PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Forcecage & Earthquake

theboss
2016-05-27, 01:35 PM
So this combo basically takes 2 rounds and kills you 100%.
Because you can't make reflax save inside of forcecage and then it automatically fails, althought I've read something about that forcecage disables when it's under a broken surfrce, and then you do have a save...
Can someone exlpain it to me? Thanks in advance

Flickerdart
2016-05-27, 01:47 PM
There is nothing preventing creatures inside a forcecage from making Reflex saves. The cage is also much larger than the character, which should help stop them from falling into the fissure (either acting as a wall, or as a floor). Frankly, given that you have just protected the target with an indestructible cube of force, I'd say that even if they do fall in the fissure, they survive unharmed.

InvisibleBison
2016-05-27, 01:54 PM
There is nothing preventing creatures inside a forcecage from making Reflex saves. The cage is also much larger than the character, which should help stop them from falling into the fissure (either acting as a wall, or as a floor). Frankly, given that you have just protected the target with an indestructible cube of force, I'd say that even if they do fall in the fissure, they survive unharmed.

Forcecage is immobile, so the person inside is unable to fall into a fissure. The only problem I see is if the forcecage has some rubble on top, or is completely buried in rubble, the person inside is going to be in trouble when the forcecage expires (assuming they haven't escaped beforehand, of course). But on the whole, a forcecage is pretty good protection against an earthquake.

theboss
2016-05-27, 01:57 PM
There is nothing preventing creatures inside a forcecage from making Reflex saves. The cage is also much larger than the character, which should help stop them from falling into the fissure (either acting as a wall, or as a floor).

What happens if the character is 10 ft. tall and the spellcaster used a cube form on him (which then, it's 10ft forcecage cube).

Frankly, given that you have just protected the target with an indestructible cube of force, I'd say that even if they do fall in the fissure, they survive unharmed.
The thing is, the spellcaster can dispel it's own forcecage as a free action in his turn. I'll explain :
Let's say the spellcaster used a 10ft forcecage on a 10ft tall target, in the next turn he casts earthquake and dispel it's forcecage. What happens then?

Further, you didn't answered me about if the forcecage fails when it's under a broken surface, is it true?

EDIT : *

Forcecage is immobile, so the person inside is unable to fall into a fissure.
But the spell says that when the forcecage is under a broken surface (as in earthquake), it fails.

The only problem I see is if the forcecage has some rubble on top, or is completely buried in rubble, the person inside is going to be in trouble when the forcecage expires (assuming they haven't escaped beforehand, of course). But on the whole, a forcecage is pretty good protection against an earthquake.

It can't be buried, because it was casted before the earthquake.
What happens if the earthquake close when you are in a forcecage?

ATalsen
2016-05-27, 04:15 PM
For most of your questions the version (3.5 or Pathfinder) doesn't matter, but you might want to be clear which you are referring to.

What happens if the character is 10 ft. tall and the spellcaster used a cube form on him (which then, it's 10ft forcecage cube).

The thing is, the spellcaster can dispel it's own forcecage as a free action in his turn.

Not from what I read:
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)

So it IS Dismissible, but doing that is a Standard action, not a free action, for the caster.

"Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. "

I'll explain :
Let's say the spellcaster used a 10ft forcecage on a 10ft tall target, in the next turn he casts earthquake and dispel it's forcecage. What happens then?

The creature has to fit inside the cage or the spell fails, so I'm going to assume the creature fits.
"Creatures within the area are caught and contained unless they are too big to fit inside, in which case the spell automatically fails."

In 3.5, nothing happens except the cage is maybe covered in rubble based on where it was cast (Cave, Cavern, or Tunnel) - the rubble cannot pass through the 10ft "windowless cell" version, which is what you specify here.

In Pathfinder, probably nothing happens, but maybe the cage takes some damage - 8d6 is not a whole lot likely to get thru 30 hardness.

Remember both versions specify
"This powerful spell brings into being an immobile, invisible cubical prison composed of either bars of force or solid walls of force (your choice). "

With the key being "immobile".
You can cast it in midair if you want, for example.

Further, you didn't answered me about if the forcecage fails when it's under a broken surface, is it true?

Nothing in the spell suggests that it fails for having a broken or in fact NO surface under it at all. Again, since its immobile, it doesn’t even have to be cast on a surface to begin with.

The Pathfinder SRD even has a note about it not moving with a ship, so the expectation there is clearly that it floats in mid air, if cast that way.

But the spell says that when the forcecage is under a broken surface (as in earthquake), it fails.

I can't see this anywhere in the spell description, can you provide a link to one of the SRD sites for this, or quote the relevant text here?

EDIT:
Wait, are you thinking about Wall of Force with this part:
"If its surface is broken by any object or creature, the spell fails. "
(which is NOT in the Forcecage spell)

If so, that section for Wall of Force means that if there anything in the way of where the wall is supposed to be placed when it's cast the spell fails, not anything to do with being cast on a floor that is 'broken'.

The "Surface" being talked about in Wall of Force is the surface of the wall itself, not any ground/ceiling/wall or whatever else may be around in the environment.

But again, that's only in the Wall of Force spell description, not the Forcecage spell text.