PDA

View Full Version : Contest Local Speakeasy Competition Chat: No Reservations necessary

ShiningStarling
2016-06-01, 04:27 AM
Welcome one and all to the 3.X Local Speakeasy, custodian of many Home Brews. Bring a new brew to the table, or have a taste of someone else's. The 'brews in this fine establishment are not your heavy Base Classes, or the ever popular 10 level Prestige Classes. Here patrons enjoy lighter fare: Feats, Skill Tricks or Uses, Spells, Powers, Invocations, Vestiges, Soulmelds, and Maneuvers for those looking to add a little flavor to their day, Alternate Class Features, Racial Substitution Levels, Prestige Classes of less than 5 levels, and Monsters for those seeking a bit more kick, and for guests of hearty guts, we also take and provide Alternate Rules for Magic and Combat.

Past Competitions

Contest
Name
First Place
Winner

I
To the Ruin of All (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489915-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-I-To-The-Ruin-of-All&styleid=2)
The Soul of Ruin, Fixed Sorcerer Lists & New Spells
Amechra, Jormengand

II
The Wild Side (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494640-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-II-The-Wild-Side)
The Wild (Ruleset)
Jormengand

II
Treacherous as the Sea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499162-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-III-Treacherous-as-the-Sea&p=21160782)
Soul of the Sea
Libro

Current Competition is...
Space, the Final Frontier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504117-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-IV-The-Final-Frontier&p=21326616#post21326616)

Chat your hearts out! Just go easy on the local brew, some people have some pretty strong stills.

Jormengand
2016-06-01, 09:52 AM
Well, I've posted a thing. Tier 3 sorcerers without having to do much effort, yay!

ShiningStarling
2016-06-01, 02:23 PM
Hooray for first entry! Looking solid, though I always thought fixed-listing a sorcerer basically made them worse versions of the specialized casters (warmages, beguiled, etc.) Still a good way to depower them though

sengmeng
2016-06-11, 01:40 PM
Hello, I've added my own entry to the contest so Jormengand doesn't go unopposed. His assured victory would seem pretty hollow if I didn't :smallbiggrin:

Jormengand
2016-06-11, 02:00 PM
Hello, I've added my own entry to the contest so Jormengand doesn't go unopposed. HisIts assured victory would seem pretty hollow if I didn't :smallbiggrin:

Well, true. That does of course mean that I have to add more to my entry so that I can make sure that I win. :smalltongue:

ShiningStarling
2016-06-11, 11:40 PM
I was thinking of adding my own entry soon... I don't know how much of a faux pas that would be on the forums though. Would anyone object? Naturally we won't be able to vote for ourselves anyhow.

Amechra
2016-06-12, 12:14 AM
So I threw my hat in the ring with the Soul of Ruin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489915-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-I-To-The-Ruin-of-All&p=20881552#post20881552) - no skill list, yet.

It focuses on making Destruction Devotion really scary.

Jormengand
2016-06-12, 05:22 AM
I have no objection to you entering, Livvi, especially given the way voting's handled.

Also, I have to go up against Amechra? Well, okay, I might have to redo my entry and make it awesome, then.

ShiningStarling
2016-06-16, 10:31 PM
So apparently, I was a big goof, and didn't even check my template spoilers. Turns out, the code tags don't prevent parsing, so they weren't really much of a template at all. This has now been resolved, thanks to reviewing Temotei's templates. Apologies for any inconvenience the lack of templates may have caused.

Also, welcome to the competition Amechra and Browse :D

Just to Browse
2016-06-16, 10:45 PM
Happy to join. As it turns out, making optimization-friendly destruction effects is tough when they're at will. It was very fun to test those abusive combos!

ShiningStarling
2016-06-17, 12:46 AM
Speaking of abusive combos, I have just posted 3 metamagic feats aimed at bringing lifeless things to their metaphorical (or at least artificial) knees. No idea how abused they could be, I'm almost positive I worded something wrong, though my double-checks assure me 'tis not so. May add more, but then again may not! Any criticism welcome :3

Grand Arbiter
2016-06-29, 04:10 PM
Would it be ok if I submit an entry based upon the Protoss Purifiers from Blizzard Entertainment's Legacy of the Void? (If I can finish it before the contest closes)

ShiningStarling
2016-06-29, 04:48 PM
As long as it's on theme I don't see why not. See site policies and rules for stuff about copyright, etc. Good luck!

