PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Paizo announces Starfinder RPG!

Arutema
2016-05-29, 02:19 AM
Fresh news from Paizocon! (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5litw?Announcing-the-Starfinder-Roleplaying-Game)

So the Gencon 2017 release is Pathfinder, in SPACE!

It will be backward-compatible and OGL.

It will be set in the far future of Golarion's solar system, with Golarion itself missing.

Ratfolk and Androids likely to join the current core races.

An ascended AI deity has granted access to hyperspace and FTL travel.

I'll hazard a guess this deity is Casandalee from the Iron Gods AP.

It will launch alongside a Starfinder adventure path.

Florian
2016-05-29, 03:00 AM
So, PF Modern finally coming up. Very cool.

Ssalarn
2016-05-29, 03:08 AM
Starfinder looks to be shaping up in a pretty interesting way. They're going a different direction with the art, and the androids kind of look like Cortana from Halo mixed with Nova from Battleborn.

The hub of everything is Absalom Station, which floats in space where Golarion used to be. I think they said it's 3000 years in the future.

Novawurmson
2016-05-29, 04:41 AM
Kind of funny, I asked my players if they wanted to do a Star Trek-style D&D campaign where they sailed the stars on a magitech-infused Oma (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/oma). Guess I'll have official support when I get around to it.

GreyBlack
2016-05-29, 06:28 AM
So, PF Modern finally coming up. Very cool.

Not quite. Sounds more like PF Spelljammer than Modern. Which, given that Modern is probably my favorite d20 system, is probably better for it than being compared to Modern.

Ethereal Gears
2016-05-29, 09:16 AM
PEW-PEW! PEW-PEW!! PEW-PEW!!!

In space. :)

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-05-29, 09:35 AM
I'm really excited for the game, but I'm also really excited for using if for my homebrew; it has been science-fantasy from the get-go, this is really going to help. But I don't really think that's an android, at least not the kind that are in current PF. They say it's gonna be backwards compatible; I hope that's true and they stick with that.

DungeonDelver
2016-05-29, 10:08 AM
I like that they are keeping magic. This feels quite a bit like a Starjammer setting. I'm looking forward to space dwarves, space elves, space orcs...I just really like this concept. I'm going to watch this development with a lot of interest. I can only imagine the crazy stuff Paizo will come up with for this one.

BWR
2016-05-29, 10:18 AM
Dragonstar 2.0?

I'm definitely going to check this one out.

khadgar567
2016-05-29, 11:29 AM
need more data this does not compute ( I hope they make it good) kaboom!

Palanan
2016-05-29, 12:13 PM
I was just about to post a thread asking what was next for Pathfinder, but this answers that in spades. I'm guessing Paizo's focus will shift to support this new brand.

Not that impressed by the artwork myself, but I do love the concept. Definitely looking forward to this.

(And I assume "Starfinder" is a riff on wayfinder?)

khadgar567
2016-05-29, 12:16 PM
I was just about to post a thread asking what was next for Pathfinder, but this answers that in spades. I'm guessing Paizo's focus will shift to support this new brand.

Not that impressed by the artwork myself, but I do love the concept. Definitely looking forward to this.

(And I assume "Starfinder" is a riff on wayfinder?)

remove the star and put back path you see something very intresting

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-29, 12:19 PM
Kind of funny, I asked my players if they wanted to do a Star Trek-style D&D campaign where they sailed the stars on a magitech-infused Oma (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/oma). Guess I'll have official support when I get around to it.

I hope your players have not seen Farscape or Lexx then, else...Well. Things might not be as you have planned.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-29, 02:05 PM
Awesome, I am down for this.

The Distant Worlds book is fantastic, I really love the fluff in it, one of Pathfinder's best.

Azoth
2016-05-29, 02:22 PM
I hope your players have not seen Farscape or Lexx then, else...Well. Things might not be as you have planned.

I am glad to FINALLY meet another individual who knows of those shows! Usually I have to sit people down, and bust out the collector's edition box sets to make people get my references!

Though, honestly, Moya is at least yielding to the needs of her crew, and pilot can be persuaded. Lexx on the other hand is a broken record of, "I'm sorry, but I can't do Stanley." Then again, that is better than Talon's, "Screw your commands! I do what I want!"

