PDA

View Full Version : Stop 'em in their tracks!

weckar
2016-06-01, 07:26 AM
So, I am not sure whether this is mechanically possible and I'm not enough of a source hound to find out.
I want to build a character (NPC) whose main strategy is hitting people who try to pass by him, stopping their movement. I was thinking of using a reach weapon for this, preferably a halberd.

To accomplish this I likely need two feats:
1. a feat that grants reach weapons a non-reach threat zone IN ADDITION to their usual.
2. a feat that, when an attack of opportunity hits, ends the opponent's movement.

I am pretty sure both of these exist (and is a halberd even statted anywhere?) but I can't think of a name or anything. In addition to the above, it would be really nice if they could get extra AoOs on top of what Combat Reflexes offers (or for a character lex Dex-inclined).

I don't mean for them to be a major threat, but rather an effective mobile wall/Jello Bowl.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 07:35 AM
Halberd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#halberd) (though guisarme (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#guisarme) is better)

Use unarmed strike or a gauntlet for adjacent enemies.

Improved Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTrip)

Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown)

weckar
2016-06-01, 07:54 AM
That 10 points or more of damage is rather a hurdle. And I don't think I can hit unarmed for that much (especially since both hands would be holding the weapon!).

Still, trip is an interesting option I had not considered. I'd prefer a straight stop (no extra rolls, and no need for them to go prone) but it's an option for now.

Also, tell me if I read this wrong: Does Knock-Down invite a potential trip loop when enemies can't move away from you to stand up?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 08:05 AM
That 10 points or more of damage is rather a hurdle. And I don't think I can hit unarmed for that much (especially since both hands would be holding the weapon!).You can let go of a weapon with one hand as a free action, or you can make an unarmed strike as a kick, headbutt, shoulder-slam, etc. And if you have a reasonable Strength score and a +1 collision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision) gauntlet, it wouldn't take much to reach 10 points of damage.

Still, trip is an interesting option I had not considered. I'd prefer a straight stop (no extra rolls, and no need for them to go prone) but it's an option for now.

Also, tell me if I read this wrong: Does Knock-Down invite a potential trip loop when enemies can't move away from you to stand up?I don't think you can trip someone when they're already prone via an AoO, since the AoO takes place before they stand up, so tripping wouldn't do much. However, standing up and moving 10' or more to attack you would provoke two AoOs, and if you have Combat Reflexes, you could take advantage of both to deal damage.

Also, note that you can combine Improved Trip and Knock-Down. You deal 10 points of damage, which provokes a trip attempt, and the trip attempt gives you a free attack. So each Knock-Down trip gives you two attacks against an enemy you successfully knock down.

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:12 AM
From what I can tell there's nothing preventing you from tripping someone who is already prone - which leads me to a scary line of thought...
You trip someone, getting a free attack. Your attack hits for 10+ so you get a free trip. Which gives you a free attack...

BUT back to the topic (and build) at hand. :smallsmile:

zergling.exe
2016-06-01, 08:14 AM
Stand Still from the Expanded Psionic Handbook (it's not a psionic feat though) allows you to force a Reflex save against opponents leaving your threatened space (so if the go from 10 ft to 5 ft with a reach weapon) and if they fail they cannot move the rest of the turn. The 3.0 version is better at walling than the 3.5 version as it stops them before they enter (or leave) your threatened area, but it is a psionic feat.

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:23 AM
Stand Still looks like it could make for a nice combo with Knockback for large creatures. Stop them and knock them back with a single move, so they have to start over...

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 08:26 AM
Stand Still looks like it could make for a nice combo with Knockback for large creatures. Stop them and knock them back with a single move, so they have to start over...If you take Jotunbrud, you count as Large for maneuvers, which means you could have a Tiny creature that can layeth the smack down on Huge critters and send them flying.

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:28 AM
Jotunbrod does not in fact qualify for Knockback though, on account of not actually making you large (or even granting powerful build, strictly).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 08:32 AM
Jotunbrod does not in fact qualify for Knockback though, on account of not actually making you large (or even granting powerful build, strictly).Well, you can qualify for feats you only sometimes qualify for, such as a druid taking Improved Natural Attack (Claws), but you don't get the benefits until you actually qualify. Luckily, you count as Large when you'd actually use Knockback, so that shouldn't be a problem.

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:47 AM
Jotunbrod will never allow you to trigger Knockback. Their advantage comes in on the free bull rush attempt, but they never qualify to even MAKE that attempt.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-01, 08:51 AM
Jotunbrod will never allow you to trigger Knockback. Their advantage comes in on the free bull rush attempt, but they never qualify to even MAKE that attempt.You count as Large when making bull rushes, thus you qualify for Knockback when making the bull rush attempt. It's not that hard, surely.

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:52 AM
But you don't GET to make the bull rush attempt as you don't count as Large when you make the triggering attack.

Necroticplague
2016-06-01, 08:58 AM
To accomplish this I likely need two feats:
1. a feat that grants reach weapons a non-reach threat zone IN ADDITION to their usual.
2. a feat that, when an attack of opportunity hits, ends the opponent's movement.

There are a couple feats that try to do the first one, but most aren't very good. EWP (Spiked Chain), however, gives you a reach weapon that can hit nearby enemies with.
2.There's quite a few that does this. Stand Still, Large and In Charge, Knockback, Knock-Down, just off the top of my head.

weckar
2016-06-01, 09:03 AM
Spiked chains are a good idea, but one I'd rather only use as a last resort. I mostly just don't like the visual of it compared to a proper polearm.

Florian
2016-06-01, 09:08 AM
Actually, what edition?

weckar
2016-06-01, 09:09 AM
3.5, I figured that was the default here without a tag to indicate otherwise?