PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales How to make the edgiest PC

Noje
2016-05-27, 09:45 PM
Recently, I dm'ed a 5e game for a few friends. One of my players, who had never played a TTRPG before, asked me to help him make the edgiest character. The monstrosity that was created was probably the funniest damn thing I have ever laid eyes on.

First, I gave him my 5 steps to an edgy character:

1. Kill off all of your loved ones in your backstory and give him a tortured past.

2. Make sure he has an abundance of dark, baggy clothing, cloaks, hoods, and useless belts.

3. Make sure that his first name is a synonym for the color black and his surname ends with "-blade."

4. "Lone Wolf" should describe your character perfectly

5. I cannot emphasize that everything you love in the world must hate you, be dead, or dying.

Now, with these guidelines in place he made the wonderful character by the name of Razorblade Spiderblade. Spiderblade was a Tiefling Warlock who took the Fiend path (The complications involved with being half demon and making a deal with one is another can of worms I won't go into right now). After laughing at the 5e spell descriptions for an hour or so, we got him some spells to fit his character (including spider climb, cloud of daggers, and Hunger of Hadar). Reading through the spells, my friend brought up probably the best question that I have ever been asked whilst playing D&D:

"Why do the Tentacles have to be milky?"

Anyway, His character rode a black horse with red eyes and traveled through adventures until he was killed by the very tentacles of milky nature he questioned when he cast Hunger of Hadar while within the radius of the spell. Honestly, we had more fun making the character than actually playing the game anyway.

So, what do you guys think? Is this character pretty edgy or not edgy enough? What other advice would you give when making an edgy character?

Mith
2016-05-28, 12:36 AM
Remember to keep the characters as 2 dimensional as possible to maximize edges.

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-28, 01:01 AM
Can I cast Summon Gastronomie?

goto124
2016-05-28, 03:30 AM
Remember to keep the characters as 2 dimensional as possible to maximize edges.

No, no, your character needs to have 4 dimensions at the very minimum. Do try to grab 7 dimensions to really have all the edges. Of course, the more the merrier!

Steampunkette
2016-05-28, 03:54 AM
The Edgiest PC is not the Darkity Dark Dark Lord of all Darkness seeking redemption or at least Anti-Hero status. That was Edgy 20 years ago.

For edgy, now you need to play a black transgender woman, preferably a princess or noble person, who goes adventuring and generally exists while not conforming to the status quo. Bonus points if she flirts with at least one other member of the party.

Watch the "Nohomo" go from 0 to over 9,000! Enjoy people falling over backwards to excuse their actions as they try to avoid your touch. Feel the awe of the Dudebros throwing their "Best" jokes about trans women at your character. Point out the sexism, transphobia, and racism and brace yourself for the "PC Culture" Backlash.

And then you'll really be on the Edge.

Inevitability
2016-05-28, 07:25 AM
Play a revenant shardmind. You've got literal edges and figurative edge!

sengmeng
2016-05-28, 12:38 PM
I just want to point out that nothing in the rules says you can't put armor spikes on leather armor... and a whip is a semi-viable weapon... and the game has "dungeon" in the title.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-28, 12:45 PM
First, I gave him my 5 steps to an edgy character:

1. Kill off all of your loved ones in your backstory and give him a tortured past.

Needs 500% more torture.

2. Make sure he has an abundance of dark, baggy clothing, cloaks, hoods, and useless belts.

Leather, leather and leather. Also, metal studs everywhere, even when he's trying to sneak around. I don't know why looking like you got lost on your way to the BDSM club is edgy, but it is.

3. Make sure that his first name is a synonym for the color black and his surname ends with "-blade."

Also good candidates are words invovling death or imagery of death. Can't forget RAVEN DARKBLADE.

4. "Lone Wolf" should describe your character perfectly

You simply cannot forget the gritty exposition as he talks to himself in his mind. Some **** like 'The rain was cold and wet. And it still wouldn't wash the sins off of me.'

Freelance GM
2016-05-28, 07:51 PM
Needs 500% more torture.

You simply cannot forget the gritty exposition as he talks to himself in his mind. Some **** like 'The rain was cold and wet. And it still wouldn't wash the sins off of me.'

This was made 10,000 times edgier when I imagined the character was voiced by Ron Perlman.

Inevitability
2016-05-29, 05:43 AM
Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!

d20
First name
Last name (1st half)
Last name (2nd half)

Agony
Beast
Arrow

Dagger
Black
Blade

Ghost
Blood
Blood

Ghoul
Cold
Bone

Gloom
Dark
Crow

Misery
Despair
Dark

Mist
Doom
Demon

Moon
Ever
Death

Pain
Fright
Eye

Raven
Fury
Flame

[Refuses to state first name]
Grim
Heart

Shadow
Hate
Ice

Shudder
Never
Mark

Spider
Pain
Martyr

Talon
Poison
Scar

Twilight
Razor
Shackle

Venom
Steel
Skin

Wander
Storm
Skull

Whisper
True
Snow

Wolf
Vengeance
Sword

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Working as intended, it seems.

goto124
2016-05-29, 06:06 AM
Lemme, lemme!

Shudder BeastHeart
Wolf DarkSword
Wolf StormArrow
Ghoul StormSkull
Whisper HateBlood (I like how Hate's in the list)

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 06:44 AM
Can I cast Summon Gastronomie?Well, I am right now (in a game Gnoll is DM'ing) playing a particular Oathbreaker Paladin/Shadow Sorcerer who is also a teenager girl with white hair and red eyes and dark clothing, obviously with a hood who used to belong to a death cult and was so excessively brainwashed she lost all her emotions and feelings and is used to killing without hesitation if ordered, and while she has no ugly muscles on her body (muscles are ugly, obvious,) she has a STR score of 20 because she is a Chosen of the goddess of the death cult and channels the energy of the Death God through her body. She uses Black-Flame Blade (for those of you who don’t understand, it’s the same as Green-Flame Blade, except with the name changed so it sounds even more emo) as her main weapon, meaning that when she attacks, black flames ripple across her blade.

And her codename in the cult was "Cloud".

Because she makes it rain heads.

You may also add how she’s a Half-Elf, and in this particular campaign specifically, elves are generally portrayed as terrible, hideous monsters who host demons in their bodies, eat babies, scrape away their skin till their bones are gleaming, and do other edgy stuff.

She’s also now a yandere towards one of the party members and will attempt to kill anything in his path. Oh, and this particular party member is also an orphan with white hair who is ruthless against all his enemies. And even he’s a Blade Warlock.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-05-29, 06:52 AM

As an expansion to this: lots of self hate.

When is a character edgy, in a still kind of fun sense? When the NPC's think (s)he's going too far? Won't happen. When the players and DM think he's going too far? That usually ends the game. (I'd hate to see a game end because some dickwad can't stand a black transgender woman wanting to be a Disney princess, as annoying as those princesses can be, but I could imagine walking out of a session starring a rape powered paladin of misogynism and his brother the neo-Nazi clone of Pol Pot raised by Stalin.) It's when the PC himself think's he's going too far.

"I stabbed them again and again. I cried with every motion of my arm and died inside with every drop of blood spilled. But such is my curse, I will turn into Cthulhu unless I bath in the blood of innocent fairy toddlers every time the sun sets and leaves us to the darkness we all carry inside, I most of all. My only comfort is the pain I feel when listening to Linkin Park."