Just hope they don't go Starship UK on the thing!

Psyren
2016-05-29, 05:37 PM
This sounds fun - a chance for a sci-fi system to really break into the mainstream. Hopefully they don't import the same problem of needing a feat to walk to the bathroom though.

I'm guessing psychic magic will be the only kind? Or even no magic at all?

Halae
2016-05-29, 06:09 PM
I'm really curious what they're going to do with androids, since they're becoming a core race. there's a lot of things that could result.

I'm guessing psychic magic will be the only kind? Or even no magic at all?

they've already said they're keeping magic in general; it's really not something I could see falling by the wayside in any sort of Pathfinder based system.

Psyren
2016-05-29, 06:22 PM
they've already said they're keeping magic in general; it's really not something I could see falling by the wayside in any sort of Pathfinder based system.

Ah, I'm a little less excited about that - though I suppose I could always houserule standard magic out.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-29, 07:23 PM
Well, seems I'm not the only one who loved Distant Worlds! (one of my ongoing games came from me geeking out on it)

To those who haven't, asteroid belt inhabitants. Dead plant ruled by Liches. A Barsoom-esque 'Mars,' and a Jungle-covered 'Venus,' which is where Golarion's elves avoided the dangers of the Age of Darkness. A world that swings between long winters and summers and with dragons. Two inhabited gas giants full of floaters and with inhabited moons. A sealed world-ship from *somewhere*. And there's so much more. It is sooo cool and pulpy and awesome.

I also wonder if this is where the Dominion of the Black will show their stuff.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-29, 07:26 PM
I am glad to FINALLY meet another individual who knows of those shows! Usually I have to sit people down, and bust out the collector's edition box sets to make people get my references!

I thought Farscape was somewhat well known among us geeks. I admit to having seen and enjoyed Lexx, but I never caught enough episodes.

Through, for Psyren's dilemma, you could also houserule that non-psychic magic working could be a mystery. Science says it shouldn't work, and yet it does...

Milo v3
2016-05-29, 07:27 PM
Can't wait to bind lightning elementals into my cybernetics.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-29, 07:47 PM
This ties to the Iron Gods path, which answers a number of questions about technology and magic and how they can interact. Indeed, the backstory of this one seemed to directly link to the end of Iron Gods!

Halae
2016-05-31, 02:56 AM
Hmm. I wonder what they're going to do with dragons.

Dragons are too iconic to the source material to do away with entirely, and i know there's a planet that's basically governed by them... Hmm. There's no way they'll have let themselves be left behind by lesser races in terms of capability, either technological or magical, so what sort of part are they going to be playing in the wider galaxy?

I could sort of see them being a much more dangerous Hutt.

khadgar567
2016-05-31, 03:06 AM

Dragons are too iconic to the source material to do away with entirely, and i know there's a planet that's basically governed by them... Hmm. There's no way they'll have let themselves be left behind by lesser races in terms of capability, either technological or magical, so what sort of part are they going to be playing in the wider galaxy?

sorry did you say slave bikinis and slave dancers (http://0biwanken0bie.deviantart.com/art/Fernopatrix-Kali-007-518713252)

Milo v3
2016-05-31, 03:09 AM

Well, Pathfinder does have Space Dragons... So I'm guessing they'll be the standard dragons rather than chromatic or metallic.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-31, 10:21 AM

One of the 'Distant Worlds,' Thriaxus, is mostly ruled by dragons who fight with each other. So I doubt they'll be left behind.

The Glyphstone
2016-05-31, 10:24 AM
. A world that swings between long winters and summers and with dragons.

Does this planet also have periodic uprisings of frost-touched zombies and lots of political feuding between aristocratic noble houses?

Psyren
2016-05-31, 10:40 AM
Does this planet also have periodic uprisings of frost-touched zombies and lots of political feuding between aristocratic noble houses?

The Lannisters regard what you did there

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-31, 01:43 PM

It does not.

The East continent is full of feuding dragon states called the Drakelands, with the Whites prospering and holding sway in the winter, and the Reds retaking control in the summer. The West has allied humanoid states (mostly Thriaxians, but some other races, sometimes originated from the other worlds), who stay loosely aligned out of self-defense against the dragons, with the Skyfire Mandate, full of humanoids allied with dragonkin (smaller, but still intelligence draconids ridden by humanoids) serving as the great buffer from the Drakelands.

