PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Patrons - The River King and The Star Forger [PEACH]

RyumaruMG
2016-05-31, 08:13 PM
Since I'm going to be running some League of Legends-themed D&D for my younger brother soon, I thought I'd write up some new mechanical options for characters. With that being said, I'm still pretty new to homebrewing for 5e, so I'd like to make sure this stuff is (relatively) balanced before running. I'd like to eventually put these out for more widespread use, but my immediate goal is to have these be usable without them being particularly over- or under-powered.

UPDATED 6/3

The River King
“All the world's one river, boy, and I am its king.”

Your patron is an ancient spirit of water and greed – one who offered you a deal in the dead of night by the riverside. “No need to discuss payment just yet,” he said. “I'll collect... in due time.” His charismatic and polite demeanor are magnetic, but there is an undercurrent of hunger lurking below this facade. He offered you power when you were at your lowest. His motives are simple, even though he tries to keep them hidden: he wants more. More people under his sway, more power to wield, more things to devour. Your familiar might be a crab or eel, if you take the Pact of the Chain. If you take the Pact of the Blade, your weapon might be a tarnished and coppery old sword, or a rusty harpoon. With the Pact of the Tome, your Book of Shadows might be a heavy vellum ship's journal or sheaf of waxed papers, filled with obtuse poetry and folklore that teaches you secrets, and stories of people your patron has helped... or “helped.”

Expanded Spell List
1st: Fog Cloud, Longstrider
2nd: Blur, Locate Object
3rd: Blink, Sleet Storm
4th: Control Water, Locate Creature
5th: Passwall, Teleportation Circle

Waterways of the World
Starting at 1st level, you can swim 30 feet per round without penalty. Additionally, you ignore difficult terrain created by deep water, the surface being soaked or slick, or icy ground.

Just Sign Here
Beginning at 6th level, you can invoke a contract with a willing humanoid - in exchange for granting a desire which the person names when it is invoked, they agree to return the favor at a later date. At any point within a year and a day of the desire being fulfilled, you can psychically contact the person and invoke the terms of the bargain. In doing so, you make a request of the person, following the guidelines of the geas spell. If the person refuses, they must succeed on a Charisma saving through against your Warlock spell save DC. On a successful save, they can ignore your command, and you can't contact them again for 24 hours. If they succeed on three consecutive saves, the contract is broken and you take 5d6 psychic damage. On a failed save, they must undertake the request or take 1d6 of psychic damage for every two warlock levels you possess. The person knows the consequences of a failed save, but not that they can break free. Upon fulfillment of the task you set for them, the contract is completed and you are no longer connected to the person. Just as with geas, the contract can be removed through the use of remove curse, greater restoration, or wish. You can only have one contract active at a time.

Thick Skin
Starting at 10th level, when you take nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, you can spend your reaction to gain temporary HP equal to the amount of damage you took. You must complete a short or long rest to use this feature again. Finally, you can now invoke a second contract through Just Sign Here, allowing you to have two contracts active at once.

Abyssal Voyage
Starting at 14th level, you and one other willing creature that you touch can teleport, without error, to a location either you or your target is “very familiar” with. If you are fulfilling a bargain for your target as per Just Sign Here, this location can count as “seen casually” or “viewed once” if it will fulfill the request. You must complete a short or long rest to use this power again. Finally, you can now invoke one more contract through Just Sign Here, allowing you to have three contracts active at once.

The main idea here was to combine some of Tahm Kench's skillset in League with the feeling of gradually becoming a crossroads demon in the service of one. The 10th and 16th level abilities are direct references to his kit. My main concern is the use of the 6th level ability - I'm not entirely sure how to balance it, especially since it hinges big-time on NPC interactions.

The Star Forger
“Which star is your favorite? I made that one.”