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 07:43 AM
Everything you need to know about creating edgy characters:

1. Appearance
-White or black hair
-Albino white skin
-Red or black or otherwise "evil-looking" eyes
-Variant Option: The color of xis right and left eyes are different. Or they could constantly change. Or xe might have only one eye, the other being gouged out by either a person xe cares about, or a monster who killed xis parents and everyone xe loved.
-Variant Option #2: Xe has both of his eyes intact, but covers one of xis eyes with an eyepatch nonetheless because there is terrible power concealed within xis covered eye and must normally keep it in check
-A beautiful face (or it might be covered with scars)
-Very skinny, or even if xe was muscular, the muscle is tight and never bulging
-Xis body is either flawless OR covered in scars
-Xe has a super smexy tattoo (perhaps the tattoo even gives xim supernatural powers, or is the sign that he is a cursed one/ former member of an evil organization)
-Black clothing/armor, no exception
-A hood, no questions asked

2. Origins
-Cursed parentage (demonic blood etc. meaning that Tieflings are generally ideal)
-Variant Option: Half-something-evil that is not ugly (I'm telling that to you, ugly Half-Orcs)
-Orphaned
-Grew up in a Crapsack world
-Either had all of xis loved ones killed by the antagonists, OR killed all of them ximself in an accident due to xis powers being unleashed in a cataclymsic disaster that xe still considers "MY FAULT"
-Wields vile powers of darkness (Oathbreaker, Sorcerer and Warlock make wonderful edgy characters)

3. Personality
-Has an excessive hate towards either ximself or a particular antagonist
-Variant Option: Has no emotions at all but is ruthless
-Is a lone wolf because xe hates interaction with others
-Variant Option: It's actually because xe fears harming the others due to all xis enemies and/or xis cursed life
-Is used to killing and feels no remorse
-Cruel to enemies
-Variant Option: Actually feels very guilty and wants to kill ximself but is hiding it to everyone else

Anything else people want to add?

goto124
2016-05-29, 09:26 AM
Alternate background: was tortured by own family, because actually liking your family isn't edgy anymore.

Tattoos! Even if their clothes should cover those tattoos. Tattoos will have links to their tragic past.

Impossibly cool weapons, often some combination of:

- katana
- dual wielding
- flames (especially funny-colored flames)
- teeth
- weird impossible shapes
- all sorts of symbols, such as a pentagram
- passed down the family (family = more drama)
- the chosen weapon a la Excaliber (if I mispelled this name, all the better)

Has animal companion been mentioned?

Hamste
2016-05-29, 09:32 AM
My personal favourite from the random names is Shudder Hatesnow...It's just a sentiment I can agree with.

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 10:36 AM
Alternate background: was tortured by own family, because actually liking your family isn't edgy anymore.The sort of "I hate the entire world" angsteen. Yeah.

You could mix certain ideas with "you don't remember your family". Combo that with "they were actually killed by you, but you sealed your own memories to escape the pain" for maximum effect.

Has animal companion been mentioned?Make him ride a dracolich

Mister Loorg
2016-05-29, 03:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2Yni481.jpg

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-29, 03:31 PM
Let's see, he's definitely got the red and black hair...Fur thing down. GRIMDARK name, check. Red eyes, check. Backstory involving the death of those he cared about? Yeah, that's good.

But Shadow also had a case of amnesia. Can we work this into our hypothetical GARIMDERK bad***?

TheThan
2016-05-29, 04:17 PM
Our edgy character also must be the absolute best there is as what he does. Best swordsman? Check, best spell caster ? Check, best thief? Check. He must brood about how there is no challenge in it anymore because nobody can take him in a fair fight.

He must have an Edgy class: hexblade, warlock, assassin, you get the idea, fighters and wizards and rogues don't cut it.

If he worships a god, it must be an edgy god: the god of death, slaughter, depravity etc

One family member must be alive, and be the cause of all of his pain and anguish. Good place to reveal his father is the BBEG. Alternative his little brother or sister is alive, but he/she has been rendered insane by the horrors he/she has witnessed and needs to be protected and taken care of. Thus ensuring he has something to latch onto and keep his humanity.

He must be a half breed. Whatever the other half is, it must be something edgy. Half drow, half vampire, half demon, half dragon, you get the idea.

[edit]
Rolling on the chart just to see what happens:
Raven Grim mark. (Boooring, Trying again)
Pain steel skin (not bad lets try again).
Shadow Razor blade (ok this one is a winner)

GorinichSerpant
2016-05-29, 05:03 PM
If he worships a god, it must be an edgy god: the god of death, slaughter, depravity etc

I feel like there should be a god of edges. One where the conservative worshipers are traditionally edgey and a few hermits that are attracted to edge cases, knife edges, various borders both physical and symbolic, and such. The first group of course think that they are the latter.

Actually, this looks more like an adept school then a religion.

No-Kill Cleric
2016-05-29, 05:55 PM
Don't forget the constant racist or other self-righteous remarks.

Fellow player: Oh, the human's a kitsune? I CAN NEVER TRUST THAT LYING WHORE. SHE CAN CHANGE HER SHAPE AND THEREFORE IS A DECIEVER. I WILL INFORM EVERY NPC THAT THIS PERSON IS A LIAR, WHORE, AND COMPLETELY UNTRUSTWORTHY. I'm a Wayang, I hide from my enemies, which makes me better than a shapeshifter who deceives them.

Same guy, new campaign: I was raised by dwarves, therefore I hate elves. I walk down the street yelling at elves that they should die. I tell elves to their faces that they are incapable, that I hates their kind, and that I refuse to interact with them. I only tolerate them because the human says I should. I destroy public property when I see a half-elf walking in a somewhat flirtatious manner (this was the character introduction). I get angry when NPCs from my home area don't rect to me being a Tiefling, then intimidate them when they whisper within 100 feet of me, even if we're in a library. I'm such a great paladin.

I'm not bitter at all.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-29, 07:21 PM
Wander Everheart

That's not too edgy.

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-29, 08:45 PM
Wander Everheart

That's not too edgy.
Sounds more like a light-hearted, happy-go-lucky adventurer with a penchant for redeeming villains.

othaero
2016-05-29, 08:59 PM
Don't forget yhe constant monologing eveb when people can hear but you pretend they can't

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-29, 10:17 PM
These days you want edgy you make a square that dresses in three piece suits, has a to too-perfect smile, and some horridly old money name like Reginald Damnimrich III. And he's a smarmy vp of sales.

The wraparound effect. Because we've gone so far past edgy we have to roll around to the other end and start over.

Or make the character a sentient vorpal sword. With one of those booby traps like the sword in _Blade_.

Illven
2016-05-29, 11:28 PM
Let's see what I get up

Whisper Despairdeath.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-29, 11:52 PM
Sounds more like a light-hearted, happy-go-lucky adventurer with a penchant for redeeming villains.

He's the anti-edgy guy. Militantly anti-edgy.

goto124
2016-05-30, 12:32 AM

MLP campaigns are a thing...

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-30, 12:36 AM
Regretfully so.

Lord Raziere
2016-05-30, 01:37 AM
First, you create a world made entirely out of swords, darkness, bones, blood, pain, tears, where the only sounds heard is heavy metal. then you make an entire race made out of nothing but swords, who reproduce in the edgiest manner possible, over the top duels where the shards from the constant sword fighting break off from the two combatants and fuse together to make the child.

Then you make the child kill both of their parents at birth because they hate them for being evil, fight their way to become the strongest most edgiest one of them all, where they then realize that they themselves are evil for doing so and thus in their angst, cut a portal use their sharp edged sword-hands and escape to different plane where they cut out half of their own essence and replace themselves with the half of another supernatural creature to escape the pain of being from such an edgy evil heritage, only to become more edgy in the process.

So to escape how even more edgy they become, they attempt even more ways to become less edgy, only to become even more edgy in the process instead, an infinite loop of trying to escape their edgy nature and only become more so because of it. hating themselves exponentially more each time.

and only then, do you have the edgiest character, in all senses of the word.

Gastronomie
2016-05-30, 01:43 AM
then you make an entire race made out of nothing but swordsI am the bone of my sword

RazorChain
2016-05-30, 03:21 AM
Edgy is for teenagers who like to have weird hairdo's, dress up all in black and be angsty.

Real men like me like to play a BADASS!

Edgy
http://anlimara.com/edward/bd/bd2promo-04.jpg

BADASS
http://wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/movies_films_t_the_terminator_010629_-12-1.jpg

goto124
2016-05-30, 03:41 AM
Well yea, we are talking about edgy, not badass :smalltongue:

Wanna put "a vapid human girlfriend fell for the super-edgy half-vampire/werewolf who must now protect her out of love and honor"?

Knaight
2016-05-30, 03:50 AM
Edgy is for teenagers who like to have weird hairdo's, dress up all in black and be angsty.

Real men like me like to play a BADASS!

There is some definite overlap in these categories. See: Snake Plissken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/mediaindex?ref_=tt_pv_mi_sm).

goto124
2016-05-30, 04:11 AM
Erm, 403 forbidden. Might want to upload the image elsewhere.

Gastronomie
2016-05-30, 04:13 AM
The whole point of edgy is that, despite all the cool stuff that it includes (all of which can be utilized to create badass characters if used right), it somehow still manages to be not badass.

