PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Balor Lords of differing damage types

Xuldarinar
2016-05-29, 08:17 PM
As noted on the PFSRD, Balor lords (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/balor/balor-lord) gain an additional ability from a decent list by merit of them being balor lords. One of these, being the subject of this discussion, is Stormlord.

To the point; Given all the damage types in the game, what damage type do you think would make for the most interesting for a balor lord to be adjusted to (using Stormlord as the basis), and how would you present it thematically?

Frostlord (Su)

The balor's spell-like abilities, death throes, and flaming body abilities can inflict cold damage instead of fire damage, as appropriate—the balor lord can decide to adjust its fire damage in this way instantaneously. cold resistance is halved against this cold damage, and cold immunity is treated as resist cold 20. Up to once per round when the balor lord is targeted by cold damage, it can choose to heal damage equal to the amount of cold damage caused rather than simply be immune to the damage.

JNAProductions
2016-05-29, 08:19 PM
Sonic is a classic.

Malimar
2016-05-29, 08:21 PM
Sonic damage would be very punk rock, but (depending on how exactly you fluff it) might be suitable only for a game whose tone is already at least a little silly.

Xuldarinar
2016-05-29, 08:34 PM
Sonic is a classic.

Sonic damage would be very punk rock, but (depending on how exactly you fluff it) might be suitable only for a game whose tone is already at least a little silly.

Hmm..

I can see a balor lord with the title of ,The Howling Lord. Though, one could certainly also take a musical approach to it.

Necroticplague
2016-05-29, 08:51 PM
Hellfire Lord (SU)
This raging lord's heart is an engine, burning all that is good in the world to fuel it's eternal spite.
The balor's spell-like abilities, death throes, and flaming body abilities can inflict hellfire damage instead of fire damage, as appropriate—the balor lord can decide to adjust its fire damage in this way instantaneously. Hellfire resistance is halved against this hellfire damage, and hellfire immunity is treated as resist hellfire 20. Up to once per round when the balor lord is targeted by hellfire damage, it can choose to heal damage equal to the amount of hellfire damage caused rather than simply be immune to the damage.

Not sure how much of an improvement against many other demons, who are immune to the divine energy, but it acts as a 50% damage boost against the good.

Xuldarinar
2016-05-30, 02:54 AM
Hellfire Lord (SU)
This raging lord's heart is an engine, burning all that is good in the world to fuel it's eternal spite.
The balor's spell-like abilities, death throes, and flaming body abilities can inflict hellfire damage instead of fire damage, as appropriate—the balor lord can decide to adjust its fire damage in this way instantaneously. Hellfire resistance is halved against this hellfire damage, and hellfire immunity is treated as resist hellfire 20. Up to once per round when the balor lord is targeted by hellfire damage, it can choose to heal damage equal to the amount of hellfire damage caused rather than simply be immune to the damage.

Not sure how much of an improvement against many other demons, who are immune to the divine energy, but it acts as a 50% damage boost against the good.

Im not sure on this one. In essence, by switching it to hellfire, the balor can choose whether or not half of their fire damage ignores resistance already. Would it then ignore 75% of fire resistance then, or just 50? Hellfire resistance and immunity is something I've never seen, and im not sure how to adjudicate. But once you get past all this..

A balor lord imbue with the flames of hell? That, actually could have some interesting thematic implications.

upho
2016-05-30, 07:48 AM
Sonic damage would be very punk rock, but (depending on how exactly you fluff it) might be suitable only for a game whose tone is already at least a little silly.I saw what you did there! :smalltongue:

Anywho, I think sonic sounds like a sound and interesting take, and also my kind of tune. (Sorry 'bout the bad sound puns, I blame Malimar for starting it...:smallwink:) Although I must admit I have a thing for D&D/PF demons being "most metal ever", and thus wouldn't mind a sonic balor lord flavored as simply roaring and growling in best black/death metal style, I think I'd try to flavor it as more disturbing abilities. For example, I might fluff the whip as a long chain seemingly made of the heads, or just mouths, of the balor's previous victims, all sobbing and crying softly when the whip is held, but screaming in a horrible cacophony of pain and rage with each lash ending in an earth-shattering crack. The sword could fluffed as constantly vibrating when wielded, constantly ringing sharply like an enormous bell. The armor of the balor could likewise be wrought into the shapes of twisted demonic mouths, all suddenly coming alive and roaring with hatred at any creature who comes close enough, while the balor's wings beat the air like thunderclaps, deafening nearby creatures. I'd also switch out some of the SLAs to suitable sonic and/or sound-based spells.

In addition, I like Necroticplague's hellfire idea and wouldn't hesitate to explore options besides those based on the five elemental energy damage types. For example, I could see a balor lord based on negative energy as potentially very different and absolutely terrifying, without necessarily having too complex or far-reaching balance consequences.

khadgar567
2016-05-30, 07:58 AM
I saw what you did there! :smalltongue:

Anywho, I think sonic sounds like a sound and interesting take, and also my kind of tune. (Sorry 'bout the bad sound puns, I blame Malimar for starting it...:smallwink:) Although I must admit I have a thing for D&D/PF demons being "most metal ever", and thus wouldn't mind a sonic balor lord flavored as simply roaring and growling in best black/death metal style, I think I'd try to flavor it as more disturbing abilities. For example, I might fluff the whip as a long chain seemingly made of the heads, or just mouths, of the balor's previous victims, all sobbing and crying softly when the whip is held, but screaming in a horrible cacophony of pain and rage with each lash ending in an earth-shattering crack. The sword could fluffed as constantly vibrating when wielded, constantly ringing sharply like an enormous bell. The armor of the balor could likewise be wrought into the shapes of twisted demonic mouths, all suddenly coming alive and roaring with hatred at any creature who comes close enough, while the balor's wings beat the air like thunderclaps, deafening nearby creatures. I'd also switch out some of the SLAs to suitable sonic and/or sound-based spells.