Grand Arbiter
2016-06-30, 10:06 PM
I managed to pull together an entry.:smallbiggrin:

Please PEACH away. The contest will end in a few hours, but I appreciate any and all commentary.

EDIT: Is it too late to tweak/add a few things?

ShiningStarling
2016-07-02, 02:18 PM
Well, my feeling sick delayed the end of the contest, or at least the official closing post. I shall post the voting thread when I get home, phones are poor for tables and links.

ShiningStarling
2016-07-06, 12:49 AM
Update: the voting thread is up, it is linked in the bottom of the contest, as well as here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493837-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-I-To-the-Ruin-of-All&p=20968635#post20968635), and in my sig. Thanks again Libro for hastening! ^-^

Bit of a short window for voting, but I want to keep the contest as snappy as possible, at least as snappy as a month and a half per contest can be...

Grand Arbiter
2016-07-07, 09:23 AM
Any commentary on the Taldar? I intend to work on them more once voting is done, but I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. I'm aiming for LA +0.

Amechra
2016-07-07, 09:46 AM
Any commentary on the Taldar? I intend to work on them more once voting is done, but I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. I'm aiming for LA +0.

Everything looks more or less fine - you might want to comb back through for typos. The only place I actually noticed missing rules was in the Advanced Plating feat (which should be marked as a [Racial] feat).

Grand Arbiter
2016-07-07, 10:21 AM
Everything looks more or less fine - you might want to comb back through for typos. The only place I actually noticed missing rules was in the Advanced Plating feat (which should be marked as a [Racial] feat).

I'll read back through and check for spelling/grammar errors.

Advanced plating was there to help provide armor like the Adamantine plating feat warforged can get. I'll probably need to reword it, or I may do away with it entirely...
I found the Pathfinder Ironborn (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/ironborn) and Gearforged (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/kobold-press/gearforged) races, and thought about making the Taldar more customizable. Something such that each one was constructed to fit a specific role; made to be front-line warriors, arcane casters, manifesters, etc.
It would be a lot more work, but does it sound like a good idea?

Amechra
2016-07-07, 10:27 AM
Warforged only have that particular set of feats because they can't normally wear armor. It feels like it comes out of left field for the Taldar. They can buy armor like the rest of us.

And if you want to throw in more customization, go for it. It's your project.

Just to Browse
2016-07-07, 11:17 AM
I can throw some feedback once the contest closes if you remind me / I remember.

ShiningStarling
2016-07-14, 01:27 PM
Only 9.5 hours left to vote, hurry hurry!

Amechra
2016-07-14, 09:27 PM
I hate voting for these kinds of things.

Hate it so much.

ShiningStarling
2016-07-15, 01:18 AM
The voting is a bit... weird, I must confess, but otherwise its less of a competition and more of a themed brew... which you know, would be fine with me.

NEW VOTE:
Will subsequent Local Speakeasy brews be with or without voting?
Voting on this matter not required to participate, but would be appreciated :3

Jormengand
2016-07-15, 01:22 AM
For me, the voting gives people a formal reason to say whether they like what I've done or not, which is helpful. Yes, you might get people tactically voting, but... oh well? Also, at least for me, it's more fun to win these competitions than it is unfun to lose.

ShiningStarling
2016-07-15, 01:43 AM
I tend to agree Jorm, though I think I'm going to abstain from voting on this matter myself, as I would be satisfied with either outcome.

Also, New one posted HERE! (http://goo.gl/GAMh6Q) Also in my sig or whatever floats your buoyancy operated aquatic transport :smallwink:

Flavor of the month: WILD

Happy brewing! ^.^

Amechra
2016-07-15, 02:48 AM
It's actually just that I'm really indecisive, so picking between a bunch of options is a pain.

Hmm... I might have an idea...

Grand Arbiter
2016-07-15, 04:10 PM
@LordOfCain: Is the 10 rounds for the Wild Flight Feat per day or just consecutively?