Knaight
2016-05-30, 04:19 AM
Erm, 403 forbidden. Might want to upload the image elsewhere.

It's loading for me, but that's all the more reason to have listed the character name.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-30, 08:50 AM

I just puked in my mouth a little bit.

Amphetryon
2016-05-30, 09:02 AM
Name: Adam J. Copeland

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-30, 09:22 AM
It's loading for me, but that's all the more reason to have listed the character name.

Too much concentrated edgy badass? Above our clearance levels? I'm not seeing the image either. Happily I know what he looks like.

Elderand
2016-05-30, 09:29 AM
When every character tries to be edgy and everyone and their mother (which is dead) has a tragic past and is a brooding antihero, the real edgy character is the hopeful farmboy who goes adventuring to save the princess.

Raimun
2016-05-30, 12:41 PM
Armor spikes are the way to go. That should give you some real edge over most other characters, PC or NPC alike.

But in order to really take your edges over the edge, also specialize in bladed weaponry and don't forget to take the spiked gauntlets as well. Most edgy characters don't remember the spiked gauntlets.

Oh... that's not what you were talking about?

Well, just distil the essence of lots of X-men comics, a few Tim Burton movies, add some black dye, Some Random Obscure Anime That No One Has Ever Hear Of, push all of that way over the edge and finally add just a sprinkling of Drizzt for flavor and you are set.

Inevitability
2016-05-30, 02:07 PM

You may want to stay away from the Campaign Quotes thread, then.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-30, 02:11 PM
I am the bone of my sword

I don't know if accidentally implying you are boning your weaponry is a plus or a minus for this character concept at this point.

Also, I would seriously take a look at the cut scenes of Victor Vran. Fun little game, but seriously, I refuse to believe that anyone wrote that dialog seriously without being drunk and/or high. He has a voice in his head and everyone just accepts this fact as if it's perfectly normal and not cause for alarm.

Illven
2016-05-30, 03:00 PM

Seriously?

No one's making you play them, why do you care if they exist?

I don't play them, but as long as their players are having fun I don't pay them any mind.

Theoboldi
2016-05-30, 03:02 PM
Seriously?

I don't play them, but as long as their players are having fun I don't pay them any mind.

To be fair though, that was an incredibly edgy thing for him to say. :smalltongue:

McNum
2016-05-30, 04:31 PM
Besides, somehow taking all the steps of the first post, and then applying it to a pony would be hilarious.

All shall fear Princess Stormshadow! Princess of Hate and Despair! A pitch black coat with a mane and tail made from flowing blood, constantly dripping on the ground. Her horn has a slight crack, making spellcasting cause her immense pain, so naturally, she's a spellcaster. She speaks entirely in overly long monologues about how everyone else just don't understand how life is misery and pain, and how stupid things like friendship and kindness and homework just needs to die in a fire. Of blood. That's on fire. Bloodfire!

Illven
2016-05-30, 05:02 PM
Besides, somehow taking all the steps of the first post, and then applying it to a pony would be hilarious.

All shall fear Princess Stormshadow! Princess of Hate and Despair! A pitch black coat with a mane and tail made from flowing blood, constantly dripping on the ground. Her horn has a slight crack, making spellcasting cause her immense pain, so naturally, she's a spellcaster. She speaks entirely in overly long monologues about how everyone else just don't understand how life is misery and pain, and how stupid things like friendship and kindness and homework just needs to die in a fire. Of blood. That's on fire. Bloodfire!

The Bloodfire that is the exact shade of the darkness of her soul! :smallbiggrin:

Rysto
2016-05-30, 05:12 PM

You say this like it doesn't happen all the freaking time in the MLP fandom.

2D8HP
2016-05-30, 06:27 PM
Grimblade Mourncloud rued birth into this world of pain and especially wearing spiked bracelets and skull epaulets to the mall that matched those adorning Darkfire Stormwind who's tragic deal and awesomicity had no match. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Verily if Darkfire Stormwind had any tears left to shed, surely they would turn to steam upon release due to the bitter fires that rage inside one such as Darkfire Stormwind! Just a gaze from Darkfire Stormwind steel colored eyes (which were set off well by the spiked bracelets, and skull epaulets) was enough to turn one such as Grimblade Mourncloud into a mere tepid stain at the mall!
Darkfire Stormwind tragic deal and awesomicity were such that Darkfire Stormwind only spoke of Darkfire Stormwind in the third person. Darkfire Stormwind just liked to say Darkfire Stormwind!

Madbox
2016-05-30, 07:25 PM
Well, just distil the essence of lots of X-men comics, a few Tim Burton movies, add some black dye, Some Random Obscure Anime That No One Has Ever Hear Of, push all of that way over the edge and finally add just a sprinkling of Drizzt for flavor and you are set.

We need an Edgy Inspiration List!

Adding on to what has already been stated, Weapon Brown is a good example of taking a boring idea and ramping up the edge.

The original Yugioh manga is a good example of edge: bullied wimpy teen is possessed by an ancient spirit that inflicts madness upon said bullies.

For music, Linkin Park is good, but if you wanna be all hipster and name a band nobody in the room is gonna know, try Skinny Puppy.

2D8HP
2016-05-30, 07:36 PM
We need an Edgy Inspiration List!

Adding on to what has already been stated, Weapon Brown is a good example of taking a boring idea and ramping up the edge.

The original Yugioh manga is a good example of edge: bullied wimpy teen is possessed by an ancient spirit that inflicts madness upon said bullies.

For music, Linkin Park is good, but if you wanna be all hipster and name a band nobody in the room is gonna know, try Skinny Puppy.Not at Berkeley High School in 1985! (and Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Joy Division, Love and Rockets, Dead Can Dance etc.)
Why do I have a sudden craving for a wine cooler and a clove cigarette?

JAL_1138
2016-05-30, 08:55 PM
Play a human. They start with 2 Edge and cap at 7, compared to everyone else's starting 1 and cap of 6. Spend karma on it until you max out.

Wait, we're not talking about that kind of edgy...

No-Kill Cleric
2016-05-31, 01:45 AM
Play a human. They start with 2 Edge and cap at 7, compared to everyone else's starting 1 and cap of 6. Spend karma on it until you max out.

I give this post one standing ovation.

Dire Roc
2016-05-31, 01:46 AM

As someone who just started on Shadowrun, I fully approve of this message.

Lorsa
2016-05-31, 01:47 AM

http://orig06.deviantart.net/fae9/f/2012/017/a/4/ponyfinder_by_lardias-d4mpa89.jpg

When every character tries to be edgy and everyone and their mother (which is dead) has a tragic past and is a brooding antihero, the real edgy character is the hopeful farmboy who goes adventuring to save the princess.

Yes, I am a bit confused what exactly "edgy" refers to. I am not familiar enough with its use to understand the concept.

Madbox
2016-05-31, 02:00 AM
http://orig06.deviantart.net/fae9/f/2012/017/a/4/ponyfinder_by_lardias-d4mpa89.jpg

Yes, I am a bit confused what exactly "edgy" refers to. I am not familiar enough with its use to understand the concept.

TVTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkerAndEdgier) describes it pretty well.

To summarize, edgy is where there is an attempt to seem "mature", but in a way that seems like a middle schooler's idea of mature, with excessive sex and violence, and lots of angst.

Lorsa
2016-05-31, 09:26 AM
TVTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkerAndEdgier) describes it pretty well.

To summarize, edgy is where there is an attempt to seem "mature", but in a way that seems like a middle schooler's idea of mature, with excessive sex and violence, and lots of angst.

I see.

When I googled it earlier, I got the following:

edgy
ˈɛdʒi/Submit
adjective
tense, nervous, or irritable.
"he became edgy and defensive"
synonyms: tense, nervous, on edge, highly strung, anxious, apprehensive, uneasy, ill at ease, unsettled, unstable; More
informal
at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.
"their songs combine good music and smart, edgy ideas"

It seems as it is the second use that has completely twisted from continuously being erroneously applied by people who think they are at the forefront of a trend, experimental or avant-garde, when in fact they have no idea of of the current trend, or how overused their "experimental" thing really is.

goto124
2016-05-31, 10:14 AM
This is literally the most edgynthing ever!

Please laugh at my joke.