An ancient being, already old when stellar debris first coalesced into worlds, has made a deal with you. In exchange for the merest fraction of its awesome might, you are to help free it from the prison it has been trapped in. Vast, unknowable, and architect of the very universe, this being may think of you as mere cosmic dust, but it needs your help. The tasks you are given always have a clear end goal, even if the means by which it might come about are obtuse: A civilization long forgotten captured it, and now it wants to be free. Even now, countless centuries later, the barest mention of this civilization from your patron burns your mind with anger. With this patron, the familiar granted by the Pact of the Chain could occasionally glimmer with starlight or glow at night. The weapon granted by the Pact of the Blade could be a spear of pure starfire, or a knife that always shows the night sky. The Book of Shadows granted by the Pact of the Tome might be an astral codex, filled with complex star charts and astrological calculations, or it might be a collection of scraps of some unknown substance not unlike paper, scrawled over with what appear to be schematics too vast to fully comprehend.

Expanded Spell List
1st: Chromatic Orb, Guiding Bolt
2nd: Levitate, Moonbeam
3rd: Haste, Lightning Bolt
4th: Freedom of Movement, Fire Shield
5th: Circle of Power, Destructive Wave

Starsurge
Starting at 1st level, you can alter the properties of any spell you cast that deals fire damage, causing it to deal radiant damage instead. Additionally, if you know the eldritch blast cantrip, it now inflicts radiant damage instead of force damage. Finally, if you choose the Pact of the Blade, your pact weapon deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage.

Escape Velocity
Starting at 6th level, you can use your bonus action to leap up to 30 feet in any one direction, even if you are prone or restrained. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity during this leap, and you cannot change direction mid-leap – you must move in a straight line. Any enemies within five feet of you when you start this leap mus succeed on a Charisma saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be blinded until the end of their next turn. Once you have used this feature twice, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Blinding Majesty
Starting at 10th level, when an enemy attacks you, you can use your reaction to burn with the brilliance of the stars. You must declare your use of this feature after the attack is declared but before the result is determined. You impose disadvantage on the attacking creature, and if the attack misses, the attacking creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be blinded for 1 minute. The creature may attempt a new saving throw at the end of each of its turns.

Voice of Light
Starting at 14th level, you can breathe out a blast of searing starlight. Each creature in a 5 by 60 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. On a failed save, they take 7d10 radiant damage and must succeed on a secondary Charisma saving throw or be blinded for 1 minute. The creature takes half as much damage and is not blinded on a successful initial save. A creature affected by this power can attempt a new Charisma saving throw at the end of each of its turns to remove the blind effect. Creatures with light sensitivity or who are vulnerable to radiant damage have disadvantage on the saving throw. Once you have used this power, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

In League, Aurelion Sol is a very damage-heavy character, without a lot of defensive options, so I thought a fairly blasty spell selection combined with some freedom effects would feel appropriate to the character and his goals. My main concerns are the 1st and 10th level powers. 1st feels like it might actually be underwhelming, as I wasn't sure how to fit the overall flavor of being bound to a star dragon without being overpowered. 10th might be a little too usable for how useful it can be, although it's fair to say that it's useless against enemies with blindsight.

Amnoriath
2016-05-31, 11:03 PM
From a flavor standpoint these are brilliantly done but mechanically they falter in both ways.
1. The River King has two glaring issues. Favor for a Favor while in theory isn't really broken the real issue is that in order to use it you are deliberately changing the campaign at hand to quite possibly further change the campaign. What compounds it is that you can have up to 6 going on at once. Ultimately such an ability could not only be cumbersome to fully utilize it could undermine the point of the campaign. While the DM does have the final say here I view this ability either to be a little annoying just to be a ribbon or you using your high charisma on said charmed people to extort them on vast quests to fundamentally change the campaign. The other is that you gave them the War Cleric's 17th level+ at 10th level.
2. The Star Forger seems a little weak and kind of out of concept. The being you described is kind of like a Primordial or cosmic being that made the universe, but none of your abilities resemble that at all. The first two are also quite weak ultimately fire damage isn't utilized that much by a Warlock and you gave them at lot less fire spells than the Fiend. Also a Pact Weapon is always magical, so making it radiant isn't going to help much. Escape Velocity is outright weaker than Misty Escape(reaction, teleport 60 feet, and invisible). The 10th level feature feels like the basis for your 6th level. Than your final kind of nerfs itself with the two saves as well as the small line.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-01, 12:05 AM
1. The River King has two glaring issues. Favor for a Favor while in theory isn't really broken the real issue is that in order to use it you are deliberately changing the campaign at hand to quite possibly further change the campaign. What compounds it is that you can have up to 6 going on at once.

