PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Making a new character from concept, requesting input

Jowgen
2016-05-31, 04:06 AM
The concept is an Exalted martial character who throws lots of natural attacks (via Necklace of Natural Weapons with Throwing WSA), maybe with a focus on Sneak Attack and/or on-hit Ability damage. No to ToB, no to Psionics, yes to Dragon mag and setting-specific stuff. Build should be online by level 6 the latest. Lots of multi/prestige-classing encouraged.

My current train of thought is 2 levels in Chaos monk (Dragon 335) for Flailing strike, 2 levels in one of the variant fighters from Dragon 310 (maybe Pugilist for Endurance and another IUS as bonus freebies, or Targeteer for Arrow Swarm). Not sure about the other base class levels (should have full BAB though). If I can swing the human-subtype variant from RoD, I might also go for a dip in Shiba Protector.

For feats I'm thinking Touch of Golden Ice to shower evil enemies with fort saves against Dex damage, beyond that I imagine optimizing ranged combat will eat a lot of feats. If I take Burtal Throw I should be able to use Intutive Attack for both Melee and Ranged Unarmed Strikes. Combined with Shiba Protector, I should be able to be quite SAD on Wisdom.

I want to boost the number of attacks this can do, give more ability damage option, and maximise my Wisdom-based benefits.

noce
2016-05-31, 04:54 AM
A vow of poverty kensai would have lots of bonus exalted feats (touch of golden ice, intuitive strike, fist of the heavens, holy ki strike...), and would be able to put throwing and returning on his fists, and many other magic enhancements at no cost. Vow of poverty gives you many bonuses and could be advantageous if you make good use of exalted feats.
It requires lawful though, and only medium bab.

Inevitability
2016-05-31, 05:50 AM
If you're going Exalted anyway, pick up Intuitive Attack. It allows you to focus mostly on wisdom and constitution by making melee attacks key off wisdom rather than strength.

Yes, your damage will suffer, but if you're going down the ability damage/sneak attack route sacrificing a few points of damage on each attack is worth it if it means more accuracy.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-31, 08:06 AM
Well, totemist is the obvious choice for a two-level dip. Although it's three-quarter base attack, you should still come out ahead in terms of attacks per round. You'll want a way to move and attack, too, but that might be left to magic items (anklets, chronocharm and so on).

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-31, 11:17 AM
strongheart halfling or human

Monk 1 Sacred vow, vop, intuitive attack, monk feat
Monk 2
totemist 1
Totemist 2

+ a Full bab option (ranger/barbarian)

*Consider halfling substitution level (Rotw) to trade something for skirmish
*Consider trading evasion for invisible fist (EoE)
*Remember that CoV has exalted feats, defender of the homeland is ok
*If going touch of golden ice, page 35 says this:

Ravages and afflictions deal damage only to evil creatures. Any evil creature takes damage equal to that listed on either Table 3–2 or Table 3–3, plus its Charisma bonus. An evil elemental or evil undead takes an extra 1 point of damage, and an evil outsider or an evil cleric of an evil deity takes an extra 2 points of damage. If more than one kind of damage is listed, the creature’s Charisma modifier and additional damage are added to each kind of damage.

It also says that it is a supernatural ability: consider ability focus to up the DC from 14 to 16. Consider sudden ability focus to get the DC from 16 to 18. Ask the DM to allow your CHA bonus to apply to the save DC.

*wormtail belt totemist soulmeld + barbed stinger (from serpent kingdoms p.144) is a nice combo.

Jowgen
2016-06-03, 01:46 AM
Okay, so after much consideration, I've decided to give the novel notion of super-Wis-dependency the finger, and just do what I know: exploit Dex.

Now, the first two levels are in Crafty Hunter (UA) variant Barbarian, for Rapid Shot @2, with the City Brawler ACF (Dragon 335), for IUS and TWF that works with unarmed strikes.

The next two levels are Targeteer fighter (Dragon 310) for Vital Aim Dex to damage and the Hit & Run ACF (DotU) for another Dex to damage, plus Arrow Swarm for 2 extra attacks.

Then come the 2 chaos monk level with the Martial Monk variant for Flailing Strike and Dead Eye for a 3rd Dex to damage; plus Invisible Fist ( thank you daremetoidareyo:smallsmile: ). Everything is rounded off with Master Thrower 5.

With Planar Touchstone (Oxyrnchus) and Gloves of the Balanced hand in the mix, this all adds up to minimum 7 maximum 10 attacks by level 6. Master Thrower 5 will allow for flat footed touch attacks with a chance of trip each time, so that off-sets the massive attack penalties. If I can get Palm Throw to work, that all adds up to up to 20 saves vs Golden Ice from each full attack.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-03, 09:24 AM
If you're using ranged attacks, you don't want to trip your opponents. Prone targets get +4 AC versus ranged attacks.

Twurps
2016-06-05, 10:03 AM
If you're using ranged attacks, you don't want to trip your opponents. Prone targets get +4 AC versus ranged attacks.

If there are more than 1 adversary: having 1, or a couple of them prone gives me time to focus on the others.
If there is just 1 adversary: having it prone is usually half the battle won as this eats into its action economy while my entire party gangs up on it.

Vizzerdrix
2016-06-05, 10:13 AM
Natural ranged attacks? I think savage species has a feat for ripping of your own limbs and throwing them.

Inevitability
2016-06-05, 11:44 AM
Natural ranged attacks? I think savage species has a feat for ripping of your own limbs and throwing them.

The lantern archon's light ray is technically also a natural ranged attack.

Jowgen
2016-06-13, 06:35 PM
Heya, I've just about rounded off the build I described above. I canned Oxyrunchus for Nemesis to get enough exalted feats to eventually go Saint and threw in Master Pickpocket for some Invisible Fist theft synergy.

What I'm now wondering if people know of any good magical trinkets to put on such a character. Already going with Filcher's Friend (A&E) for a cheap SoH boost, and a Talisman of the Disk because my handbook on it. Currently looking at 19000 wbl (minus the aforementioned).

nedz
2016-06-13, 07:31 PM
Shame you ditched Wis, I was going to suggest Ring the Golden Bell (Dragon Compendium) since you are going Monk and looking to throw things around. It only works Wis bonus +1 times per day though.

ToB would help here - obviously - but you've ruled that option out.