PDA

View Full Version : List of your most disappointing game moments

Rakin
2007-06-27, 02:04 PM
Here's a sister thread for the most underrated game thread.

I think my number one would have to be Fable. Not saying it was a bad game, only I made the mistake of reading all the promises and hype for the 2 or 3 years it took them to push it out.

3+ Years of development 10 hours of gameplay...

Gungnir
2007-06-27, 02:10 PM
Yea, like you didn't play it six times through.

I'd say it was when I found out the God of War was a trilogy, mostly because I didn't get to kill that bunghole Zeus. Also because even the slightest disappointment sticks out like the Washington Monument while sitting next to that pile of awesome deeds.

JellyPooga
2007-06-27, 02:41 PM
When I finished Planscape: Torment for the first time...I didn't want it to end at all :smallfrown:

FireSpark
2007-06-27, 03:21 PM
Hands down? The ending of KotOR II. Horrible. I know it was rushed, I know stuff got dropped, blah, blah, blah. In my opinion, if you have to drop a portion of a game, then drop everything in the game that relates to, or hints at teh dropped material. That way you don't waste time on stuff you're not going to wrap up anyway, and you spend it polishing the stuff that is staying in.

But I digress. Overall, the entire storyline experience to KotOR II was slow, horribly over-complicated, and in the end a failure. But I still like to play it sometimes, I just know that I'm doing it for the character leveling mechanics now.

ski309
2007-06-27, 03:32 PM
The end of King's Quest 8. ugh...

valadil
2007-06-27, 03:33 PM
Deus Ex 2. Since we're picking moments and not just entire games, I'll go with the first bit of gameplay in the demo. I didn't last 5 minutes before deciding that the sequel to my favorite game was a steaming pile of suck.

Xefas
2007-06-27, 03:46 PM
Probably the moment of greatest despair I've felt in gaming is when I hit my first 70 in World of Warcraft and realized that this insurmountable peak that I'd forced myself to trudge through hundreds of hours of useless and woefully unbalanced gameplay, nigh non-existant plot, and dealing with players whos common sense borders on nil, was nothing to write home about.

Not only that, but I'd actually been funneling cash into the creation of this moment of utter mind-consuming horror. I thought of all the things I could have done with that time and money that would have actually given me some sort of fulfillment, and it shamed me greatly...

Inigo_Carmine
2007-06-27, 03:50 PM
By disappointing I'm assuming you don't mean the worst, but ones that just fell abysmally short of your expectations...

1) Strider for the Sega Genesis
For some reason, I always wanted this game. I was young, and susceptible to advertising, and the "8 MEGA MEMORY" looked like it meant something really really cool. Also, while the price of other games dropped over time, for some reason this game remained at like $70 even while being out for a few years. It HAD to be awesome. When I finally shelled out the cash for it and....well, the name of this thread says it all.

2) Neverwinter Nights
After the absolute awesomeness that was Baldur's Gate 2, I spent every day for about 2 years waiting for this heavenly game to grace our earthly realm with its precense. All comments on the community created modules aside, the single-player campaign that came with this game was about half as exciting watching my hard drive defragment. Seriously, the only thing that didn't suck about it was Tommi's story about being ressurected when he says "Yoink! Not yet, stupid!" in a heavy british accent.

3) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
This game was supposed to be awesome. Metal Gear Solid was one of my favorite PS1 games, and this game was going to be like twice as good. I bought Zone of the Enders and got the demo, only to confirm its absolute awesomeness. Then the game finally gets released. Unfortunately, 10 more minutes of gameplay after the demo, you stop being the badass that is Solid Snake, and you have to be some whiny gender-confused crybaby named Raiden, who's only ability is to be able to annoy the hell out of me. The 15 plot twists in 20 seconds ending wasn't what I'd call good either, Solid Snake or not. Also, it's one of too many Japanese games where the end boss battle goes something like:

"Wow, I'm really damned confused now. I think what that other guy said just invalidated my entire reason for existence. Technically, we're not enemies anymore, but I still think we should probably just fight to the death because I really don't have anything else going on until about 5:30 tonight."

Krade
2007-06-27, 03:51 PM
The ending to FFXII. It was just so underwhelming that it might have been better just to roll credits after the last boss.

Tom_Violence
2007-06-27, 04:04 PM
I think this and the World of Warcraft thread should be merged. :smallamused:

WoodenTable
2007-06-27, 04:51 PM
The Fallout 2 endboss. I just couldn't figure out how to beat him. I had a super-kinetic-sledgehammer and pounded him everywhere with it; legs, arms, groin, face, eyes... I could knockback some enemies 20 hexes with a critical from that hammer, but on the endboss? Not a single point of damage. I got so frustrated I quit entirely. Eventually I found some tips for beating him on the internet, but by that point I had long since uninstalled it and really didn't feel like retracing my steps all that way.

Also, an old game called Fragile Allegiance. I had a heck of a time getting it up and running, and when I finally did, I had about 3 minutes playing it before it crashed. And corrupted some very important parts of Windows.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-27, 05:09 PM
The end of Soul Reaver (1)

Although to be fair, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance did bring a definitive ending to the Raziel story. Still hoping Crystal Dynamics goes back the LoK games in the next few years.

The trailer for City of Hero Asia

The new iconic characters showed some abilities vastly different from anything currently available to CoH/CoVplayers, not the least of which being a sword-scrapper using a pistol defensively. NCSoft has always shown strong resistance to introducing radically new powersets, not the least of which being pistols.

Pistols have also been one of the top player requests ever since the game went online. Developers have offered some really hollow arguments against allowing players to use pistols, but what it probably boils down to is that the weapon selection originally available to players (rifles, swords, maces, axes, wolverine claws) probably has more to do how easy it would be to find stock animation from other games.

Hermit
2007-06-27, 06:16 PM
Deus Ex: Invisible War. Particularly towards the end I was getting increasingly tired of it, but the final level itself I felt was a real letdown. Here's all the factions from the game conviniently in one place so you can kill all but one and get their ending. It meant all the player choices up to that point were unimportant. Worst was that one of the endings (I think it was the church one) made reference to Paul Denton's Body still being in storage, despite the fact I'd let him out at that point in the game. Felt really rushed to me and only strengthened my opinion that it was a vastly inferior sequal.

The final boss of Mario Sunshine comes to mind too. I'd really enjoyed the game, but that lame lava tunnel and then buggy final battle felt so very rushed and tacked on.

neriana
2007-06-27, 08:03 PM
I loved Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time. Great gameplay, interesting plot, likeable characters. And then I found out that stupid idiotic horrible despicable "twist", and I felt like the developers had just gone "nya nya nya" to not only the people playing and enjoying that game, but those who had played the previous two Star Ocean games as well. Ugh. I couldn't finish the game after that.

I've been disappointed in a lot of games, but that's the single most disappointing game moment I can remember.

Gales
2007-06-27, 11:44 PM
(I must mention that I was horribly disappointed with Lord of the Rings: The Third Age RPG... I should've learned that license-games are BAD.)

The ending of Half-Life 2... I was dying for answers, instead I got more questions, a half-assed ending, and later on that I would have to buy 3 additional "episodes" to finally get a clue what's going on.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty also had a lame ending. The twisted plot that twisted at one point got twisted so horribly that it didn't make me sense, and after I got the sense of it, it was just stupid.

Then I was dissapointed with Icewind Dale 2 when I realised that it was a linear monster-smash. Same with Dungeon Siege. Didn't finish them.

Setra
2007-06-27, 11:53 PM
Grandia 3.

Loved the first two. The third.. just lacked.

Tekar
2007-06-28, 03:01 AM
It wasn't exactly a moment but the slow realisation that Oblivion would suck. It started with the removal of levitation but only really sank in when they announced they would merge combat skills into Blade, Blunt and Marksman (and hand to hand but that's useless anyways) along with the removal of spears and crossbows.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-28, 04:39 AM
Talk to M'aiq the Liar about all that stuff and see what he has to say

Im gonna say in Medal of Honor European Assualt, the fact that EVERYBODY LITERALLY LOOKED LIKE RAGDOLLS!!! JOINTLESS!!! :smalleek: :smalleek:

Morty
2007-06-28, 06:17 AM
Talk to M'aiq the Liar about all that stuff and see what he has to say

You mean the sad attempts to make fun of the lacking features?
Yeah, Oblivon is disappointing as a whole. Especially when you realize that MQ will be completely boring, unoriginal and linear.
Other than that, KOTOR 2 ending. Utterly anticlimatic, not to mention cutting through hordes of assasins was boring.

Maxymiuk
2007-06-28, 11:37 AM
The last scene after the credits in Beyond Good and Evil. The game as a whole was awesome. That last scene... let's just say I'm refusing to believe it happened.

Ground Control II. When I've realized that they've took an excellent tactical game and snuck in resource management and troop production disguised as strategic point capture and "unit requisition."

Ranis
2007-06-28, 11:43 AM
I was playing Quake 4, and I died in an odd way that you're not supposed to, some debris from an explosion hit me and knocked me off of an edge you're not supposed to be able to fall from.

Now the game won't load my last save. *grumble*

Hoggy
2007-06-28, 12:41 PM
The final level of Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter. Great game I say, but the last level is flawed.

Okay, so, jump in in my hyped-up spaceworthy paddleboat, and into a small army of enemy ships. So, voom voom boom, 10 minutes later and I've managed to limp through that horde single-handedly, and then I land on the enemy ship...

...at which point I totally give up hope. The amount of enemies to kill is unreal, and I find it hard to beleive anyone has completed that game. I couldn't even do it on easy. So many rockets flying around... I still have nightmares about it. I liek a challenge, but that was stupidly hard. Such a shame, because I loved the game.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-28, 03:09 PM
Hands down? The ending of KotOR II. Horrible. I know it was rushed, I know stuff got dropped, blah, blah, blah. In my opinion, if you have to drop a portion of a game, then drop everything in the game that relates to, or hints at teh dropped material. That way you don't waste time on stuff you're not going to wrap up anyway, and you spend it polishing the stuff that is staying in.

But I digress. Overall, the entire storyline experience to KotOR II was slow, horribly over-complicated, and in the end a failure. But I still like to play it sometimes, I just know that I'm doing it for the character leveling mechanics now.

I never really felt challanged in Kotor II. There just wasn't any moment where I felt like I got the chance to use my abilities. There's a massive feat chain for using guns against lightsabres but all the lightsabre battles are in the last 20 minutes. The enemies where boring as well. It's Knights of the Old Republic, the whole point is that its the heyday of lightsabre combat where there are hordes of Sith and Jedi rather than just Emp. Palpy and his latest apprentice. A plot with tons of bladed weapon using assasins and only four live Jedi (including yourself) just sucked.

The most disapointing moment was when I realised that no matter how much I hated Visas I was never going to get a romance option with the Handmaiden.

Draga
2007-06-28, 03:27 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog.It was an OK game, but it had so much potential to be a great game.Plus.....WHAT IN THE SPHINCTER OF HELL HAPPENED TO VECTOR'S VOICE??????

Ronsian
2007-06-28, 05:30 PM
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. Need I say more?

idioscosmos
2007-06-28, 06:00 PM
The ending (and end boss) to "Lord of the Rings: The Third Age".

Worst. Game. Moment. Ever.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-06-28, 06:25 PM
Probably the moment of greatest despair I've felt in gaming is when I hit my first 70 in World of Warcraft and realized that this insurmountable peak that I'd forced myself to trudge through hundreds of hours of useless and woefully unbalanced gameplay, nigh non-existant plot, and dealing with players whos common sense borders on nil, was nothing to write home about.