River King was intended to be a little wonky in that respect, as the idea was to give you a way to make the same kind of deals as the one you're subjected to. I'm used to designing for Exalted 2nd Edition so weird effects are more the norm than the exception there. Since my goal was to have a pact that had power in other areas than combat, I think changing the campaign is an acceptable use. Also, minor nitpick, but it caps at 5. 20/4=5.

The other is that you gave them the War Cleric's 17th level+ at 10th level.

See this is the kind of stuff I needed, as I hadn't even looked at the Cleric stuff. The ability this feature is aping basically gives Tahm Kench a pseudo-shield: when he takes damage, it doesn't immediate hit his hp, and it instead converts an equivalent amount of his hp into "gray health" that slowly decays. He can activate the ability to turn all of his gray health into a shield. How would you suggest I do that while preserving the flavor and general intent of the ability?

2. The Star Forger seems a little weak and kind of out of concept. The being you described is kind of like a Primordial or cosmic being that made the universe, but none of your abilities resemble that at all.

He's an imprisoned star dragon, so I figured radiant damage and "freedom" stuff would work well.

The first two are also quite weak ultimately fire damage isn't utilized that much by a Warlock and you gave them at lot less fire spells than the Fiend. Also a Pact Weapon is always magical, so making it radiant isn't going to help much.

Wasn't entirely sure how useful the fire/radiant thing would be, which is why I added on the other stuff. Also wasn't sure how damage typing on the Pact Weapon worked - should I maybe re-work it so that the weapon does bonus radiant damage? Admittedly this one is a bit more of a ribbon than the features offered by other pacts but I figured 1st level stuff could be tuned low.

Escape Velocity is outright weaker than Misty Escape(reaction, teleport 60 feet, and invisible). The 10th level feature feels like the basis for your 6th level. Than your final kind of nerfs itself with the two saves as well as the small line.

I considered letting Escape Velocity force a save-or-be-blinded effect. Think that plus a longer range would make it better? As for the final ability, I fused the Dragonborn breath weapon with the damage effects of Fire Storm. I think I'll make the blind part of the damage rather than a separate save (so a successful save is half damage and no blind) and make the line longer at the very least.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-01, 11:32 AM
Oh, also, my thought process on the River King 10th level power was that since dedicated casters get Stoneskin three levels before, giving this option a perma-stoneskin with an added feature wasn't too overly powerful. Point of fact, looking at the War Cleric 17th level benefit, it seems a little underwhelming.

Amnoriath
2016-06-01, 01:39 PM
Oh, also, my thought process on the River King 10th level power was that since dedicated casters get Stoneskin three levels before, giving this option a perma-stoneskin with an added feature wasn't too overly powerful. Point of fact, looking at the War Cleric 17th level benefit, it seems a little underwhelming.

Actually it isn't really, almost all things that rely on a natural attack aren't going to be magical. It is a bit more prevalent with those that use weapons but not as much as you would think. Either way it is one thing to say I have an ability that in most cases when used probably would be more effective than other it is another to steal it, add more, and put it up earlier.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-01, 02:04 PM
I'm not too familiar with how this system scales, so I may very well have underestimated the strength of a perma-Stoneskin. What about the rest of my responses? I'm curious to know what you'd suggest.

Amnoriath
2016-06-01, 02:04 PM
River King was intended to be a little wonky in that respect, as the idea was to give you a way to make the same kind of deals as the one you're subjected to. I'm used to designing for Exalted 2nd Edition so weird effects are more the norm than the exception there. Since my goal was to have a pact that had power in other areas than combat, I think changing the campaign is an acceptable use. Also, minor nitpick, but it caps at 5. 20/4=5.

See this is the kind of stuff I needed, as I hadn't even looked at the Cleric stuff. The ability this feature is aping basically gives Tahm Kench a pseudo-shield: when he takes damage, it doesn't immediate hit his hp, and it instead converts an equivalent amount of his hp into "gray health" that slowly decays. He can activate the ability to turn all of his gray health into a shield. How would you suggest I do that while preserving the flavor and general intent of the ability?

