PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shaped Rope Trick

Fixer
2007-06-27, 11:45 AM
If a person is wild shaped while carrying a bag of holding (assumed as part of the form) and enters a Rope Trick space, what happens?

Or, for that matter, if they enter a portable hole?

I am trying to figure out what is likely to happen if my wife's character (who shapeshifts while holding a Bag of Holding) enters my character's Rope Trick. Do we suddenly go Astral Surfing? (pun only slightly intended, as I realize it after I typed it.)

lukelightning
2007-06-27, 11:48 AM
There are no official rules on what happens when you bring a bag of holding into a rope trick space, despite the cryptic warning in the spell.

I'd say there is no problem.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-27, 11:51 AM
If a person is wild shaped while carrying a bag of holding (assumed as part of the form) and enters a Rope Trick space, what happens?
You have an animal in a rope trick space.

Despite vague warnings in the spell description, there is nothing bad that happens when you bring a bag of holding into a rope trick space.

The item is "part of the form," which implies that it still counts as existing and should probably create whichever version of the rift you get when you place a bag of holding inside a portable hole.

lukelightning
2007-06-27, 12:34 PM
How about there is a big planar explosion, the druid is tossed out and returns to normal form, and is confronted by a bear-/wolf-/dire bat-/whatever-shaped void in space. And it's hungry.

Fixer
2007-06-27, 01:16 PM
Well, I was more concerned about being able to use this to rest. Both of us being elves and my character being 6th level we can meditate in the rope trick for 4 hours, piddle around for almost two more hours doing whatever (like memorizing or praying for spells) then climb down and resume our journey.

Then it occured to me that I am wearing a Handy Haversack and she assumes shape with a Bag of Holding (IV). I realize I cannot access the contents of my bag without hanging them out of the rope trick area but I was wondering about the adjudication of the Bag of Holding inside the Rope Trick.

According to all FAQs and the general concensus of this board, everything will be ok. :)

(As for how she'd get into the rope trick area, she can become the shape of a bat so she'd just grab the rope and I'd pull her up. Or she could fly in, whichever.)

Zherog
2007-06-27, 02:08 PM
Well, I was more concerned about being able to use this to rest. Both of us being elves and my character being 6th level we can meditate in the rope trick for 4 hours, piddle around for almost two more hours doing whatever (like memorizing or praying for spells) then climb down and resume our journey.

An elf who casts arcane spells still needs 8 hours of rest before he/she can begin preparing spells for the day.

martyboy74
2007-06-27, 03:49 PM
Then it occured to me that I am wearing a Handy Haversack and she assumes shape with a Bag of Holding (IV). I realize I cannot access the contents of my bag without hanging them out of the rope trick area but I was wond

The only extradimensional spacial interaction specified in the rules is in mixing a Portable Hole and a Bag of Holding. Nothing else interacts.

Fixer
2007-06-27, 03:58 PM
I think it is a houserule we often play with that if you are inside an extradimensional space you cannot access a second extradimensional space. Otherwise you could cast Rope Trick inside a Rope Trick and end up being unable to leave the space as the space you originated from has 'expired'.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-27, 05:54 PM
Plane shift FTW.

Personally, I house-ruled the entire thing so that the smaller extradimensional space is inverted and removed from the larger (i.e. everything falls out). Random if the same size.

So, if I stick a small bag of holding in a big one, it turns inside out, and the contents spill into the larger bag. If I put a big bag inside a little bag, the little bag turns inside out, and the big bag falls onto the ground, along with anything in the small bag.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-28, 04:02 AM
Personally, I wonder what happens if you have a Wild-shaped Druid with Time Stop, or some other "accelerated time" effect. Does it expire after 24 hours(inclusive of the accelerated time), or only when the "rest of the world" catches up and completes the full 24 hours?:smallwink:

Jack_Simth
2007-06-28, 06:27 AM

I am trying to figure out what is likely to happen if my wife's character (who shapeshifts while holding a Bag of Holding) enters my character's Rope Trick. Do we suddenly go Astral Surfing? (pun only slightly intended, as I realize it after I typed it.)
When Merged due to wild shape, magic items become nonfunctional. The bag of holding opens onto a nondimensional space but the magic doesn't work anymore. There's no nondimensional space to worry about at the time.

Same goes for the portable hole.