Then there's the South continent, which kinda does their own thing.

Michael7123
2016-05-31, 10:12 PM
Okay, two things to say about this.

1. If Golorian mysteriously been whisked away by the gods, I'm going to take a guess and say the fact that it doubles as Rovagug's prison has something to do with that.

2. I really, really hope we get some interaction with Eox (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Eox). Maybe it's just me, but I love the concept behind that planet, and would love to see more of it.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-31, 10:16 PM
1. If Golorian mysteriously been whisked away by the gods, I'm going to take a guess and say the fact that it doubles as Rovagug's prison has something to do with that.

To be fair, every time the Enterprise encountered godlike beings, they did have to deal with a few more dead redshirts/goldshirts then usual. Or them trying to seduce members of the crew. Or both.

jjcrpntr
2016-06-01, 12:35 PM
I'll be picking this up for sure when the core book is released.

I really enjoy pathfinder and my players enjoy it. i houserule and refluff the stuff that doesn't work and it balances out.

I've been wanting to run a sci-fi game for awhile and was looking at the D20 Modern futuristic books but now i'll wait and just use this. Told my players about it the other day and they're excited about doing this. We play every other Saturday so maybe on an inbetween week we'll run the Starfinder game.

Ssalarn
2016-06-01, 03:56 PM
Okay, two things to say about this.

That was actually my first thought. Perhaps the gods are silent because Rovagug escaped his prison and they're preoccupied with hiding that fact while they deal with him.

2. I really, really hope we get some interaction with Eox (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Eox). Maybe it's just me, but I love the concept behind that planet, and would love to see more of it.

I can't swear to this, but I feel like James Sutter specifically mentioned Eox at the Distant Worlds panel that turned out to be a Starfinder panel.

ZeroiaSD
2016-06-01, 04:44 PM
Eox strikes me as one of the major rival/threats to deal with. There's whatever outside ones (probably the Dark Tapestry), and then there's the liches next door.

Hm... is Golarion's moon gone too? Because, y'know, moon demons were a thing.

Ssalarn
2016-06-01, 05:15 PM
Eox strikes me as one of the major rival/threats to deal with. There's whatever outside ones (probably the Dark Tapestry), and then there's the liches next door.

Hm... is Golarion's moon gone too? Because, y'know, moon demons were a thing.

Strange Aeons is also supposed to have a new Great Old One in every book, so if they do decide to equate the fringes of space with the Dark Tapestry and such, there's probably a lot of material to play with.

Also Strange Aeons will include Carcosa, a parasitic city on a planet devoted to Hastur which exists solely for the purpose of helping Hastur achieve godhood, so I think some space horrors are probably a safe bet.

ZeroiaSD
2016-06-01, 06:15 PM
Strange Aeons is also supposed to have a new Great Old One in every book, so if they do decide to equate the fringes of space with the Dark Tapestry and such, there's probably a lot of material to play with.

Also Strange Aeons will include Carcosa, a parasitic city on a planet devoted to Hastur which exists solely for the purpose of helping Hastur achieve godhood, so I think some space horrors are probably a safe bet.

There's also the Dominion of the Black, which seems to interact with- but is opposed to- the Dark Tapestry.

Bet that planet will be one of the ones beyond Golarion's system the book touches on.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-06-01, 07:57 PM
And here I was planning a Eoxian Bone-Sage for a comic relief character; before they all turned to liches, he was the planet's foremost... medical surgeon.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-01, 08:01 PM
And here I was planning a Eoxian Bone-Sage for a comic relief character; before they all turned to liches, he was the planet's foremost... medical surgeon.

His nickname can be 'Bones' just to continue the Star Trek theme.

Sayt
2016-06-01, 09:30 PM
There's also the Dominion of the Black, which seems to interact with- but is opposed to- the Dark Tapestry.

Bet that planet will be one of the ones beyond Golarion's system the book touches on.

Wasn't the Dominion in service to the Dark Tapestry (or parts of it), but competing with the Mi-Go?