LordOfCain
2016-07-15, 04:50 PM
@LordOfCain: Is the 10 rounds for the Wild Flight Feat per day or just consecutively?

Consecutively. I will change that in the post to make it more clear.

Jormengand
2016-07-15, 06:35 PM
I did a thing I guess...

Just to Browse
2016-07-16, 05:53 PM
I think voting is good. Getting some sort of recognition on the internet is a good encouragement to participate, and I agree with Jorm that tactical voting isn't something that really concerns me because the stakes are pretty low.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-14, 07:10 PM
Threw my 2cp into the hat in WILD, may add a little more if I can think of something for Rangers... only a day or so left to enter before voting starts!

Grand Arbiter
2016-08-15, 08:36 AM
I may throw in another thing or two later, but I think I'm ready for PEACHing if anybody is willing and able.

Also, maybe it would be a good idea to link to previous contests in the opening post, like they do for the base class competition.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-16, 02:49 AM
Second contest over and done, voting thread has opened here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?497656-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-II-The-Wild-Side&p=21108144#post21108144).

Also, OP now will contain past competitions, and has been updated with the first competition ^-^

ShiningStarling
2016-08-24, 06:04 PM
One week left to vote.

Also, until I actually make a list of themes, I will be taking suggestions for future competitions.

Grand Arbiter
2016-08-31, 09:44 PM
The link in the OP goes to the first base class competition, instead of the first speakeasy competition.

As for theme suggestions:
Invention, The Planes, The Sea, Winter/Ice/Cold, Evolution.

Zaydos
2016-09-01, 01:33 AM
I will always vote for anything that encourages me to delve back into Monte Cook's Planescape books.

Other possibilities:

Order, Cats, Space, Time, Comedy (or Humor), Subterranean.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-01, 04:44 AM
The link in the OP goes to the first base class competition, instead of the first speakeasy competition.

As for theme suggestions:
Invention, The Planes, The Sea, Winter/Ice/Cold, Evolution.

Woopsiedoodles, will fix.

New contest will go up within 24 hours, suggestions have been taken into consideration. Will now sleep as the words drift through an uncaring cosmos before being returned to me by an Extraplanar bean counter who got rather cross at all these thematic suggestions getting in his hummus, he was just preparing it for his guests and really it was rude of me to leave them floating around like that.

Zaydos
2016-09-01, 10:56 AM
Drat I was going to throw out the suggestion of Deities and Demigods or Religions, but I guess it'd be rude to throw it into someone's hummus.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-01, 11:47 AM
New contest up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499162-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-III-Treacherous-as-the-Sea&p=21160782)

Thanks for the suggestions, the earthy flavor of hummus really brought the ideas home for me, literally. Even took a suggestion. Cause dat's how I be. When it's the morning and I just woke up and can't sit and brainstorm for half an hour. x_X

Zaydos
2016-09-01, 12:31 PM
Would making a series of Naval Substitution levels for different classes be acceptable?

ShiningStarling
2016-09-01, 12:47 PM
Absolutely, series of things are to be encouraged :3

Also, in my sleepy state, I forgot to congratulate Jormengand on the win, and Libro on tying with me for 2nd. Good work peeps! ^-^

Zaydos
2016-09-01, 05:08 PM
Absolutely, series of things are to be encouraged :3

Also, in my sleepy state, I forgot to congratulate Jormengand on the win, and Libro on tying with me for 2nd. Good work peeps! ^-^

Edit: Decided to scrap the whole substitution levels idea. Left up some new soulmelds based upon aquatic magical beasts, may leave them there, or might end up making some new aquatic improved familiar options or something.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-22, 04:19 PM
I may throw in a few ACFs this weekend.

On the topic of entries, would alternate druids be permitted?
Urban Druid is closest example that comes to mind.
Stormlord Druid:
lose animal companion and wild shape.
Spell list would be restricted.
They would gain an electricity-based attack(s), full BAB, some storm stuff

Druid of the mists:
Illusion/Divination focused.
Would also likely lose animal companion and wild shape,
Altered spell list
Some mist/concealment abilities. Maybe lower the BAB

I may or may not get around to writing them, but I'd like to know for future reference.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-22, 05:06 PM
I may throw in a few ACFs this weekend.