Not only that, but I'd actually been funneling cash into the creation of this moment of utter mind-consuming horror. I thought of all the things I could have done with that time and money that would have actually given me some sort of fulfillment, and it shamed me greatly...

I know how you feel man. Except I found out this would happen at level 47 and 6 days of playing :smallfrown: WoW was very dissapointing for me, especially with the complete lack of plot.

And was I the only person who thought KOTOR 2 was almost as awesome as applesauce, and wasn't at all dissapointed with it? :smalleek:

Krytha
2007-06-28, 08:34 PM
Zelda:TP. This was the most disappointing game for me because I guess I just never expected anything of games before. But after being hyped up so much, it fell pretty short. I think about 1/3rd of the way through I got a nagging feeling that something was up, and then 2/3rds of the way through I started hoping I was wrong and when Ganondorf finally rolled around, all suspicions were confirmed. Double plus bad.

Jimp
2007-06-28, 09:48 PM
Two for me.
1. Final race in Need For Speed Undergound 2. Only way it could have been a worse climax against your rival would be if it was a ping pong game with katana for paddles.
2. About an hour ago in WoW. Done some serious work today. Gained almost 7 whole levels, seriously upgraded all my equipment and spells, worked up skills a lot. Then my net suddenly cut out. When it comes back I log on to see that my character was the same as he had been YESTERDAY. My heart sank :smalleek: The world sever I'm on is down, apparently, so I'm hoping that it is just some error since it's down. If not, I am very pissed.

Wojiz
2007-06-28, 09:51 PM
The Star Wars Galaxies NGE.

SWG has one of the most creative and effective profession systems (32 different classes! Skill points! Different types of experience!) that had been broken for, what, two years, and it was all finally coming together, the game was balancing out. The Combat Upgrade came, and it was bad. It wasn't game breaking, but it was bad. A lot of people left, but there was still an enormous community. I played, I was a musician, a doctor, a melee combatant, and I loved it. Even if it was one of the most difficult and complex and (admittedly) broken games on the market, I still loved it.

Then WoW came along.

And WoW brought with it popularity.

And when you get one game that's so incredibly popular, such a blockbuster, all other games are fated to become just like it. SWG was one of them. Basically, SOE broke the entire combat system and turned 32 professions into 9, and one of the professions was Jedi, which about 90% of players picked (Funny thing is, they're incredibly weak.) As a result, a game that was alive one day was turned dead overnight. People unsubscribed en masse, and I'd see cantinas full of people one day and empty for a month the next.

They turned this system which made characters so much more rewarding and customizable than a generic lvl 50 Warrior into a system with 9 classes, each one as 'iconic' as the last. If you wanted to be an entertainer, you started out as one and you'd be an entertainer through that whole character. What made SWG great, that your character could, at one point or another, do anything, was dead. Basically, they killed an entire community.

And the fact that they took this from us rather than not giving it in the first place made it all the more disappointing.

Vhaidara
2007-06-28, 09:52 PM
!: Any time, in any game, that you see the words "To be continued."

Cpt. Sqweky
2007-06-28, 10:35 PM
You mean the sad attempts to make fun of the lacking features?
Yeah, Oblivon is disappointing as a whole. Especially when you realize that MQ will be completely boring, unoriginal and linear.

Dude, I don't know what you are trying to say, but "Boring" and "unoriginal" aren't compliments. So you shouldn't use them with such an awesome game like Oblivion.

Oh, and uh, yeah. While the ending to KotOR 2 is very close to the top of my most disappointing gaming moments, I would have to say that number 1 is:

[dramatic pause]

[/dramatic pause]

Happened after I had been playing Diablo 2 for about six hours straight, and I realized that I absolutely, unequivocally, hated the game. And even then, I couldn't stop playing it.

Wojiz
2007-06-28, 10:44 PM
Dude, I don't know what you are trying to say, but "Boring" and "unoriginal" aren't compliments. So you shouldn't use them with such an awesome game like Oblivion.

Oh, and uh, yeah. While the ending to KotOR 2 is very close to the top of my most disappointing gaming moments, I would have to say that number 1 is:

[dramatic pause]

[/dramatic pause]

Happened after I had been playing Diablo 2 for about six hours straight, and I realized that I absolutely, unequivocally, hated the game. And even then, I couldn't stop playing it.

Go play some real PCRPGs, including the first Elder Scrolls games, then go play Oblivion and see if you appreciate it nearly as much.

Krytha
2007-06-29, 02:30 AM
Im still playing D2 as are numerous people on these boards. Although I'm sort of working for a clan in an admin role, so I have other reasons for playing than m4d 1337 lewtz.

Morty
2007-06-29, 05:23 AM

Except that Oblivion is boring and unoriginal. There are no plot twists in MQ, everything is completely predictable, stupid and boring. Non-MQ quests are only a tad better. Oblivon is quite fine for some time, after that I deleted it.

Drascin
2007-06-29, 05:34 AM
Except that Oblivion is boring and unoriginal. There are no plot twists in MQ, everything is completely predictable, stupid and boring. Non-MQ quests are only a tad better. Oblivon is quite fine for some time, after that I deleted it.

Pretty much my stance. There are a hell of a lot of quests, and a lot of people, which might give a sensation of freedom... but in the end, 95% of them were reduced to "get this item and bring it back, and/or bash this person/monsters in the face with your sword". The few that weren't like that felt much better, but there were waaay too few of them (the last mission in the Thieve's Guild comes to mind). Also, the level scaling gets extremly irritating. Seeing bandits with Daedric and Crystal armor sets, and feeling that a monstar takes exactly the same work to beat at level 2 and at level 22 is, at least for me, enough to kill any suspenson of disbelief and feeling of accomplishment I might have had.

It gets a lot better when you mod the hell out of it, of course, which is what I did. But I still felt it didn't deserve the space it was taking on my drive.

The Prince of Cats
2007-06-29, 05:57 AM
My second most disappointing moment was probably playing Morrowind and realising that the code contains stupid bugs. At one point, I ended up with an encumbrance issue where, even naked, I was carrying 99 (what? lbs? kgs?) and had to go to the official forum to look for help. The official word? "Yeah, that is a known bug. Just use the console to give yourself 1 soul gem then use the console to remove 100 soul gems from your inventory. That always seems to work."

The most disappointing was playing Morrowind and watching my game crash because my latest save-game was corrupt. No warning and the auto-save was from an hour previous. I had just hiked out from Ald-Ruhn to the Urshilaku Camp and off to the burial mound to crash... I hate that walk to the camp, damned cliff-racers everywhere...

I should have learned my lesson with NWN; I used to play that with just the one save-game file (due to the bloated size of those saves) and that corrupted once quite badly. I had to restart the game just before the 'big' fight at the end of chapter one...

Archonic Energy
2007-06-29, 06:09 AM
Master of Orion 3.

need i say more!

The Evil Thing
2007-06-29, 06:38 AM
Using the movie maker in The Movies for the first time. Clearly, people regard the ability to string a load of preset character interactions together and 'revolutionary', 'creative' and 'fun'.

I found the process tedious and restrictive. I lost interest in that feature within 5 minutes then the rest of the rather mediocre 'management' game in 30. What a waste of £30.

To think MS 3D Movie Maker was outperforming this game over 10 years ago. And it had about 5 props or so and about 15 actors.

JellyPooga
2007-06-29, 08:01 AM
The ending (and end boss) to "Lord of the Rings: The Third Age".

Worst. Game. Moment. Ever.

I wouldn't have said it was disapointing because the whole game lacked anything resembling a plot, but the end was a true "W...T...F?" moment.

I mean, 1)How the hell do they get there? 2)Why the hell are they there? 3)What the hell chance would they have vs. Sauron even if they were there? 4)Why, even if they did have a chance of fighting Sauron, are they trying to fight 'The Eye of Sauron', which isn't actually Sauron at all, but is rather a rather crap movie representation of a turn of phrase from the book?....breathe...Did anyone actually bother to beat it? If you did, what happens afterwards (I know Im never going to take the time or effort to beat it)?

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 08:06 AM
The ending was weird and totally unexplained, yeah, but it was a fun, if mindless, RPG experience. I had a long car trip once and played it co-op with my brother throughout the whole game, and it was great fun, even if the story was obviously lacking.

banjo1985
2007-06-29, 09:06 AM
My most disappointing game moment was just FFX-2 in general.

I can hear the developers conversation right now:

#1 - Hey FFX was popular and people liked it, so what shoul we do with the sequel?
#2 - I know lets get rid of all the playable characters except the two really annoying ones, and add a whiny emo woman in black to show she's a baddass.
#1 - Sounds good, but what about the combat engine? Our fans love the turn based stuff, and FFX was the best system yet.
#2 - Easy, we take all that crap out, shove in a horrible real time button basher that loses any sense of strategy and have the girls change into ever more revealing outfits to keep people entertained.
#1 - Won't the fans be pissed?
#2 - Maybe, but they'll want to know what happened to Tidus and Yuna and the rest after the end of 10, they'll lap it up.

Well I didn't. FFX-2 is an unplayable mess, and the most disappointing thing I've ever played.

Setra
2007-06-29, 09:12 AM
Insulting the story and characters is one thing, but personally I loved the combat system of FFX-II.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 09:16 AM
Insulting the story and characters is one thing, but personally I loved the combat system of FFX-II.

QFT. Combat was good, even if the characters weren't all that great and the story was blah.

Querzis
2007-06-29, 09:19 AM
Definitly Sonic heroes. I liked all the 2D sonic and Sonic adventure 1 and 2 were just plain awesome...but all these game were made by Sega. It was the first Sonic game Sonic team made all by themselves and we know the result, its not just bad, its an insult to the previous Sonic games, same thing for Shadow the hedgehog.

Ranis
2007-06-29, 09:28 AM
#1 - Sounds good, but what about the combat engine? Our fans love the turn based stuff, and FFX was the best system yet.

FFX's combat engine made me want to kick small puppies. Then pee on them.

banjo1985
2007-06-29, 09:37 AM
Sorry to ruffle some feathers, but I genuinely found it to be very very disappointing and the combat made me feel like someone had came into my house on Christmas day and peed all over my bed.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh but I honestly can't think of another time when I've been as disappointed as when I first played X-2

Skippy
2007-06-29, 09:41 AM
Final bosses for every Zelda so far, especially TP, and the final boss for Kingdom Hearts. Also, the Action Button for KH2...

Drascin
2007-06-29, 10:01 AM

/agree.

More like the worst combat system yet. Seriously, I got horribly, horribly bored with FFX. I didn't even finish it. And this comes from a person who hit level 300 in Disgaea before knowing you could up the enemies' levels. So yeah.

At least FFX-2, while stupid in a lot of points, entertained me more or less. I even accepted to train my cousin's Yuna voluntarily (I never bought the game - what I played from it was helping her). In contrast, I'd never pick one more fight than strictly necessary in FFX.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 10:01 AM
The ending was weird and totally unexplained, yeah, but it was a fun, if mindless, RPG experience. I had a long car trip once and played it co-op with my brother throughout the whole game, and it was great fun, even if the story was obviously lacking.

I hated FFX. You've got three good party members. That's it. Auron, Kimarhi, and Rikku. Everybody else is just annoying and not any good.
And Tidus...
Ooohoho... Tidus.
That lously little rat.
"Oh, I have daddy issues!" "I hate you daddy" "Damn my daddy!"
Every. Single. Minute.
Yes, you have father issues. They give you some kind of poor motivation.
That does not mean I have to hear about it so damn much!

