PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Streams

Regitnui
2016-05-27, 04:32 PM
I play MtG. I play D&D (when I can). They're two separate games. But what if they could be used to supplement the other?

For example; Magic cards used as miniatures/grid markers. The deck of many things consisting of MtG cards put together by the DM. The casters' spells being represented by cards that the DM takes once spent, to be handed back when they prepare new ones. Inspiration and action points represented by appropriate cards with proxied artwork...

Am I delirious from being smacked around by robot wurms, or is there a germ (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKj2RWRgmnd9JRihKdAiynegSuZIkPt Doklmpg4GmS0YCr8xeg5w) of an idea here?

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-27, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't. Firstly, the card protectors are usually sold in packs for an individual deck, so that might be an issue if someone actually uses the card in a deck. They're also a mite big for actual miniatures.

Using land cards for tokens might actually work. Everyone has a bunch they don't need lying around. I wouldn't use them for the actual spells, unless you are using a Spell Point system (like Spheres of Power). But for Inspirition/Stamina/Fate/Whatever points? Just grab a type of land. If you have multiples of these, you can even just use different types of land for the different points.

I like the idea of using joke cards or crummy commons with good art for the Deck of Many Things, but if you have to tell the player what they actually drew, that might not work because it could be highly confusing.

Slipperychicken
2016-05-27, 07:02 PM
My DM is actually running a dnd 5e game set in Innistrad, and he's homebrewed monsters from MtG before. We don't bring actual cards into dnd, but we do use the lore.

Steampunkette
2016-05-28, 04:00 AM
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf

Wizards released Zendikar for D&D. Well. The bones of it.

Regitnui
2016-05-28, 04:10 AM
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf

Wizards released Zendikar for D&D. Well. The bones of it.

Part of what inspired the thoughts above; can it go the other way?

Steampunkette
2016-05-28, 04:21 AM
When I was a teenager I played a game of D&D with a stacked deck of Magic Cards. I would lay out cards to tell the story, which was pretty great.

The players were trying to find the cure for the king's disease. A malady which had, long ago, infected his grandfather. An alchemist and surgeon named Tober had helped to cure the grandfather, and used a special flower's pollen to make a thin honey broth that solved the issue.

So the heroes set out and searched an ancient stronghold for information where they wound up fighting Kobolds.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=201151&type=card

You get the idea. And yes, I used the cards to represent the creatures, too. Each session I'd restack the deck with another set of cards for kjeldoran knights or ouphes or whatever the group was meant to fight and just used stats from the old MMs with refluffing of descriptions.

Eventually they learned that Tober was still alive. Later they learned he was a dragon who studied lesser beings.

When they got into his lair they found out he was a Red Dragon and his price for helping the king was that one of the party members would have to agree to medical experimentation and dissection. They wouldn't go for it and killed Tober.

They got the honey from his hoard of medical knowledge, got back, and saved the king. The king had a big feast, gave the party noble titles, and declared an end to the quest...

The end of The Hunt for the Red Doc Tober.

... I lost friends over that pun. But it was -SO- worth it. 3 months of gaming twice a week (Weds and Sat) over the summer culminated in the uberpun.

Regitnui
2016-05-28, 08:53 AM
The end of The Hunt for the Red Doc Tober.

Damn. I think I'm in love. :smalltongue: That must have been epic! *echoes*

Fumble Jack
2016-05-29, 12:25 AM
My DM is actually running a dnd 5e game set in Innistrad, and he's homebrewed monsters from MtG before. We don't bring actual cards into dnd, but we do use the lore.

One of my favorite planes. Though I think the Curse of Strahd bares some similarity to Innistrad.

Steampunkette
2016-05-29, 04:25 PM
One of my favorite planes. Though I think the Curse of Strahd bares some similarity to Innistrad.

*barely contained rage screaming*

Steampunkette
2016-05-29, 04:48 PM
Ravenloft was I6, an adventure module released by TSR the year after I was born. That's over 30 years ago.

Later the various Ravenloft and Demiplane of Dread stories were compiled into a campaign setting boxed set released in 1990.

Strahd was in the very first freaking adventure. The Curse of Strahd is actually a re-writing of the original adventure, exploring some of the same locations and ideas while adding completely new stuff and expanding on what already existed while currently ignoring the other various Dread Realms that the Dark Powers have constructed (We don't know, for example, whether Azalin and Darkon are even a thing, right now, because of the strong focus on Barovia).

Innistrad was released in 2011. Innistrad was literally meant to capture the "Feel" of Gothic-Horror gaming. Which is what Ravenloft is.

Curse of Strahd bears no similarity to Innistrad. Innistrad is literally BASED on Ravenloft which itself is based on the Curse of Strahd.

Regitnui
2016-05-30, 03:52 AM
*barely contained rage screaming*

My reaction as well, but if these people can't be bothered to read the introduction to the module in the book then it's hopeless. Actually, that's one of the things that makes me go NOPE in a ttRPG. Know what you're playing. Especially since i put a fair bit of effort into distilling it in the pregame packs!

Slipperychicken
2016-05-30, 04:07 AM
My reaction as well, but if these people can't be bothered to read the introduction to the module in the book then it's hopeless. Actually, that's one of the things that makes me go NOPE in a ttRPG. Know what you're playing. Especially since i put a fair bit of effort into distilling it in the pregame packs!

Wait.. you mean all that text in the game manual that doesn't tell me how to get big numbers and kill people... I'm supposed to read it? What is this, some kind of story game? :smalltongue:

goto124
2016-05-30, 04:09 AM

Sincerity mode here: I thought it's bad form to pre-read modules? Or do you mean reading the introduction and nothing more?

Regitnui
2016-05-30, 08:04 AM
Sincerity mode here: I thought it's bad form to pre-read modules? Or do you mean reading the introduction and nothing more?

The introduction. It comes back to the people who'll show up to Greyhawk with a cyborg.