PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Tabletop System?

ShadowLord
2016-05-28, 06:17 AM
Anyone know of a Pokemon-based system other then PTU/PTA? Specifically, something that doesn't allow trainer combat.

Knaight
2016-05-28, 07:50 PM
I don't know of anything dedicated. PTA/PTU should be usable if only the trainer combat is an issue (just cut that out and move on). If that's a deal breaker, Monsters and Other Childish Things has mechanics built around a child and their monster, and should be adaptable for Pokemon with less effort than other games. Pokemon is a pretty powers based setting as well, so Mutants and Masterminds or HERO should also work, although the crunch involved with that many characters gets a little out of hand.

ShadowLord
2016-05-29, 05:35 AM
I know there are many systems that can be adapted for Pokemon and all trainer combat can be cut out of PTU/PTA, but I am looking for a system that is specifically made to emulate Pokemon combat without trainers. Or, if that doesn't exist (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't) I would settle with at least half-finished hack that works.

NorthernPhoenix
2016-05-29, 11:58 AM
Wait, where you just play as the Pokemon, or where the trainers can't beat each other up?

ShadowLord
2016-05-29, 12:00 PM
Either way, as long as trainers don't take actions in combat I'm happy.:smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-29, 12:00 PM
Sorry, but when you mentioned no trainer combat (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/04262010) I was reminded of this.

Fate is a pretty flexible system, or are you looking for something more crunchy?

ShadowLord
2016-05-29, 12:03 PM
I have an irrational fear of Fate, but if you show me how someone actually applied Fate to pokemon I would give it a look.

Mordrigar
2016-05-30, 07:53 PM
Answer is one and only: Mutants and Masterminds. IIRC there is a book for "pets" and "mechas". You can create moves or use existent ones.

When Pokémon Evolves, its power level increases.

For Example Charmdener PL 5, Charmeleon PL 8, Charizard PL 12
Ember (Ranged, blast, single target, fire) damage increases. Also, if you use only 4 attacks just like games, it'll be easier and less complicated.

Seriously. Mutants and Masterminds is the best system for any evolving/growing type setting.

ShadowLord
2016-05-31, 02:43 AM
I know that M&M is universal answer to every question, but can you actually link to a hack?
If I have to do the work myself I would rather make the system from scratch.

Milo v3
2016-06-01, 09:37 PM
I know that M&M is universal answer to every question, but can you actually link to a hack?
If I have to do the work myself I would rather make the system from scratch.

You don't need a hack, it works with the default rules.

SuchADiceGuy
2016-06-02, 10:39 AM
Well, I don't think Pokethulhu has trainer combat, but that game might not be what you're looking for.

Other than that, Mutants and Masterminds seemed like a good idea that others brought up. I'd go with that one.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-02, 11:48 AM
I never played it, but it is my understanding Big Eyes, Small Mouth had a monster raising expansion. Cute and Fuzzy Seizure Monsters. Earlier editions have an additional word in the title.

ComaVision
2016-06-02, 12:00 PM
The Monster Trainer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/northwinter-press/monster-trainer) is a pretty decent conversion to Pathfinder.

CharonsHelper
2016-06-02, 12:16 PM
In part it might depend upon how much you want to focus on the leveling, and how much you want to focus on the Rock-Scissors-Paper of Pokémon games.

For the former, other than the Rock-Scissors-Paper, you'd probably want to a system with otherwise pretty basic mechanics.

For the latter, a game where each player controls a single pokémon would probably work poorly. (Ex: Being a psychic pokémon would suck every time you ran into a dark pokémon, or a fighting pokémon vs ghost etc.)

For the trainer vs trainer combat, I'm not sure if the system itself shouldn't allow it, so much as both

1. Make it dumb, as high level pokémon are freakin' scary.

2. Make it a huge social issue. It's just not done. Hardcore pokémon wielding cops will come for you etc.

GrayGriffin
2016-06-09, 08:50 PM
Use PTU and nicely ask your players not to take trainer combat classes. Boom, done.