PDA

View Full Version : Question on druid wildshape.

Rawk
2016-05-29, 07:21 AM
Im a fairly new dm dming fairly new players and the level 2 druid in the party wants to use his wildshape skill to transform into an ape. Should i allow this? Is it too OP?

hymer
2016-05-29, 07:25 AM
Im a fairly new dm dming fairly new players and the level 2 druid in the party wants to use his wildshape skill to transform into an ape. Should i allow this? Is it too OP?

He could by the rules transform into a CR 1 brown bear or dire wolf over a CR ½ ape, even. Right now is when the moon druid is at its very strongest (with the possible exception of level 20) compared to its level.
It's strong, it's probably OP. But at least it'll come under control by level 5.

Edit: Do note that there is a rule that the druid must have seen the animal to be able to turn into it.

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 08:12 AM
Edit: Do note that there is a rule that the druid must have seen the animal to be able to turn into it.This is true:
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before.So, if you're gonna DM for a party with a Druid, you and the Druid should first settle on a list of animals that the Druid has seen before in his life in the forest (or whatever place he previously lived in). For instance, it makes no sense for a druid, under normal circumstances, to have ever seen an Allosaurus (it is classified Beast though, so if he ever does see one, he can turn into one). If he lived in the forest for most of his life, he might have never seen a Giant Octopus, but chances are he's already seen a bear, pehaps a dire wolf, and some other interesting stuff as well.

And on that note, a good DM would also introduce new animals at certain points in the campaign so that the Druid can add them to his "transormable beast" list, which will make the Druid player happy and feel special. They key to good DM'ing is to know what the players want you to provide them, and provide them with it.

Plaguescarred
2016-05-29, 08:34 AM
Also if he really want to shapechange into an ape but you don't want it to be too powerful but within CR range, you can always reskin an animal which he can shapechange into an ape without much effort. This could potentially make everybody happy :)

Logosloki
2016-05-29, 08:36 AM
Let the druid enjoy their little powerspike, it starts to go downhill from 5 for them and doesn't pick up till 18 ish. If anything shave a bit of hp off, or use other situations to bait out wildshape. To be honest it isn't actually as broken as people make it out, more surprising than anything.

Spacehamster
2016-05-29, 09:47 AM
Let the druid enjoy their little powerspike, it starts to go downhill from 5 for them and doesn't pick up till 18 ish. If anything shave a bit of hp off, or use other situations to bait out wildshape. To be honest it isn't actually as broken as people make it out, more surprising than anything.

This I have never understood, how is being able to fight pretty good AND have access to full casting "downhill"?

hymer
2016-05-29, 09:55 AM
This I have never understood, how is being able to fight pretty good AND have access to full casting "downhill"?

It's downhill from the peak of moon druid level 2.

Gastronomie
2016-05-29, 10:13 AM
I dunno 'cause I've never actually seen a Moon Druid in real play many times, but:
It's strong, it's probably OP. But at least it'll come under control by level 5.Isn't level 5 where the druid gets the uber-broken Conjure Animals and terrorizes the DM?

hymer
2016-05-29, 10:20 AM
I dunno 'cause I've never actually seen a Moon Druid in real play many times, but:Isn't level 5 where the druid gets the uber-broken Conjure Animals and terrorizes the DM?

Casters tend to get something really strong at level 5; fireball, spirit guardians, conjure animals. But I was talking about wild shape. Its offensive power is no longer likely to be greater than that of the dedicated melee, and its hp are no longer between two and three times the druid's own.

Spacehamster
2016-05-29, 10:36 AM
It's downhill from the peak of moon druid level 2.

Well true but at least to me "downhill" makes it sound like it sucks which it does not. :)

hymer
2016-05-29, 10:39 AM
Well true but at least to me "downhill" makes it sound like it sucks which it does not. :)

I don't think it's meant to sound like that, but then I can't speak for the ones who say it. I agree with you, obviously. Druids are kewl. :smallcool:

D.U.P.A.
2016-05-29, 03:34 PM
Speaking of Ape, how can use a ranged attack? It needs to pick a rock, any rock? Can use any other weapons? What about magic stones?