ZeroiaSD
2016-06-02, 12:37 AM
Wasn't the Dominion in service to the Dark Tapestry (or parts of it), but competing with the Mi-Go?

Their relationship with the Dark Tapestry is unusual, they seem to be pro-Dark Tapestry, while opposed to the known gods of it (at least the Outer Gods it seems) and their followers (such as the Mi-go and their following of Shub-Niggurath). They also seem to have a weird religious worship of black holes.

Florian
2016-06-02, 12:48 AM
Their relationship with the Dark Tapestry is unusual, they seem to be pro-Dark Tapestry, while opposed to the known gods of it (at least the Outer Gods it seems) and their followers (such as the Mi-go and their following of Shub-Niggurath). They also seem to have a weird religious worship of black holes.

As far as I´ve understood it, their thing is the actual Dark Tapestry itself and everything else is just pretenders that stand in the way.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-06-02, 07:35 AM
His nickname can be 'Bones' just to continue the Star Trek theme.

"Do you know how many times per millennium that undead need medical attention? ZERO!"

Also, I wonder how they are going to handle tech; if they're going to rewrite the existing tech rules or whatever. I wonder if they're going to go with some sort of simple 'technology level' template; would be interesting. It would be very interesting if they had alternate lists of proficiencies; if, using PF for an example, you want to stat up a future human cybersoldier fighter, it never made sense to me that he knew how to handle a sword by default.

Tetsubo 57
2016-06-02, 11:44 AM
I'm really looking forward to this book. I loved Dragonstar. It would seem the books Arsenal and Factory are tailor made for this setting. I also think Dawning Start: Helios Rising might be useful.

KnightDisciple
2016-06-02, 01:04 PM
Very excited about this.

A few things I hope to see:
-Laser swords and/or other ridiculous space-age techno-futuristic melee weapons
-Variety of spaceship rules (shiny metal! techno-organic! etc. etc. etc.)
-Super soldiers; minimum of MCU!Steve Rogers, if not all-out Adeptus Astartes (SPACE MARINES!) level stuff
-Power Armor
-Easy and versatile cybernetics
-Vehicles of all shapes, sizes, and kinds

Also, we know we're getting Androids as a Core race for Starfinder. I'd really like to see options for Androids becoming...more than meets the eye. :smallamused:

Florian
2016-06-02, 01:06 PM
Hm? We already have laser sword, cybernetics and power armor...

KnightDisciple
2016-06-02, 01:17 PM
Hm? We already have laser sword, cybernetics and power armor...
As I recall there's, what, 1-2 models of Power Armor?
I'm talking as much variety as Pathfinder has for "medieval" armor.

As for the laser sword, notice that I said "Laser swords and/or other ridiculous space-age techno-futuristic melee weapons". And, again, yes, the Technology Guide gives us a handful of examples but I want more!

And, again, I specifically wrote "Easy and versatile cybernetics". I was feeling too lazy to expound and say "things like Doctor Octopus, an Adeptus Mechanicus Techpriest, and/or Comics!Extremis Tony Stark should all be doable".

And I guess maybe I should have made it clear/explicit that I'm hoping all of the above are core to the system?

Halae
2016-06-02, 07:37 PM
I could see them being core. Plus, it'll give them an opportunity to revisit the frankly ludicrous cybernetics system - whose idea was it to make it so that nobody that isn't a warder or a wziard are actually capable of using cybernetics? both Constitution AND Intelligence is way too much, nevermind the fact that they cost out the ass in spite of this.

Milo v3
2016-06-02, 08:52 PM
I could see them being core. Plus, it'll give them an opportunity to revisit the frankly ludicrous cybernetics system - whose idea was it to make it so that nobody that isn't a warder or a wziard are actually capable of using cybernetics? both Constitution AND Intelligence is way too much, nevermind the fact that they cost out the ass in spite of this.

The costs are actually correct according to the item creation guidelines. Since they don't use up magic item body slots the cost is doubled.

Halae
2016-06-02, 08:59 PM
Not true! They use slots - extremely limited slots at that, thanks to the whole thing with both your intelligence and constitution needing to be high to use them.

