PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Aspect of the Cosmos - for when you want a more mold-able planar entity

ShiningStarling
2016-05-31, 03:30 AM
I saw this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489768-BE-NOT-AFRAID-Let-s-design-alignment-neutral-angels-3-5) and was somewhat inspired. So here :3

ASPECT OF THE COSMOS

In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung

Aspects of the Cosmos, often called Aspects by those who know of such things, are strange creatures, and yet not strange at all. They all exist with a singular purpose. Some are used as tools of the Gods, some are representative of a primal force, and yet some others merely are, extant in the parts of reality that most suit them, guarding it from those who would harm it.

Aspects all have an associated Domain. Below will be described the Base Aspect, and following will be a list of Domains, as well as their effects on the Aspect. To specify the typ of Aspect one has, replace "the Cosmos" with the name of the domain (e.g.: Aspect of Law, Aspect of Fire, etc.)
All aspects are intended to scale to almost any HD. In addition to the scaling in their abilities, it is intended that their ability scores also scale with HD. Strength, Constitution, and Charisma equal 10+HD, Dexterity and Wisdom equal 10+3/4HD, and Intelligence equals 10+1/2HD. Consider changing the regeneration to fast healing at low levels. Their spell resistance is equal to 13+HD. Their Natural Armor is equal to half their number of hit dice, minimum 1.
ASPECTMedium Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 20d8+200 (290 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 37 (+7 Dex, +10 Natural, +10 Deflection), touch 27, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+27
Attack: Aspect Weapon +30 melee (2d6+15/19-20)
Full Attack: Aspect Weapon +30/+25/+20/+15 (2d6+15/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Domain Spell Like Abilities, Domain Aspect Weapon
Special Qualities: Spell Resistance 33, Domain Damage Reduction, Domain Resistances, low-light vision, darkvision 60ft., Domain Regeneration 10, Domain Aura, Alternate Form
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +20, Will +20
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 25, Con 30, Int 20, Wis 25, Cha 30
Skills: Concentration +33, Escape Artist +30, Gather Information +33, Hide +30, Intimidate +33, Knowledge (the planes) +28, Listen +30, Move Silently +30, Sense Motive +30, Spot +30, Tumble +30, Use Magic Device +33, Use Rope +30
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Bounding Assault (from PHB2), Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder
Environment: Plane Associated with Domain, or Material
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: iunno
Treasure: Standard Items, Double Gems
Alignment: As Domain
Advancement: 1-90 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Aspect Abilities
Domain: All Aspects have a Domain. Choose on the table below to determine most of the Aspect's abilities. If their domain is also a subtype, they gain that subtype.
Domain Spell-Like Abilities: An Aspect has access to a single Cleric domain. It casts these spells as if it had Cleric levels equal to its Hit Dice, save that it always has 3 slots open to these spells of levels it can cast rather than 1. It also has access to that domain's Granted Power.
Domain Aspect Weapon: An Aspect always has a weapon, it is a part of them. This weapon appears however they wish, manufactured, natural, or as is appropriate for their domain or appearance. It does 2d6 damage at medium size, may strike in adjacent squares as well as those 10 ft. away, and provides a +4 racial bonus to Sunder attempts. This weapon may not be sundered or disarmed or dispelled, and has additional qualities based on the Aspect's Domain. Weapon effects described apply on every hit with the weapon. The Aspect's weapon overcomes all non-aligned damage reduction except adamantine, epic, and typeless. An Aspect's weapon is also aligned as they are, and overcomes damage reduction as such.
Domain Damage Reduction: Aspects have DR equal to one half of their hit dice, minimum 1, which can only be overcome by something magic, in addition to another condition that their Domain specifies.
Domain Resistance: Aspects have resistance to Fire, Acid, Cold, and Electricity equal to one half their hit dice, minimum 1, are immune to Poison, Sleep, and Mind Affecting Effects, and have an immunity based on their Domain.
Domain Regeneration (Ex): An Aspect recovers hp a round equal to one half of their hit dice, minimum 1, and all damage is treated as non-lethal, except for the type of damage that overcomes their damage reduction and/or is anathema to their domain. Lost limbs may be reattached instantly, or regrow on their own in 5 rounds.
Domain Aura (Su): All Aspects have a 20 ft. radius aura. They and their allies receive a deflection bonus to AC equal to the Aspect's Charisma modifier while within the aura. Their aura's effect is determined by their domain, and may be suppressed or reactivated at will, as a free action. It affects themselves and allies if a benefit, enemies if a detriment, and always radiates a strong aura of magic. Saves against effects are made against DC 25 (Charisma based)
Alternate Form (Su): Aspects have very mutable forms. Their default appearance is usually either a semi-angelic appearance with themes of their domain, or else a beast of similar flavoring. When not in areas of anti-magic, they make take on the appearance of any mortal creature. This does not disable or change their abilities.

