry." It was a defensible location, stone walls too hard to force in a timely manner and with a single apparent entrance. The darkness of the night would be of little aid to the weak eyes of the merely human rabble, forcing them to cluster together in the torchlight. Now, if only there were something big and heavy to lay across the entrance...

cecil1994
2016-06-13, 11:18 PM
Head shaking, the Hound whispers back, "Neither. We hold the door as a choke-point and call in the cavalry." It was a defensible location, stone walls too hard to force in a timely manner and with a single apparent entrance. The darkness of the night would be of little aid to the weak eyes of the merely human rabble, forcing them to cluster together in the torchlight. Now, if only there were something big and heavy to lay across the entrance...

There are a few options... but most notable is the large-sized lizard you just butchered.

It's quite big.

fendrin
2016-06-14, 10:37 AM
Tyr

If that's the distraction team, they're doing their job well.

Moving over to Akemi he whispers: "You and Sam take the boy back to camp - with more time and study we might be able to save him. Either way, he'd make a good hostage to get information from the mayor. Make sure he stays still and silent. I'll search this place and leave a note for the mayor, then meet you back at camp."

He then cautiously opens the door to the next room a crack and peers through.

Taking 10 on Stealth for a 21 to avoid any more floorboard incidences.
Take 20 on Perception for 25.

cecil1994
2016-06-14, 07:56 PM
Tyr

If that's the distraction team, they're doing their job well.

Moving over to Akemi he whispers: "You and Sam take the boy back to camp - with more time and study we might be able to save him. Either way, he'd make a good hostage to get information from the mayor. Make sure he stays still and silent. I'll search this place and leave a note for the mayor, then meet you back at camp."

He then cautiously opens the door to the next room a crack and peers through.

Taking 10 on Stealth for a 21 to avoid any more floorboard incidences.
Take 20 on Perception for 25.

The next room is... empty. Well, empty despite the kelp-tapestries, and the apparent icebox (what?), and the slightly ajar front door.

Apparently he's not poor.

Comissar
2016-06-15, 05:21 PM
Akemi blinks in bewilderment at Tyr's plan, she reached out to tap his arm to get his attention. Once she had it, she shook her head, "That wasn't the original plan. We're not here to save a boy, we're here to root magic out of this town." She gestures toward the boy in his bed, "You heard Sam, the boy's dead anyway, he just hasn't stopped moving yet. We need a hostage with value, not one that will die at any moment."

Taking 10 on Stealth to move with Tyr, for a total of 18.

fendrin
2016-06-15, 10:14 PM
Tyr

Perhaps I misjudged her...

Tyr smiles before whispering back. "On the contrary he is an extremely valuable hostage. His father is the mayor and literally dreams of doing whatever it takes to save the boy. We need to know the source of this magic, and the father is the one most likely to be able to answer that along with many other questions we need answers to. A threat to a loved one is often more effective than a threat to the information source."

His smile turns to a frown.

"On top of that, the boy is either the source or the recipient of the magic - we cannot afford to ignore him. Either we take him back to camp or we end his suffering here and now. If he didn't have high value as a hostage, I'd argue for the latter. Curing him would be nice, and would probably get the mayor on our side in a hearbeat... but to tell the truth, I think it is unlikely. I only mentioned it because I thought you two would be more inclined to take him if it were a possibility."

Weren't you hiding by the door? That's the door that Tyr is peeking through, so Akemi didn't have far to go to talk to him.

Comissar
2016-06-16, 06:24 PM
Akemi is quiet for a moment or two as she considers what to say. "Then it makes more sense for you to leave with Sam. You said yourself that you doubted your strength for retrieving a hostage. That has not changed. If you were to press forward, you would struggle to bring anyone you captured back out with you." She glances over her shoulder at where the boy still rests, "If you're set on taking him, then do so. We likely won't learn anything of the magic inflicted on him from him, so we need someone else as well." She holds her Bo out to Tyr, "I'll be fine without my Bo, and I wouldn't be able to carry it and someone else anyway."

fendrin
2016-06-16, 10:04 PM
Tyr

Tyr shakes his head and whispers back to Akemi.
"I don't intend to carry anybody - I intend for the mayor to come to us on his own two feet. It's too dangerous for someone to chase after him. We don't know where he is headed and could easily run into an angry mob and be taken hostage ourselves. Far better to leave a note instructing him to go to a certain place outside of town, alone. He won't want to risk the consequences of disobeying."

Linken
2016-06-17, 07:46 AM
Sam holds her head for a moment, having gotten a slight tick that got her off-balance for a few seconds. She heard the conversation between Tyr and Akemi, though, and was happy to listen. After the tick passes and she's able to think more clearly, the Halfling looks up towards her companions and shakes her head. Looking at Tyr, she starts her little tirade. Jeez, do I look like I can carry a small child? She's right, she's the strongest here so she can carry the kid- if she must. I'd be happier just ending his suffering, but it might be necessary. We ARE here to root magic out, as she said.. Just make sure you don't contract whatever he has, alright? Sighing, she continues. Besides, if Akemi goes straight out and gets the kid out, too, and lays him down somewhere hidden but safe, you and I can go help our allies. Or escort Akemi out. After writing a note, of course. All depends. Sam takes a breath, having finished.

Comissar
2016-06-24, 06:09 PM
Akemi grimaces again, turning her gaze to the child in the bed. "... We do not have the time to discuss this..."

She presses her Bo into Tyr's hands, this time releasing it regardless of whether he actually holds it or not. Hands now free, she reaches down to pick up the boy from his bed. One hand over his mouth, and the other holding him by his waist, she moved quickly over to the window whilst trying to ignore the feeling of the sores against her skin.

Not sure if you want me to make a roll for the grab or not, let me know in the OoC

fendrin
2016-06-26, 06:52 AM
Tyr

Tyr takes hold of the Bo, if only to prevent it from falling and making noise.
What am I supposed to do with this? It'll get in my way if I have to fight... but if necessary I can ditch it. Akemi wouldn't be happy, but it's not like she'd get it back if I were dead or captured, either.

As the child is picked up Tyr swiftly steps up, dropping the bo on the bed and swinging his blade - sending the pommel crashing into the boy's temple with a dull thud.

He explains in a whisper.
"It'll be much easier to get out of town undetected if he's unconscious. Wrap him in a sheet or something to conceal waht you are carrying - I wish we had a sack to put him in, but that will have to do."

He picks up the bo again.

Attack for nonlethal: [roll0]
nonlethal damage: [roll1]