Ahem. Anyway. I did like the combat system though, and The Third Age took that combat system, and gave me a plot I could happily ignore, because it wasn't constantly thrown in my face.
I do have complaint though with how often you would be pitted against waves of enemies without pause. I could do with the pause.

Final bosses for every Zelda so far, especially TP, and the final boss for Kingdom Hearts. Also, the Action Button for KH2...

I found the final boss quite fun actually. A nice take on the Giant Warship standard.
The Reaction System was also such a welcome addition. A lot of people complained about the mindless button mashing on the first game, and this one gave you the ability to do so much more in combat. The Reaction Commands really made your combat look stylish.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 10:12 AM
Yeah, the waves upon waves of enemies, a la Helm's Deep, felt rather epic but was wearing after a while.

doliemaster
2007-06-29, 10:32 AM
Lets see, one of the dissappointments that happens to me, alot, are the romantic subplots in RPGs, lets see-
FFX
What I want-Tidus Lulu
What they gave me-Tidus Yuna
Grandia 2,
What I want-Ryudo Millenia
What they gave me-Ryudo Elana
Although I just wanna say-
I LIKED Kotor 2, and don't know why people bash it.
I LIKED FFX's battle system and hated FFX-2's., FFX plot, and hated EVERYTHING about FFX-2, I mean 'Dress Spheres' where do they come up with this crap?

2007-06-29, 11:59 AM
I hated FFX. You've got three good party members. That's it. Auron, Kimarhi, and Rikku. Everybody else is just annoying and not any good.
And Tidus...
Ooohoho... Tidus.
That lously little rat.
"Oh, I have daddy issues!" "I hate you daddy" "Damn my daddy!"
Every. Single. Minute.
Yes, you have father issues. They give you some kind of poor motivation.
That does not mean I have to hear about it so damn much!

People rag on Tidus to much about him being whiny. Yeah, he was a bitch for most of the game, but look at what he did at the end. He knew if he killed Sin forever that he'd cease to exist. He did it anyway. That takes a fair amount of balls.

As for crappiest game moment? The end of Halo2. You're cruising along, finally thinking MC is gonna go back to earth and kick some ass, and then its over. You play as the friggen Arbiter last. WTF.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 12:31 PM
You'll have to excuse me, I didn't finish it. I know what happens, but I didn't.
In all of history, there have only been two video games I have not gone back to to try and finish: FFVII (No Aeris and dwindling excitement) and FFX for the above reasons.
Main characters with issues is okay the first time, but now they are old and used.
Killing Sin also involved killing his own father. They didn't have to do that. It wasn't all that important to the story. Tidus doesn't even forgive him.
They give him one character trait, and he keeps it, despite whatever may come. Despite what other characters may say, despite what almost the entire game tells you, Tidus will cling to this hatred of Jecht, when any good character development would have him forgiving his father in some way.
It sounds cliche, but it works. Just making a character hate their father when their father is actually world famous for being a nice guy is not a clever piece of work. It is stupid.

I'll give you a disappointing moment. Playing FFVII the first time.
I came to Final Fantasy through Kingdom Hearts. I was familiar with Final Fantasy before, I knew it was a turn based RPG series, pretty big, but I knew nothing of the characters or plots.
So I'm meeting all these Final Fantasy characters, and I get these impressions:
Leon (Squall): A little grumpy, but a kind person and good leader.
Cloud: Detached yet philosophical, with a clear sense of what he wants and how to get it.
Sephiroth: A stone silent warrior who exists only to do evil.

Then I played FFVII.
Maaaaan. Was that a kick in the arse.

Counterpower
2007-06-29, 12:33 PM
Absolutely. I hated the ending of Halo 2. What I hate is that with Halo 1, there was a definite sense of completion to the game. Alright, Halo's destroyed, we've finished our mission. With Halo 2, there was nothing of the sort.

And I liked TP. It wasn't perfect, but the final boss battles were fairly enjoyable. Certainly, the boss battles of the Zelda series on the whole weren't that disappointing IMHO.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 12:33 PM
Cloud: Detached yet philosophical, with a clear sense of what he wants and how to get it.

You really can't judge this unless you've beaten FF7. You didn't think that he magically started his adventure all wise, did you? That wouldn't make any sense. Cloud's character develops.

Belteshazzar
2007-06-29, 02:57 PM
After I got started to finally stop staring at the beautifully rendered world in Oblivion and realize that something was very, very wrong... Where were the high level enemies? Why is Kvatch still burning? Where is my levitation, what is telekinesis even good for anymore, it's not like anything is out of reach since they removed flight completely? Where the hell are these 'hordes' of Oblivion, on break with the Imperial 'LEGIONS'? What you mean no crossbows, spears, quarterstaves, throwing stars, or mounted combat. Where are my competent enemy spellcasters? What happened to Radiant AI. How did that trap not kill me? Why do the dark elves sound like fruits now? Where are all the people, isn't this the center of the Empire, how did they build a solid stone self contained city with 30 people? What happened to carefully crafted worlds, dungeons and NPCs. WHERE IS MY FAT LUTE?!

Dragor
2007-06-29, 03:11 PM
After I got started to finally stop staring at the beautifully rendered world in Oblivion and realize that something was very, very wrong... Where were the high level enemies? Why is Kvatch still burning? Where is my levitation, what is telekinesis even good for anymore, it's not like anything is out of reach since they removed flight completely? Where the hell are these 'hordes' of Oblivion, on break with the Imperial 'LEGIONS'? What you mean no crossbows, spears, quarterstaves, throwing stars, or mounted combat. Where are my competent enemy spellcasters? What happened to Radiant AI. How did that trap not kill me? Why do the dark elves sound like fruits now? Where are all the people, isn't this the center of the Empire, how did they build a solid stone self contained city with 30 people? What happened to carefully crafted worlds, dungeons and NPCs. WHERE IS MY FAT LUTE?!

Sorry, but yes.

Those are the things I didn't like about Oblivion compared to the previous games.

I still like Oblivion, and, thanks to the faithful Bethesda community, these problems are being ironed out. (Radiant AI returning in Mods, Kvatch Rebuilt Mod, Obscuro's Overhaul, etc etc etc.)

Most disappointing gaming moment for me would have to be when I realized there wasn't a chapter system for KOTOR, or KOTOR II. On the first time through, Taris/Peragus Mining Station are good fun. 3rd or 4th time? It starts getting VERY tedious indeed. Seriously, this may sound minor, but it's one of the main reasons I don't go back to them- because of the first part of the game.

Setra
2007-06-29, 04:36 PM
Tidus doesn't even forgive him.
They give him one character trait, and he keeps it, despite whatever may come. Despite what other characters may say, despite what almost the entire game tells you, Tidus will cling to this hatred of Jecht, when any good character development would have him forgiving his father in some way.

I would say.. this is incorrect. In the ending, I'd say Tidus has stopped hating him. This is judging from the high five or whatever it was in the end there.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-29, 04:56 PM
The game was great, but the end of KOTOR II had sopranos-esque open-endednes. It was madenning! plz make KOTOR III explain everything! :smallfrown:

Jerthanis
2007-06-29, 06:32 PM
!: Any time, in any game, that you see the words "To be continued."

Seriously... my biggest disappointment was when "To be continued" popped up at the end of XIII... because I knew they'd never be able to make a sequel to it, if for no other reason than that they'd have nothing to call it... "XIV" wouldn't make sense, and XIII:2 wouldn't sound right. Also, there wasn't enough plot left for another whole game, just enough for another 5-10 minutes of gameplay anyway. Giant letdown to a game with a great plot to have it be a cliffhanger ending with no sequel.

And I thought FFX's combat was the best combat system in any RPG that wasn't a Grandia game.

I also really liked MGS2, and really don't understand what people don't like so much about Raiden. He's a badass and everyone was so busy whining about not playing Snake that they couldn't be bothered to tell Raiden was actually kind of cool. Snake might've been cooler when all was said and done, but still... they never gave Raiden a chance, and so will constantly complain about Raiden being effeminate as if that described his character in the slightest. Also, the end wasn't that hard to understand (except for the part about the AI's origin story, being formed in the White house because it was like the primordial soup... I mean, WTF does that even mean?), and I thought it was pretty cool.

I also liked Kotor2 way more than Kotor1, though I admit it was flawed. Like superhero stories being better the longer they put off putting the hero in his costume, so too are jedi stories cooler the longer they put off inclusion of lightsabers. I will second Dragor's statements about Peragus station though... I really really enjoyed it my first time through, but I tried making a new character and going through again and while I got through Peragus, the second trip really took it out of me, and I ended up never finishing that run through. It's almost a fourth of the entire game! I felt like Taris was easy enough to breeze through a second time, skipping all the sidequests and so forth, but Peragus is a lot longer, and there really isn't much optional content there to skip.

Raven T.
2007-06-29, 07:40 PM
A few notes to those who have weighed in on KotOR II as their most disappointing moment:

First, in reference to the person who mentioned the Precise Shot feat with no saberwielders to use them on: this is NOT the height of the Order. Both Jedi and Sith have been extinguished by the Civil War, Scion's assassins, and Nihilius' insatiable hunger.

Secondly, I will admit the ending was WAY too open ended, but that told me that someday, somehow, there MUST be a finishing act. Many things need to be resolved, most specifically the Sith Empire.

I love the game itself. It flushed out a lot of the philosophy of the Universe and it had a slow, backstory driven game (don't believe me? actually READ some of the stuff you can get out of your allies/minions.)

I've been fortunate enough to be able to avoid a game that would disappoint me.

trollhammeren
2007-06-29, 08:07 PM
Black. Specifically from level 2 onwards. Amazing graphics and level 1 was a go-in-all-guns-blazing type level, which is great, and then it just slows down completely as level 2 is a badly done "stealth" level and it just never picks up the pace again.

And the rumor that God of War 3 is coming out the psp only.

And all of demon stone, the forgotten realms game.

And FF X:2.

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-30, 02:01 AM
In FFX when they defeated Sin/Jecht. I Wanted Sin to kill everyone and eat Spira. Hehe.:smallamused:

Beleriphon
2007-06-30, 03:02 PM
The most disapointing moment was when I realised that no matter how much I hated Visas I was never going to get a romance option with the Handmaiden.

Gwah? You can totally get a romance with the Handmaiden going.

TheOtherMC
2007-06-30, 03:33 PM
Gwah? You can totally get a romance with the Handmaiden going.

......Bow chika bow wow!!!

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-06-30, 03:58 PM
My biggest disappointment came from playing Homeworld 2. The original was a blast, Cataclysm was nice, but the things they did with the story... ugh. At least the ships were cool.

Next up is Deus Ex: Invisible War. The hopeful attitude of the game was nothing like the despair and depression of the original, and the game really lost something because of it. Also, nobody ever really betrays you, except for one person near the end who you sorta (not really) cared about. Everyone else trusts you- so it isn't like the original where it is a matter of who you trust most, it's a matter of who you trust least. That killed it.