On the topic of entries, would alternate druids be permitted?
Urban Druid is closest example that comes to mind.
Stormlord Druid:
lose animal companion and wild shape.
Spell list would be restricted.
They would gain an electricity-based attack(s), full BAB, some storm stuff

Druid of the mists:
Illusion/Divination focused.
Would also likely lose animal companion and wild shape,
Altered spell list
Some mist/concealment abilities. Maybe lower the BAB

I may or may not get around to writing them, but I'd like to know for future reference.

ACFs and archetypes are just fine

Temotei
2016-09-23, 05:28 AM
Would items be okay for this?

ShiningStarling
2016-09-23, 03:39 PM
Would items be okay for this?

Absolutely, was considering some myself. The list i give may have a lot of specific things, but really it just means no base classes and no normal length PrCs

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-24, 11:49 AM
I made something (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21237056&postcount=4). :smallbiggrin:

A Favored Soul variant for aquatic-themed campaigns. (The druid ideas were coming way too close to being base classes.)

Thoughts/Opinions? There probably are things I can do to make it better, so fire away.

Maybe a thing or two for a bard soon.

MrNobody
2016-09-27, 11:17 AM
Are pirates enough sea-related to make pirate themed ACFs suitable entries.
If not, if you are asking for a more water related entries, would be an items collections ("gifts from the sea") accepted, even if item are not listed in the contest description?

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-27, 11:23 AM
See post two above yours(#47). I think either should be fine.

Edit: By the way, I have a link to your alternate prestige class features in my homebrewer's signature. They're pretty cool.

MrNobody
2016-09-27, 03:18 PM
See post two above yours(#47). I think either should be fine.

Edit: By the way, I have a link to your alternate prestige class features in my homebrewer's signature. They're pretty cool.

I really don't know how i could have missed it! Thanks Libro! I wait for an answer regarding pirates to decide what to post (if i have the time to write something).

And thanks also for your kind words, i'm really happy you liked my APFs. I may go on with new features in the near future, so stay tuned :)
Also, feel free to pm me if you have any particular comment regarding them!

Zaydos
2016-09-27, 03:21 PM
Are pirates enough sea-related to make pirate themed ACFs suitable entries.
If not, if you are asking for a more water related entries, would be an items collections ("gifts from the sea") accepted, even if item are not listed in the contest description?

When I was still doing Racial Substitution Levels I had a few pirate themed ones in there (also had a warlock substitution level for riding a hell kraken) so I'd say it probably would work.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-27, 05:10 PM
It is in fact a Sea theme, not just water, Pirates are perfectly fine.

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 08:04 PM
Hmmm...do I have it in me to put together a (possibly slipshod) alternate spell casting system for ocean themed campaigns in the next three days?

Probably not, but that's where my brain is going. I should really watch the Homebrew forum more.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-29, 03:56 AM
Welp, the rampaging chaos spirit that has been intermittently controlling me has struck, hard. I spent about 6 hours on and off working on "Yet Another Fighter Fix" (or whatever it should be called), rather than on an entry for my own contest, despite there only being less than 48 hours to go, which I then lost all my progress on right before I was going to save and call it a night. The universe hates me. I'll try to throw something into the contest tomorrow, though honestly with the amount of time I've procrastinated and then summarily lost part of what was left, can't promise much. Needed to vent. Grrr.

Temotei
2016-09-29, 06:13 AM
I posted a few items.

I'll do the descriptions tomorrow (today, really, but I haven't slept yet) and maybe post a few more, but the entry is basically passable in its current form.

Jormengand
2016-09-29, 09:33 AM
Sorry I only spent like half an hour on this... deadline's the same for the base class competition, after all, and my entry for that still isn't done...

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-29, 10:13 AM
Sorry I only spent like half an hour on this... deadline's the same for the base class competition, after all, and my entry for that still isn't done...

Still pretty good work.

I think you may have left some extra table code in there, though.

Jormengand
2016-09-29, 12:00 PM
Still pretty good work.

