PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever played FATAL?

An Enemy Spy
2016-05-28, 03:33 PM
I'm morbidly curious.

Regitnui
2016-05-28, 03:34 PM
No.

So am I.

Chambers
2016-05-28, 05:47 PM
FATAL: A Campaign Journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?153581-FATAL-A-Campaign-Journal), a thread from 2010.

AMFV
2016-05-28, 05:59 PM
I've read the sourcebooks at one point. The issue is that it's too complicated and too much work to play even as a joke. Like if I'm having to hours of prep-work for a few minutes of giggles, it just isn't worth it. It's worth glancing through the spells section though, if you're into bile fascination at all.

comk59
2016-05-28, 07:05 PM
FATAL: A Campaign Journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?153581-FATAL-A-Campaign-Journal), a thread from 2010.

I like how all of the initial posts are from people begging the OP not to do it.

The Glyphstone
2016-05-28, 07:38 PM
One does not 'play' FATAL so much as one 'endures' it.

Geddy2112
2016-05-28, 11:06 PM
The issue is that it's too complicated and too much work to play even as a joke. Like if I'm having to hours of prep-work for a few minutes of giggles, it just isn't worth it.

This was my experience. We rolled up characters for fun, but that took about three hours, and we effectively TPKed about an hour in to the actual play. The "genere" or whatever you can call the X rated high fantasy setting is nothing compared to how awful the rules and mechanics are.

Dunsparce
2016-05-29, 04:29 AM
On a forum I go to a group of people had a "successful" pbp FATAL campaign. They rigged up a program that did all the complex rolls, including character creation, for them. They all ended up dying horribly in an mind-controlled orgy(one of the participants was a zombie that was on fire is why) except one guy that got trampled to death by horses that randomly freaked out earlier on. They're currently playing a second campaign, since with that program they don't have to waste a lot of time creating characters. They're mostly doing it just to mess around.

Pluto!
2016-05-30, 04:13 AM
I remember a character generator going around so that you could cut to the chase and skip the unplayable chargen to get right into the unplayable gameplay.

Because for all the fiddlyness during character creation, it's not like players are actually making many choices. It's mostly just "roll, look the value up on a table, cringe, repeat."

Fri
2016-05-30, 10:57 AM
On a forum I go to a group of people had a "successful" pbp FATAL campaign. They rigged up a program that did all the complex rolls, including character creation, for them. They all ended up dying horribly in an mind-controlled orgy(one of the participants was a zombie that was on fire is why) except one guy that got trampled to death by horses that randomly freaked out earlier on. They're currently playing a second campaign, since with that program they don't have to waste a lot of time creating characters. They're mostly doing it just to mess around.

Any link?

Just for research purpose of course. Yeah. For research.

Trekkin
2016-05-31, 12:07 AM
I have, albeit under carefully controlled circumstances (chief amongst them a gentleperson's agreement between all players not to be creepy.)

It was not much fun.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-05-31, 02:09 PM

Only a session 0 and a session 1. There should have been two more sessions or so, but the posts never materialized apparently.

Max_Killjoy
2016-05-31, 02:14 PM
I took one look at FATAL, and said "nope".

Even without all the repugnant assumptions underlying the game and repugnant material in the setting, the "character past and details via random roll" thing is a non-started for me in any game.