He's an imprisoned star dragon, so I figured radiant damage and "freedom" stuff would work well.

Wasn't entirely sure how useful the fire/radiant thing would be, which is why I added on the other stuff. Also wasn't sure how damage typing on the Pact Weapon worked - should I maybe re-work it so that the weapon does bonus radiant damage? Admittedly this one is a bit more of a ribbon than the features offered by other pacts but I figured 1st level stuff could be tuned low.

I considered letting Escape Velocity force a save-or-be-blinded effect. Think that plus a longer range would make it better? As for the final ability, I fused the Dragonborn breath weapon with the damage effects of Fire Storm. I think I'll make the blind part of the damage rather than a separate save (so a successful save is half damage and no blind) and make the line longer at the very least.

1. The bottom line is though is that they are charmed as well as being kind threatened with their life. Geas is not only potent in the tasks it can be asked of it, but also its duration and condition. As such you don't really need to have to give up major items because not only do you have advantage on Charisma checks against them. Additionally no other character or even 9th level spells have this kind meta-narrative change capability. Ultimately it is easier for both you and the player to simplify it because they don't have to give up big things and exploit the charmed condition while you don't have to worry about what their 6 effective minions are doing especially when there isn't a save. Yes, it is 6 because the ability does say "number of other creatures". You should also consider the Great Old One's final takes 1 minute, allows a save, can only be humanoid, and can only have 1.
2. This sounds like maybe it should have been your 6th level ability. This is the classic standard in how other Warlocks do their sub-classes. It could be something simple like this. "When you take damage as a reaction you can heal 1d10+warlock level+cha. modifier in hit points. Once this used you must complete a short or long rest to use it again." This frees your 10th level for something a little more fitting.
3. If it is just suppose to be a destructive being the name forger and other insinuations of knowledge as well as cosmic constructions that you made than you may need to redo the flavor.
4. Well it depends, if you want something constant than generally a utility ribbon is most useful and appropriate at this point. Though if you want something with more crunch a short or long rest burst damage would seem fitting.
5. As I said it is traditional to have some kind of reaction based burst ability.
6. Well this one needs some kind of utility to give it some character and depth. I am not saying it to replace your 14th, but your 10th.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-01, 07:10 PM
1. The bottom line is though is that they are charmed as well as being kind threatened with their life. Geas is not only potent in the tasks it can be asked of it, but also its duration and condition. As such you don't really need to have to give up major items because not only do you have advantage on Charisma checks against them. Additionally no other character or even 9th level spells have this kind meta-narrative change capability. Ultimately it is easier for both you and the player to simplify it because they don't have to give up big things and exploit the charmed condition while you don't have to worry about what their 6 effective minions are doing especially when there isn't a save. Yes, it is 6 because the ability does say "number of other creatures". You should also consider the Great Old One's final takes 1 minute, allows a save, can only be humanoid, and can only have 1.

I'll re-tweak it, since I didn't really consider the full implications of the charm effect on geas. I might just make it its own effect based on geas rather than just cribbing the effect wholesale. As for the number of targets, the intention was for 5, but it seems like I messed up on the wording. I'll drop it to one for now, and restrict it to humanoids (which I should have done in the first place). I might make it scale a bit with level; I'd like to have an "irons in the fire" feeling with it.

2. This sounds like maybe it should have been your 6th level ability. This is the classic standard in how other Warlocks do their sub-classes. It could be something simple like this. "When you take damage as a reaction you can heal 1d10+warlock level+cha. modifier in hit points. Once this used you must complete a short or long rest to use it again." This frees your 10th level for something a little more fitting.

The others I've talked to off-forum about it suggested keeping it as-is but making it a once-in-a-long-rest power, though I also like this idea.

3. If it is just suppose to be a destructive being the name forger and other insinuations of knowledge as well as cosmic constructions that you made than you may need to redo the flavor.

Maybe. I mean, he does forge stars, so destructive starfire seemed the right way to do it. My intention was for the flavor of the bonuses to be that you're directly channeling his wrath, majesty, and stellar fire, so I'll add some info to the fluff.

4. Well it depends, if you want something constant than generally a utility ribbon is most useful and appropriate at this point. Though if you want something with more crunch a short or long rest burst damage would seem fitting.

