PDA

View Full Version : Soulfire

Shnigda
2016-05-29, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, just wondering how the Soulfire enchantment works in relation to special death effects.

With the Tomb of Horrors boss, his abilities allow him to absorb the soul of characters. How would Soulfire interact with the boss' various abilities?

tyckspoon
2016-05-30, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, just wondering how the Soulfire enchantment works in relation to special death effects.

With the Tomb of Horrors boss, his abilities allow him to absorb the soul of characters. How would Soulfire interact with the boss' various abilities?

If I recall correctly Soulfire protects you from things with the [Death] keyword/things that are specifically labeled a death effect. It will not protect you against things that merely kill you. So it depends on whether the guy who wrote that monster thought to tag its abilities properly.. or possibly did not do so deliberately so that things like Soulfire and Death Ward couldn't save you. I don't have the relevant monster's text in front of me to check.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-30, 10:42 AM
AFAIK soul trapping is normally distinct from a [death] effect, and often allows for the soul to be returned with no overall harm to the creature.

Inevitability
2016-05-30, 10:45 AM
AFAIK soul trapping is normally distinct from a [death] effect, and often allows for the soul to be returned with no overall harm to the creature.

This. Magic Jar, for one, isn't a death effect. In fact, it specifically works on certain creatures immune to death effects.

Thurbane
2016-05-30, 10:54 PM
Agreed.

Trap The Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) does no have a Death descriptor, and is not even necromancy.

It's not a perfect analog, but I'm just reiterating what others have summed up - I don't believe Soulfire will help you with this particular monster.

Shnigda
2016-05-31, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure that Soulfire wouldn't help, but just wanted to double check!