I think you may have left some extra table code in there, though.

Ah, right, yes. Sorted that, thanks.

ShiningStarling
2016-09-30, 05:56 PM
Welp, finished my artfacts, hope they ok.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-30, 06:05 PM
They seem pretty cool.

I'd thought about adding in more to my entry, but ideas and time have not been as plentiful as I hoped.

Temotei
2016-10-02, 01:40 AM
Didn't get to add in descriptions of the items, but meh. Not a big deal. Do we know what the next theme will be yet?

sirpercival
2016-10-02, 07:49 AM
Ooh, this looks fun. I shall partake in the next contest :)

ShiningStarling
2016-10-03, 03:17 AM
Voting thread up soon, next theme will probably be either The Stars or The Planes.

Zaydos
2016-10-03, 03:19 AM
Are you making me pick between Spelljammer and Planescape? You fiend!

I'd say the Planes, but I always vote the Planes if they're an option... though given it's October and I'll only be phoning in an entry, the Stars.

sirpercival
2016-10-03, 04:22 AM
Voting thread up soon, next theme will probably be either The Stars or The Planes.

Are you making me pick between Spelljammer and Planescape? You fiend!

Seriously!

I have to vote for The Stars, though, because the Astronomer always needs more content.

Jormengand
2016-10-03, 06:32 AM
I have to vote for planes, because no-one entered the stars contest last time. :smalltongue:

Grand Arbiter
2016-10-03, 07:56 AM
The planes would be cool, but I vote for The Stars.

ShiningStarling
2016-10-04, 04:29 PM
Voting has begun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502596-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-III-Treacherous-as-the-Sea&p=21270800#post21270800)! :3

Temotei
2016-10-05, 01:16 PM
Voting has begun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502596-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-III-Treacherous-as-the-Sea&p=21270800#post21270800)! :3

I should probably apologize for not naming my entry, but you came up with a pretty sweet name, so I'm almost happy that I didn't. :smalltongue:

ShiningStarling
2016-10-13, 10:47 PM
I should probably apologize for not naming my entry, but you came up with a pretty sweet name, so I'm almost happy that I didn't. :smalltongue:

Glad you liked the name :3

Oceanic Artifacts. We could use more artifacts. Their high ego scores (notably high enough they needed a note to lower them to actually use them in a game) counted against them, though.

Glad you liked them, and yes the ego scores were a bit of a sticking point to me. For me, they are characters in their own right, and are intended to have agency, but in a campaign where they are not intended to basically be pretty powerful NPCs, their egos should be lower so as to let players use them. I couldn't decide which to put in the entry, so I went with my heart and left a note... so what I'm saying is they're quest items I guess ><

Also, 1 day left to vote

Temotei
2016-10-15, 04:05 PM
If we extend the voting due date until tonight, I can get mine in. Forgot about it. :smallredface:

ShiningStarling
2016-10-15, 05:23 PM
while there may be a date and time posted, really it's open till I close it, so go ahead

Temotei
2016-10-15, 06:25 PM
Sweet. Finished voting. I noticed that in my entry I didn't cite Races of Stone for the gnome battle cloak. Whoops.

Had a really tough time picking between aquatic champion and pelagic meldshaping for most likely to see play. I'm more likely to use pelagic meldshaping, but I'm the only one in my group who actually does meldshaping, and I think that's not atypical, so the aquatic champion won there.

ShiningStarling
2016-10-18, 03:12 PM
Alright y'all, space or planes?

Grass on the win Libro, and all other winners :3

Jormengand
2016-10-18, 05:13 PM
I like the idea of space, personally.

sirpercival
2016-10-18, 05:24 PM
Question (which applies to either theme): is it the case that only material specifically called out in the contest post is allowed (like feats, invocations, etc)? Or could we submit similar material based on homebrewed subsystems?

Jormengand
2016-10-18, 05:36 PM
Question (which applies to either theme): is it the case that only material specifically called out in the contest post is allowed (like feats, invocations, etc)? Or could we submit similar material based on homebrewed subsystems?

I created some new spell lists, which weren't listed as a thing, as well as a list of rules for being in the wilderness. It should be fine.

