PDA

View Full Version : Weapon enhancement spells for Master Thrower

Lathund
2016-06-01, 03:39 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

In the campaign I'm in, we're given the opportunity to build several NPC's that will help us in the final battle. I'm currently working on a Master Thrower who throws loads of nonmagical shurikens (for $$$ reasons).

I'm looking for spells to enhance these with. So far, I have Flame Arrow and Greater Magic Weapon. The idea is that allied spellcasters will enhance the shurikens on the spot (projectile weapons, so 50 pieces per casting), after which the Master Thrower will take them and toss them around.

Ideas from all 3.5 sources are welcome. The character's level will be around 12, although there will be higher level spellcasters around if necessary.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 04:49 AM
Ever seen the fire shuriken spell? It's instantaneous, so spend a few days making them (using Empower and Maximize as you like), then inscribe them with explosive runes for more damage.

Wands are also very useful, especially for short-term, emergency use. 50 castings at a time is nothing to sneeze at, for some spells.

Lathund
2016-06-01, 10:10 AM
Of course wands are useful, but what spell to put in them?

Fire Shuriken looks like fun, but I'd blow through three castings of the spell for one round worth of shurikens, assuming caster level 15. A wand with affordable caster level would be even worse. I'd rather have spells that can be cast on existing shurikens instead of creating them with this spell.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 10:21 AM
Of course wands are useful, but what spell to put in them?

Fire Shuriken looks like fun, but I'd blow through three castings of the spell for one round worth of shurikens, assuming caster level 15. A wand with affordable caster level would be even worse. I'd rather have spells that can be cast on existing shurikens instead of creating them with this spell.A single wand can create 150d6-worth of fire shurikens, and tossing 6d6 force damage on via explosive runes should nab you some extra oomph on some of them.

weckar
2016-06-01, 10:33 AM
While you COULD use spells to enhance shuriken, you could also get two levels of Bloodstorm Blade in there and hurl greataxes instead.

AnimeTheCat
2016-06-02, 11:16 AM
A single wand can create 150d6-worth of fire shurikens, and tossing 6d6 force damage on via explosive runes should nab you some extra oomph on some of them.

Unfortunately the enemy has to read the explosive rune for it to get it's extra oomph. I don't know of many enemies that stop to take a look at the projectile sticking out of them and reading it. Its very comical and is probably an instant kill if you happen to fall in battle, but its not really feasible to think that you'll be getting an extra 6d6 force damage on every projectile when the target must read the rune for it to activate.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-02, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately the enemy has to read the explosive rune for it to get it's extra oomph. I don't know of many enemies that stop to take a look at the projectile sticking out of them and reading it. Its very comical and is probably an instant kill if you happen to fall in battle, but its not really feasible to think that you'll be getting an extra 6d6 force damage on every projectile when the target must read the rune for it to activate.Wouldn't causing the fire shurikens to dissipate upon striking an enemy erase the runes, thus causing them to explode?

Alternately, I suppose you could use fire seeds. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireSeeds.htm) Their potential for pain is pretty potent.

Double-alternatively, a few cheap manifestations of psionic minor creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm) for anything from packets of purified powdered capsaicin to apple amygdalin to black lotus extract to linamarin and lotaustralin (for a naturally occurring source of hydrogen cyanide, which, for anyone who knows little to nothing about the whaling industry, was used in small quantities to poison very large whales). There are tons of plant products which are horribly dangerous to pretty much any living thing.

Gildedragon
2016-06-02, 12:23 PM
Opt for returning (or augment crystal of return) daggers or a glove of daggers... Probably better unless you are going through the full 50 weapons

You could also have delicate disks attached to the shurikens... Or glyphs of warding
Or single use spell traps worked into the shuriken (triggered when the trap is destroyed)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-02, 01:00 PM
Out of everything so far, the psionic minor creation idea is by far the most economical. Doesn't really work against undead or constructs, but everything else is fair game. Just remember that you can make vegetable glycerin packets to hold the poisons and whatnot for quick delivery to the face of anything within 50' or so.

AnimeTheCat
2016-06-02, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't causing the fire shurikens to dissipate upon striking an enemy erase the runes, thus causing them to explode?

I don't think so because the RAW doesn't say anything about that triggering the spell effect.

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

The only trigger is reading them. Erasing them or breaking them (similar to a magic circle or something) would probably disrupt and discharge the spell with no ill effect. At least, that's how I see the rules. There are other spells that have specifically written rules on what happens in these situations. I guess it's ultimately up the the DM, but I wouldn't let it happen since the it specifically only says the runes detonate upon being read, not erased, damaged, or removed. That's just my opinion of what the rules say, and your opinion is in no way wrong, just a difference in perception :smallsmile:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-02, 04:07 PM
I don't think so because the RAW doesn't say anything about that triggering the spell effect.

The only trigger is reading them. Erasing them or breaking them (similar to a magic circle or something) would probably disrupt and discharge the spell with no ill effect. At least, that's how I see the rules. There are other spells that have specifically written rules on what happens in these situations. I guess it's ultimately up the the DM, but I wouldn't let it happen since the it specifically only says the runes detonate upon being read, not erased, damaged, or removed. That's just my opinion of what the rules say, and your opinion is in no way wrong, just a difference in perception :smallsmile:Err... Whitetext

...attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

pilvento
2016-06-02, 04:18 PM
Look for the Whisper Knife PrC, it upgrades your returning weapons so you can full attack with them and therefore resolving the dilema.