Lastly is Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. The original game was a simulator, and it was highly realistic in that regard- but the sequel felt too much like a console arcade shooter, or like Wing Commander. Come on, you couldn't even shoot backwards like in the original game.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-01, 08:44 AM
i loved the game but i had a disappointing FF 8 moment. my friend totally scared me into how hard the end was so i maxed my characters out to an insane degree. I was actually sucking on purpose to get them to be a challenge for me.

zipnab
2007-07-01, 06:37 PM
I don't have a specific "most disappointing" moment to mention, but here are two of those:
A dialog at the end of BG2:ToB. What-ever-you-say, you cannot change the outcome. I know, there is a mod for changing this into getting much cooler, but I'm not going to play this game again in the near future.
Another thing is the subquests in FFX. You have alot of subquests to do, obtain shiny weapons and mighty Aeons. Then you get them, and the game ends. You don't really have the opportunity to use them. And that's not the end of it. I really wanted to obtain Anima. Thing is, you need to get all the hidden treasures from the temples. Obviously, I did not get them at first, so I had to return to these temples. Problem is, I was playing the European version. At this version, there are "dark Aeons" - optional super bosses. And two of them were blocking two of the temples. How the heck was I supposed to defeat them without Anima?! I had to get the Aeon you pay for his service, and pay him a darn lot of money for killing these two Aeons. Then, I got Anima, and never used him.
Oh, and the fact I waited for a great boss fight at the end of FFX, and then realized that I have already beaten it. Easily.
By the way, I'm a FFX fanboy, and think this game has the greatest plot ever.

And about FFVIII's final battle, I'll start with saying I hated the battle system all along. When I had random encounters I just ran away each time. I did not even bother getting the other GF's. At the final battle, I just used Holy War (AKA invincibility) and finished it. And think I could have never won without Holy War.
And I think its plot was not that great.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-01, 07:16 PM
i loved the game but i had a disappointing FF 8 moment. my friend totally scared me into how hard the end was so i maxed my characters out to an insane degree. I was actually sucking on purpose to get them to be a challenge for me.

I totally hated the "win button" we have to use to end this stupid game. Lionheart + Invincibility out of the Laguna Card..

And as for KotorII.. well, I don't know. I loved the game.. but I would have sinned my pants if they actually had finished the whole game! That's what enrage me the most, not the fact that is was a sub-par ending, but the fact that the whole freaking game could have been so much better, and that potential was TOTALLY waster, maybe ending the KOTOR live-line...

And yes, I do feel we have less interference on galactic-wide events.. our actions are not longer staking the future of the galaxy, but just.. this part, and this part..

It seems we are a big force, shaping things, in a limitless sea of peoples, army and governements. Where we get, we shape things, but there are just too many things in the universe to actually shape the galaxy.

Yhea, I'm somewhat bitter I haven't succeeded at destroying the republic..

Inigo_Carmine
2007-07-01, 08:27 PM
Re: Hating on Cloud, Squall/Leon, Tidus, etc.

Isn't that like a Japanese RPG staple though? (I see it a lot in Anime too, though not quite as often; biggest offender: Parn from Record of Lodoss War). The main character is completely horrendously annoying? They'll have some sort of heavy-handed character development by starting the character off as some whiny aloof jerk, and then suddenly at the end make him approach reasonable.

I always passed it off as these games being aimed at like the 8-12 year old audience in Japan, when such painfully large swings in personality are needed in order for a character to be seen as dynamic.

Wojiz
2007-07-01, 08:46 PM
Character development, especially in terms of emotions and maturity, is a critical part of the hero's journey. There has to be a call to adventure, a trial and the protagonist is enriched from the experience. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Matrix are all contemporary examples, and all classic literary fiction has it.

If you gave me any example of any great, classic science fiction, fantasy or even RPG, you could easily point out the characteristics of the hero's journey, and a hero's journey without a character that develops all and is cool the whole way through is just commercial fiction meant solely to entertain people who don't want to think; it's valuing amusement over plot.

Guancyto
2007-07-01, 09:08 PM
Regarding the lack of lightsaber-users in KotOR II:

Temple on Dxun. More Sith for Mira to gun down than you can shake a stick at!

Leper_Kahn
2007-07-01, 09:29 PM
I was playing a homebrew RPG and for some reason we had a very odd thing happen that lets us choose our own ending. One option was World of Warcraft.

It ended with us having to do the same quest for more loot.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-02, 02:19 AM
Regarding the lack of lightsaber-users in KotOR II:

Temple on Dxun. More Sith for Mira to gun down than you can shake a stick at!

That was my point.

The Sith are all massed at the end. The game has no united, public and active enemy like in the first one. You beat Dxun and save Onderon, then get rushed off to Dantooine, then Telos, then Malachor on a Dark Jedi killing spree. But for the previous 70% of the game you've been killing random bounty hunters with no sense of achieving anything. The only thing you can achieve in that 70% of the game is killed by Kreia. You're Epic before you got to Freedon Nadd's tomb on Dxun.

Lolzords
2007-07-02, 01:50 PM
I love Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War. It's among my top 10 games. But the campaign is so disappointing.

First off, you only get to play as the space marines, my least favourite race in the game. I only managed to play two levels and start the third before I was fed up with it. Secondly, the difficulty goes from easy to really hard. First mission is building a base and wandering around the map killing the ork camps, easy enough, since the orks only have infantry and never launch attacks on your base.

Second mission is sneaking around the map, then establishing a base, wiping three ork camps off the map, only one of which attacks your base. Again, they only have basic infantry.

Third mission. Oh boy.

The orks have taken over an entire city, there's Ork camps every 10 metres. And they go from basic to Ork Nobz, warbosses and tanks. Also, all the bases send out a party of Orks every 2 mins or so to attempt to gangrape you. In addition to the Imperial Guard you have to babysit and the civilians who get in the way it's really painful to play.

I hope if THQ make a Dawn of War 2, they'll have a storyline for the Space Marines, Chaos, Orks, Eldar and any other race they include.

Demented
2007-07-02, 03:43 PM
That's what the expansions are for. The Imperial Guard one, the Tau one, etc.
Not that I ever played them.

I didn't much mind the difficulty in the main game. Except for this one level where you're occasionally harassed by a massive ork warband, and there's an Eldar base that needs destroying... Practically built around a chokepoint. Ouch. Had to build and rebuild strike groups to finish them off. Painful.

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-02, 04:14 PM
Shenmue. Looked forward to it, got into the story, now, I'm one of the few I know who even remember the game.

Not a Paladin
2007-07-02, 05:06 PM
My biggest disappointment in a game: Final Fantasy XII.

I played it for a while, waiting for the moment where everything starts to get really interesting and you know you're going to see the game through to the very end.

Only here's the thing: it didn't happen. Instead, I got some nearly impossible normal enemies (why do game developers always assume that everyone is going to level up excessively between plot points?), a nonsensical story that quite obviously wasn't about to start telling you anything in the near future, and a character customization system that made very little sense and had no basis whatsoever in facts or even common sense. Does Square put all the suggestions they receive into a hat and randomly draw a few for each game or something (Quite frankly, that's the only explanation I can come up with for most of the features of FFXII)?

NOTE: I already know that FFXII's battle system was intended to be used in FFX. I'm also glad that they decided against that.

TheOtherMC
2007-07-03, 02:25 PM
Shenmue. Looked forward to it, got into the story, now, I'm one of the few I know who even remember the game.

God your not alone man. FInishing shenmue 2 was one of the most satisfying experiences for me....untill i realized there would be no shenmue 3....yeah pretty much crashed right then and there.

Big Bug Basher
2007-07-03, 06:38 PM
the most disapointing game moment? has to be the cutscene in wind waker where the giant bird just swoops in and beets you in one hit:smallfurious: ... does make for a more satisfying vitery when you beat him...

2007-07-03, 07:01 PM
I also never beat FFXII because after the fight with....er... one of the party member's father who like to make things... I had to go through a forest where the foes were like 15 levels higher than me and I didn't feel like running back and forth across the world killing random mobs to level up.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-04, 07:40 AM
When I was younger, there was a game called Ikari Warriors on the NES. Lots of fun, very hard not to die all the time. It had a cheat for extra lives, which was one of the least well-kept secrets of all time, so you could keep going indefinitely.

The trouble was, you get into the enemy base and there is a maze of pipes. If you were not careful, you would get stuck behind a pipe and that was it: no way to progress, game over. Even if you managed to avoid getting caught, there was this one respawn point that was behind a pipe. Die on that screen and you could never finish the game.

No matter how long I played it, I never got past that screen. They just ganged up on you and forced you into the dead-end...

SurlySeraph
2007-07-05, 01:33 AM
Most final boss battles. The first time I beat Baldur's Gate II, I didn't realize I'd won for a few seconds. I was trying to cast spells but I couldn't target the enemy and was thinking "Wait, does he have some kind of protection spell I don't know about? Damn, I'll... wait he's saying something... HE SAYS HE'S DYING?! BUT I DIDN'T EVEN USE METEOR SWARM YET!"

At least the cinematics at the end usually make up for it.

Eldpollard
2007-07-05, 07:52 AM
Legacy of Kain: Soul reaver. You complete the huge game, only to be rewarded with "to be continued."

Argent
2007-07-05, 01:40 PM
Black. Specifically from level 2 onwards. Amazing graphics and level 1 was a go-in-all-guns-blazing type level, which is great, and then it just slows down completely as level 2 is a badly done "stealth" level and it just never picks up the pace again.

And all of demon stone, the forgotten realms game.

Urgh. I'd forgotten about Demon Stone. That was a huge waste of time and money. If nothing else, that game at least taught me to read reviews before I buy a game.

And I'm with you on Black -- game started out fun but after gunning down your nine-millionth bad guy, you just start to get bored. I never thought a combat-heavy FPS could be boring, but it was. It was like the video game equivalent of Showgirls.

Stormzen
2007-07-06, 01:13 AM
It's not the most disappointing moment, but the end of Command and Conquer:Renegade just sucked. The last boss was hard, and I was rewarded with a cinematic of Havoc leaving in a car with the general saying "Job well done." or something stupid like that, and then the credits roll. No explosions or nothing. I expected more from an FPS...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-06, 03:17 AM
It's not the most disappointing moment, but the end of Command and Conquer:Renegade just sucked. The last boss was hard, and I was rewarded with a cinematic of Havoc leaving in a car with the general saying "Job well done." or something stupid like that, and then the credits roll. No explosions or nothing. I expected more from an FPS...

Like what? A giant piece of texturing stuck to a wall that fires monsters at you, followed by a roll of text?

Jean d'Eath
2007-07-06, 04:25 AM
lionheart... aww man the first previews seemed great... the reviews were average... playing the game myself was absolutely disappointing...

Archonic Energy
2007-07-06, 04:41 AM
Like what? A giant piece of texturing stuck to a wall that fires monsters at you, followed by a roll of text?

heh... :smallamused:

funny.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-06, 05:15 AM
Eragon...

I suppose the film was a disappointment, so it is fitting that the game was also awful...

Charity
2007-07-06, 05:26 AM
Master of Orion 3.

need i say more!

I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain.

seras1672
2007-07-12, 11:43 PM
The worst video game moment: the scene after beating albeto in Xenosaga 2. I don't know if any here has played it, but albeto being taken up to heaven by his freaky realian was corny.

Second Worst: Neverwinter nights. All that work for nothing.....

Winterwind
2007-07-13, 09:14 AM
I'd say the biggest disappointment for me was Red Alert.

I loved Command&Conquer: Tiberium Dawn. Seriously. So when Red Alert came out I got it instantly.
Only to find:
- pretty much the units and buildings, hardly any innovation
- severly inferior music as compared to Tiberium Dawn (where I considered the music one of the strongest points of the game)
- horribly unbalanced factions. Basically, the Allies had nothing, the Soviets everything. As soon as I realised I could beat the entire campaign with the Soviets just by placing a few Teslas as base defense and then get myself a large air strike force every single mission, I gave up on the game (and the entire franchise, actually. Blizzard RTS games are so very superior anyway...).

Lenlalron
2007-07-13, 09:52 AM
FFXII. I had played like...10 hours, and it felt like there was 30 seconds of character development, or something. I think I got spoiled on Tales of the Abyss (and the Tales Series in general, which has heavy character development).