Additionally, every technological item has their price doubled for no reason other than "you can still enchant it". I've checked, I've done the math, and it's honestly really dumb. but cybernetics are the worst of the lot because they can outright cripple your character, they have a completely nonsensical slot restriction on top of their humongous cost, and they don't even do much for the slots and price, in some instances. AND since they're part of your body, you can't actually enchant them.

For the restriction of having a minimum stat, there should be a 30% discount on the price. For needing two, it should probably be even lower. but instead, we have it priced as if it was an ioun stone that has no use requirements.

And it gets better, because if you ever get the damn thing damaged, it could seriously hinder your character. Lost your cyberarm? Too bad, you're now a one-armed man!

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-06-02, 09:53 PM
While the economy system will certainly have to be revisited or revised, I don't see a problem with the Con/Int limitation. Unless you've either dumped Con or Int below 10, any character can get even the most expensive implant, implantation cost-wise (mark V dermal plating, 10 points). Likewise, a character with an 8 in either stat would have to get all four limbs replaced to reach their threshold.

Thealtruistorc
2016-06-02, 10:24 PM
This will likely take a lot of implementation, but I would like to see a kingmaker-style space colony ruleset for Starfinder at some point. I could envision something akin to the later Ender books, with multiple groups flying through the cosmos to claim planets as their own. That honestly sounds like a fantastic idea for a game, and I may have to DM something like that once this is released.

Halae
2016-06-02, 10:30 PM
While the economy system will certainly have to be revisited or revised, I don't see a problem with the Con/Int limitation. Unless you've either dumped Con or Int below 10, any character can get even the most expensive implant, implantation cost-wise (mark V dermal plating, 10 points). Likewise, a character with an 8 in either stat would have to get all four limbs replaced to reach their threshold.

... Dammit. I finally read it again and noticed that it's score, rather than modifier.

Alright, I accept that I am now a dumbass. Nevermind me. I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about >.>

Lord_Gareth
2016-06-02, 10:32 PM

Everything about this information is hurtful to me. Are you entirely sure Paizo understands Lovecraft?

Halae
2016-06-02, 10:51 PM
Given JJ once said that between Rovagug and Azathoth, Rovagug would win "because he can think"? Nah, I really doubt that Paizo understands lovecraft.

Lord_Gareth
2016-06-02, 10:56 PM
Given JJ once said that between Rovagug and Azathoth, Rovagug would win "because he can think"? Nah, I really doubt that Paizo understands lovecraft.

Just when I'd managed to drink that memory away, you bring it back. Why would you say that to innocent people? Or me?

On a more on-topic note, I'm deadly curious as to how the combat will be handled, mostly because of the implied differences in genre creating the expectation of more ranged combat than melee. That sort of shift in implementation would be fascinating to observe, provided Paizo can actually pull it off.

Halae
2016-06-02, 11:53 PM
Oddly enough, the modern firearms in pathfinder are actually pretty decent. The trick, of course, is that they can't just make another gunslinger and call it a day, and given they want "space marine" characters I'm willing to bet we'll see a few melee specialists ala 40k.

Seriously, I really hope they don't make another gunslinger class. That was a bad, bad design.

Milo v3
2016-06-03, 12:11 AM
Everything about this information is hurtful to me. Are you entirely sure Paizo understands Lovecraft?

I think they did admit that Aeons was going to be a PF adventure with eldritch backdrops, not have Lovecraftian themes.

jjcrpntr
2016-06-22, 04:37 PM
This will likely take a lot of implementation, but I would like to see a kingmaker-style space colony ruleset for Starfinder at some point. I could envision something akin to the later Ender books, with multiple groups flying through the cosmos to claim planets as their own. That honestly sounds like a fantastic idea for a game, and I may have to DM something like that once this is released.

This does sound kind of cool. My players and I are all really excited about Starfinder and they want me to run a game when it comes out (after I've had a few weeks to go over the book(s)). One thing I'm thinking of doing is writing up 30 or so "missions" and at the start of the campaign each player will draw one at random from a stack. It'll be a thing where their character had a mission before setting out and they have to try and accomplish this individual thing as well as the campaign at large. Thinking they could vary from "Go to space station X and bring the generals daughter back" to "Go to planet Y and stop the prince from taking the throne". or whatever. I really like pathfinder but the options for games/settings and such in Starfinder sounds like it will be so much greater.

