PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Necro-Caster advice

RavensLand
2016-05-31, 02:21 PM
I've been playing around with an idea for a debuff assassin with levels of Unchained Rogue(Thug archetype) and Sanguine Sorcerer. The game starts at level 5 so I'm thinking 3 rogue and 2 sorcerer for brutal beating, dex to damage on daggers, and combat trick rogue talent for arcane armor training. Them everything else goes into sorcere levels.
Using the Dhampir race with the heritage that replaces the -2 con for wis. Stats after adjustments will be Str 10 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 20. Combat will be a combination of debuffing spells and sneak attacks to debilitate enemies. At higher levels I'll use animate dead to maintain a bloody skeleton that acts as a personal tank and flank buddy and occasionally use it to resurrect dead enemies to change the odds and use a wand of repaire undead for personal use and bloody skeleton emergencies.
Magic talent trait and sanguine passive keeps me casting necromancy spells at level 5.

Does anyone have particular feats or features I'm missing that might help or any other suggestions? Anything in the PRD is leagal but anything out of it needs GM approval.

Ahus
2016-05-31, 05:30 PM
Take the Fast Getaway Rogue Talent (landing a sneak attack will grant you a Withdraw Action) and get a Decoy Ring (whenever you take a Withdrawal Action you turn invisible and decoys run off in different directions). Since you're now invisible your next attack will likely be a sneak attack, which lets you hit and move every round with 16 mirror images or you running around in all directions.

RavensLand
2016-06-01, 10:27 AM
That's a hell of a nasty combo. I really love the thought in game of popping out of invisibility with some really nasty spell.

Geddy2112
2016-06-01, 11:19 AM
Overall it looks like a very solid build. I would avoid arcane armor training-it eats a swift action, which is not a big deal now but it will matter a lot at higher levels. You can use mage armor to get the same bonus a mithral chain shirt will give, and if you want armor for enchantment you can get a haramaki for a +1 AC with no spell failure or penalty. At higher levels you have better things to do with a swift, and better sources of miss/evasion/AC. You also might be able to push your dex into the stratosphere, passing the max dex of even celestial chain.

I think you mean the magical knack trait. Between that and sanguine giving +1 Cl for undead, you are going to have full effect spells but you are still delayed a few levels as far as access to them.

16 int is probably overkill unless you really want to skillmonkey. I would maybe bring it down to 14 and bump wis to 12, the extra will save is a nice bonus. You can still max 4 key skills, and with all your rogue extras you have a rank in the class ones for the bonus. You could dump strength as well.

Any particular reason why you want to use daggers? Are you two weapon fighting or using the other hand to cast? If you are using 1 hand get a raiper, better crit range, dex to damage, better damage dice. A short sword works best for two weapon fighting. Chill touch is a great bonus spell to throw on your weapon, as it gets multiple attacks and will generally last a combat.

Improved initiative is always a good feat, and eldritch heritage requires skill focus but it can net you a familiar, which is always good. At higher levels you want a few metamagics a la carte. Spell focus is probably your best bloodline feat.

Also, I second the fast getaway-decoy ring combo.

RavensLand
2016-06-01, 12:00 PM
Gm rules that arcane armor doesn't eat a swift action. Though having no upper dex mod limit is appealing.

And yeah I worded that bit about spell casting poorly.

This will be a a bit more roleplay focuses so I'd like to have a variety of reliable skills.

I enjoy daggers thematically. But practically I can easily carry many of them. In a situation where I'm disarmed it's pretty reliable that you can find a dagger somewhere. And the option to throw them is gravy.

Eldritch heritage for a familiar sounds fun but I don't know if spending two feats is worth it when I can scout personally and don't have a terrible time getting into touch range. But it does give me an idea for a sorcerer in another game.

Geddy2112
2016-06-01, 12:51 PM
Gm rules that arcane armor doesn't eat a swift action. Though having no upper dex mod limit is appealing.

And yeah I worded that bit about spell casting poorly.

This will be a a bit more roleplay focuses so I'd like to have a variety of reliable skills.

I enjoy daggers thematically. But practically I can easily carry many of them. In a situation where I'm disarmed it's pretty reliable that you can find a dagger somewhere. And the option to throw them is gravy.

Eldritch heritage for a familiar sounds fun but I don't know if spending two feats is worth it when I can scout personally and don't have a terrible time getting into touch range. But it does give me an idea for a sorcerer in another game.

If arcane armor training won't eat an action then it becomes really viable. You can retrain it into another feat if your dex becomes too big for your armor. Nothing wrong with being skillheavy either. If you are going to do more throwing then dagger dex to damage becomes far more viable, although the chances of landing sneak attacks on those is less. And true you can scout and don't need the touch, but improved familiars are broken with the ability to fly, be invisible, commune once a week, and use wands/scrolls. Not as viable if the game won't go into higher levels, as your eldritch heritage is -2 to effective level limiting when you can grab the improved version.

RavensLand
2016-06-01, 02:12 PM
I forgot about them using wands. That could be interesting to use them as a pocket healer for a high HD undead.

RavensLand
2016-06-02, 06:28 AM
Update: taking heavy consideration on prestiging into arcane trickster since it won't hurt my spell casting besides missing bloodline spells but will give me more useful class features compared to the bloodline powers I'd be missing out on while also helping to progress my sneak attack damage.

Geddy2112
2016-06-02, 09:15 AM
I would go arcane trickster. You are mainly using the bloodline for a free +1 to necromancy spells anyways, and the rest of the bloodline powers are meh.