FFXI got me too, because the whole "two jobs" thing was, in my mind, a lot of customization options. Instead, it was the reverse- there were so few legitimate combos, that you were pigeonholed into them.

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-13, 10:05 AM
The "good" ending to NWN2.

And I second Lionheart. I had such high hopes for that game.

Hoggy
2007-07-13, 10:13 AM
I bought Dawn of War: Dark Crusade a few days ago.

Necrons.

The cheapissitude... the cheapissitude...

Jibar
2007-07-13, 10:21 AM
I love Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War. It's among my top 10 games. But the campaign is so disappointing.

I hope if THQ make a Dawn of War 2, they'll have a storyline for the Space Marines, Chaos, Orks, Eldar and any other race they include.

Really, you found that hard?
Dawn of War was one of the first games were I didn't lose in the main campaign.
Seriously, I had a couple hits and misses where things happened that I didn't expect, but I always bounced right back and obliterated the alien scum.
Oh yeah... I'm a Space Marine fan, and I rock with them.
That could be why you found it hard.

Advance Strat..
2007-07-13, 12:03 PM

Yes i know this was back a bit, so forgive me if someone answered this.

How the heck did you NOT get a Handmaiden romance? I managed to get it every time I played through it. If it helps at all I did light side, and I'm sure it would be harder to with dark side, but I've never tried the game with the dark path so don't quote me there.

Meshakhad
2007-07-13, 10:04 PM
I've had disappointing game moments. Not from finding out that a game isn't all it's cracked up to be - that takes time - but as parts of the game.

Recent ones include:
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
- When I first activated a Monolith, I thought that it would be an uberpwnage superunit like the Imperial Guard Baneblade. However, it was so friggin slow that it couldn't be used like that. The game still rocks.

Command & Conquer 3
- When it started crashing to desktop on my laptop after 5 minutes. The worst came when I tried a fix that did nothing. I'm hoping that as this seems to be a common problem with Vista, EA will do a patch to clear it up.

EVE Online
- Trying out a couple new ship types - specifically destroyers and stealth bombers.
- Every pvp op I've been on save one was a disappointment, because only once was there significant combat. Still, I've learned to prepare for that possibility.

Just for you, THQ made two expansions.

In Winter Assault, there are two campaigns (neither of which I have played beyond the second mission). One, the "Order" campaign, shifts between the Imperial Guard and Eldar. The "Disorder" campaign shifts between the Orks and Chaos.

In Dark Crusade, the campaign is a Risk-style conquer-the-world - with seven factions (Space Marines, Chaos, Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, and Tau). It comes at the cost of an intricate storyline - it's a simple war for dominance of a planet. But it's still fun.

I have one hint: Necrons ftw.

Alex Knight
2007-07-13, 11:29 PM
The missing 2nd half of the plot for FF XII is probably my biggest peeve.

And I have to say, I enjoyed FF X and FF X-2, so ;P

Icewalker
2007-07-14, 02:40 AM
Can't think of many hugely disappointing moments in my gaming.

Lets see.

Dark Cloud 2, boss in the mountains, fat monster thing. I'm ready for another boss. Whip out the laser pistol that I got a little while back, almost completely nonupgraded, blast him once, he's at about 2/3 hp. The gun fire speed is perfectly normal, bout a second, and the guy lumbers forwards slowly. zap, zap, dies. :smallannoyed:

Hmmmmm...what else.

Starcraft, Brood Wars. Late Zerg campaign...YOU HAVE TO KILL FENIX! GOD DAMNIT! NO! NOOOOOO! I still can't believe they make you kill the coolest character in the game (sob).

That's all I can really think of.

AslanCross
2007-07-14, 02:58 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics: ending. You spend so much time building up an awesome party, then in the end, well--boom.

Demented
2007-07-14, 03:23 AM
Unreal 2.
Oh, I'm sorry... Unreal (But Not Really) 2 (Really Not Really): The Awakening (What?)

Half-Life 2. The ending. And the weapons.

Unreal Tournament 2003. Abbreviated properly as UT2krap3.

Riven. You've saved the Moiety, and yourself. Everything else in this world dies. Even the weird seal things and the brass-colored beetles.

WhatIsGravity
2007-07-14, 04:21 AM
I don't suppose it was a good idea to wander in here without first completing the games I have. :smalleek:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-14, 06:52 AM
Yes i know this was back a bit, so forgive me if someone answered this.

How the heck did you NOT get a Handmaiden romance? I managed to get it every time I played through it. If it helps at all I did light side, and I'm sure it would be harder to with dark side, but I've never tried the game with the dark path so don't quote me there.

You get more of a conclusion with Visas. There isn't actually a Handmaiden romance option in the game, just a few flirtations in the dialogue.

Namaste123
2007-07-14, 12:56 PM
My biggest disappointment in a game: Final Fantasy XII.

I played it for a while, waiting for the moment where everything starts to get really interesting and you know you're going to see the game through to the very end.

Only here's the thing: it didn't happen. Instead, I got some nearly impossible normal enemies (why do game developers always assume that everyone is going to level up excessively between plot points?), a nonsensical story that quite obviously wasn't about to start telling you anything in the near future, and a character customization system that made very little sense and had no basis whatsoever in facts or even common sense. Does Square put all the suggestions they receive into a hat and randomly draw a few for each game or something (Quite frankly, that's the only explanation I can come up with for most of the features of FFXII)?

NOTE: I already know that FFXII's battle system was intended to be used in FFX. I'm also glad that they decided against that.

I agree completely, I pre-ordered the collectors edition, I was PUMPED, ready for another epic storyline, like FFX, and we get this steaming pile of crap, also known as FFXII, and the battle system was just bad. I think that Enix is killing the Final Fantasy series, I mean look at what they have come out with, FFX-2, that sucked, and FFXII, which again sucked.

Overelemental
2007-07-14, 01:10 PM
NGE

When the Star Wars Galaxies got "improved" by the new game enhancements. The CUrb was bad enough, but the NGE redefined suckiness in the gaming industry. Never again SOE, no more money from me :)

Khantalas
2007-07-14, 01:26 PM
Command & Conquer 3
- When it started crashing to desktop on my laptop after 5 minutes. The worst came when I tried a fix that did nothing. I'm hoping that as this seems to be a common problem with Vista, EA will do a patch to clear it up.

So, I'm not the only one getting this.

Assaulting Temple Prime, got past the first wall with snipers all around and a team of Mammoths and Juggernauts ready. Assault begins... and the desktop.

It was very, very annoying. I deserve a patch.

Advance Strat..
2007-07-15, 01:11 PM
You get more of a conclusion with Visas. There isn't actually a Handmaiden romance option in the game, just a few flirtations in the dialogue.

Well from what I've looked up about the stuff that was cut out (but was still on the disk for whatever reason) It looks like there is supposed to be a confrontation with the two of them (or atton and disciple) about that, and ending depending on amount of influence, and maybe alignment. A shame that got cut out, that woulda been nice to see.

Meshakhad
2007-07-15, 07:35 PM
So, I'm not the only one getting this.

Assaulting Temple Prime, got past the first wall with snipers all around and a team of Mammoths and Juggernauts ready. Assault begins... and the desktop.

It was very, very annoying. I deserve a patch.

Actually, it was more like 10 minutes, now that I think about it. If I was fast, I might be able to tank rush an enemy and win before I crash to desktop...

That said, I have played it on my (XP) desktop, and I can say for certain that it is awesome.

Also, it seems this is a common problem, so I'm hoping that EA does a patch.

hanzo66
2007-07-18, 08:30 PM
And the rumor that God of War 3 is coming out the psp only.

If you mean God of War: Chains of Olympus, that's not God of War III. That's a prequel to the first game.

It talks about the ten years of servitude to the gods that Kratos spends after killing his family.

Dragor
2007-07-19, 08:32 AM
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.

So much promise. A brilliant introductory cutscene. Set me right up for the Warhammer mood and-

What..... what IS THIS?

Seriously. That game pissed on the license it was given.

Toric
2007-07-19, 02:33 PM
My most disappointing game moment: Losing my three favorite and thus most powerful party members starting at the end of Disk 1 and ending shortly into Disk 2 of Final Fantasy VII and having the designated party leader changed to the one character I never bothered to use (Cid). No party/materia combination I could come up with given what I had (after all, my most leveled materia was on the big 3 that left) could offset the sudden, huge nerfing my party had suffered. I died every two out of three encounters just outside the town I lost member 3, when before I had only moderate difficulty. I could have climbed out of the hole, but I didn't. I abandoned that save file, and didn't touch the game for a year. To this day I have never again gotten past Disk 1, though if I did I'd be prepared to keep this from happening again.

Jibar
2007-07-19, 02:48 PM
This is a pre-emptive one.
Assassin's Creed.
For two reasons.
1. Ubisoft failing me. They're promising a lot with this game. An awful lot. "If it stick's out more than two inches you can interact with it." My biggest concern is that they won't do it. They said right from the get go when the first videos showed up that Altiar wouldn't be able to take many blows, yet in one of the E3 videos he takes at least 6 strikes from a sword.
2. The HUD. Unimportant, but one thing that really built this anticipation was the presentation. Taking away the mini-map, the health bar, the little tips really built up realism and gave the thing a very cinematic quality. The first shot of the HUD has been seen in an E3 video... and it has all of that. A health bar, actions, minimap. Plus there are the shiny white bits that signal current targets that really bug me.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that it turns out okay, but I'm having serious doubts.

Actana
2007-07-20, 03:27 AM
This is a pre-emptive one.
Assassin's Creed.
For two reasons.
1. Ubisoft failing me. They're promising a lot with this game. An awful lot. "If it stick's out more than two inches you can interact with it." My biggest concern is that they won't do it. They said right from the get go when the first videos showed up that Altiar wouldn't be able to take many blows, yet in one of the E3 videos he takes at least 6 strikes from a sword.
2. The HUD. Unimportant, but one thing that really built this anticipation was the presentation. Taking away the mini-map, the health bar, the little tips really built up realism and gave the thing a very cinematic quality. The first shot of the HUD has been seen in an E3 video... and it has all of that. A health bar, actions, minimap. Plus there are the shiny white bits that signal current targets that really bug me.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that it turns out okay, but I'm having serious doubts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have seen another E3 vidoe, but Altair takes only 1 hit in it, he blocks the rest. And for the mini-map and such, I didn't see them. I've probably got the wrong video. *Shrug*

Jibar
2007-07-20, 03:39 AM
Here's the video. (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21779.html)

This interview also shows some more screens. (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22380.html)

Scudboy
2007-07-20, 07:26 AM
Old-school gaming disappointment:

The ending of INFIDEL (Infocom game). Spoilered for those who haven't played this old-timey text adventure
So at the end, no matter what you do, after you've solved all the game's puzzles, you end up dead. I can see why they did it, and it's certainly well-foreshadowed, but still. It would irritate me less if there was some way to give up on the whole thing early, even if that ending wound up with you flipping burgers somewhere or something.

wojonatior
2007-07-20, 12:27 PM
at the the end of hitman blood money when they kill number 47 and diana changes sides:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

terror_drone
2007-07-20, 01:01 PM
Then you haven't finished the game true ending in spoilers

At the end Diana gives you the fake death drug you used earlier in the hospital mission, so at the funeral she can and will give you the antidote where you then wake up and kill pretty much everything in the area.

wojonatior
2007-07-20, 01:03 PM
oh that explains a lot but they still destroyed the agency

Tekraen
2007-07-20, 01:29 PM
oh that explains a lot but they still destroyed the agency

The actual ending clears that up somewhat. Can't wait for the next installment now.

