PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ability Minimum Level Precedents

Lanth Sor
2016-05-27, 04:52 PM
So its come to my decision that certain abilities shouldn't appear earlier than certain levels. Immunities are a big culprit. So I thought I'd make a chart showing the First level where an ability should be available.

MIN LEVELS

Level
Abilty

1st
0-level spells, 1st level spellcasting, Sneak Attack Xd6 at level (2X-1)

2nd
Evasion

3rd
2nd level spellcasting

4th
-

5th
3rd level spellcasting

6th
-

7th
4th level spellcasting

8th
-

9th
5th level spellcasting

10th
-

11th
6th level spellcasting

12th
-

13th
7th level spellcasting

14th
-

15th
8th level spellcasting

16th
-

17th
9th level spellcasting

18th
-

19th
-

20th
-

avr
2016-05-29, 08:46 PM
There are a few classes which get Evasion at 2nd level - rogues and monks most obviously. Is there a reason to change that to 3rd?

All 2nd level (+) spells aren't made alike. The tiefling & aasimar racial abilities to call up light & darkness once a day aren't out of line at 1st level IME.

bookguy
2016-05-30, 03:04 PM
I suspect that a big reason that evasion and uncanny dodge aren't available at first level for rogues is to prevent dips. Neither ability is too powerful for a first-level character; they just shouldn't be available to most other classes without a serious multiclass investment. If a game did not allow multiclassing, I'd have no problem giving those to rogues at first level.

The one thing that I can think of offhand that should be restricted away from extremely low-level characters entirely (not just to prevent dips) is damage reduction. That probably shouldn't show up until level four at the earliest.

Actually, another thing is flight. It completely negates so many obstacles and encounters that it should not be available until level five or so. Yes, I know some races, even low race point races, get it at level one. I think that is broken.

Lanth Sor
2016-06-22, 03:26 PM
Evasion level 3 was an oversight I did it from memory not looking at the class. And the spells refers to generic spell casting ability, not independent spell-likes. The list is intended for generic class design as a guide to avoid bad practices.

Jormengand
2016-06-22, 04:09 PM
Sneak Attack Xd6 at level (2X-1)?