PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bladebound Magus Feat Progression

Slayer Lord
2016-06-01, 09:55 PM
I'm playing a magus for the first time and so far I'm loving all the options to play with, but as I've been trying to map out my build I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed. I've looked at several build guides, including our Kurald Galain's excellent magus guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus), and there so many ways I can go with feats I don't quite know what to do, and was hoping to get some insight.

I'm playing an elf Bladebound with a dervish build. The rest of my party includes a Viking Fighter, a Rogue-Ranger, a Bard, and next session we'll be adding a Warpriest. The fighter and the warpriest are main tanks, and the bard is our support caster, so I'm mostly strike DPS, with a side of maneuver support via Bladelash (so much fun). Being level 3, my only feats so far are Weapon Finesse and Dervish Dance to get my build started, but my first dilemma is where to go from here. Combat Casting and Extra Arcane Pool seem like solid choices for level 5, but every guide I've looked at says that I'll be wanting Intensify Spell. I could save it till level 7, but how can I pass up Lunge at the first opportunity? Or wait till level 9 for Intensify? Extra Arcana or Elemental Spell would also be good, and I've heard Rime Spell goes great with all the Cold based touch attacks. But being the penny-pincher I am, I'm also very tempted by Craft Wondrous Item for even cheaper Pearls of Power.

Our group isn't terribly concerned with optimization, but all of us are experienced players. I'd just like some advice on how to make this character fun to play and continue to contribute. We narrowly avoided a TPK with an evil Psyhcic boss last session, so I'm a little anxious about being able to bring down the hurt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sayt
2016-06-01, 10:22 PM
You can pass up lunge by having spells like Storm Step, Force Hook Charge, or Bladed Dash, all of which provide fantastic manoeuvrability.

Combat casting is generally the most useful at the lower levels, and can in fact be replaced with magic items.

Intensify is good at 8 or 9, earlier it doesn't really pay off.

I personally really like the Step up line of feets, as well as the Dimensional Dervish feat tree, bloated as it is (And if you do pick up Dervish, give Outflank a strong consideration, as you'll get to flank with yourself for +4 to hit and your own crits will grant you AoOs)

dude123nice
2016-06-02, 01:35 PM
You can pass up lunge by having spells like Storm Step, Force Hook Charge, or Bladed Dash, all of which provide fantastic manoeuvrability.

Combat casting is generally the most useful at the lower levels, and can in fact be replaced with magic items.

Intensify is good at 8 or 9, earlier it doesn't really pay off.

I personally really like the Step up line of feets, as well as the Dimensional Dervish feat tree, bloated as it is (And if you do pick up Dervish, give Outflank a strong consideration, as you'll get to flank with yourself for +4 to hit and your own crits will grant you AoOs)

I would advise against taking the whole Dimensional Dervish feat tree, since, as you said, you already have great maneuverability from Storm Step, Force Hook Charge and Bladed Dash, i think blowing a 4th level spell on a +4 to attacks for just one round seems a bit steep, and using spell combat with Dimension Door gives you better action economy than Dimensional Assault and Dimensional Dervish, without having to use any feats. At most get only Dimensional Agility for the few situations when you face a barrier that you can't pass with other spells.

Geddy2112
2016-06-02, 01:49 PM
When in doubt, improved initiative is never bad. You always want to get the first strike over the enemy.

An extra arcana or two can round out your build, particularly since you are down one from being a bladebound.

Florian
2016-06-02, 01:50 PM
With that high number of melees actually in the group, do you think a Bladebound Dervish is not a bit... redundant in its way? An Eldritch Archer with Snowball and some BFC spells would be a thing to consider when it comes to DPR.

dude123nice
2016-06-02, 02:13 PM
With that high number of melees actually in the group, do you think a Bladebound Dervish is not a bit... redundant in its way? An Eldritch Archer with Snowball and some BFC spells would be a thing to consider when it comes to DPR.

Maybe the guy just wants to play melee, ever thought of that?

Florian
2016-06-02, 02:17 PM
Maybe the guy just wants to play melee, ever thought of that?

I rather thought about the fact that there is no guide offering a raged build. Even Kurald Galain didīt update his to include an example build. So right now, it seems like melee is the only option available.

Psyren
2016-06-02, 04:27 PM
I think Lunge is a good idea actually. There are ways to get to melee without it, sure, but often those spell slots are better used delivering the pain than in trying to get close safely/efficiently. Having the option to tap somebody with your ISG and a barrage of Scimitar hits while staying out of range is nice, and it stacks with size increases and reach weapons too.

If you can use it along with a 5-ft. step to reach an opponent without having to FHC your way there, or to zap a large foe without passing through a threatened square, it's a feat well-spent imo.

NightbringerGGZ
2016-06-02, 05:37 PM
I rather thought about the fact that there is no guide offering a raged build. Even Kurald Galain didīt update his to include an example build. So right now, it seems like melee is the only option available.

The ranged build is rather simple... Pick up the standard Archer feats and go with Snowball instead of Shocking Grasp.

Kurald Galain
2016-06-03, 04:11 AM
Our group isn't terribly concerned with optimization, but all of us are experienced players. I'd just like some advice on how to make this character fun to play and continue to contribute. We narrowly avoided a TPK with an evil Psyhcic boss last session, so I'm a little anxious about being able to bring down the hurt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you're just going to craft pearls, CWI isn't worth it.

For a damaging build, go Lunging Spell Touch at 6 (via retraining), Intensify at 7; for a debuff build, go Rime Spell at 5, Lunging Spell Touch at 7. Either way, consider Extra Arcana at 9. Combat Casting shouldn't be needed at those levels, and Elemental Spell isn't worth the level increase: just add some spells of varied elements to your spellbook. Instead of Extra Arcane Pool, take arcana that don't require pool points.