There are more pastries to be poisoned in that game than I've ever seen.

Griemont
2007-07-20, 03:05 PM

Doom 2, right? :smallconfused:

I have to say the ending of Jak and Daxter. I got a PS2 (and J&D came with it) when it first came out, and my brother and I spent hours playing it. Then you get to the end and you have to collect every power cell in the game to do it. Sure, why not? But at the end, the only thing you get is an interminable sequence of power cells shooting out of Jak's crotch (:smalleek:) and "The ZOMG awesome door!" opens...and all you see is whiteness. The characters comment on it's beauty, but you can't see it, and then the game just ends. I couldn't believe such a great game could have such a terrible ending, and to make matters worse, I spent even more hours collecting every single item in the game in hopes of finding the real ending...but nothing. :smallmad:

Deepblue706
2007-07-20, 03:46 PM
Hmm...

- It was a major disappointment to find that in Diablo II, every single act of the game was just a town and then lots of stupid things to kill. I didn't play the first one, so I can't compare it - but I was told this was a good game. Quite horrible, if you ask me.

- Just about everything that happened after the openning scene of FFXII was a disappointment. That was actually how I felt about FFX, too (I HATE Wakka). Well, and FFIX, as well (I lost interest just after the kidnapping). I was also disappointed how they actually made a FFX-2 :smallannoyed:

- Final Fantasy Tactics...I was greatly disappointed about Zalbag!!!!!!! :smallfrown:

- Silent Hill 3...Poor Harry. Also, both real endings suck. I prefered "Revenge".

- Resident Evil: Code Veronica: That whole game was a disappointment. If it didn't have Wesker, I'd just call it a flop.

- Resident Evil 4: While very entertaining, some parts of it were just a little too ridiculous. As in, running up walls and doing back-flips, in slow motion, in the laser-room. For a brief moment, I was thinking "Wow, that was so dumb." Thankfully, the game seemed to sympathize, and distracted me with more awesomeness moments later.

- Resident Evil: Survivor...this shouldn't exist. I hope all remaining copies have been burned.

- Metal Gear Solid 3: WTF was with the bosses? Especially, "The Pain"! The bosses in other games were ridiculous enough, but...but...

"TOMMYGUN!"

Also, you could literally get head-wounds, and they did the same damage as a shot anywhere else, because Big Boss has a super thick skull, or something. Also, he seemed to lack vital organs. I wonder if he's immune to sneak attack damage...

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-20, 06:16 PM
- Final Fantasy Tactics...I was greatly disappointed about Zalbag!!!!!!! :smallfrown:

Heh. How about when you get Orlandu, and the game becomes ridiculously easy?

I guess you could just not use him, but I don't have that kind of self-control.

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-20, 07:37 PM
Off the top of my head, I just hate how short Half Life 2: Episode One is. While I know it's supposed to be a short game, and I was prepared for an abrupt ending, I found it so exciting that I needed it to continue...

Oh yes, and I thought that Far Cry had a bit of a damp squib of a finale too. Some great moments near the end, but the final "boss" was just a normal enemy. Refreshing and satisfying in a way, but I still expected something truly special.

If either Bioshock or Fallout 3 turn out to suck, then they'll rank pretty high on my personal list too. (I already have the Bioshock t-shirt, so I reeeeally hope the game turns out to be fantastic).

Jibar
2007-07-21, 09:16 AM
I spent even more hours collecting every single item in the game in hopes of finding the real ending...but nothing. :smallmad:

These days I can actually complete Jak and Daxter, with all items, in about a week of on/off playing. That's about an hour, maybe two a day a day.
Jak II did not disappoint with that gate though.

Jerthanis
2007-07-23, 10:24 AM
- Metal Gear Solid 3: WTF was with the bosses? Especially, "The Pain"! The bosses in other games were ridiculous enough, but...but...

"TOMMYGUN!"

Also, you could literally get head-wounds, and they did the same damage as a shot anywhere else, because Big Boss has a super thick skull, or something. Also, he seemed to lack vital organs. I wonder if he's immune to sneak attack damage...

Seriously... My only explanation of the entire MGS franchise past MGS1 is that Hideo Kojima hates making the games, and hopes that each game kills off all interest in the franchise so he can stop making them. He tried switching perspectives from Snake to Raiden and people still clamored for more, he then made MGS3 which was like a parody of itself and threw everything at making it as stupid and nonsensical as possible, trying to top MGS2 for nonsense humor. (and then throwing in a random ultra-dramatic scene with Boss at the end)

At least MGS4 will actually be his last one, so he can stop trying to murder his own franchise and failing.

For a scale of power, against the final boss, my characters surrounded it and thwacked away, and for some reason I chose "Lightning Stab" as Orlandu, killing all of my other characters in one blow... but Orlandu was able to take out the end boss solo before anyone died. I never switched Orlandu's job class or gave him anything he didn't already have when I got him other than experience.

2007-07-23, 01:04 PM
If either Bioshock or Fallout 3 turn out to suck, then they'll rank pretty high on my personal list too. (I already have the Bioshock t-shirt, so I reeeeally hope the game turns out to be fantastic).

Don't jinx Bioshock!

Vonriel
2007-07-23, 01:10 PM

I'd like to point out that my Orlandu has actually died several times. :smalltongue: I would use him solo in the random fights, whenever I really wasn't trying to get into them for some reason. Some of those fights are almost too hard.

Hawriel
2007-07-27, 01:40 AM
Kotor 2 that was really disapointing the plot fizzled faster than a japanies RPG.

the death star missions from X wing allience. I hated it. after all that time developing a character I wanted to play him for the second death star battle. instead it through me in the falcon for a way to easy tie fighter grind. the actual death star run was ok though.

oh and the star distroyers had 1 kilomiter antie weapon field around them. you cant fire your weapons with in the field oh god that was frustrating. espesialy sence they connected the to hanger bays with a tunnel. only way to kill a SD was to get in close and strafe the gun turrests and shield generators. couldnt do it here.

Swordguy
2007-07-27, 01:49 AM
The realization that the entirety of the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K universe, all the characters, and descriptions, and artwork, was simply a ruse to get people into buying miniatures that could be invalidated as quickly as possible, which forced one into buying yet more miniatures.

Boo.

Hawriel
2007-07-27, 02:34 AM
yeah GW always came out with the next edition right after or befor the last army book came out in storse.

edit for spelling.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-07-27, 09:10 AM
The entire time playing FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus from beginning to end. I want my 50 bucks and 8 hours back please...

Tekraen
2007-07-27, 09:45 AM
Spy Hunter. The original, for NES.

I actually 'beat' the game at one point, when I played it for so long and destroyed so many helicopters that it crashed the game and soft reset.

I'm also going to say the ending of the 7th Saga. The game's a PITA enough with the incessant grinding so you can move to the next town, but to be sent back in time ten thousand years just to kill a guy that one-shots you in the end, then you're reborn as the guy the bad guy ultimately kills at the start of the whole blasted thing.

What a waste.

LoopyZebra
2007-07-27, 01:27 PM
Kotor II. Not the ending that everyone complains about, but that the Basilisk ride was way too short. And not a minigame. Grumble.

TheOtherMC
2007-07-27, 01:46 PM
Kotor II. Not the ending that everyone complains about, but that the Basilisk ride was way too short. And not a minigame. Grumble.

i KNO\. after all that hype over how awesome the basalisk ride is from Ordo/Mandalore!

Rinquist
2007-07-27, 04:06 PM
Guh, I was my own undoing. I was going for that "7 Day Survivor" achievement in Dead Rising, my 360 had been running for almost 3 days (trying to get that achievement during the workweek is a bad idea, by the way), it was finally Friday night, so I went and loaded up on beer and microwave taquitos.

My roommate and I hunkered down and prepared for the final 30 hours or so I needed before completion, we were both about 6 beers deep when I was mere minutes away from getting that stupid achievement and that stupid laser sword when my roommate decides that he needed taquitos so urgently that it required him to leap off the couch and sprint for the kitchen, so he does, he jumped from the couch with such exuberance that he didn't watch where he was running, and ended up tripping over the 360's power cord, landing face first on our beerstained carpet. Of course my Xbox came unplugged, I nearly choked on the last sip of beer from my now empty bottle.

I just stared blankly at my television screen at first, and I could tell that my buddy already knew what he had done, as he kept his face buried in the ground and muttered a muffled, "Oh crap dude, I'm sorry".

I silently reached over into the cooler, and pulled out another beer and said, "Dude, now you gotta make ME some taquitos too."

I haven't made another attempt since that day. These days when I load up Dead Rising, I usually just go on a frying pan spree for a few hours.

Thrawn183
2007-07-29, 08:16 AM
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne ending. When I saw the in game graphics for the ending, is just went, "Oh no, I did NOT just spend 2:05 beating this final mission for this crap." Then I saw the cinmatic ending that came after and all was good again. But for just a bit there... *shudder*

Timberwolf
2007-07-30, 07:46 AM
Playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I badgered my parents for this ?????

Also Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Undrentide, sorry, didn't like it. Thought hey, NWN add on, cool and was extremely disappointed.

Also FFX and X2

Hoggy
2007-07-30, 08:35 AM
Just finished my first campaign on DoC:DC, as my beloved 'Marines. Ending was good, but the bit at the very end,

Where it shows the planet Kronus with explosions, then zooms out to show a few more, and then fades out and comes up with 2007... NEWSFLASH, RELIC: IT IS 2007 ALREADY AND I WANT MY NEW GAME NOW! :smallfurious:

Done.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-30, 11:31 AM
Hands down? The ending of KotOR II. Horrible. I know it was rushed ....

Yet there is still hope for this game. Team Gizka is working on the game restoration project (http://www.team-gizka.org/) which should fix the ending and give the option of multiple endings, various ways to be responsible for the deaths of all your party members, a whole new group of people who want to kill you, several ways to murder Visas , the long-lost HK Droid Factory .....

talsine
2007-07-30, 12:21 PM
Fallout 3 is a disapointment, as has everything with "Fallout" on it since 2. (i'm looking at you Tactics...) And the Shadowrun game, VIsta exclusive and it sux, having nothing to do with the table top game? WTF!

Axis an Allies, when the japanese took over the world. (its a board game, my friend plays it way too much and can beat me no matter what he plays. I hate him)

tannish2
2007-07-30, 06:59 PM

ugh i know, the best way to do it is to play 10 minutes of one of the first 2, then play oblivion, all the way through, then start playing backwards, so that your mildly dissapointed with the combat not extremely dissapointed with everything else, still a good game, but doesnt hold a 1 point light spell to any of the others, thats why if you havent played any eldere scrolls games you play oblivion FIRST, then you play backwards (the only problem now is getting my broken daggerfall disk to work) then when you play morrowind you are familiar with the system, the combat is slightly dissapointing, but you get the hang of the game very fast, and your amazed by the huge shiny dungeons the details, and the general bigness of the game

as do i, or we could just link to it and laufg at/feel sorry for them.... or tr to save them.... but then ide remember the month i spent playing it *shudders* i cant eat soup anymore, because i have the urge to drown myself in it for such massive stupidity

and just think, never another moment like that cutscene again... now that blizzard is owned by a 200 year old french water company and alltheir good people left, though i think 1 of them came back for SC2, my biggest dissapointment in gaming wasnt while playing a game, it was when i heard a french water company bought blizzard, i have nothing against french people, other than the fact that they are both french and people, but ancient crap from real life and water... dont try and mix em with video games, ever tried shooting your computer with an antique gun? doesnt play well does it? ever tried taking your game boy underwater? ya, thought so, it was the most durable system ever, but ever tried taking your DS under? or even just getting a wireless controller for a console and taking it under with the TV on the edge?? doesnt work as well does it?

o then theres the time i reached level 12 in WoW.... god that sucked i thought it would get faster late game,.... but casting times get longer and the HP to damage ratio stats to get even farther from wherre it should be... o and theres the time when i got my second PSP(i thought "maybe the first 2 were just lemons" by number 5 i realized i was wrong, and that sony had finally crossed the line, and coincidentally, the local game stores stopped offering warrantys on consoles).... and the one when i got my 5th PS2 and the one where i found out that theres a castlevania game that will only be released for PSP... THATS JUST ****ED UP KONAMI, RELEASE IT FOR A REAL SYSTEM

Arameus
2007-07-31, 11:59 AM
At first, I was going to write about FFVIII. But then I thought, "I was more disappointed with FFIX, but- Hey, Advent Children! Not a game, but it's the biggest slap to the face I- *gasp*!"