Thealtruistorc
2016-06-22, 06:08 PM
I think they did admit that Aeons was going to be a PF adventure with eldritch backdrops, not have Lovecraftian themes.

Given that the title of the adventure path is a quote from Call of Cthulhu, it seems that they do indeed intend to cover Lovecraft's stuff in the vulnerable, beatable manner. The best we can hope is to cannibalize as much as possible for genuinely terrifying homebrew campaigns.

Milo v3
2016-06-22, 06:13 PM
Given that the title of the adventure path is a quote from Call of Cthulhu, it seems that they do indeed intend to cover Lovecraft's stuff in the vulnerable, beatable manner. The best we can hope is to cannibalize as much as possible for genuinely terrifying homebrew campaigns.

The fact that it'll be very very beatable is why I said it wont be lovecraftian themes. PF is power fantasy... lovecraftian themes is sorta the opposite. It's just using the eldritch lovecraftian stuff for a backdrop and atmosphere as far as I can tell.

Sayt
2016-06-22, 09:32 PM
Given what I've heard about Strange Aeons, it's going to be banging pretty hard on the bells of fear of the unknown/unknowable. Is it gonna be straight Lovecraft mythos? No, almost certainly not, has has been said, that wouldn't mix well with Pathfinder. But I think that the Mythos can be adapted to blend with other genres and types of stories without losing the special something. Charles Stross does a good Lovecraft-***-spy thriller by name of The Laundry Files.

Wonton
2016-06-23, 09:55 AM
This sounds fun - a chance for a sci-fi system to really break into the mainstream. Hopefully they don't import the same problem of needing a feat to walk to the bathroom though.

I'm curious what you meant by this. Are you referring to Pathfinder or another system when you say that? I do think it's funny that in Pathfinder, for example, you need to be level 12 to learn how to break someone's neck (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/neckbreaker-combat). Wizards go from Dancing Lights to Plane Shift in that time, while it takes a Monk/Fighter 12 levels to learn how to grab someone's head and twist.

Thealtruistorc
2016-06-23, 10:12 AM
I'm curious what you meant by this. Are you referring to Pathfinder or another system when you say that? I do think it's funny that in Pathfinder, for example, you need to be level 12 to learn how to break someone's neck (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/neckbreaker-combat). Wizards go from Dancing Lights to Plane Shift in that time, while it takes a Monk/Fighter 12 levels to learn how to grab someone's head and twist.

This is referring to pathfinder's bloated and frankly unfun number of prerequisite feats that are required for most builds. Ultimate combat has a bunch of fun options that are locked up behind Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Focus, Improved Unarmed Strike, and a whole bunch of other feats you never wanted to take in the first place. And even when you do get all of those, you have to got through a whole feat chain just to finally get what you want.

Whip Mastery is by far the worst offender in this department. Four feats just to do what most people assume comes with whip proficiency.

Wonton
2016-06-23, 10:26 AM
This is referring to pathfinder's bloated and frankly unfun number of prerequisite feats that are required for most builds. Ultimate combat has a bunch of fun options that are locked up behind Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Focus, Improved Unarmed Strike, and a whole bunch of other feats you never wanted to take in the first place. And even when you do get all of those, you have to got through a whole feat chain just to finally get what you want.

Whip Mastery is by far the worst offender in this department. Four feats just to do what most people assume comes with whip proficiency.

I've actually houseruled in my most recent game that Dodge comes bundled with Mobility, Point Blank Shot comes bundled with Precise Shot, and Combat Expertise comes bundled with any one feat that has Combat Expertise as a pre-req. It's working pretty damn well so far! You can actually hit things at level 1 with a bow even if you're not a human, for example. Improved Disarm is actually seeing some play, and the Rogue took Dodge+Mobility, so there's potential to pick up Spring Attack later. I chose those 3 as they seem like the worst examples of "feat tax" to me (PBS is alright, but archers could use some love anyway). The other option is just to give everyone a bonus feat at first level (or maybe even at 2,4, every even level?), but that devalues humans a bit.

I hope this isn't derailing the thread too much. Edit: Made a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?492468-quot-Feat-tax-quot-and-Feat-houserules&p=20924211) so that this one can focus on Starfinder discussion.