PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph question

xvillia
2016-05-28, 05:12 PM
If a player is devoured by a beast and a player morphs it into a rat, what exactly happens? The beast is morphed but not the player so should the player pop out fine and dandy or should it be alien style and you pop out of its stomach?

pwykersotz
2016-05-28, 05:16 PM
Ruling territory!

I would say that the devoured person and the transformed creature are both properly transformed, but it doesn't stop the player from trying to break free. If they could manage it, then you'd have the rather comical/horrifying image of a full grown person bursting from a rat, but I wouldn't instakill the rat either, it would just be a "spacial anomaly" as the magic which temporarily resized the creature has its barrier ripped open.

But that's just me.

Gnomes2169
2016-05-28, 09:37 PM
Technically, the creature explodes and is reduced to 0hp, instantly ending the polymorph and causing the beast to revert to its true form. Very much alive, but with an empty belly since the party member would have fallen out of its gut.

Or at least, that's how I would rule it.

Plaguescarred
2016-05-29, 08:51 AM
I'd most likely have the PC burst out of the creature's stomach causing severe damage to both of them from the broken bones and carrapace tear etc...

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-29, 03:00 PM
Ruling territory!

I'd probably have the beast spit the swallowed character out before the transformation takes hold. Allowing instant kill effects with no save or HP damage seems like the sort of precedent you don't want to set. And it's not like the spell slot is wasted: the Tarrasque has still been turned into a mouse!