PDA

View Full Version : Filling the vacuum left by t1 classes

frogglesmash
2016-06-02, 05:38 AM
Which classes would become the go to for magic item crafting if all T1 and T2 classes were banned? As far as I can tell warlocks are the best fit mechanically, but they don't fit thematically in my opinion.

Inevitability
2016-06-02, 05:41 AM
Sublime Chord bards?

Divide by Zero
2016-06-02, 05:52 AM
For the higher-level items at least, the Healer and the fixed-list casters could make a limited subset of them, but for the most part the warlock is going to be your only option there. Though since the default fluff assumes the existence of the T1/T2 classes, changing the fluff of warlocks to being the crafter caste wouldn't be that unreasonable.

frogglesmash
2016-06-02, 05:57 AM
Sublime Chord bards?

That's basically just bumping a T3 to a T1 and pretending you didn't.

Cosi
2016-06-02, 08:36 AM
Chameleons. Access to a wide variety of spells, floating feat for item creation. They're honestly not bad at it even compared to Wizards or Clerics (though obviously not as good as Artificers).

Inevitability
2016-06-02, 10:56 AM
That's basically just bumping a T3 to a T1 and pretending you didn't.

I'd argue for SC bards being T2 at most (they're basically sorcerers), but I guess your point still stands.

Telonius
2016-06-02, 11:07 AM
I'd probably go with Midgard Dwarves for all your item creation needs.

Otherwise, Dwarves are still a nice go-to for magic arms and armor. Incarnate into Ironsoul Forgemaster, or (anything full-BAB) into Battlesmith.

Divide by Zero
2016-06-02, 05:33 PM
I'd probably go with Midgard Dwarves for all your item creation needs.

Otherwise, Dwarves are still a nice go-to for magic arms and armor. Incarnate into Ironsoul Forgemaster, or (anything full-BAB) into Battlesmith.

They still need to be able to actually cast the spells required, though (or have help from someone who can). As far as I know, only the Warlock and (banned) Artificer can get around that requirement.

ShurikVch
2016-06-02, 05:45 PM
They still need to be able to actually cast the spells required, though (or have help from someone who can). As far as I know, only the Warlock and (banned) Artificer can get around that requirement.Midgard Dwarves are there too:
Master Smith (Ex): Midgard dwarves gain Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Forge Ring as bonus feats. They are considered to possess the prerequisites necessary to craft any magic item of those types, even if they do not otherwise meet the requirements or have the ability to cast the necessary spells.

ZeroiaSD
2016-06-02, 06:43 PM
The Dwarf answer is very mythological too, where even powerful magic users usually got their stuff from dedicated forgers rather than make their own kit.