PDA

View Full Version : New race: Obran

weckar
2016-06-01, 08:42 AM
The cultural idea behind this race is that they are miners and artists. They are tall, slender, gray-skinned humanoids with a single stubby horn protruding from their forehead. They are mainly intended as an NPC race, but I am doing a full write-up just in case.

Medium size
30ft. base land speed
60ft. Low-light vision
Communal labor: Obran work best when they work together. Pick any Craft skill, or Profession(miner). You get a +1 to this skill for every other Obran within 60ft. who picked the same skill for this ability (up to maximum bonus equal to HD).
Military Versatility: When qualifying for feats or prestige classes, Obran may ignore any requirements based on size.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any, except for secret languages.
Favored Class: Any

I'm mostly wondering if one can think of any major exploits here, or whether the given abilities warrant a level adjustment. If the write-up as is also calls out to you as needing ability score modifications I'd be happy to listen.

ShiningStarling
2016-06-01, 02:19 PM
The issue I notice first is that low light vision is already an ability with a set range, Dark vision is the one that is typically 60ft.

Other than that... I think this could be used to make a better Basket Orbital Cannon than kenkus can currently do, but that exploit is already silly and impractical for actual adventuring, so not that big an issue.

Looks like a pretty solid NPC race, I like :D

KoyukiTei13
2016-06-01, 04:14 PM
Is this a 3rd, 3.5 or 5th edition race?

weckar
2016-06-08, 02:25 AM
3.5 edition.

I had actually forgotten about the low-light set range. It comes up so little....