PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Class suggestion

Senjou
2016-06-02, 03:54 AM
Dear All

Sorry for the bother when I posted already something previously. My group will start a new campaign in a couple of weeks with a new master. The master decided to start the campaign back from level 1 and run it to level 10. I have been playing mostly a Wizard until now, with a one shot session of fighter. I don't want to run wizard again for now, so what do you suggest me in term of class to play?

Cheers

djreynolds
2016-06-02, 04:49 AM
You know, tonight we did a B&E on an manor, my cleric dropped his armor and went with to supply the party with some extra buffs and whatnots. It was fun. My kid liked it. Luckily we had 2 rangers, one took care of the dogs with animal friendship, a bladesinger, a bard, and my cleric.

I think rogue could've done all of that, aside from the dogs. I find the class so versatile, cunning action, I possibly could've done a smash and grab. I could've been a thief and used fast hands to produce some "laced" food for the dogs. I could've used an arcane trickster to cast minor illusion, or mage hand.

They're great in melee with expertise in athletics. How about a rogue/fighter? He will be very useful. He can go melee or do archery, he can scout, pick locks, steal, persuade guards. And sneak attack is just so easy now, and even easier with swashbuckler. And what you do saves the wizard from having to prepare this spell or that spell.

Try a rogue, I prefer arcane trickster, then thief, then swashbuckler. Assassin is very DM/campaign dependent, but if you can get surprise rounds often, deadly.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-02, 04:53 AM
Try a rogue, I prefer arcane trickster, then thief, then swashbuckler. Assassin is very DM/campaign dependent, but if you can get surprise rounds often, deadly.

I love a good arcane trickster too. You'll get some of the wizard spellcasting you're used to, but lots more skill-based options. And sneak attack! :smallbiggrin:

RickAllison
2016-06-02, 06:38 AM
Since you like wizards, a Thief could be right up your alley. The entire archetype is about using items and the environment to gain a tactical advantage.

Alternatively, a Moon Druid gives you a variety of options that will play well and give new strategies as you go through those levels.

JellyPooga
2016-06-02, 07:32 AM
I'll chime in on the "Rogues are awesome" camp too. If you enjoy the complexities of playing a Wizard, then playing a "rinse and repeat" Class like Barbarian, Fighter or Monk (as awesome as they are at what they do) might feel limiting. Rogues get to do a lot; between Cunning Action and skill use, you're adventuring day is quite varied and you have to use your head a bit to get the most out of the Class.

Rogue was my first Class and the one I keep returning to and from there I moved to Wizard and very much enjoyed it. I think you'll enjoy doing the reverse.

I'd put a mention out there for the Bard, too. All the spellcasting power of a Wizard, albeit with a little less magical versatility, made up for by greater versatility in other fields.

Giant2005
2016-06-02, 07:57 AM
I'm going to need more information... How far away from being a Wizard does it need to be?
At this point, I think I'd recommend any of the following: Monk, Rogue, Cleric, Paladin.

Gtdead
2016-06-02, 09:19 AM
Well, you really need to give more info on the type of characters you like to play.

Generally speaking, Rogues are considered the class that you will have fun with it no matter what. But it won't necessarily satisfy your roleplaying needs, especially after playing a wizard which is the most versatile class in the game and has an answer for everything. Rogue is multitalented but not necessarily versatile.

Paladins, Warlocks and Rangers are good "middle of the road" classes. A lot of flavor, can pull their weight in a fight without too much fuss and have access to spells.

Bard is a complicated class. Both rp and combat wise. It could be a challenge to play it to it's fullest even if mechanically it's strong and it's pretty similar to wizard.
Sorcerer on the other hand, not so much. The limited spell selection is a pretty big adjustment, but his playstyle is simple. Has some unique rp potential due to the source of his powers. Best suited to prodigies and young heroes.

Barbarians, Fighters and Monks are typical bruisers. No matter how you build them, they can't deviate too much from what they are supposed to do. It's more about the flavor that you give them than the actual class mechanics.

Clerics and Druids are great if you still want a full caster but with different mechanics and spells. They can be built to resemble a wizard, but they have their own unique mechanics and generally fill different roles.

Not sure what else to tell you. If I was in your shoes I would take a look at Rogues, Warlocks, Paladins and Rangers first. Then branch out.