Miraqariftsky
2016-05-31, 11:31 AM
The Edgiest PC is not the Darkity Dark Dark Lord of all Darkness seeking redemption or at least Anti-Hero status. That was Edgy 20 years ago.

For edgy, now you need to play a black transgender woman, preferably a princess or noble person, who goes adventuring and generally exists while not conforming to the status quo. Bonus points if she flirts with at least one other member of the party.

Watch the "Nohomo" go from 0 to over 9,000! Enjoy people falling over backwards to excuse their actions as they try to avoid your touch. Feel the awe of the Dudebros throwing their "Best" jokes about trans women at your character. Point out the sexism, transphobia, and racism and brace yourself for the "PC Culture" Backlash.

And then you'll really be on the Edge.
Fair point, that, ma'am.

While on the one side it feels like a good creative and roleplaying challenge...

...on the other side, like you say, it DOES seem like a good way to go fishing for bigots amongst your gaming table.

Don't forget the constant racist or other self-righteous remarks.

Fellow player: Oh, the human's a kitsune? I CAN NEVER TRUST THAT LYING WHORE. SHE CAN CHANGE HER SHAPE AND THEREFORE IS A DECIEVER. I WILL INFORM EVERY NPC THAT THIS PERSON IS A LIAR, WHORE, AND COMPLETELY UNTRUSTWORTHY. I'm a Wayang, I hide from my enemies, which makes me better than a shapeshifter who deceives them.

Same guy, new campaign: I was raised by dwarves, therefore I hate elves. I walk down the street yelling at elves that they should die. I tell elves to their faces that they are incapable, that I hates their kind, and that I refuse to interact with them. I only tolerate them because the human says I should. I destroy public property when I see a half-elf walking in a somewhat flirtatious manner (this was the character introduction). I get angry when NPCs from my home area don't rect to me being a Tiefling, then intimidate them when they whisper within 100 feet of me, even if we're in a library. I'm such a great paladin.

I'm not bitter at all.

Sorry to hear, ma'am...

...something tells me he didn't get his comeuppance?

Wander Everheart

That's not too edgy.
First thoughts on seeing THAT name were

Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!

d20
First name
Last name (1st half)
Last name (2nd half)

Agony
Beast
Arrow

Dagger
Black
Blade

Ghost
Blood
Blood

Ghoul
Cold
Bone

Gloom
Dark
Crow

Misery
Despair
Dark

Mist
Doom
Demon

Moon
Ever
Death

Pain
Fright
Eye

Raven
Fury
Flame

[Refuses to state first name]
Grim
Heart

Shadow
Hate
Ice

Shudder
Never
Mark

Spider
Pain
Martyr

Talon
Poison
Scar

Twilight
Razor
Shackle

Venom
Steel
Skin

Wander
Storm
Skull

Whisper
True
Snow

Wolf
Vengeance
Sword

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Let's give this a whirl, shall we?

Pain Despairmartyr
---BWAH HWAH HWAH HWAH!
Whisper Stormarrow
---That actually makes sense.
Agony Despairshackle
---NOT to my personal taste, nope, sorry.
Shudder Stormbone
---...koff. Who the heck makes an erotic-sounding name for a character?
Wolf Bloodice
---Well. Ain't that a classic.
Raven Steelheart
---Makes sense, classic in taste, and a rather flexible name, hmm.
Venom Poisondeath
---BWAH HWAH HWAH HWAH!

Kantaki
2016-05-31, 02:23 PM
That list is fun.
Lets see.

Ghost Furyskull...
Venom Truemark...
Talon Everice...
Whisper Despairarrow...

Maybe they sound better („darker”) in german...

Geist Zornschädel...
Gift Wahrziel(?)....
Klaue Immereis...
Flüster Verzweiflungspfeil...

Nope. Still silly.

And just for fun: Finsternacht Dunkelschwarz. The most ridiculous name I could think of.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-31, 04:49 PM
...Pain Painskin.

I now have the image of a genial Southern Gentleman (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SouthernGentleman) introducing himself as 'Pain Painskin, of the Mississippi Painskins' for some reason.

Fable Wright
2016-05-31, 05:42 PM
Everything you need to know about creating edgy characters:

1. Appearance
-White or black hair
-Albino white skin
-Red or black or otherwise "evil-looking" eyes
*Snip*

2. Origins
-Orphaned
-Grew up in a Crapsack world

Darn. Here I was playing an albino mad scientist with a Hilariously Abusive Childhood* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HilariouslyAbusiveChildhood) to be played for laughs and horror, and suddenly he's edgy. Man, I dropped the ball on that one.

*TVTropes, clicking discretion is advised.

Gastronomie
2016-05-31, 05:57 PM
Darn. Here I was playing an albino mad scientist with a Hilariously Abusive Childhood* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HilariouslyAbusiveChildhood) to be played for laughs and horror, and suddenly he's edgy. Man, I dropped the ball on that one.

*TVTropes, clicking discretion is advised.You know, there are tons of "badass" characters with these characteristics. It's not so much about character creation as it is about role-playing as that character.

Give a good roleplayer and a bad roleplayer the same character, and one may make it look totally badass, while the other may make it look stupid and edgy.

Themrys
2016-05-31, 06:04 PM
I thoroughly disapprove of rape as backstory, but ... for an edgy PC, you want as much of it as you can squeeze into the backstory.

Like, half orc, half elf. Elf mother died during the birth, PC went on to murder orc that fathered her/him ... or perhaps was raised by orc and sexually abused and THEN killed the orc? Perhaps raped the orc in revenge. I mean, no one ever does that, but hey, it does maximize the edgyness.

PC is severely traumatized, but immediately engages in partnered sex upon meeting her/his true love. True love dies, of course. So perhaps old trauma reemerges with some more angst on top.

Also, PC must be beautiful in spite of orc heritage. But could have some insignificant, aesthetically pleasing orc parts to angst about. (Sharper teeth, perhaps, but not big enough to be seen)

Illven
2016-05-31, 06:20 PM
PC is severely traumatized, but immediately engages in partnered sex upon meeting her/his true love. True love dies, of course. So perhaps old trauma reemerges with some more angst on top.

They also have to have had murdered their true love, because they were mind-controlled in some manner.

Character edgy 2. Electric knife boogaloo?

Wander Painscar

Venom Despairdark

Moon Hatedeath. (This one is played by Piccolo from DBZ abridged.)

Icewraith
2016-05-31, 07:35 PM
We need the necessary elements:

Sunglasses.
Katanas.
Studded Leather Jacket with Armor Spikes
Studded Leather Gloves with more spikes.
Vampirism.
Bat Wings.
Angst.
Stubble.
Loosely defined psychic abilities.
Sex magic.

However, to make the character as edgy as possible, we're going to replace the normal race and instead make the character a sentient d100 (not 2d10, an actual d100). If you just can't handle that many edges, we can use a d20 instead.

With an Adamantine exoskeleton.

Bonus points: still a smoker.

This isn't just the Edgiest PC EVER, it's also the Emoticon from Hell (or Meta Knight's significantly shadier looking cousin cosplaying as Deadpool Joins the early 90's X-men Special Issue).

The name:

Midnight. Sorrowravensfear. The Exile.

Gastronomie
2016-05-31, 08:11 PM
You forgot the hood and black clothing.

Also, when you describe the scene in which he appears, the red full moon is out every single time. Even if it was also a full moon last week in that world.

2D8HP
2016-05-31, 08:20 PM
This thread makes me think of this so very much!
http://somanykatanas.com/
:smallfrown:
:smallbiggrin:

FocusWolf413
2016-05-31, 08:54 PM
Seriously?

1) Gross. 2) Look at that again.

To be fair though, that was an incredibly edgy thing for him to say. :smalltongue:

3) And Bingo was his name-o.

4) Now I am legitimately terrified of reality.

Theoboldi
2016-05-31, 09:41 PM
3) And Bingo was his name-o.

So, you said that delberately as an attempt to be ironic? Or you were just trolling? You're kinda talking in riddles now, which is really more confusing than funny.

Though you should probably realize that complaining about ponies just causes more of them to show. Maybe that's your intent already, since I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, but I thought you should have a fair warning since you seem to despise them so much.

Mith
2016-06-01, 01:23 AM
Though you should probably realize that complaining about ponies just causes more of them to show.

