PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Mafilux
2016-05-30, 01:46 AM
Just wondering what + to hit means? You guys have been so helpful to me as a new DM. Is it a + to their roll, or is it a + to damage? I see it everywhere in the monster manual. Thanks.

busterswd
2016-05-30, 02:00 AM
Just wondering what + to hit means? You guys have been so helpful to me as a new DM. Is it a + to their roll, or is it a + to damage? I see it everywhere in the monster manual. Thanks.

To attack roll, ie: the d20

Mafilux
2016-05-30, 02:02 AM
To attack roll, ie: the d20

Ah so it's just a bonus to the roll? Thanks.

Also while I have your attention - do strength or dexterity bonuses add to the roll?

AmayaElls
2016-05-30, 02:10 AM
Depends on their attack type. Generally ranged uses Dex while melee uses strength, though there are some exceptions as finesse weapons can use either stat for melee.

Arkhios
2016-05-30, 02:14 AM
Ah so it's just a bonus to the roll? Thanks.

Also while I have your attention - do strength or dexterity bonuses add to the roll?

the + to Hit in monster manual have already calculated either strength or dexterity to the to hit bonus for every creature found in there.
the same is true for damage rolls. Everything relevant has already been calculated.
the layout is simple on purpose. the only reason why ability modifiers are shown in the statblocks is that sometimes some things target those abilities.

Mafilux
2016-05-30, 02:21 AM
Depends on their attack type. Generally ranged uses Dex while melee uses strength, though there are some exceptions as finesse weapons can use either stat for melee.

Yes I understand finessse and critical rolls associated with that, and also that dex is mainly ranged and str is mainly melee, I'm just curious as to how the +'s add to it. I know certain actions like athletics checks get a player a bonus to their roll, I;m just wondering if it has an effect on damage rolls?

Arkhios
2016-05-30, 02:30 AM
Yes I understand finessse and critical rolls associated with that, and also that dex is mainly ranged and str is mainly melee, I'm just curious as to how the +'s add to it. I know certain actions like athletics checks get a player a bonus to their roll, I;m just wondering if it has an effect on damage rolls?

Critical rolls are not explicitly associated with dexterity; they are equally associated with Strength (and all three mental ability scores in case of spellcasters making attacks with spells) as well. Where did you get the assumption of Dexterity having something to do with critical rolls, anyway? It's not from the 5th edition D&D rules.

Also, see to my previous post.

Mafilux
2016-05-30, 02:45 AM
Critical rolls are not explicitly associated with dexterity; they are equally associated with Strength (and all three mental ability scores in case of spellcasters making attacks with spells) as well. Where did you get the assumption of Dexterity having something to do with critical rolls, anyway? It's not from the 5th edition D&D rules.

Also, see to my previous post.

Huh? I mean a rapier has a margin for error for critical rolls (18-20). I'm not saying that a critical roll is inherently a dex or finesse based thing. Regardless, I'm not here to dispute semantics, I'm just wondering about +'s.

Arkhios
2016-05-30, 03:14 AM
Huh? I mean a rapier has a margin for error for critical rolls (18-20). I'm not saying that a critical roll is inherently a dex or finesse based thing. Regardless, I'm not here to dispute semantics, I'm just wondering about +'s.

Uhm... what? I'm not disputing semantics, I'm referring to the actual, factual rules of the game we're presumably talking about ...Are we talking about 5th edition D&D or not? because in 5th edition weapons don't have inherent critical hit margins like they did in previous editions. All weapons, regardless of their properties, do a critical hit with a natural 20, period.
The only exception to this rule is Champion (fighter archetype), and its class features.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-05-30, 03:29 AM
The rules distinguish damage rolls and attack rolls very well, and do the same for the bonuses applying to each. Read them carefully (and in full) and you will get all the information you need.

Do make sure you have the right edition's manual though, as above poster said. The rules in different versions of D&D are very different. (I feel stupid saying that, but it's true)