PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a 'cutesy' management game

Brother Oni
2016-06-02, 11:26 AM
My wife has been asking me about whether I have any relaxing (or at least not very difficult) management style games as she enjoyed the economy missions for the various Stronghold games and Theme Park World (Sim Theme Park for you Americans).

I suggested some of the ones I already have (Prison Architect, Tropico, Zeus, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Factorio, Sim City, Civilisation) and they all got rejected for not being 'cute' enough or too dull. She also doesn't like first or third person (Edit: 'over the shoulder') perspective games since they make her motion sick and now I'm out of ideas.

Does anybody in the Playground have any suggestions?

tonberrian
2016-06-02, 11:57 AM
Recettear is as cutesy as can be while managing an item shop, but it may be too third-person.

Brother Oni
2016-06-02, 12:35 PM
Recettear is as cutesy as can be while managing an item shop, but it may be too third-person.

Sorry, I meant third person as in 'over the shoulder' style like in Mass Effect. The top down style that Recettear has is fine (as mentioned, she's fine with the Stronghold games which has a similar POV).

I'll suggest it to her, but she may not like the expedition segments which are critical to getting shop stock.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-02, 12:38 PM
Would The Simpsons: Tapped Out be cute enough, or is it simply amusing?

Silfir
2016-06-02, 12:41 PM
I personally think Theme Hospital is ridiculously cute, and also the best management game in existence. It takes some trickery to get it to run - but I was able to complete the campaign in the Corsix Open Source conversion.

Come to think of it, the first Dungeon Keeper is also full of tiny and adorable creatures you can smack about.

Both should be available on GOG.com and Origin. Theme Hospital was actually free on Origin once.

As for more recent titles, have you considered Stardew Valley?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-06-02, 12:48 PM
Roller Coaster Tycoon, Big Pharma, Zoo Tycoon, Wildlife Park 3, and The Spatials are all varying levels of "cute," and all available on Steam. I don't know anything personally about several of them though -- I went for visuals, so you'd have to check gameplay reviews yourself.

Brother Oni
2016-06-02, 12:54 PM
Would The Simpsons: Tapped Out be cute enough, or is it simply amusing?

I'll add it to the list of suggestions, but I suspect she was wanting something a little more in depth.

I personally think Theme Hospital is ridiculously cute, and also the best management game in existence. It takes some trickery to get it to run - but I was able to complete the campaign in the Corsix Open Source conversion.

Come to think of it, the first Dungeon Keeper is also full of tiny and adorable creatures you can smack about.

Both should be available on GOG.com and Origin. Theme Hospital was actually free on Origin once.

Has the GOG version fixed the issues both games have running on modern PCs? I tried replaying Theme Hospital a couple of years ago and I couldn't get the game to run slow enough to be playable.

Similarly DK and DK2 have stability issues on Windows 7 - I can get DK2 to run and be stable but it doesn't save My Pet Dungeon progress correctly, or I can get it to save but it crashes at random instead.

I'm not aware that its spiritual successor, War for the Overworld, has the equivalent of My Pet Dungeon.

As for more recent titles, have you considered Stardew Valley?

This looks like a good suggestion - hopefully she's recovered from her Harvest Moon PTSD to give it a go.

Antonok
2016-06-02, 12:59 PM
Is she a fan of harvest moon type games? Cause Stardew Valley is quite good, and fits the management style with crops/livestock. Even has fishing and a little bit of combat.

Fri
2016-06-02, 01:02 PM
The GOG version should've fixed that. I don't know firsthand, but my friend played it in his modern pc and it's all good.

Another idea is GameDevTycoon, the one that got an lp here a while back.

Also for recettear, an idea is you play it together :D.

You play the dungeon part, and she play the management part.

Brother Oni
2016-06-02, 01:04 PM
Roller Coaster Tycoon, Big Pharma, Zoo Tycoon, Wildlife Park 3, and The Spatials are all varying levels of "cute," and all available on Steam. I don't know anything personally about several of them though -- I went for visuals, so you'd have to check gameplay reviews yourself.

Hey Djinn, long time no see. :smallsmile:

I'll add them to the list - I've already got Big Pharma on my wishlist, but The Spatials looks very promising.

Is she a fan of harvest moon type games? Cause Stardew Valley is quite good, and fits the management style with crops/livestock. Even has fishing and a little bit of combat.

As mentioned earlier, hopefully she's willing to give the farming genre another go.

The GOG version should've fixed that. I don't know firsthand, but my friend played it in his modern pc and it's all good.
Another idea is GameDevTycoon, the one that got an lp here a while back.