This is off topic of the thread, but the above quote brought this pun to mind (I honestly do not care one way or the other. It's just a fandom that has some bad parts with the good):

So talking about them makes them herd?

Mastikator
2016-06-01, 04:51 AM
Play as a vampire

Confirm all negative stereotypes about vampires

Accuse other players of being racist against vampires, especially if they try to take your side or defend you

Name your character "not all"

goto124
2016-06-01, 05:32 AM
Replace 'vampires' with any typically evil race. Werewolves, orcs, etc.

Gastronomie
2016-06-01, 09:42 AM
Replace 'vampires' with any typically evil race. Werewolves, orcs, etc.You seriously think orcs are edgy? They don't even have anything to do with darkness or the full moon!

Themrys
2016-06-01, 10:07 AM
You seriously think orcs are edgy? They don't even have anything to do with darkness or the full moon!

Why choose? You can have a vampire orc who is also a werewolf!

JAL_1138
2016-06-01, 12:40 PM
Why choose? You can have a vampire orc who is also a werewolf!

Half-orc, half-drow vampire werewolf.

Inevitability
2016-06-01, 01:03 PM
You seriously think orcs are edgy? They don't even have anything to do with darkness or the full moon!

Refluff 'light sensitivity' as 'darkness affinity'.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-01, 02:24 PM
A comment in another thread has reminded me of this: One **** Poly. As in the character is in a poly relationship, but no one involved other then the main character is a guy. Because sleeping with a chick who is sleeping with another dude is just wrong. No homo!

JAL_1138
2016-06-01, 02:37 PM
The PC's gear list should have, at minimum, two sickles, two hand-axes, two throwing-axes, one battleaxe, one bardiche, one guisarme, one bill-guisarme, one glaive, one glaive-guisarme, one voulge, one guisarme-voulge, one fauchard, one fauchard-fork, one hook-fauchard, one halberd, two scimitars, two khopeshes, one bastard sword, one broadsword, one longsword, one two-handed sword, and two knives.

Wait...that's the wrong type of "edge" again...I'm really bad at this.

Fable Wright
2016-06-01, 03:27 PM
The PC's gear list should have, at minimum, two sickles, two hand-axes, two throwing-axes, one battleaxe, one bardiche, one guisarme, one bill-guisarme, one glaive, one glaive-guisarme, one voulge, one guisarme-voulge, one fauchard, one fauchard-fork, one hook-fauchard, one halberd, two scimitars, two khopeshes, one bastard sword, one broadsword, one longsword, one two-handed sword, and two knives.

Wait...that's the wrong type of "edge" again...I'm really bad at this.

Nope. If you've got a Human character with 8 Edge and the weapons above, he's definitely edgy. I mean, only someone with deep mental issues that they keep monologuing about would possibly do that in 207X. And they're shadowrunners, they've got the black leather and shades down already.

goto124
2016-06-02, 03:31 AM
Refluff 'light sensitivity' as 'darkness affinity'.

And don't actually have light sensitivity. Cos you're only half-drow, or obtained a Ring of Protection from Light, or something.

A comment in another thread has reminded me of this: One **** Poly. As in the character is in a poly relationship, but no one involved other then the main character is a guy. Because sleeping with a chick who is sleeping with another dude is just wrong. No homo!

Depends. Two of my female PCs are in a poly relationship with a straight male PC, whose sexual orientation was decided long before they even met. It's a healthy relationship.

Maybe if the characters are supposed to be in a poly relationship, but it's closer to One Big Man who's The Master of his female-only harem?

Mrs Kat
2016-06-02, 04:03 AM
In the last game I played, one of the PCs was a Deadgrim. (For the uninitiated, this is an undead hunter who becomes like the undead that he hunts.)

A Deadgrim... named Lenoir Black.

The DM's response to this? The character now has a nemesis. A vampire lord... by the name of Bismuth Edgington.

Marlowe
2016-06-02, 04:23 AM
I just want to point out that nothing in the rules says you can't put armor spikes on leather armor... and a whip is a semi-viable weapon... and the game has "dungeon" in the title.

It says bad things about me that I've thought about this.

Play a Crusader. When you get hurt; you get excited and hit back harder. When you hurt other people, you feel better. I didn't make this stuff up. It's in the rules.

Don't bother spending feats on a Scourge or sticking yourself with a whip, use a masterwork flail. Describe with loving detail how elegant are its barbs, and how supple are its chains.

Spiked studded leather is all very well, but glamoured Mithral chain that LOOKS like spiky leather will be well within your reach soon enough. Announce on a regular basis that you don't wear anything under it. If people ask you if you shave, point out that you don't have to.

Then go out of your way to be the nicest and most considerate member of the party out of combat. That'll teach 'em to judge people.

sengmeng
2016-06-02, 06:01 PM
It says bad things about me that I've thought about this.

Play a Crusader. When you get hurt; you get excited and hit back harder. When you hurt other people, you feel better. I didn't make this stuff up. It's in the rules.

Don't bother spending feats on a Scourge or sticking yourself with a whip, use a masterwork flail. Describe with loving detail how elegant are its barbs, and how supple are its chains.

Spiked studded leather is all very well, but glamoured Mithral chain that LOOKS like spiky leather will be well within your reach soon enough. Announce on a regular basis that you don't wear anything under it. If people ask you if you shave, point out that you don't have to.

Then go out of your way to be the nicest and most considerate member of the party out of combat. That'll teach 'em to judge people.
Ha!

But seriously folks... we've had some fun poking at the adolescent idea of edginess. If you really want to make people uncomfortable (not a worthy a goal) and make them think about real world issues (better), create someone suffering from real world PTSD. Have their only motivation for fighting be that they gave a peaceful life a try and it just didn't work for them. Give them a perfectly loving family, that they stay away from because their nightmares could end with murder. Have them struggle to find something better to do with each day than killing themselves. And when death comes, let them meet it with a small, tight smile.

:)

JAL_1138
2016-06-02, 06:55 PM
Ha!

But seriously folks... we've had some fun poking at the adolescent idea of edginess. If you really want to make people uncomfortable (not a worthy a goal) and make them think about real world issues (better), create someone suffering from real world PTSD. Have their only motivation for fighting be that they gave a peaceful life a try and it just didn't work for them. Give them a perfectly loving family, that they stay away from because their nightmares could end with murder. Have them struggle to find something better to do with each day than killing themselves. And when death comes, let them meet it with a small, tight smile.

:)

I had a character a bit like that. He looked like the typical happy-go-lucky, silly, humorous, fun-loving bard. He was actually an alcoholic with severe, nearly-crippling depression who put up a joyous, life-affirming front out of the absolutely desperate hope that if he faked it long enough he'd start believing his own lie before he ate a crossbow bolt--or if that didn't work, that he might die with some measure of honor on the adventure instead of in a ditch somewhere.

Having been known in that group mostly for entertaining shenanigans (that led to a lifetime ban on playing tinker gnomes (again)) and for being a fairly silly, joking, punning person myself, and having both depression and a grim sense of humor myself, I revealed the character's real nature in a forced-sounding, excessively chipper tone with a huge, obviously-fake grin and promptly took a swig from a hip flask I'd brought.

cobaltstarfire
2016-06-02, 07:28 PM
I'm a little surprised that no-one mentioned "wears a bandana over his mouth with a skull grin on it"

There was a guy like that in a game I was in a few years ago, can't remember his character name, but he was a warlock in all black, hood, bandana covering face with skull grin...always trying to seem "evil". He was obsessed with evilnes, and did stupid stuff in general but that has nothing to do with his attempt at being "edgy" I suppose.

Edgy seems to be similar to "try hard" costume choices in other kinds of games. The skull bandana and gas mask in splatoon are often associated with try-hardyness anyway. (Though I like the gas mask, cause I like masks and industrial aesthetics...

GAZ
2016-06-02, 07:56 PM
Dear dark lord. How could you losers get like all the way to the bottom of the third freakin' page without noticing that my character Shadow Hatemark has like the coolest freakin' scar across his eye. The blood red eye obviously, not the golden one. And that wicked-ass scar is totally the Hatemark of prophecy. And it totally binds a demon to his soul which is why he's like so angsty. For real. God! It's like I'm too deep for you people. Nobody understands me!

RazorChain
2016-06-02, 11:08 PM
I thoroughly disapprove of rape as backstory, but ... for an edgy PC, you want as much of it as you can squeeze into the backstory.

