PDA

View Full Version : Psionic gish equipment

Falcii
2016-05-30, 02:24 AM
I am playing a fairly low optimization campaign but pretty soon my baby ego psion will have access to the move by wire trick. Sure most if the time I'll just metamorphosis into a Hydra or something but I should really try to find a melee weapon that's worth a damn and doesn't cost too much. also other equipment that is super helpful (and please please simple) would be nice to know about.

Tiri
2016-05-30, 02:54 AM
You're playing a baby?!

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-30, 08:46 AM
Since you're using metamorphosis, you'll need a versatile weapon that's capable of keeping up with you, regardless of form.

A +1 dragonbone elvencraft composite longbow with the sizing enhancement on one end of the quarterstaff would be great. If you add a bayonet or a bow-spike, you get piercing or slashing damage in melee, too. Add wand chambers and oil chambers to the quartstaff ends, to the bow portion, and to the bayonet or bow-spike, as well. Then you can add whatever enhancements you like after that (such as morphing, for a reach weapon). It can be used as a melee weapon (TWF or TH) and as a ranged weapon that auto-adjusts to your Str score.

Look into preferred bow enhancements (like splitting), and maybe look into turning it into a pseudo-Taulmaril via Hank's energy bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a).

[edit] I have one character who focuses on his Improved Unarmed Strike. He has levels in monk and psychic warrior, and uses the soulbound weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) for a pair of two-handed gauntlets (as per the rules in Savage Species for adding additional the use of an additional hand while fighting) that he summons on his feet (which are prehensile -- hence being foot-gauntlets). With the options he's got, his base reach is 30', with an extra +30' for unarmed strikes on his turn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127732-3-X-Increasing-Size-Effective-Size-Unarmed-Damage-Reach) (see the Long Reach feat and the aptitude weapon ability), throwing and distance, claws and the Beast Strike feat, the decisive strike ACF, the Improved Trip and Sun School feats, and a bunch of other additional extras. And since he uses his foot-gauntlets two-handed, he's got lots of extra bonus damage from Strength and Power Attack.

Honestly, Improved Unarmed Strike is by far the most useful weapon by orders of magnitude if you know how to use it.

Falcii
2016-05-30, 03:48 PM
Part of the control body move by wire cheese is that I use my int mod instead of my str one. I don't however know of any rules on how that works with ranged attacks which use the Dex mod.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-30, 03:54 PM
Part of the control body move by wire cheese is that I use my int mod instead of my str one. I don't however know of any rules on how that works with ranged attacks which use the Dex mod.You could always look in the Dragon Compendium for the poison ring, which deals 1 (+Int) point of damage on a touch attack. Grab a pair of gloves of the balanced hand for the TWF feat and then don't bother taking any further feats. Don't worry about further attack penalties for attacking with each hand; instead, just eat the penalties and make as many attacks as you can get. Equip poison rings on every hand you've got (remember: metamorphosis) and deal 1+Int damage on everything.