Also for recettear, an idea is you play it together :D.
You play the dungeon part, and she play the management part.

I'll see if I can find a demo on GOG for the games and see how it well it runs. I forgot I have GameDevTycoon, so I'll suggest it to her.

I'm somewhat reluctant to split up the gameplay of Recettear up like that as the last thing I want is nagging to get better loot for her to sell (I get enough of that outside of games! :smalltongue:).

Silfir
2016-06-02, 02:00 PM
As mentioned, I played CorsixTH (https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/wiki/Getting-Started). Basically, Theme Hospital reprogrammed in open source so it can run on any modern platform. Back when I played it (years ago), it missed some features, but none I particularly missed. (Epidemics, mostly.) It needs the assets from an official copy of Theme Hospital, which you have access to since you own the game on GOG.

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-06-02, 02:19 PM
If you've got a mobile device handy, Game Dev Story has downright adorable pixel chibi characters for your employees et al. It's probably not as mechanically interesting as GameDevTycoon, but it's pretty simple and not hugely taxing.

Jonzac
2016-06-02, 04:19 PM
Banished, on Steam. Start a village and work your way up. No fighting ,but there are natural disasters.

OrcusMcP
2016-06-02, 08:04 PM
I'll echo the recommendation for Game Dev Tycoon. While not super cutesy, it's very easy to treat it super simply and just let it run.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-06-02, 10:46 PM
This looks like a good suggestion - hopefully she's recovered from her Harvest Moon PTSD to give it a go.

...Did she play A Wonderful Life?

Knaight
2016-06-02, 11:31 PM
Has the GOG version fixed the issues both games have running on modern PCs? I tried replaying Theme Hospital a couple of years ago and I couldn't get the game to run slow enough to be playable.

It works on my Windows 8 machine, and it works well. Theme Hospital should be fine. There's also a case to be made for Big Pharma, which is similarly colorful and has an interesting sense of humor about it as well.

If it weren't for the motion sickness, Slime Rancher would be perfect, but sadly that's out.

Slylizard
2016-06-03, 12:08 AM
Maybe try out Viva Pinata (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_Pi%C3%B1ata_(video_game)#Reception)

Crow
2016-06-03, 12:25 AM
You should suggest HunieCam Studio to her.

Brother Oni
2016-06-03, 02:44 AM
As mentioned, I played CorsixTH (https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/wiki/Getting-Started). Basically, Theme Hospital reprogrammed in open source so it can run on any modern platform. Back when I played it (years ago), it missed some features, but none I particularly missed. (Epidemics, mostly.) It needs the assets from an official copy of Theme Hospital, which you have access to since you own the game on GOG.

I have a copy of the game when it was released on a budget label - hopefully that's official enough.

Banished, on Steam. Start a village and work your way up. No fighting ,but there are natural disasters.

Not cute enough, alas.

...Did she play A Wonderful Life?

She did. Why do you ask?

It works on my Windows 8 machine, and it works well. Theme Hospital should be fine. There's also a case to be made for Big Pharma, which is similarly colorful and has an interesting sense of humor about it as well.

If it weren't for the motion sickness, Slime Rancher would be perfect, but sadly that's out.

As mentioned, I've got an eye on Big Pharma for myself. Slime Rancher does indeed look perfect and I may be picking that up for my daughter instead - thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe try out Viva Pinata (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_Pi%C3%B1ata_(video_game)#Reception)

The first person removes it from contention alas. I'll suggest it to my daughter though as she seems to like that sort of game as well.

You should suggest HunieCam Studio to her.

You are a cruel, sick and twisted man and if it wasn't for the fact that I like sleeping next to her, I would totally suggest it. :smalltongue:

Anxe
2016-06-03, 08:11 AM
The Settlers series might be a good fit. Hard to say though based on what's been rejected. Take a look on YouTube I guess?

Tengu_temp
2016-06-03, 08:55 AM
I'll suggest it to her, but she may not like the expedition segments which are critical to getting shop stock.

Actually, you really don't need to do the dungeon crawling in Recettear - they're almost universally a waste of money when compared to just running the store, except very early on. You mostly do them for the storylines of various adventurers.

And yeah, I'm seconding Recettear, Theme Hospital, and the Settlers series. In addition to that, how about Airline Tycoon? Not sure if I'd call it "cute", but it's definitely cartoony and light-hearted, and I remember having a lot of fun with it back in the day.