Like, half orc, half elf. Elf mother died during the birth, PC went on to murder orc that fathered her/him ... or perhaps was raised by orc and sexually abused and THEN killed the orc? Perhaps raped the orc in revenge. I mean, no one ever does that, but hey, it does maximize the edgyness.

Also, PC must be beautiful in spite of orc heritage. But could have some insignificant, aesthetically pleasing orc parts to angst about. (Sharper teeth, perhaps, but not big enough to be seen)

I once played a edgy character as a joke. He was filled with hate, angst and rage and called himself Raven Shadowblade. He seemed a tragic figure out to avenge himself on the world. My fellow players got real suprised when they found out that he was from a happy, rich noble family and was just "slumming".

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-03, 12:39 AM
You know, I think it might be even edgier if we leave out all the darkness and blades and blood and trenchcoats. Put a little Fix-it Felix Junior in there: "Why do I fix everything I touch?!" Make a beautiful butterfly druid who everybody loves on first sight wearing a flowery summer dress skipping through a field in the sunlight, cuddling all the little furry animals. Then have her (or him of course) angst over everything. "Why am I so beautiful? My beauty is a curse! I can't even look at my reflection in the water without turning lesbian!" (Yes, I know that's not a thing, bear with me here.) "I am cursed with the attention of all lovely little animals! I care about every little bunny in this forest, and I can't stand the thought of those hunters coming in here to shoot even just one of them!" "Why am I always followed by this cloud of beautiful exotic butterflies that mesmerizes even the most evil orc? It's a terrible curse if nobody ever gets angry with you!" "I don't even want to commit suicide because I'm always blissfully happy! My suffering is endless..."

Mith
2016-06-03, 12:57 AM
Not sure if one can be euphoric and yet despair. One can make everyone around them happy and content while they themselves suffer, but I do not think you can get such a conflict of emotions that you describe.

Gastronomie
2016-06-03, 12:59 AM
Dear dark lord. How could you losers get like all the way to the bottom of the third freakin' page without noticing that my character Shadow Hatemark has like the coolest freakin' scar across his eye. The blood red eye obviously, not the golden one. And that wicked-ass scar is totally the Hatemark of prophecy. And it totally binds a demon to his soul which is why he's like so angsty. For real. God! It's like I'm too deep for you people. Nobody understands me!Your character is indeed quite powerful, but no one can beat my Darkdevil Von Doomblade, the Ultimate Overlord of All Darkness and Destruction who has a third eye on his forehead with black flames burning inside, which was transplanted from the Archgod of Dark Destruction sealed away by the good gods 5000 years ago, bestowing him the ULTIMATE powers of darkness, which is, by the way, very evil. In fact its evil power is enough to possess almost anyone, but Darkdevil can withstand its powers because of his very strong will of force, which is his feelings of vengeance against the entire world which has betrayed him. He is so strong that he has actually conquered the Archgod and can now use its powers freely, making him immortal, and he also can destroy ANYTHING!!! I asked my DM if it's okay for him to be able to cast Dark Meteor Swarm and Power Word Kill every turn, but he was not a cool person so he said no.

Oh, and all of his eyes are of a different color, but well I'm suppose that's normal, because if your eyes are of the same color, you're doing it wrong. His different eyes represent his three powers, which are the powers of the Vampire Lord that is his father, the Demon Queen who is his mother, and the Archgod of Dark Destruction who he now has control over.

He also has the powers of a dragon sealed within his right hand, and he normally covers it with white bandages to conceal its power.

He also has a really cool tattoo on his body, but I'm not good enough at drawing it. Okay actually, let's rephrase that: it's so cool that no one can draw it. Because that's how cool it looks.

Every single female character who meets him or even hears of him falls in love immediately, but he doesn't care because he is focused only on vengeance.

He is the strongest being in the world. He's even stronger than the campaign boss!

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-03, 01:07 AM
Not sure if one can be euphoric and yet despair. One can make everyone around them happy and content while they themselves suffer, but I do not think you can get such a conflict of emotions that you describe.

Which will make it all the more confusing and means nobody ever knows how to properly react to this character, meaning you can also be mad at them for "totally not understanding you", directly after which you skip off again with your butterflies of course. Annoyance for all!

goto124
2016-06-03, 01:54 AM
"Why am I so beautiful? My beauty is a curse! I can't even look at my reflection in the water without turning lesbian!" (Yes, I know that's not a thing, bear with me here.)

I'm pretty sure she loves herself a lot long before looking at her reflection :smallamused:

Also, isn't the fact that that's not a thing supposed to be part of the huge joke?

Essentially, misuse and abuse So Beautiful, It's A Curse to the bitter ends of the world.

Professor Gnoll
2016-06-03, 04:16 AM
I asked my DM if it's okay for him to be able to cast Dark Meteor Swarm and Power Word Kill every turn, but he was not a cool person so he said no.
For the last time, even with 20 CHA your swearing doesn't count as Power Word Kills! And stop trying to use 'flipping preps off' as an arcane implement!

Kane0
2016-06-03, 06:15 AM
Why am i suddenly thinking of a version of aquaman thats totally edgy?
He's just as super and way less over the top compared to everyone else, but somehow he's a laughing stock.
He'll show them though. He's got whales.

JAL_1138
2016-06-03, 06:59 AM
Why am i suddenly thinking of a version of aquaman thats totally edgy?
He's just as super and way less over the top compared to everyone else, but somehow he's a laughing stock.
He'll show them though. He's got whales.

To which everyone will ask: what's he gonna do with a whale if the supervillain is based on land?

(He could still rely on his super-strength, enhanced agility and reflexes, superhuman toughness, etc., or, depending on the version of the character, control the parts of human brains that still resemble those of the aquatic animals we evolved from...poor Aquaman. Nobody takes him seriously).

GAZ
2016-06-03, 01:14 PM
Your character is indeed quite powerful, but no one can beat my Darkdevil Von Doomblade, the Ultimate Overlord of All Darkness and Destruction who has a third eye on his forehead with black flames burning inside, which was transplanted from the Archgod of Dark Destruction sealed away by the good gods 5000 years ago, bestowing him the ULTIMATE powers of darkness, which is, by the way, very evil. In fact its evil power is enough to possess almost anyone, but Darkdevil can withstand its powers because of his very strong will of force, which is his feelings of vengeance against the entire world which has betrayed him. He is so strong that he has actually conquered the Archgod and can now use its powers freely, making him immortal, and he also can destroy ANYTHING!!! I asked my DM if it's okay for him to be able to cast Dark Meteor Swarm and Power Word Kill every turn, but he was not a cool person so he said no.

Oh, and all of his eyes are of a different color, but well I'm suppose that's normal, because if your eyes are of the same color, you're doing it wrong. His different eyes represent his three powers, which are the powers of the Vampire Lord that is his father, the Demon Queen who is his mother, and the Archgod of Dark Destruction who he now has control over.

He also has the powers of a dragon sealed within his right hand, and he normally covers it with white bandages to conceal its power.

He also has a really cool tattoo on his body, but I'm not good enough at drawing it. Okay actually, let's rephrase that: it's so cool that no one can draw it. Because that's how cool it looks.

Every single female character who meets him or even hears of him falls in love immediately, but he doesn't care because he is focused only on vengeance.

He is the strongest being in the world. He's even stronger than the campaign boss!

Nuh-uh. Darkdevil doesn't have the REAL Archgod of All Darkness and Destruction. He's just a pretender. Shadow Hatemark's bound demon is the OVERgod of All Darkness and Destruction and Death and Doom. The other lesser demons overthrew him through treachery at the dawn of the uni multi OMNIverse. He was trapped in the eternal Bloodflame of Darkhallow for five billion years and was all set to burst out, until the Hatemark of prophecy was born in Shadow and he became the only one who could hold the OGADDDD with his superior willpower and angstpower. He's obviously Chaotic Neutral, because that's the edgiest alignment, but he can use all of both the Exalted and Vile feats because the war of man vs monster is so just deep and meaningful and poetic and intrinsic to his very soul that it counts for all the qualifiers. Which is why it makes total sense that he gets Vow of Poverty and a +5 Holy/Unholy katana and dual-wielding Desert Eagles and tons of mega-weed to get super-high at first level.