Then I remembered. The most disappointing day in video game history for me was the day I realized that Tetsuya Nomura had murdered Square Co., Ltd.

He's like Jenova. Scratch that, he is Jenova. He ingressed smoothly, a promising talent with bold new ideas about the series. And it was good. Great, even. Truth be told, FFVII is my favorite game ever! Then his virus slowly but certainly began sucking all the life out of Square. There have been ups and downs since then, but the overall trend is a nosedive.

So what's the virus? Continuity. No pre-Nomura Final Fantasy had continuity. There were a few references, some mainstay creatures, maybe an in-joke or two like Biggs and Wedge. VII didn't have any, as it was Nomura's first step. But things slowly began happening in VIII. Squall certainly was mightily reminiscent of another certain angsty, spike-headed hero, but a cheap, watered-down version. Granted, certain riffs and melodies are mainstays in the series, but my musician's ear could tell again and again that some of VIII's lines were just plain rips-off from its immediate predecessor. A crowning touch is when you fight the aptly-named Ultima Weapon, a creature that clutches Cloud's version of this sword of the same name.

Then IX hit, and Pandemonium broke out, no pun intended. I can't even begin to list all the references, nods, stealing, and switcharounds that went on in this game. There are guides solely to explain all the references, and they stretch for pages and pages and pages! References to EVERY past FF, I believe, to several other games (Resident Evil, Ogre Battle), Star Wars, Star Trek, it goes on. It can really all be summed in one line: "Let no cloud nor squall drive us apart!" Cute. Sickening.

Then came X. Few enough references. A PuPu here, an Onion Knight there... It was quiet.... TOO quiet... *BAM!* For the first time in the history of the Final Fantasy main canon, there was a true and honest sequel. A great chance to do something great and unprecedented that might revitalize a staling franchise! Fans the world over held their breath... and it sucked. Hard. This game was an insult. By the time I was done, I was ready to swear off the series forever. But it gets worse. I won't go into details for spoiler purposes, but FFX-2 contained a number of parallels to FFVII that went beyond mere references which made up a large part of the plot. A character named Shinra, talk of life energy, a machine that converts it to power? All my worst fears were soon realized, and have been confirmed by Nomura himself: Final Fantasy VII is, retroactively, a sequel to Final Fantasy X-2. God kill me now.

And then the finishing blow to the franchise. For ten years, a whole decade, fans had been clamoring, even demanding, a sequel to a certain FF. It wasn't VI, or VIII, and certainly not X. FFVII has always made, and still does make, fans beg for a true sequel. Square had always teased us in the past with cameos, references, and the colossal letdown that was the PS3 tech demo. But then we were promised a sequel, at last! Only it wasn't a game, it was an action movie. *slap!* Okay, I'll bite. I'll wait. When does it come out? Summer of WHAT year?! *slap!* What do you mean, "It's been delayed?!" *slap!* But we stuck through it. Die-hards like me were literally expectorating for months before its release, even with the knowledge that it was supposed to be a half-hour long, but had 'magically' been made feature length. And when it finally came, when I finally got to see it, when the shock and awe of getting what I had wanted for ten years began to fade, I could only watch in stunned silence as this edifice to cinematic mediocrity, this cheese bonanza, this sacrilege was all with which I was rewarded.

And as the credits rolled, I could see those horrible words mocking me. Director: Tetsuya Nomura.

Of course there's more. But I've gone on too long already. The 'Compilation' off FFVII, the recent developments of the main canon, the pain of seeing my most favorite series die in my arms. But what gets me most is that so few people, even die-hards, even people who can see clearly as daylight the fall from grace have any idea just who is behind all this. I only hope that one day I get to KILL Tetsuya Nomura in the name of that which he killed.

And that is my most disappointing moment in gaming.

Istari
2007-07-31, 12:32 PM
For all you oblivion haters there are mods to change some of that stuff.

...Eh?
2007-07-31, 01:15 PM
o then theres the time i reached level 12 in WoW.... god that sucked i thought it would get faster late game,.... but casting times get longer and the HP to damage ratio stats to get even farther from wherre it should be...

Level twelve isn't late game at all. It's not even mid game, or a quater way through the game. And if you killed stuff faster than you did at levels 1-10, the entire game would be nothing but 1HKOs. How many games do you have that get easier as you get farther in?

Belteshazzar
2007-07-31, 03:06 PM
For all you oblivion haters there are mods to change some of that stuff.

Mods only work for the computer of course. All us boxies might as well be shoved over a cliff and left to rot. The 360 is nigh uncrackable and thats how Microsoft plans for it to stay.

Arang
2007-07-31, 04:39 PM
How many games do you have that get easier as you get farther in?

D&D.

Failing that, many many many games break the level curve at some point.

My most disappointing game moment was the end of Dreamfall. Got all the way, solved all the puzzles (I'm not much of a puzzler, so they were actually quite hard for me), I was really into the characters and everything, and then, as I sat there in the last few minutes of the game, it hit me that it was over now. Completely out of the blue. It was a sad, weird feeling.

jamroar
2007-07-31, 05:32 PM
The twist in Ultima IX where you finally get to confront your nemesis the Guardian only to find that he is invincible because he's your evil karmic twin, which not only totally doesn't make sense or jive with the lore about him from the last four games, but also retcons your exalted quest for Avatarhood in Ultima IV into the cause of all the troubles that has plagued the land since that time.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-31, 11:21 PM
At first, I was going to write about FFVIII. But then I thought, "I was more disappointed with FFIX, but- Hey, Advent Children! Not a game, but it's the biggest slap to the face I- *gasp*!"

You didn't like Advent Children? I hereby revoke your right to exist, unless you explain specifically what was wrong with it. "Too angsty" and "too illogical" aren't legitimate complaints.

...Eh?
2007-07-31, 11:30 PM
D&D.

You have an easier time with the Terrasque than generic kobold squad #6478?

Saint George
2007-07-31, 11:43 PM
You didn't like Advent Children? I hereby revoke your right to exist, unless you explain specifically what was wrong with it. "Too angsty" and "too illogical" aren't legitimate complaints.

I will take movies where the plot seemed like it was a bad fanfiction written by a twelve year old girl for 300, Alex.

Kranden
2007-08-01, 05:30 AM

Maybe you can tell me what was good about it? It had no real Plot It was just one long action CG movie. Worst story ever just trying to make some money off a popular franchise. Ever since square and Enix Merged its been nothing but ass coming out from there. Sigh... I want my childhood back Square-enix without it being tarnished with terrible FF7 Sequels and junk movies!

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-08-01, 12:57 PM
http://home.att.net/~clay.h/ttlg/tds_pvp.png

Sigh. Deus Ex and Thief sequels had so much potential...

Arameus
2007-08-01, 02:08 PM
Remember how FFVII:AC was originally supposed to be a half-hour? Well, they made it feature length, without adding any extra plot elements, by their own admission. The new characters were crap. Are they trying to make Sephiroth look even more like a transvestite by making even his component elements freakishly effeminate? Even the strong one that would otherwise have been cool was gifted with the character flaw of crying his eyes out at a drop of a hat.

The fight scenes, which make up up a huge part of the movie, were very poorly done. There's a fine line between fantastic action and Dragon Ball Z, and they sprinted across it and danced there. The Cloud/Sephiroth fight scene was worst, where they both fly around. Sephiroth can do that, but Cloud certainly can't. The Tifa/Loz fight scene was worse. It was more about showcasing realistic physics via Tifa's 'assets' being jostled around. If it can even be called a fight scene, the Cloud/Bahamut scene makes a very close third, where they all 'toss' him up in the air so he slices through the dragon doing about Mach 2 thousands of feet in the air.

If they can't effectively fight fifteen main characters in a movie with a story as shallow as this one, they shouldn't try. Giving the Turks, ruthless kidnappers and murderers, nothing more than comic relief roles and blurry, half-second token cameos is ridiculous and bad cinema. They did essentially the same thing with almost all the main cast members of FFVII. The scene when they all come out of the woodwork to fight Bahamut left me totally nonplussed and very disappointed.

I'm not even going to get into what's wrong with the plot. If you can't see it yourself, don't watch movies ever again. You really shouldn't go to theaters or video stores because you're probably financing people who make other horrible movies like Quentin Tarantino or Oliver Stone, and that's a real shame. Advent Children wasn't made to be a good movie. It was made to make a quick pile of scratch while not really giving any of their fans what they really wanted so that they can do the same thing again and again if they want to. And they have: that's what the whole 'Compilation of FFVII' is.

I don't think the merger with Enix has killed Square. That's just a copout by people who don't want to admit that Square Co., Ltd. died a slow, natural death due to the slow conversion of their talent from greatness and creativity to mediocrity and banality. This change is best represented, of course, by Tetsuya Nomura, who I'm pretty sure is anti-Christ.

Another disappointing game moment for me came a few years ago. I was getting really, really good at DDR, and making friends with a lot of the truly great people in the scene around here like Graham Griffin and Daniel Tharp. Another year or two and I would have been one of the greatest players in the entire quad-state area! Then they closed down the arcade and my love affair with the dance machine were over. :smallfurious: :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-08-01, 02:36 PM
Sigh. Deus Ex and Thief sequels had so much potential...Do you imply Deadly Shadows was a bad game? 'cause I kinda want to get it (even though I don't really have the time to play it right now), seeing as the former two Thief games belong to my most favorite games ever...
Or was the disappointing moment that the series got discontinued?

Dragor
2007-08-01, 06:12 PM
Thief: Deadly Shadows is supposed to have one of the scariest places of all time in it. Played quite a bit of it, loved it, and I don't usually like stealth games (of which there are few).

And does nobody agree that Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was the biggest slap-in-the-face for Warhammer fans of all time? Pile of steaming sh(azbot).

Arameus
2007-08-01, 06:55 PM
Thief: Deadly Shadows takes place in Chicago?

LordVader
2007-08-01, 07:08 PM
Mark of Chaos was terrible. So much like Total War, which is great, yet it failed. If they had made it Total War with some minor tweaks, it would have been amazing.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-01, 11:11 PM
Remember how FFVII:AC was originally supposed to be a half-hour? Well, they made it feature length, without adding any extra plot elements, by their own admission. The new characters were crap. Are they trying to make Sephiroth look even more like a transvestite by making even his component elements freakishly effeminate? Even the strong one that would otherwise have been cool was gifted with the character flaw of crying his eyes out at a drop of a hat.

I didn't mind the new characters, and I don't mind the overstretching. Yes, it's empty, but I didn't expect a plot like the original game. In my opinion, only one of the component people was freakishly effeminate (whats-it's-name, the one with the long hair and chubby cheeks). Point taken, though.