Hmmm. Taking it into consideration. I might do a bolt of radiance or something, or try to make this more utilitarian.

5. As I said it is traditional to have some kind of reaction based burst ability.

The other feedback I've gotten said that Blinding Majesty is actually kind of strong, given that the blind lasts for a full minute (basically the entire combat) if they don't save. It was suggested that I give the victims the ability to re-save each round. As for Escape Velocity, my second draft is leaning towards making it a reaction, adding a blinding flare that targets the attacker, and making it so you can use it twice before having to recharge it with a short rest.

6. Well this one needs some kind of utility to give it some character and depth. I am not saying it to replace your 14th, but your 10th.

Okay, sorry, I'm having a little trouble parsing this one. Is this a reaction to my proposed changes to Voice of Light or Escape Velocity?

RyumaruMG
2016-06-02, 04:13 PM
Alright, here's the new version of Favor for a Favor:

Just Sign Here
Beginning at 6th level, you can invoke a contract with a willing humanoid - in exchange for granting a desire which the person names when it is invoked, they agree to return the favor at a later date. At any point within a year and a day of the desire being fulfilled, you can psychically contact the person and invoke the terms of the bargain. In doing so, you make a request of the person, following the guidelines of the geas spell. If the person refuses, they must succeed on a Charisma saving through against your Warlock spell save DC. On a successful save, they can ignore your command, and you can't contact them again for 24 hours. If they succeed on three consecutive saves, the contract is broken and you take 5d6 psychic damage. On a failed save, they must undertake the request or take 1d6 of psychic damage for every two warlock levels you possess. The person knows the consequences of a failed save, but not that they can break free. Upon fulfillment of the task you set for them, the contract is completed and you are no longer connected to the person. Just as with geas, the contract can be removed through the use of remove curse, greater restoration, or wish. You can only have one contract active at a time.

Addendum to Thick Skin
Additionally, you can now invoke a second contract through Just Sign Here, allowing you to have two contracts active at once.

Addendum to Abyssal Voyage
Additionally, you can now invoke one more contract through Just Sign Here, allowing you to have three contracts active at once.

Amnoriath
2016-06-03, 09:56 AM
I think the ability itself needs to simple and put more focus on your dealings with your Patron rather than you acting like your patron more than he actually does in the game. I would move it to 10th level and put this here instead. "At 10th level the guile of the River King has permeated your words to where the king himself will listen to them with a price. You have advantage on Persuasion and Deception checks against any creature that you have made dealings worth and haven't cheated or swindled if they would know. Additionally you can beseech the River King himself for 1 minute after which non-magical items or possessions that you specify worth up to 200(warlock level) gold appears before you. Alternatively you may request a single magical item that isn't considered an artifact. Though once used you can only use it again 24 hours after you have repaid the value of said items."
Ultimately it is better you keep your other abilities as it rounds out your character much better rather than just being a puppeteer. If Geas is so important it is better that you just give them the spell in your bonus spells. I would take out Teleportation Circle since Abyssal Voyage is quite similar.

Amnoriath
2016-06-03, 10:12 AM
1. As for the Star Forger the name of your 1st ability does invoke that sense of burst damage as per why I suggested it. It also fits with the power theme it has going on. Though you could consider something like a light nimbus around you.
2. Again Blinding Majesty should be reordered into a reaction once per short or long rest
3. Well since this is about breaking free the 10th level should offer advantage on saves against being grappled, restrained, and prone. You could also just up your jumping speed to match your base speed.
4. Using the Dragonborn's power as a basis is just weak as a 14th level ability. Make it a 30 foot cone or 60 foot line and just make it a Con. save but those with light sensitivity or vulnerable to radiant damage have disadvantage on the save.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-06-03, 10:42 AM
Thick Skin
Starting at 10th level, you have resistance to non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. Additionally, when you take nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, you gain temporary HP equal to the amount of damage you took.

Isn't this FAR too powerful?

Let's assume we're fighting an Ancient Red Dragon that's attempting to maximize damage with its Legendary Actions as well. It's therefore making 6 attacks against us per round: three tail attacks, one bite, and two claws. I'll assume it rolls average damage.