Cazero
2016-06-03, 01:20 PM
Nuh-uh. Darkdevil doesn't have the REAL Archgod of All Darkness and Destruction. He's just a pretender. Shadow Hatemark's bound demon is the OVERgod of All Darkness and Destruction and Death and Doom. The other lesser demons overthrew him through treachery at the dawn of the uni multi OMNIverse. He was trapped in the eternal Bloodflame of Darkhallow for five billion years and was all set to burst out, until the Hatemark of prophecy was born in Shadow and he became the only one who could hold the OGADDDD with his superior willpower and angstpower. He's obviously Chaotic Neutral, because that's the edgiest alignment, but he can use all of both the Exalted and Vile feats because the war of man vs monster is so just deep and meaningful and poetic and intrinsic to his very soul that it counts for all the qualifiers. Which is why it makes total sense that he gets Vow of Poverty and a +5 Holy/Unholy katana and dual-wielding Desert Eagles and tons of mega-weed to get super-high at first level.

Small potatoes. MY character is so dark, nobody can describe it.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-03, 01:31 PM
Maybe if the characters are supposed to be in a poly relationship, but it's closer to One Big Man who's The Master of his female-only harem?

Pretty much what I meant. Poly is pretty rare, but many cases I see of it tend to have a very firm one dude policy for whatever bizarre reason.

Madbox
2016-06-03, 07:14 PM
Small potatoes. MY character is so dark, nobody can describe it.

So what? My character is the anthropomorphic form of the very concept of darkness!

Mith
2016-06-03, 08:12 PM
Pretty much what I meant. Poly is pretty rare, but many cases I see of it tend to have a very firm one dude policy for whatever bizarre reason.

Probably tradition as far as Real Life goes, and literary instances are probably based on those trends. Hetero-normative trends of culture.

Belac93
2016-06-03, 08:28 PM
Well, here is an edgy character generator I made for 5th edition D&D. Use with the name generator. Enjoy!

1d6
Race

Human

Half-orc

Drow

Half-drow

Tiefling

Ghostwise Halfling

1d10
Class

Fiend Warlock

Shadow Sorcerer

Assassin Rogue

Undying Warlock

Death Cleric

War Cleric

Berserker Barbarian

Hunter Ranger

Vengance Paladin

Shadow Monk

1d8
Backstory p1
1d8
Backstory p2

I was abused by
Family member(s).

I hate
Dragon(s).

My family was killed by
Orc(s).

I am a transformed
Demon(s).

I am in love with a
Devil(s).

I killed a
Drow

I have the soul of a
Ghost(s).

I work for
Assassin(s).

Keltest
2016-06-03, 09:16 PM
Using all the charts available, I wound up with

Talon DoomDeath, the Tiefling War Cleric. His family was killed by Assassins, and he is so edgy random objects and people in the background are cut by his very presence. Which of course only fuels his angst.

Illven
2016-06-03, 09:30 PM
Using all the charts available, I wound up with

Talon DoomDeath, the Tiefling War Cleric. His family was killed by Assassins, and he is so edgy random objects and people in the background are cut by his very presence. Which of course only fuels his angst.

I have Misery Steelarrow. Half-drow Undying Warlock.

His or her family was killed by a ghost!

GAZ
2016-06-04, 01:27 AM
Way of Shadow Monks and Oath of Vengeance Paladins are pretty edgy, let's roll a d10. Not Necromancer Wizards though. Studying isn't edgy.

And we gotta include backgrounds.
d8
1: Acolyte of an edgy religion OR rebellious non-conformist from some totally square religion for the terminally lame.
2: Criminal
3: Folk Hero of Exxxtreme Destiny
4: Hermit because nobody understands me!
5: Noble, even though I despise how shallow and conformist they all are.
6: Outlander
7: Pirate
8: Urchin

And alignment. Now Chaotic Neutral is obviously the edgiest alignment but what other alignments are edgy? Not Lawful or Neutral Good, but is Chaotic Good edgy? What about the Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil?

Madbox
2016-06-04, 01:45 AM
Lawful neutral can be quite edgy. Just ask Judge Dredd.

Not so much Lawful Evil. Lawyers aren't edgy!

Inevitability
2016-06-04, 05:17 AM
The random tables have brought forth Agony Razoreye, human assassin rogue who hates devils and has an edgy religion. Sounds like a typical demon worshipper to me.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-04, 06:05 AM
Are Ghostwise Halflings really that edgy?

Anyways, the random tables continue to defy any possible edginess for me, as Pain Painskin (of the Mississippi Painskins) is apparently a Human Hunter Ranger who works for his family and is an Outlander. Actually, apart from the name, this sounds like a perfectly reasonable character.

The_Snark
2016-06-04, 06:56 AM
First go on the various random edginess tables yields Shudder Icecold, human cleric (war) who killed an orc once. Also he's a pirate. The name is hilarious, but the rest seems pretty mundane. For some reason I want to say this character is an adventurer in the mold of professional wrestlers, adopting a stage name and persona to entertain and draw attention... I think putting 'pirate' on the list of backgrounds might be a mistake, it's way easier to play that as comic than edgy.

Second go gives me Whisper Frightflame, ghostwise halfling warlock (fiend pact) who killed a family member (by accident? They were secretly evil but nobody else believed it? How about BOTH). Now they're a hermit. That's... surprisingly coherent, actually.

JAL_1138
2016-06-04, 08:43 AM
Are Ghostwise Halflings really that edgy?

Anyways, the random tables continue to defy any possible edginess for me, as Pain Painskin (of the Mississippi Painskins) is apparently a Human Hunter Ranger who works for his family and is an Outlander. Actually, apart from the name, this sounds like a perfectly reasonable character.

We've got ourselves a good old-fashioned Southern feud. I've ended up with Venom Painskin (of the--1d4 for for bordering states--Tennessee Painskins), tiefling shadow sorcerer whose family was killed by family members (the Mississippi Painskins).

Belac93
2016-06-04, 09:45 AM
Way of Shadow Monks and Oath of Vengeance Paladins are pretty edgy, let's roll a d10. Not Necromancer Wizards though. Studying isn't edgy.

And we gotta include backgrounds.
d8
1: Acolyte of an edgy religion OR rebellious non-conformist from some totally square religion for the terminally lame.
2: Criminal
3: Folk Hero of Exxxtreme Destiny
4: Hermit because nobody understands me!
5: Noble, even though I despise how shallow and conformist they all are.
6: Outlander
7: Pirate
8: Urchin

And alignment. Now Chaotic Neutral is obviously the edgiest alignment but what other alignments are edgy? Not Lawful or Neutral Good, but is Chaotic Good edgy? What about the Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil?I'll add some stuff to the class table.

Alignments that are edgy? I would say CG, CN, TN, LN, LE, NE. Gives us a nice 6 alignments.

1d6
Alignment

Chaotic good, Probably racist.

Chaotic neutral, 'classic' edgy character.

True neutral. Pragmatic to the core.

Lawful neutral. Probably serves an evil higher power.

Lawful evil. Lives by her own code.

Neutral evil. Like chaotic good, but probably racist towards more people.

Edit: The characters that are being ended up with are awesome. My tables do have a lot of bugs (killing an orc isn't much), but with the working for your family, what if your family is evil?

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-04, 10:33 AM
Alignments that are edgy? I would say CG, CN, TN, LN, LE, NE. Gives us a nice 6 alignments.

Aren't those the alignments the 3.5 Warlock could have? I think WoTC has beaten us to the punch.

The_Snark
2016-06-04, 02:10 PM
Aren't those the alignments the 3.5 Warlock could have? I think WoTC has beaten us to the punch.

Almost; 3.5 warlocks had to be either chaotic or evil. So they couldn't be Lawful Neutral or regular Neutral, while Chaotic Evil was (obviously) open.

Funny how CE doesn't make it onto the edgy list. :smallamused:

Belac93
2016-06-04, 05:42 PM
Funny how CE doesn't make it onto the edgy list. :smallamused:

Its because that is just straight up evil. LE and NE are niiiiiicccce (hypnooooootise youuuuu).

No-Kill Cleric
2016-06-04, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear, ma'am...

...something tells me he didn't get his comeuppance?

He's finally realized that incessantly insulting your party members doesn't work well.

He's still a tiefling whose family is enslaved...

