PDA

View Full Version : Ranged sneak attack outside first range increment?

Vaypah
2016-05-30, 02:43 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you cannot perform sneak attacks outside of the first range increment, but for the life of me I can't remember where. Nor have I been able to find a definitive rule or ruling on this using all-mighty Google.

Context:
One of my players is using daggers as main weapons and has on several occasions used them as ranged weapons, throwing them out as far as 30ft and getting to use their sneak attack damage - usually during a surprise round, or when acting before an enemy has had a chance to move for the first time.
They have, of course, suffered the -4 penalty normally attached to such attempts.

So? Does anyone remember such a rule, or am I going crazy?

And if there isn't an official rule like this, would anyone else rule against getting the sneak attack damage?

Here's my reasoning:
Since the weapon isn't meant to be thrown that far, the -2/-4 penalty would represent a dip in accuracy and that would prevent using it to accurately strike at the more vulnerable points, similar to how one cannot use a lethal damaging weapon to deal non-lethal sneak attack damage.

Or would you feel that the attack penalty is enough of a downside of using the daggers at such an "extreme" range, and leave it at that?

icefractal
2016-05-30, 02:59 PM
The 30' limit is the only one I've heard of. Does it even make sense to penalize daggers though? He could just throw javelins instead and do more damage, so why discourage the option that has a more roguish flavor?

TheCountAlucard
2016-05-30, 03:26 PM
Which system?

ZeroGear
2016-05-30, 11:43 PM
There isn't a rule against it, but if you deem it appropriate, then go ahead.

Siosilvar
2016-05-31, 12:28 AM
It's reasonably common in homebrew to extend the allowable range for sneak attacks to the first range increment if longer than 30 feet, but I can't recall anything off the top of my head, official or otherwise, that shortens it.

Vaypah
2016-05-31, 12:32 AM
Which system?

Ugh, sorry. I was sure I was in the proper sub-forum.

This is in Pathfinder, but there is a chance I read the rule in a 3.0 or 3.5 book somewhere.

The 30' limit is the only one I've heard of. Does it even make sense to penalize daggers though? He could just throw javelins instead and do more damage, so why discourage the option that has a more roguish flavor?

My inclination is also to just leave it. I just had this nagging at the back of my head about reading about this somewhere.
Since nobody seems to remember the rule I mentioned above, I'll leave things as they are and call it a day.

Rusvul
2016-05-31, 08:45 AM
For future reference, this seems like a question that would be best answered here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414719-Simple-Q-amp-A-by-RAW-for-Pathfinder-4) :)

Âmesang
2016-05-31, 07:13 PM
I always kind of figured the 30 ft. limit was based on the idea of "don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes." I mean, I imagine it's difficult to precisely target a specific part of the body when said body looks like an ant to your eyes (and likely isn't standing still but moving around like everyone else).