Nerd-o-rama
2016-06-03, 09:01 AM
If she wants a phone game (and can keep herself away from the temptation of microtransactions), and she's into superheroes, I've been having a lot of fun with Avengers Academy. It's kind of light on gameplay even for a management sim, being a phone game, but the takes on the characters are wonderful.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/868c3c29b21bb246db18932689301e81/tumblr_o2roej61RF1s6zhsqo1_1280.jpg

Other than that, thirding Recettear. It's painfully cute.

Elaborigen
2016-06-03, 09:37 AM
Valhalla hills is pretty much a settlers game with cute vikings.

Cikomyr
2016-06-03, 09:52 AM
Does she likes Sci fi and Hitchhiker's guide? Then make her try out Startopia.

Wookieetank
2016-06-03, 11:55 AM
Have you looked at Gnomoria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500/), Craft the World (http://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/?snr=1_5_9__300), Lethis (http://store.steampowered.com/app/359230/?snr=1_5_9__300) or Stonehearth (http://store.steampowered.com/app/253250/)?

The first two I've gotten quite a bit of use out of, and the last two I've heard lots of good things about and are on my list of games to get soon(tm). All 4 are variations of city/settlement management.

Wraith
2016-06-03, 12:42 PM
I might've said to try Spore (http://store.steampowered.com/app/17390/), depending on how sensitive your lady is to motion sickness. The game has three or four different 'stages' each with their own mechanics and gameplay; all of them are some sort of management game, yet to me the 'second stage' is more reminiscent to a 3D Command & Conquer style view while others might find it too close to 3rd Person. It is ridiculously cute, though, so long as you avoid the myriad colonies of penis-monsters.

Storm Bringer
2016-06-04, 10:36 AM

seconded to hell and back. and if she doesn't ike it, get yourself in their because its one of the best base builder type games I have ever played, and I have about 2/3rds of the suggestions on this page.

failing that Cities:skylines ia a fairly recent city builder game. I can't say if she will like it (gameplay is very SimCity), but the graphics might be more to her taste. show her the steam vids and see what she makes of it.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-06-04, 11:07 AM
She did. Why do you ask?

Oho, that one is the worst. For example, AWL has eight slots in the barn for animals. There are five different breeds of cow, a horse, a goat, and a sheep. But AWL is the only game in the series that requires the cows to be pregnant or have a child to make milk, and each pregnancy requires a free slot reserved for the calf.

Legoshrimp
2016-06-05, 06:28 AM
I third Stardew Valley. Although there is a dungeon combat aspect to it, which is I think more important to play then the one in reccetear. You need to do it to upgrade tools so that you can farm more efficiently, and gather some resources.

Brother Oni
2016-06-06, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I showed her the thread and after viewing a number of trailers, we ended up with Recettear, Theme Hospital and Stardew Valley and I'll point her at Craft the World if/when she starts looking around for more games (I already have this one)

My daughter also started looking at me with puppy-dog eyes when she saw Slime Rancher and Viva Pinata - that's her Christmas and birthday presents sorted out then. :smalltongue:

I'm rather surprised that I have this hidden in the depths of my Steam library. I think I broke the tutorial and never got round to trying it out again.

Cikomyr
2016-06-06, 07:03 AM
I'm rather surprised that I have this hidden in the depths of my Steam library. I think I broke the tutorial and never got round to trying it out again.

I do suggest you try it again. Its fun.

Spore
2016-06-06, 07:33 AM
Hunie Cam Studio? :amused:

Crow
2016-06-08, 03:07 AM
Hunie Cam Studio? :amused:

Right!? That's two now. Time to have her give it a try.

veti
2016-06-08, 04:14 AM
Not sure what you mean by 'cute', but are you familiar with Tropico?

snowblizz
2016-06-08, 04:53 AM

Mentioned in OP actually.

Brother Oni
2016-06-08, 06:37 AM
Right!? That's two now. Time to have her give it a try.

While the missus will only give me the cold shoulder, the thought of trying to explain the question "Daddy, what's a cam girl?' to my children fills me with dread.

Anything that fulfils the kawaii (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawaii) or kawaisa (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Kawaisa?from=Main.Kawaisa) aesthetic. As Snowblizz said, I suggested it to the wife and she didn't like the look of it.

Selpharia
2016-06-20, 08:36 PM
They're a but dufficult to get, and in Japanese, but the Idolmaster series is incredibly kawaii and a lot of management behind the rhythm portions. This reminds me, I need to see if any of the newer ones would be good for a Let's Play

Brother Oni
2016-06-21, 06:24 AM
They're a but dufficult to get, and in Japanese, but the Idolmaster series is incredibly kawaii and a lot of management behind the rhythm portions. This reminds me, I need to see if any of the newer ones would be good for a Let's Play

Didn't you do a Let's Play of an Idolmaster game?