I suggest a descendant of an "Edgy" character who uses his grandfather's dual wielding katana style. His trenchcoat is pink and he's a really happy-go-lucky guy. He's glad he didn't get the red eyes from Dad, but he has the dark unruly hair and harsh expressions like grandpappy.

Tarqiup Inua
2016-06-04, 08:38 PM
A warrior of legends who died in a very dramatic fashion while fighting for his cause.

His soul transfered, he is now a sentient magical sword wielded by another warrior who fights against everything our hero ever believed in.

Is sharp and edgy...

(couldn't not think of Lilarcor, there)

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-05, 01:45 PM
Probably tradition as far as Real Life goes, and literary instances are probably based on those trends. Hetero-normative trends of culture.

Now that I think about it, I really doubt that the half-Japanese tiefling in a trenchcoat wielding five katanas at once that can shoot bullets made of blood is really going to be based on anthropological research...I think 'No Homo' is a far more likely reason.

goto124
2016-06-06, 03:57 AM
1d8
Backstory p1
1d8
Backstory p2

I was abused by
Family member(s).

I hate
Dragon(s).

My family was killed by
Orc(s).

I am a transformed
Demon(s).

I am in love with a
Devil(s).

I killed a
Drow

I have the soul of a
Ghost(s).

I work for
Assassin(s).

If I roll a 5 followed by a 1, I'm going to play GoT.

And if I'm playing GoT, the above table probably applies multiple times. Even if some of the races don't exist in GoT.

Spore
2016-06-06, 04:25 AM
To be honest teenage-edgy isn't what you guys propose. For me edgy is being the evil Mary Sue. Much dark, such mercy. Wow.

A character with a dark backstory and a generally dark outlook on life who would reasonably do the most vile things. But will always stop at the most popular middle ground between two extremes.

1) "Edgy Sue" finds her childhood captor. After having run away from an abusive home, some guy caught her and put her into her cellar. She eventually fled and now this guy is at her gunpoint, because obviously she is now a kung fu master with pinpoint accuracy ninjasamurai. Instead of killing him, she hurts him and then tries to redeem his qualities.

2) Monologues. Lots of monologues. Primarily about hope and hopelessness. Constantly shifting between both. Best used if contradicting self. Makes her feel more "human", or whatever writers today use for covering up writing mistakes.

3) Possibly killed and resurrected, several times. Nothing screams edgelord more than necromancy. Offering deals to Satan, then double crossing him. Offering the same to celestial forces, then double crossing them for no good reason: "Your imagery hurts my eyes." Like Saints Row but with an entirely serious face (SR 3, then Gat out of Hell).

4) Completely inconsistent powers. The character needs to be the best at everything. In every context, every time. I dub this the "Marvel Hero Axiom". Trapped your hero in a situation where he possibly cannot escape? Craft up a new power that defies logic, physics, existing ruleswork and artistic integrity. "Rocks fall, everyone dies: Except the hero."

2D8HP
2016-06-06, 11:24 AM
Monologues. Lots of monologues. Primarily about hope and hopelessness. Constantly shifting between both. Best used if contradicting self.
When one such as a PC of edginicity is not monologging, but in rare moments of actually talking to others, the PC should mostly speak in barely audible whispers until the inner fire of torment makes them break out in yelling and screaming (ala Jack Bauer of "24").
Sample Dialog:
"mumble, mumble, mumble, I must, mumble WHATEVER THE COST! :smallfurious:

Spore
2016-06-09, 04:10 PM
When one such as a PC of edginicity is not monologging, but in rare moments of actually talking to others, the PC should mostly speak in barely audible whispers until the inner fire of torment makes them break out in yelling and screaming (ala Jack Bauer of "24").
Sample Dialog:
"mumble, mumble, mumble, I must, mumble WHATEVER THE COST! :smallfurious:

All too subtle. How will the audience understand their torment? Twilight's Bella throws herself in front of a car and it is considered poetry.

2D8HP
2016-06-22, 04:08 PM
I really miss this thread. It was hilarious. In fact I miss it so much that I feel extreme angst

Noje
2016-06-22, 06:10 PM
I really miss this thread. It was hilarious. In fact I miss it so much that I feel extreme angst

I thought it would be a fun topic to bring to the table. A lot of threads try to break the tropes that have developed in this game, but it is fun to embrace them every now and again. I'm glad y'all enjoyed it.

AshfireMage
2016-06-22, 08:56 PM
For classes, don't forget necromancers (dude, it's dead things. Death is edgy, right?).

Also binders and shadow casters. In the case of the former, the sourcebook literally says you'll be hated by most of normal society and possibly branded a heretic. Plus, the whole "my powers come from eldritch abominations who want to kill me and will inflict horrible changes on my body and mind if I screw up!" thing. And the later has shadow in the name! (although the class itself is pretty mundane).

The Glyphstone
2016-06-22, 08:58 PM
Obviously, a multiclass Binder/Shadowcaster/Dread Necromancer/Wizard (Necromancer) is the way to go. Maximum number of edgy classes.

goto124
2016-06-23, 02:43 AM
Try taking ideas from Reaper. Skull mask, fluttering cloak, dualwields guns, doesn't reload but instead throws them away (http://puu.sh/pCP4S/491cc864f7.jpg) and takes out new ones, has an ultimate attack consisting of spinning around shooting everywhere while harshly whispering "Die! Die! Die!"...

Keltest
2016-06-23, 05:20 AM
Try taking ideas from Reaper. Skull mask, fluttering cloak, dualwields guns, doesn't reload but instead throws them away (http://puu.sh/pCP4S/491cc864f7.jpg) and takes out new ones, has an ultimate attack consisting of spinning around shooting everywhere while harshly whispering "Die! Die! Die!"...

Theyre "Hellfire Shotguns" even. And he shouts it at the top of his lungs. And the ability is called Death Blossom.

Ive heard reaper described as the physical incarnation of teen angst before.

pi4t
2016-06-25, 08:42 PM
Obviously, you should play a Harbinger (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HCtvRArIRPjcClMf5KVJrDBrkV_gBoaVFuvwA4CmCew/edit?usp=sharing) from Pathfinder Path of War Expanded. Some of the conditions for edginess are even explicit requirements for the class:

Like rumors of war or plague-ridden winds, Harbingers move through battlefields and leave only ruin and sorrow in their wake. Empowered from within by a deep connection to sorrow, grief, and wrath, Harbingers channel their negative emotions into a supernatural fighting style that is strange and terrifying to behold.

At some point in their lives, all Harbingers encountered the violence within. Some come from cursed or tainted backgrounds, dragged towards power by fiendish blood or maledictions laid down upon their ancestors. Others have inherent but untapped magical potential that erupts in a moment of wrath or panic, and many Harbingers have started on their path with blood dripping from their fingers and a look of shocked panic on their face. Harbingers tend to be from places marked or scarred by strife, and the majority emerge from lands wracked by civil war, military conflict, massive social change, crushing poverty or endemic crime

(Despite this, it is possible to play a Harbinger who isn't "edgy" - for example, Sam Vimes from Discworld fits the class extremely well, despite being clearly Lawful Good.)

Craft (Cheese)
2016-06-26, 10:20 AM
Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!...

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Holy ****.

My actual, real-life name given to me by my parents is one of the possibilities on this chart. With an alternative spelling.

Kill me.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-26, 11:10 AM
I'm really hoping your parents named you Wulf instead of something like Agonyyy or something.

slachance6
2016-06-26, 11:48 AM
How about you look up the My Immortal fanfic and use that for a bit of inspiration?

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-26, 11:56 AM
How about you look up the My Immortal fanfic and use that for a bit of inspiration?

I dunno about you, but I never got through the entire thing. Even with company. Your mind is tougher then mine if you can brave that.

GorinichSerpant
2016-06-26, 10:53 PM
Holy ****.

My actual, real-life name given to me by my parents is one of the possibilities on this chart. With an alternative spelling.

Kill me.

I like how un-edgy your avatar and username are considering that fact.

Hamste
2016-06-27, 12:50 AM
I'm really hoping your parents named you Wulf instead of something like Agonyyy or something.

Most likely it is Ravyn.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-27, 01:19 AM
I'm now hoping you're called something like Whysper Trueheart. That's not that bad...

(Yes, I'm interpreting that post way too literally. Because it's there!)