ShiningStarling
2016-10-18, 06:26 PM
I created some new spell lists, which weren't listed as a thing, as well as a list of rules for being in the wilderness. It should be fine.

@sirpercival, this is correct. So in essense, the answer to your question is the latter.

Grand Arbiter
2016-10-18, 07:26 PM
Alright y'all, space or planes?

Grass on the win Libro, and all other winners :3
Space.

Thank you.

Should it be seaweed instead of grass? :smalltongue:

ShiningStarling
2016-10-18, 08:13 PM
Should it be seaweed instead of grass? :smalltongue:

... I despise autocorrect. It was supposed to be Grats. If you prefer, you may have grass or seaweed instead of grats.

That said, the consensus seems to be space, I shall inform the pastry chefs and towel manufacturers, along with the multitudes of mischievous bark gnomes. I ask for anyone of at least 5th level in an arcane spellcasting class to place their wards on me for a safeguard... I would do it myself but they can smell the fear in my spells.

Zaydos
2016-10-18, 08:29 PM
What if we lack class levels but possess racial 9th+ level spells with wizard-style casting from the sorcerer and druid lists?

Temotei
2016-10-18, 09:02 PM
... I despise autocorrect. It was supposed to be Grats. If you prefer, you may have grass or seaweed instead of grats.

Aw. I thought it was kind of...hmm. Cute? I guess. I like it, regardless.

sirpercival
2016-10-18, 09:10 PM
What if we lack class levels but possess racial 9th+ level spells with wizard-style casting from the sorcerer and druid lists?

OR, what if our children own several plastic magic wand toys? Does that count?

Zaydos
2016-10-18, 09:17 PM
If we go space I almost want to make a menagerie of illithid, neogi, and beholder kin, slaves, and weaponry for their spacefaring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid#Illithids_in_Spelljammer) empires (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Spelljammer) and origins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_Spelljammer#Neogi). It's a bad idea, though.

ShiningStarling
2016-10-19, 12:56 AM

That'll do

ShiningStarling
2016-10-22, 12:04 PM
New contest is up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504117-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-IV-The-Final-Frontier&p=21326616#post21326616). Apologies for the delay, the pastry chefs refused to have their buns warmed by the towel manufacturer's warm towels... for once the bark gnomes were perfectly peaceable though. Weird.

Zaydos
2016-10-22, 02:34 PM
Ok, I'm thinking of going Voyage of the Space Beagle/Star Trek the Original Series on people, and making my entry in the form of a spelljamming vessel's log, exploring new planets, and showcasing new Martial Maneuvers, Spells, Soulmelds, Vestiges, etc that they found along the way.

I'd make Star Trek TOS vestiges but I've done that. Well for the big two, not for Bones or Scotty or Sulu.... I could round out the enterprise crew... but space log...

Edit: Oooh I could call it Voyages of the Space Cooshee or Voyages of the Space Blink Dog! As a fun little bit Voyage of the Space Beagle was the origin of Displacer Beasts which are the arch-nemeses of Blink Dogs.

Goal would be to create one piece of brew for each official class (outside maybe Artificer, and Dragon Comp). Now some of it might be usable by multiple classes. I mean a Rogue feat can be taken by someone else unless it says 'Prereq Rogue level...' and I'm fine with that, but I'd make it with a single class in mind (although for example the Wizard thing would probably be a utility spell, sorcerers can use utility spells too).

sirpercival
2016-10-22, 07:48 PM
I just know that I want to do something Astronomer related. Any ideas, anyone?

Jormengand
2016-10-23, 10:38 AM
I've started on something relatively short. I might add some more at some point.

Zaydos
2016-10-23, 11:36 AM
I have ran into the problem of I can't find a good 3e conversion* of core spelljammer rules that doesn't just say 'use the 2e ones', they aren't wholly compatible and thus need conversion :smallannoyed:

I may end up having to convert core principles of Spelljammer to 3.5 (how gravity works, how air works, how ships work) and then to make new stuff for it. At least unlike the previous attempts that were easily found ships should be easy since there are vehicle rules now.

