PDA

View Full Version : [Legendary Weapon] The Finger of Mount Celestia

ski309
2007-06-27, 02:44 PM
I'm looking into the Battle Scion class in Unearthed Arcana, so I have to make up a legendary weapon to use for my DM to approve. This is what I came up with, and I was hoping you all could take a look and give your thoughts (too powerful, not powerful enough, etc.) before I discuss it with my DM.

Finger of Mount Celestia

Intelligent greatsword (two-handed martial weapon, 2d6 damage)

Requirements
Alignment
Any good

Base Attack Bonus
+9.

Skills
Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks.

Feats
Weapon Focus (greatsword), Improved Critical (greatsword)

Restrictions
The Finger of Mount Celestia will not allow itself to be used against anyone of a good alignment. The wielder of the Finger must succeed on a will save (DC 19) in order to attack anyone of a good alignment, and even then the damage dealt is nonlethal.

Attributes
Hardness/Hitpoints
20/55

Caster Level
?

Value
?

The Finger of Mount Celestia's intelligent item stats are:
Alignment: Lawful good
Ability Scores: Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 18
Purpose: Vanquish any Chaotic evil it may find, though any evil will usually do.
Item Ego: 19 (+4 Wis, +4 Cha, +2 Holy, +4 Purpose, +5 enhancement bonus)

{table]Battle Scion Level|Ability Gained
-|Detect Evil
1st|Holy
2nd|Divine Strength +2
3rd|Enhancement Bonus +3
4th|Strong Arm
5th|Divine Strength +4
6th|Enhancement Bonus +4
7th|Spell Immunity (evil & chaotic)
8th|Divine Strength +6
9th|Vorpal (evil)
10th|Enhancement Bonus +5[/table]

Initial Abilities
When first acquired, the Finger of Mount Celestia functions as an intelligent +2 greatsword. Any wielder of the Finger of Mount Celestia may also use Detect Evil at will, as the spell.

Detect Evil (Su)
Any wielder of the Finger of Mount Celestia can use the spell Detect Evil at will, as the spell.

Strong Arm (Ex)
A battle scion of fourth level with the Finger of Mount Celestia may wield it in one hand as if he were wielding it with two hands. This allows the use of a second weapon or a shield while wielding the Finger. The Finger is still treated as a two-handed weapon when using Power Attack.

Holy (Su)
When wielded by a battle scion, the Finger of Mount Celestia gains the holy special ability. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage on a successful strike against all of evil alignment.

Divine Strength (Su)
When wielded by a battle scion of 2nd level or higher, the wielder gains an enhancement bonus of +2 to Strength. The bonus increases to +4 at level 5 and to +6 at level 8.

Spell Immunity (evil and chaotic) (Su)
When wielded by a battle scion of 7th level or higher, the wielder gains spell immunity in regards to any spells of the evil or chaotic descriptor.

Vorpal (evil) (Su)
When wielded by a battle scion of 9th level or higher, the Finger gains the vorpal special ability when used against all of evil alignment.

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 03:07 PM
I don't recommend an intelligent "legendary weapon". At all. The very concept of the scion classes is unlocking the capabilities of a weapon; an intelligent weapon should very well have use of all its capabilities. It makes no sense.

Divine Strength seems kinda weak, since an enhancement bonus to a score is the easiest to find. Make it a sacred bonus instead.

Spell Immunity is also rather silly, since there aren't many spells with the evil or chaotic descriptor. Instead, consider something like a continuous holy aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyAura.htm) for the wielder only.

Fixer
2007-06-27, 03:13 PM
Tangent:

Am I the only person who read the title and thought, "I wonder which finger 'heaven' would be giving us?"

ski309
2007-06-27, 03:14 PM
Tangent:

Am I the only person who read the title and thought, "I wonder which finger 'heaven' would be giving us?"Depends on your alignment :smallwink:

ski309
2007-06-27, 11:59 PM
crap, I had meant for this to go in the homebrew forum. Could one of the mods move this thread for me?

ski309
2007-06-28, 09:13 AM
I was hoping to hear some other comments before responding to this but in any case:

I don't recommend an intelligent "legendary weapon". At all. The very concept of the scion classes is unlocking the capabilities of a weapon; an intelligent weapon should very well have use of all its capabilities. It makes no sense.
I made the weapon intelligent because of the backstory I was planning for my character. It could make sense if the weapon chooses not to grant the wielder access to its higher powers until he's shown himself worthy in some way.

Divine Strength seems kinda weak, since an enhancement bonus to a score is the easiest to find. Make it a sacred bonus instead.

Spell Immunity is also rather silly, since there aren't many spells with the evil or chaotic descriptor. Instead, consider something like a continuous holy aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyAura.htm) for the wielder only.These sound good :)