Domain
Alignment
Plane
Weapon Effect
DR Overcome
Immunity
Anathema
Aura

Air
N
Air
+1d6 vs Fire, Water, +2d6 vs Earth
Silver
Electricity
Acid
+30 ft. Fly speed

Animal
N
Beastlands
+2d6 vs discernible anatomy
Silver
-
-
Pounce

Chaos
CN
Limbo
+1d6 per alignment step
Law
-
Law
Magic Circle vs Law

Death
LE
Negative
+2d6 to living
Silver
Negative
Positive
1d6 Neg/round

Destruction
CE
Baator
+1d6 to all, +2d6 to constructs, ignores DR/hardness
Adamantine
Disintegration, Annihilation
Law
-4 AC, -4 Saves

Earth
N
Earth
+1d6 vs Fire, Water, +2d6 vs Air
Adamantine
Electricity
Acid
+30 ft. base speed

Evil
NE
Hades
+1d6 per alignment step
Good
-
Good
Magic Circle vs Good

Fire
N
Fire
+1d6 vs Air, Earth, +2d6 vs Water
Cold Iron
Fire
Cold
+2 DCs

Good
NG
Elysium
+1d6 per alignment step
Evil
-
Evil
Magic Circle vs Evil

Healing
NG
Positive
1d6 healing on self
Cold Iron
-
Negative
Fast Healing 5

Knowledge
LN
Arcadia
+2d6 vs any previously hit
Silver
Precision
Critical
+2 to all damage dice

Law
LN
Mechanus
+1d6 per alignment step
Chaos
-
Chaos
Magic Circle vs Chaos

Luck
CN
Pandemonium
+1d20 vs all
Cold Iron
Critical
Precision
+2 to all rolls (except damage)

Magic
LN
Outlands
targeted Dispel on target, CL=HD
Cold Iron
Force
Sonic
L. Globe of Invulnerability, cancels anti-magic

Plant
CG
Arborea
+2d6 Unnatural
Adamantine
Acid
Fire
Haste

Protection
LG
Bytopia
+1 stacking AC for this round
-
Normal Weapons, Stunning
Chaos
+4 AC, +4 saves

Strength
LN
Acheron
+1 stacking Strength for this round
Adamantine
Negative, Stunning
Cold
+4 Str

Sun
CG
Ysgard
+3d6 vs Light Sensitivity or Undead
Cold Iron
Fire
Negative
Daylight, 2d6 radiant/round

Travel
N
Astral
+3d6/+2AC Skirmish
Cold Iron
Stunning, Slowing
Cold
+30ft. all movement

Trickery
CN
Shadow
Combat Reflexes, +5d6 Sneak Attack
Cold Iron
Critical, Precision
Fire
Greater Invisibility

Fallen
CN
Carceri
+1d6 all, heal 1d6 self
-
-
Positive
Confusion

War
LN
Acheron
+2d6 vs all
Adamantine
Normal Weapons
Law
+2 to hit, AC, and saves

Water
N
Water
+1d6 vs Air, Earth, +2d6 vs Fire
Silver
Cold
Fire
+2 DCs

More details to come

ShiningStarling
2016-05-31, 03:31 AM
Reserved in case, also, please tell me what you think! Suggestions are welcome as well!

Eldan
2016-05-31, 08:03 AM
Ooh, very nice. May I steal some ideas? I want them a bit lower level than this, but they are very nice for the aspects.

ShiningStarling
2016-05-31, 11:16 AM
Use all you like! Also, all of their numbers scale with HD, I'll write out the scaling later. Glad you like them!

Debihuman
2016-06-03, 11:25 AM
Advancement should be 21+ HD (Medium). You can't advance with less than 21 since the base creature has 20 HD.

Debby

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 11:32 AM
@debihuman is that means this thing is boss class monster

ShiningStarling
2016-06-03, 02:04 PM
Advancement should be 21+ HD (Medium). You can't advance with less than 21 since the base creature has 20 HD.

Debby
I see what you mean, and I had forgotten that little point of form, but in reality I picked 20 HD because it was a round number as an example for the scaling of ability scores and Special Qualities (ability score scaling mentioned in the DM notes above the main entry)

Debihuman
2016-06-05, 08:26 AM
I see what you mean, and I had forgotten that little point of form, but in reality I picked 20 HD because it was a round number as an example for the scaling of ability scores and Special Qualities (ability score scaling mentioned in the DM notes above the main entry)

To show scaling, this is an example of an Aspect of Air that I came up with based on what you have.

You might want to scale natural armor and deflection bonus as well. Fast healing should probably scale as well (points equal to HD as regeneration).

Note: natural weapons generally do not have improved criticals unless they have the feat for it. Your sample should have 20 rather than 19-20 since it doesn't have improved critical feat. This natural weapon cannot be thrown or used as a ranged weapon (it is a part of the creature and I think this needs to be said for DMs that don't necessarily grasp what that means).