In addition, I like Necroticplague's hellfire idea and wouldn't hesitate to explore options besides those based on the five elemental energy damage types. For example, I could see a balor lord based on negative energy as potentially very different and absolutely terrifying, without necessarily having too complex or far-reaching balance consequences.
or you can go with classic like axe guitar instead of sword for whip just give him a chain probably spiked and and has aqua man like hook as tip

Thealtruistorc
2016-05-30, 08:27 AM
or you can go with classic like axe guitar instead of sword for whip just give him a chain probably spiked and and has aqua man like hook as tip

Can I be the first to suggest thet this beast take levels in Skald for maximum effect? Maybe change some feats out for more music- and intimidation-based abilities (I mean, there's a dazzling display, and then there's whatever this monstrosity comes up with).

Gallowglass
2016-05-30, 08:43 AM
Lava or city.

khadgar567
2016-05-30, 08:44 AM
Lava or city.

come again?

Xuldarinar
2016-05-30, 09:58 AM
I saw what you did there! :smalltongue:

Well, lets list all damage types (Some being more debatable than others);

Ability damage
Acid
Bludgeoning
Cold
Divine
Electricity
Fire
Force
Holy
Negative
Non-lethal
Piercing
Positive
Slashing
Sonic
Unholy
Untyped

Any I am missing any?

How about a Balor that deals in positive energy rather than flame?

Necroticplague
2016-05-30, 10:18 AM
If Nonlethal damage is a valid option, than Precision damage should also be. They're both in the same category of 'modification to another damage type' (i.e, nonlethal bludgeoning damage, precision piercing damage).

Incidentally, love the idea of a balor who uses nonlethal damage conversion. A sadist who loves to have enemies at her mercy, so she prefers to knock someone out, then CdG them after they're awake and letting them squirm a little.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-30, 10:45 AM
Sonic could be "Thunder lord" or somesuch. I'd allow it but reduce the damage (by a die type if that is how the damage is expressed, or some other way).

upho
2016-05-30, 06:26 PM
If Nonlethal damage is a valid option, than Precision damage should also be. They're both in the same category of 'modification to another damage type' (i.e, nonlethal bludgeoning damage, precision piercing damage).

Incidentally, love the idea of a balor who uses nonlethal damage conversion. A sadist who loves to have enemies at her mercy, so she prefers to knock someone out, then CdG them after they're awake and letting them squirm a little.Oh yes! This gets two thumbs up from me. Mechanically, I'd probably mix in a bit of pain effects and perhaps also give the balor some reward depending on the amount of pain he can inflict (self-healing?). Of course flavored as the balor showing obvious signs of getting sexual pleasure from torturing his victims.

Might also open up some very interesting story implications if such a balor lord is connected to Zon-Kuthon.

BearonVonMu
2016-05-30, 07:04 PM
Lava or city.

come again?

Cityscape introduced "City" as a damage type. Other than the feat "City Magic", it didn't receive much support, and was a little silly in most contexts.
Lava, as I recall, never explicitly stated that it did fire damage, and so was untyped.
The idea is that both of these damage types are difficult to resist.

Grytorm
2016-05-30, 07:37 PM
I believe Dessication is a damage type in Sandstorm. It is resistant to healing unless you rehydrate.

Psyren
2016-05-30, 07:52 PM
Lava is "untyped" but fire resistance and immunity both apply to it so I'd say the distinction is a bit moot.

Master of Magic and Soul Swallow are far more useful than changing its energy type, though.

Anlashok
2016-05-30, 08:10 PM
Master of Magic and Soul Swallow are far more useful than changing its energy type, though.

Which makes it sort of a shame that you can only ever get one unique property, as you've got power options like those two competing with stormlord which is more or less just a flavor option, though Soul Swallower can be pretty cool if you play it a bit loose flavor wise. I wish they'd gone further with it. Make it lightning outright rather than optional and then add some proper support for it.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-30, 08:38 PM
Cityscape introduced "City" as a damage type. Other than the feat "City Magic", it didn't receive much support, and was a little silly in most contexts.

And here I was hoping for some sort of demon of urban decay and blight.

Thealtruistorc
2016-05-30, 09:00 PM
And here I was hoping for some sort of demon of urban decay and blight.

I'm envisioning something closer to a demonic gangster who uses a chain instead of a whip and maybe a gigantic baseball bat club instead of a sword (heck, throw in a machine gun if you want).

Combine this premise with the sonic balor and this thing could have one of the greatest monster rappers this side of KenDrake Lamarr and GelatinIce Cube. Now we just need an appropriate name...

Feel free to tell me how awful these puns are.

Gallowglass
2016-05-31, 02:16 PM
Lava, as I recall, never explicitly stated that it did fire damage, and so was untyped.
The idea is that both of these damage types are difficult to resist.

Yes, I was making a joke based on how often "Lava" damage and "City" damage get cited in RAWarrior TO builds. Despite the fact that Lava isn't really a damage type and City (in addition to being ridiculous) should be fairly setting-limited.