*Polyhedron's Spelljammer rules do not count as a conversion, but a butchering of the spirit of the setting and the spirit of adventure in general.

sirpercival
2016-10-23, 02:53 PM
I have ran into the problem of I can't find a good 3e conversion* of core spelljammer rules that doesn't just say 'use the 2e ones', they aren't wholly compatible and thus need conversion :smallannoyed:

I may end up having to convert core principles of Spelljammer to 3.5 (how gravity works, how air works, how ships work) and then to make new stuff for it. At least unlike the previous attempts that were easily found ships should be easy since there are vehicle rules now.

*Polyhedron's Spelljammer rules do not count as a conversion, but a butchering of the spirit of the setting and the spirit of adventure in general.

I have The Spelljammer as a 2/3 complete monster class over on mmx. Want a link?

Zaydos
2016-10-23, 03:03 PM
I have The Spelljammer as a 2/3 complete monster class over on mmx. Want a link?

Nah, it's not the big ship itself (though seeing as how I have half the Legend of the Spelljammer box set sitting next to the computer* I'm probably going to make some reference to it), it's the stuff that actually is simple to convert or which sort of has 3.x rules that differ from 2e Spelljammer's that need noting.

Like ship speed, was 500 yards/SR/round. Or converting from ship turns to player turns 250 yards, or twice the speed of a PC (this was also back when Round = Minute). But now speeds are typically increased, and you can run and vehicles can't so if you did a direct conversion you'd end up with SR 1 ships being slower than a sprinting person (with the run feet or boots of striding and leaping). You could make it 1500 ft/SR/round but that makes them insanely fast, so I have to figure out a good compromised (100 ft per SR, capable of double move like any vehicle, so really 200-ft which is still faster than 2e).

Or ship combat which functioned in many weird and counterintuitive ways, ways that don't convert to 3e game logic (hull points vs hit points, which was fairly common in 2e, structures took damage differently, but not so in 3.x where everything has hp).

Shouldn't actually take long, since I'm going to do the minimum (not convert every ship in existence), but I'm not sure whether I should include it in the entry (because it's sort of necessary for using space combat and things like the paladin ACF to call a spelljamming vessel instead of a mount need it), or make it it's own thread and just link it.

*I lost one of the books in hard copy, not sure what happened to it.

sirpercival
2016-10-31, 08:50 AM
OK I think I'm starting to get a handle on what I want to do here.

What do you guys think of a class variant for the Astronomer, where instead of Constellations & Astrolabe Techniques, you get astronomy-themed soulmelds? You'd get to pick an Inferior Conjunction per chakra bind (there are 10 chakras, and 10 inferior conjunctions, hmmm....).

sirpercival
2016-11-05, 10:06 AM
As I start writing this in earnest, I wanted to verify: is a class variant (which is a little more extensive than an ACF) acceptable for entry? It'd be replacing 3 class features, and granting access to a new subsystem.

ShiningStarling
2016-11-05, 03:20 PM
As I start writing this in earnest, I wanted to verify: is a class variant (which is a little more extensive than an ACF) acceptable for entry? It'd be replacing 3 class features, and granting access to a new subsystem.

Absolutely

sirpercival
2016-11-10, 08:07 AM
Okie dokes, the Soul Refractor has been posted!

ShiningStarling
2016-11-18, 12:40 PM
For Reasons, extending contest to the 31st.

Grand Arbiter
2016-11-18, 01:58 PM
Gonna guess that's because there are only two submissions.:smallwink:

College decided to wreak havoc with my free time. I'll try to put something together soon.

sirpercival
2016-11-18, 03:17 PM

No worries!

Anyone have comments on the Soul Refractor?

ShiningStarling
2016-12-05, 04:45 AM
Well, real life conspired to kick me hard enough that I didn't realize that November doesn't have a 31st until December 2nd. For reasons (including low entry count) The contest will continue to run til New Year, when it will end come the Infinite layers of the Abyss or the Elemental Plane of Water. At that point the contest format will change slightly, in that the voting will overlap with the beginning of new contests, such that we may have 1 contest each month, ramping up the pace slightly. Happy Holidays everyone, and I hope to see some Cool Space Stuff :3