The fight scenes, which make up up a huge part of the movie, were very poorly done. There's a fine line between fantastic action and Dragon Ball Z, and they sprinted across it and danced there. The Cloud/Sephiroth fight scene was worst, where they both fly around. Sephiroth can do that, but Cloud certainly can't. The Tifa/Loz fight scene was worse. It was more about showcasing realistic physics via Tifa's 'assets' being jostled around. If it can even be called a fight scene, the Cloud/Bahamut scene makes a very close third, where they all 'toss' him up in the air so he slices through the dragon doing about Mach 2 thousands of feet in the air.

No, those weren't plausible at all, but I liked all of those fights. Cloud wasn't flying against Sephiroth, just... jumping... half a mile into the air. One wonders why he didn't do that against Bahamut. I take your point there, but it was at least a good way to throw in a bunch of characters so no one would complain that their favorite character never did anything useful. I really liked the Tifa/Loz fight, and I barely noticed the jiggling - I don't think it was out of hand at all. All of the fights were completely ridiculous, yes, but it's anime-based, it's normal for characters to do physically impossible things with minimal effort.

If they can't effectively fight fifteen main characters in a movie with a story as shallow as this one, they shouldn't try. Giving the Turks, ruthless kidnappers and murderers, nothing more than comic relief roles and blurry, half-second token cameos is ridiculous and bad cinema. They did essentially the same thing with almost all the main cast members of FFVII. The scene when they all come out of the woodwork to fight Bahamut left me totally nonplussed and very disappointed.

True, but if they hadn't given everyone token cameos people would have complained about characters not appearing. As for reducing the Turks to comic relief, at least it helped downplay the overwhelming angstiness that threatened to turn the movie into "FFVII: Cloud Fights Things, then Mopes about Aeris, and then Fights Other Things."

I'm not even going to get into what's wrong with the plot. If you can't see it yourself, don't watch movies ever again. You really shouldn't go to theaters or video stores because you're probably financing people who make other horrible movies like Quentin Tarantino or Oliver Stone, and that's a real shame. Advent Children wasn't made to be a good movie. It was made to make a quick pile of scratch while not really giving any of their fans what they really wanted so that they can do the same thing again and again if they want to. And they have: that's what the whole 'Compilation of FFVII' is.

I agree. However, you might note that a LOT of people think Tarantino and Stone are cinematic geniuses, and would be shocked to hear you deny that their movies are wry works of social commentary that deftly reveal the contradictions of American society blah blah blah. Your tolerance of adrenaline-jerking, contrivance, and cynically playing to the audience is unusually low for this day and age.

I don't think the merger with Enix has killed Square. That's just a copout by people who don't want to admit that Square Co., Ltd. died a slow, natural death due to the slow conversion of their talent from greatness and creativity to mediocrity and banality. This change is best represented, of course, by Tetsuya Nomura, who I'm pretty sure is anti-Christ.

I wouldn't have agreed that Square was dying or dead until FFX-2, but now I do. I don't think Nomura's terrible; he's just allowing the franchise to fall to the level of average RPGs, instead of staying at its long-sustained height of excellence.

Okay, I guess I accept your arguments. I still really like Advent Children, but your reasons for disliking it are legitimate.

Arameus
2007-08-02, 01:57 AM
Damned right they are. I'll even say it was fun to watch. But think: Squaresoft makes RPG's. Games that involve deep, moving, excellent (formerly in Square's case) stories, with well-conceived, likable, realistic characters. Aside form a handful of non-RPG's they've made, these things are their sole function! It's all they do! You'd think they'd make a dynamite movie! And yet they've made a few movies by now, all of which are very bad indeed. It makes no sense. Even when Square was the Golden One, their movies were disastrous.

If AC hadn't been about my favorite game of all time, I would have simply seen it as a generic, forgettable anime. But this was really devastating, even without getting my hopes built up.

I agree with you that my tolerance for pulp fiction, ever-lowering standards and completely-misplaced worship of the most undeserving garbage is low. That's because I am a human being and, like a proper human being, including every one of you, simply deserve better.

Arang
2007-08-03, 01:37 AM
You have an easier time with the Terrasque than generic kobold squad #6478?

After reading the d20 & tabletop RPG forums here, I am sorry to say that I really would. A level 1 Wizard might have trouble with that kobold squad if he got surrounded, but he'd just do something wacky and kill the Tarrasque in one round with his godlikeness at level 17.

Alternatively, levels 1 and 2 are distinct in that there is still no way to achieve Ultimate Cosmic Power on them. At levels 3 and up, the habit breaks.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-03, 08:28 AM
After reading the d20 & tabletop RPG forums here, I am sorry to say that I really would. A level 1 Wizard might have trouble with that kobold squad if he got surrounded, but he'd just do something wacky and kill the Tarrasque in one round with his godlikeness at level 17.

Alternatively, levels 1 and 2 are distinct in that there is still no way to achieve Ultimate Cosmic Power on them. At levels 3 and up, the habit breaks.

Arang's got a point. A friend of mine can build a level... i think it's 9, or maybe 11, somewhere around there,and it's an odd number, i know that much, shadowmage, that can basically create an massive army of Shadow Dragons that are something like 150% real, in the space of a few rounds. Munchkins are very dangerous. Oh, and it's actually really easy to kill a group of enemies as a level 1 mage. *Casts Sleep, grabs out a scythe, even though he's not proficient with it, and commences to auto-hit, auto-crit, coup-de-gras said mooks* You just have to know how to work the system.

Anyways, most disappointing game moment for me, next to FFVII:DoC would probably be... Getting all the way to the end of chapter 2 in NWN2, just about to start Chapter 3, and my save game corrupts... I uninstalled.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-03, 05:43 PM
^ Ow. You messed the best part of the game.

Kranden
2007-08-04, 11:17 PM
I know it hurts to remember but just two words

Spirits within.

/wrists

Arameus
2007-08-04, 11:43 PM
We will not speak of that. If I could have, I would have covered it. Please do not torture my memory so; it's weathered enough.:smallfrown: :smallsigh:

Crilley
2007-08-05, 08:24 PM
When I finished Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney.

I didn't want it to end :(

Although, I am seriously considering a career in law after playing it so, maybe I have figured out my life, at long last? Only time will tell...

Demented
2007-08-05, 08:49 PM
We will not speak of that. If I could have, I would have covered it. Please do not torture my memory so; it's weathered enough.:smallfrown: :smallsigh:

If you just scratch the "Final Fantasy" out, it's not so bad.

Logic
2007-08-05, 08:53 PM
The length of Majora's Mask was hugely diasppointing to me. I borrowed it from a friend and I beat it after a couple of weekends.

Tengu
2007-08-05, 09:37 PM
If you just scratch the "Final Fantasy" out, it's not so bad.

If you scratch the "Final Fantasy" out, it becomes an Aliens ripoff in CGI that's supposed to be moving, but isn't.

PS. I liked Advent Children.

Demented
2007-08-05, 11:04 PM
If you scratch the "Final Fantasy" out, it becomes an Aliens ripoff in CGI that's supposed to be moving, but isn't.

Correct! Only, instead of an Aliens ripoff, it's a Sci-Fi Anime (take-your-pick) ripoff.
Which isn't so bad.

On Advent Children, most of the time I was just grumbling mentally about how the characters were completely unblemished, no matter how earth-shatteringly they just got smote. It wouldn't have hurt to have a few numbers popping up over their heads, would it? Or maybe they could flash in colors a bit...

Jibar
2007-08-06, 02:46 AM
By any chance, Demented, have you watch this? (http://emudimension.com/fffantasy/FFF.html)

The length of Majora's Mask was hugely diasppointing to me. I borrowed it from a friend and I beat it after a couple of weekends.

A couple of weekends isn't that bad. That implies it's lasted at least a week.
I've played Ocarina of Time so much, there really isn't any point to it. It's over in a few days.

Tekraen
2007-08-06, 10:58 AM
Damned right they are. I'll even say it was fun to watch. But think: Squaresoft makes RPG's. Games that involve deep, moving, excellent (formerly in Square's case) stories, with well-conceived, likable, realistic characters. Aside form a handful of non-RPG's they've made, these things are their sole function! It's all they do! You'd think they'd make a dynamite movie! And yet they've made a few movies by now, all of which are very bad indeed. It makes no sense. Even when Square was the Golden One, their movies were disastrous.

If AC hadn't been about my favorite game of all time, I would have simply seen it as a generic, forgettable anime. But this was really devastating, even without getting my hopes built up.

I agree with you that my tolerance for pulp fiction, ever-lowering standards and completely-misplaced worship of the most undeserving garbage is low. That's because I am a human being and, like a proper human being, including every one of you, simply deserve better.

Square's movies are a lot better if you mentally insert the 60-80 hours of grinding for level that the protagonists do in between scene cuts.

evisiron
2007-08-06, 11:07 AM
Mark of Chaos.

Originally I thought "Ok. It is mimicing the way 40K on the board and so was the same in Dawn Of War. Fantasy was about strategic placment and clever tactics, so this should..."

Wrong! :smallfurious:

It was just unecessarily clunky and slow. It didn't even put any real advantages to flank or rear charges. They just jumped in and moshed for about 10 minutes!

Tengu
2007-08-06, 11:52 AM
Square's movies are a lot better if you mentally insert the 60-80 hours of grinding for level that the protagonists do in between scene cuts.

I never had to grind in most FF games...

Kranden
2007-08-08, 04:23 AM
I just Bought (cough cough) Supreme commander, Never have I been more bored and disappointed by a RTS. At least It didn't cost me much more than the time it took to down.... err I mean buy it.

In all seriousness It was a crappy zergfest with little macro and strategy and just hyped up by Gaming news sites. On top of that the story was so unoriginal and BORING who on earth wasted time making that.

Mr.Shmatt
2007-08-08, 06:49 AM
Mark of Chaos.

Originally I thought "Ok. It is mimicing the way 40K on the board and so was the same in Dawn Of War. Fantasy was about strategic placment and clever tactics, so this should..."

Wrong! :smallfurious:

It was just unecessarily clunky and slow. It didn't even put any real advantages to flank or rear charges. They just jumped in and moshed for about 10 minutes!

completed half the first chapter using only the empire wizard you find... throw some fire, run back, run forward, throw some more... then realised he had levelled up 3 times and could improve his spells MORE... stopped playing after that, just wasnt worth the clicking...

Tekraen
2007-08-08, 11:18 AM
I never had to grind in most FF games...

Pff, I had to in the original Final Fantasy, and XI is all about the grinding.

The original Final Fantasy for the Famicom/NES required substantial grinding to get across the bridge and into the town where you could get the pirate ship. I recall having to sit and grind for several hours to get high enough that the trip wouldn't kill me, then I had to grind again once I got to the elf kingdom so I could survive the trip into the marsh caves. So on, so forth. Each new area had an average of 1-2 hour grind to get to a survivable level for me.

Logic
2007-08-08, 03:50 PM
A couple of weekends isn't that bad. That implies it's lasted at least a week.
I've played Ocarina of Time so much, there really isn't any point to it. It's over in a few days.

I forgot to mention that at the time, my parents only let me play video games on weekends, for about 2-3 hours a day. So, pretty much 12-15 hours of gameplay.

Jibar
2007-08-09, 01:36 AM
I forgot to mention that at the time, my parents only let me play video games on weekends, for about 2-3 hours a day. So, pretty much 12-15 hours of gameplay.

Aahh, oh, yeah. I see what you mean now. That is pretty bad.
Did you get all the masks though? Couples Mask an' all?