PDA

View Full Version : Need a generic name for Asian continent

Windrammer
2016-05-30, 06:10 PM
My world is made to accompany anything a player would want to play and as such there needs to be an Asia. I don't know what to call it. The working title was "Wuxia", then I made it "Wuxon" in a halfhearted attempt to come up with something but I don't think I like that.

Any ideas?

KoyukiTei13
2016-05-31, 02:22 AM
Perhaps look into random name generators and then change a few letters to your liking? There's a site (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/) with so many generators on it that I've sat there and rolled for several hours straight because I like random generators...

MrZJunior
2016-05-31, 07:02 AM
Naisa. It's Asian spelled backwards.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-31, 10:09 AM
Tianxia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianxia)? Hardly original, but it works.

DuctTapeKatar
2016-06-01, 08:09 PM
Use Google Translate and translate some of the defining characteristics of this continent/world to the base language of the country you are basing this place off of. Mix and mash the resulting slosh of different words into a name you like. If you don't like the words... Change them to a different language.

Max_Killjoy
2016-06-01, 09:38 PM
Greater Cathay. Maybe also have a Lesser Cathay.

If this land is in the east, then put "east" in Google translate and find something in another language that sounds good to your ear. Or use whatever direction fits.

Thunderfist12
2016-06-16, 03:48 AM
Kinlan, Shannat, Tsaruna, Azuma, Kaigan, Ganten, or Yun.

Thinker
2016-06-16, 12:04 PM
If it's similar to how Eurasia is in real life, I'm not sure you need a specific name for "Asia". After all, Japan, Korea, Indo-China, Indonesia, Siberia, India, the Himalayas, Afghanistan, the Eastern steppes, the Gobi, the Western Steppes, the Persian Gulf, Persia, and the Middle East are at least as different from one another as are Scandinavia, the Mediterranean, Britain, Northern Europe, Western Europe, the Pyrenees, the Alps, Iberia, and Eastern Europe. In this case, you might name the states based on local features as normal or you can give them a twist and name them after the ruling dynasty (Ming, Qing, Manchu, Abbasid, etc.) or you can borrow from the Persians the word -stan, which means "place of" and is seen in many Central Asian nation names.

If you're set on it though and your game takes place in the "Europe Analog", you could just call it "the East" or "the Far East" if there's another East it might be confused with. Individual states could be named after the dynasty that controls them like Ming. Also, while the original naming of Asia is lost to history, one theory about its origin is the Akkadian word wasum, which indicates "to ascend", referring to the direction of the rising sun. Indeed, asu means East in ancient Assyrian. This is reinforced by the Latin word Oriens (Oriental) meaning 'rising' to refer to areas to the East.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-17, 01:35 PM
If it's similar to how Eurasia is in real life, I'm not sure you need a specific name for "Asia". After all, Japan, Korea, Indo-China, Indonesia, Siberia, India, the Himalayas, Afghanistan, the Eastern steppes, the Gobi, the Western Steppes, the Persian Gulf, Persia, and the Middle East are at least as different from one another as are Scandinavia, the Mediterranean, Britain, Northern Europe, Western Europe, the Pyrenees, the Alps, Iberia, and Eastern Europe. In this case, you might name the states based on local features as normal or you can give them a twist and name them after the ruling dynasty (Ming, Qing, Manchu, Abbasid, etc.) or you can borrow from the Persians the word -stan, which means "place of" and is seen in many Central Asian nation names.

If you're set on it though and your game takes place in the "Europe Analog", you could just call it "the East" or "the Far East" if there's another East it might be confused with. Individual states could be named after the dynasty that controls them like Ming. Also, while the original naming of Asia is lost to history, one theory about its origin is the Akkadian word wasum, which indicates "to ascend", referring to the direction of the rising sun. Indeed, asu means East in ancient Assyrian. This is reinforced by the Latin word Oriens (Oriental) meaning 'rising' to refer to areas to the East.

If it's a distinct geographical region, it's gonna need a name. Might just be a name cartographers use and no-one else much cares about, but still a name.

TripleD
2016-06-20, 09:56 PM
Bu Zhong Guo

Not particularly clever, but a nice in-joke if anyone at your table gets it.

TheYell
2016-06-28, 07:24 AM
Wu Wujiao Wu Ma Wu Ling Wuzhong Wutep Wui Wuthay.

Dan Wu Xon Wu Zhiawu Dawu Lohaiwu Gwangwu Pongwu La Wu Fuwu

Lowudan Ingwuxon Jawuxia Chuwuzu Awuxu Owuji

Ba Wu Hoxi Arawuda Oliwushia Pongwusheda Kuowushipshida Kywuturu Wawuwewang

Wua Wuo Wui Wuy Wuch Wu(click) Wuphong Wu Ba Wu Bu Wu Di Wu Huang Wuhi Wuhai Wushi Wushan Wustan Wustang Wuhu Wupi Wutup

Angor Wu Wu Vong Wuma****a Kong Wu Kraa Wu Wu Xa Bali Wu Wuxondang Wuango Waui Wu Lai

or some blend

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-28, 12:46 PM
Wuxingburg.

:smalltongue:

Storm Bringer
2016-07-09, 01:39 PM
All Under Heaven (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianxia)

might strike the wrong cord with the more politically inclined players, but it sounds nice and has a genuine, and suitable, meaning in Chinese.

Regitnui
2016-07-09, 02:56 PM
Well, Japanese avoids a number of sounds in English... Try something like Ku'aran. The ' is just so you pronounce the u and a separately. You can leave it out in the game.