Spell resistance should scale as well. It appears yours is HD +13.

Domain Resistance Lightning should be Resistance Electricity. You should note a minimum of 1 since it is half hit dice.

Domain Regeneration should also reflect minimum 1. I don't think these need to be changed to fast healing for low levels.

Outsiders have 8 + Int modifier skills plus x4 at first level so this 32 skill points to play with.

Since this creature only gets 1 domain weapon it can only make 1 wing attack despite having two wings in its natural form. I figured this could be any bird but I decided to make it look like a golden pheasant in its natural form since those are particularly striking birds. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_pheasant

Because the domain aura of an aspect of air has special ranges, I spelled them out. It gains the Air Subtype due to its domain. Despite having 2 wings, at 1 hit die, it can only make 1 wing attack.

Adamantine is the preferred use to Adamantium in 3.5. See special materials.

To determine Challenge Rating I often use Vorpal Tribble's CR estimator and got CR 3. However, this has too few HD with Fast Healing 1 to be able to take the kind of damage it can dish out. This is one of the reasons that I'm not fond of creatures whose CR is greater than their HD. I am keeping regeneration 1 to shore up its hit points.

Edit: Criticisms aside, this was a fun little entity to make.

Aspect of Air
Medium Outsider (Air, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 20 (+10 Natural, +10 Deflection), touch 10, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Wing +1 melee (2d6 plus 1d6 vs. fire and water plus 2d6 vs. earth)
Full Attack: Wing +1 melee (2d6 plus 1d6 vs. fire and water plus 2d6 vs. earth)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Domain Aspect Weapon (Wing), Domain Spell-Like Abilities (Air)
Special Qualities: Alternate form, damage reduction 1 (silver or magic), darkvision 60 ft., domain aura (Fly), regeneration 1, resistance, immunity to electricity, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep, resistance to cold 1, electricity 1, and fire 1, low-light vision, spell resistance 14, vulnerable to acid
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11
Skills: Concentration +3, Escape Artist +2, Gather Information +3, Hide +2, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (the planes) +3, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Sense Motive +2, Spot +3, Tumble +2, Use Magic Device +2, Use Rope +2
Feats: Dodge
Environment: Elemental Plane of Air
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard Items, Double Gems
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 2+ HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

An aspect of air resembles an oversized golden pheasant but can take any mortal form with its Alternate Form ability.

Alternate Form (Su): Aspects of air resemble an oversized golden pheasant with semi-angelic wings. When not in areas of anti-magic, they make take on the appearance of any mortal creature. This does not disable or change their abilities.

Domain Aspect Weapon (Wing): An aspect of air uses its wing as its weapon. It does 2d6 points of damage, may strike in adjacent squares as well as those 10 ft. away, and provides a +4 racial bonus to Sunder attempts. This weapon may not be sundered or disarmed or dispelled. Weapon effects described apply on every hit with the weapon. The aspect of air's weapon overcomes all damage reduction except adamantine, epic, and untyped damage. An aspect of air's weapon is only related as being of its own alignment for the purposes of damage reduction.

Domain Aura (Fly) (Su): An aspect of air has a 20 ft. radius magic aura that grants their allies the ability to fly 30 feet per round (note that allies who fly beyond the range of the aura begin to fall and only stop falling if they fall in the aura's range). The aura may be suppressed or reactivated at will, as a free action. The save is DC 10 and is Charisma based. Note too that allies generally voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept the result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Domain Damage Reduction: Aspects of air have DR equal to one half of their hit dice, minimum 1, which can only be overcome by something magic and silver.

Domain Resistance: Aspects of air have resistance to Fire, Acid , Cold, and Electricity equal to one half their hit dice (minimum 1), are immune to Poison, Sleep, and Mind Affecting Effects, and have an immunity to Electricity.

Domain Regeneration (Ex): Acid deals normal damage to an aspect of air. Acid, Magic, and Silver overcomes its damage reduction. Lost limbs may be reattached instantly, or regrow on their own in 5 rounds.

Domain Spell-Like Abilities (Sp and Su): As a standard action, an aspect of air can cast obscuring mist 3/day as first level cleric. It also gains the Air Domain and gains the air domain's granted power to turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead and can rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. It can use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

Debby

ShiningStarling
2016-06-07, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback Debby! I made a few of the notes you suggested, fixed some typos, etc.

One thing I would note is that the Air aura is +30ft., meaning get it is intended to give 30 more feet of flight to itself and allies that already possess a fly speed.

Other than that, I think you've really helped clean this entry up, and when I get home of can get on a proper computer and add your example to the OP, if that's alright with you! Also plan to add descriptions for the domains, as well as officially enumerating their abilities