That 19*3 for the tail attacks, 17*2 for the claws, and 21 damage + 14 fire damage from the bite. Total damage is 112 physical damage and 14 fire damage.

Now, with just the first part of this ability we'd take 56 damage less, for 56 damage and 14 fire damage.

With the entire thing? We take 56 physical damage + 14 fire damage but gain 56 temporary hit points, putting us only at 14 actual damage taken. That's a reduction of 98 damage, which is absurd.

I may be missing something, but this looks like an ability I wouldn't let a tank-focused character have, let alone a class already boasting some rather high damage. MAYBE if gaining temporary hit points was limited to once per short rest? Even then, though, the damage resistance portion seems over the top for this sort of character.

--------------

I'm also not sure the teleport without error ability should be at-will either, frankly. That's a powerful amount of mobility to have in a party.

RyumaruMG
2016-06-03, 05:31 PM
Updated the main post.

Changelog 6/3:

Swapped out River King 6th level power
Thick Skin no longer gives resistance, can only be used once per long or short rest
Abyssal Voyage now requires a short or long rest to recharge
Starsurge now adds radiant damage to Pact of the Blade weapon
Escape Velocity can now be used when prone or restrained, can be used twice before resting to recover it
Voice of Light area expanded to 5 by 60 foot line, imposes disadvantage on initial save for creatures with light sensitivity or vulnerability to radiant damage
Both Blinding Majesty and Voice of Light allow victims to attempt new saving throws to remove blind

Wulfskadi
2016-06-07, 02:55 PM
You might want to add water breathing to the spell list for a subclass that is water based

Ivellius
2016-06-07, 04:10 PM
I really like the idea for these--their inspirations make a lot of sense as pact makers.

I'd add some language for Thick Skin for how long the temp. hit points last. Otherwise this looks pretty good. The language for additional deals should probably just go into that feature instead of the others.

Your Star Forger patron abilities are usable too often. Starsurge is probably fine (maybe a smidge weak, but that's okay). Escape Velocity and Blinding Majesty should just be once every short rest. Voice of Light should be once every long rest.

Have a free homebrew pact in honor of your efforts here:

The Blade of War
"Some fight for honor; some fight for glory. It matters only that you fight."

Your patron is a demigod of bloodlust and battle. In a desperate moment, you needed aid, and you found his offer of power appealing. With his every slogan encouraging you to fight, you found yourself compelled to a furious rage. When the battle ended, he vanished--but his influence lingers in both the rage that still boils in your heart and the memories of the atrocities you committed in his name.

If you take the Pact of the Chain, your familiar might be a deadly serpent or a small mechanical warrior. If you take the Pact of the Blade, you might gain a sword that pulses with blood or a dark glaive whose corruption threatens to engulf your body. If you take the Pact of the Tome, you might receive an old battlemage manual with annotations written in blood or a collection of legends describing the boons those in the past have requested of your patron.

Expanded Spell List
1st: divine favor, inflict wounds
2nd: magic weapon, spiritual weapon
3rd: crusader's mantle, elemental weapon
4th: staggering smite, stoneskin
5th: Bigby's hand, cloudkill

Massacre
From 1st level, your patron inspires you to greater ferocity on the battlefield. When you use the Attack option, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Dark Flight
You can use the power provided by your patron to hurl yourself into battle, disrupting those around your landing zone. At 6th level, as an action you can launch yourself up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Hostile creatures adjacent to your landing space t must make a Strength saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or take bludgeoning damage equal to 10 + your warlock level and be knocked prone. A successful saving throw halves the damage dealt and prevents them from being prone. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Blood Well
You can call on your patron to save you even from death. At 10th level, when you would make a death saving throw you can instead spring to your feet, regaining hit points equal to half your maximum. You also gain resistance to damage until the start of your next turn. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Blood Price
The power of your patron augments your attacks even further, sapping life from your foes. When you hit with a melee weapon attack, you can use a bonus action to invoke the Blood Price, dealing an additional 2d6 necrotic damage and healing yourself for half of the bonus damage dealt. Instead of healing yourself, you can add the amount you would have healed as additional necrotic damage to the attack. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.