PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed My first homebrew - a Time Dragon bloodline. How's it look?

Yen Lo
2016-06-01, 09:57 PM
Hi guys,

I’ve been lurking here, and on a few other D&D-related forums for a month or so now, and find myself fascinated. I haven’t actually played since 2e, and the plethora of options and optimisations that have developed is staggering!

I’d like to make myself a build based on gestalt version of Priya-the-Prismatic-Priestess-Buffs-Across-the-Spectrum (I can't post links yet, but Priya is posted here on GitP), and if possible incorporate a bloodline based on the Time Dragon.

Dandwiki.com has a version of the Time Dragon which includes a number of abilities I’d like to have the bloodline emulate (albeit with much lesser power):
• Breath Weapon (Su): A time dragon has two types of breath weapon, a cone of force and a line of aging...
• Aura of Time (Ex): A time dragon, at all times, emits an aura of fluctuating time from its body in a 40 foot radius. Any creature inside the radius of this aura cannot take full-round actions or multiple actions of the same type during a round (excluding free actions). Additionally, everything inside the radius of the aura has total concealment...
• Temporal Flux (Ex): ...a time dragon may select one target whom it has attack earlier during the encounter, select one of it's natural attacks, and make an attack against that target with the selected natural attack, regardless of whether the target is within range of the time dragons attacks or not...
• Dimension Door (Sp): Three times per day an adult or older time dragon can use this ability as the spell of the same name...
• Other Spell-Like Abilities: At will—Haste, slow (juvenile or older)...
• Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, and Knowledge are considered class skills for time dragons.

The same dandwiki.com page also has stats for a Time Half-Dragons, featuring:
• Armor Class: The creature’s natural armor improves by +4, as normal, and they gain a +4 insight bonus to AC.
• Special Attacks: A time half-dragon retains all the special attacks of the non-dragon parent and gains a 40 foot cone of force breath weapon...
• Special Qualities:

o Darkvision out to 60 feet
o Low-light vision
o Immunity to sleep
o Immunity to paralysis effects
o Immunity to death effects

Dragon Magazine #359 featured an article "Time Dragon: A Wyrm For the Ages" by Mike McArtor which included:
• Breath Weapons (Su): A time dragon has two types of breath weapon: a line of ravaging time, and a cone of time expulsion...creatures within a cone of time expulsion disappear and cannot act for 1 round per age category of the dragon (Will negates)...
• Time Control (Su):...As a free action, a time dragon can will itself to move more quickly as though affected by a haste spell for up to 5 rounds each day...
• Time dragons are immune to slow effects.
• Draconic Surge (Ex): A very young or older time dragon can, once per day as a swift action, borrow time from the future. This allows the time dragon to take an extra standard action or move action during its turn...
• Slow Aura (Su):...Creatures are automatically affected as by the slow spell (no save) each round they begin their turn within the area of the aura.
• Skills: All Knowledge skills and Speak Languages are class skills for time dragons.

I'm sure I have seen a Time Dragon published somewhere that must have predated the Dragon Magazine entry I noted above, but these are the only sources I can currently find (apart from a page on Archives of Nethys that doesn't add much).

Here's my first-ish draft of a bloodline:

1st
Skill boost 1
+2 on Concentration checks

2nd
Special 1
Improved Initiative

3rd
Ability Boost 1
Strength +1

4th
Special 2
Combat Reflexes

5th
Affinity +2
Time Dragon Affinity +2

6th
Special 3
Immunity to Sleep

7th
Skill Boost 2
+2 on Hide checks

8th
Special 4
Immunity to Paralysis

9th
Ability Boost 2
Constitution +1

10th
Special 5
Immunity to Death effects

11th
Affinity +4
Time Dragon Affinity +4

12th
Special 6
Celerity, Lesser 1/day

13th
Skill Boost 3
+2 on Diplomacy checks

14th
Special 7
Haste 1/day

15th
Ability Boost 3
Wisdom +1

16th
Special 8
Breath Weapon*

17th
Affinity +6
Time Dragon affinity +6

18th
Special 9
Slow 1/day

19th
Skill Boost 4
+2 on Knowledge (History) checks

20th
Special 10
Celerity 1/day

* 30-ft. cone of force; 6d8 damage; Reflex half (DC 10 + one half HD + Con modifier).

I have tried to keep it at a comparable power level to the bloodlines listed in the d20 SRD (no spells over 4th level), and give it lots of chrono-flavor, which is a trickier balance than I expected.

How are the bloodline Breath Weapons generally handled? I've seen opinions varying from 1/day standard action to at-will immediate action.

I appreciate any comments you might have.

TIA,

Yen Lo.