Edit: *One completely innocent google search later that's entirely un-creepy and could not be misconstrued in any way, shape or form as stalking*

Yep, you did. Unfortunately my wife loathes the idol business as she's of the opinion that it's highly exploitive (she gets this nervous tic around her eye which makes me start looking for hard cover) so I don't think the Idolmaster games would be appropriate.

This is aside from the fact that I recently learned that she has a niece that's in a basement idol group (for those unfamiliar with the Japanese Idol scene, it's an idol group with a small fan base thus only popular enough to play in small venues, like community centres or commercial building basements), that I fully intend to go and support the next opportunity we're over there. :smallbiggrin:

MorgromTheOrc
2016-06-21, 06:50 AM
I'm going to second spore, while it is arguable whether it's cute or silly you can get through the game without any fighting and it's easy to make very cute, and have your worlds inhabited by, very cute creatures.

Wookieetank
2016-06-21, 07:41 AM
I'm going to second spore, while it is arguable whether it's cute or silly you can get through the game without any fighting and it's easy to make very cute, and have your worlds inhabited by, very cute creatures.

Not to mention the oodles of fan creations that are just stunning. Wandering around a galaxy populated by Pokémon and Transformers was quite entertaining (my creations always ended up a bit odd, min/maxing is a hard habit to break).

Anxe
2016-06-21, 01:42 PM
Not to mention the oodles of fan creations that are just stunning. Wandering around a galaxy populated by Pokémon and Transformers was quite entertaining (my creations always ended up a bit odd, min/maxing is a hard habit to break).

Harder to do that now. They stopped maintaining the servers a few years ago and they've finally fallen apart. I'm not sure where you'd get fan creations at this point.

Wookieetank
2016-06-21, 01:48 PM
Harder to do that now. They stopped maintaining the servers a few years ago and they've finally fallen apart. I'm not sure where you'd get fan creations at this point.

Bummer, it was very impressive seeing what people could do with that game.

Sian
2016-06-21, 01:58 PM
'Evil Genius' maybe? more zany than cutesy perhaps, but that might still be worth a shot.

Bit surprised that 'Roller Coaster Tycoon' aren't on the list thru.

and yeah, seconding (or however high those numbers might be) Stardew Valley and Settlers

Brother Oni
2016-06-24, 03:33 PM
I picked up Recettear in the Steam sale and my wife is really enjoying it - apparently this is not a sterotype of a typical Japanese girl gamer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdZFCKSWpTA). :smallbiggrin:

The_Jackal
2016-06-24, 04:19 PM
Have you looked at Gnomoria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500/), Craft the World (http://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/?snr=1_5_9__300), Lethis (http://store.steampowered.com/app/359230/?snr=1_5_9__300) or Stonehearth (http://store.steampowered.com/app/253250/)?

The first two I've gotten quite a bit of use out of, and the last two I've heard lots of good things about and are on my list of games to get soon(tm). All 4 are variations of city/settlement management.

Another vote for Craft the World. It's fun, whimsical and pretty good, overall. $4.00 right now on Steam. Can't beat that with a stick.

Brother Oni
2016-06-25, 02:12 AM
Another vote for Craft the World. It's fun, whimsical and pretty good, overall. $4.00 right now on Steam. Can't beat that with a stick.

I already have it and unless they've changed it, it's fun for about the first 10-15 hours, then it devolves into doing the almost exact same gameplay every time you start a new level.

Anxe
2016-06-25, 02:47 PM
I already have it and unless they've changed it, it's fun for about the first 10-15 hours, then it devolves into doing the almost exact same gameplay every time you start a new level.

That sounds about right for a $4 game.

Brother Oni
2016-06-25, 03:22 PM
That sounds about right for a $4 game.

Except it wasn't on sale when I picked it up back in 2013; I forget whether I got it in early access or not.

Forbiddenwar
2016-06-26, 02:30 AM
I thought of Long Live The Queen, when seeing the thread title, even though I know almost nothing of the game outside of podcasts talking it up a lot a few years ago.

$5 on steam now. Might be a peek.

Brother Oni
2016-06-26, 06:52 AM
I thought of Long Live The Queen, when seeing the thread title, even though I know almost nothing of the game outside of podcasts talking it up a lot a few years ago.

$5 on steam now. Might be a peek.

It cuts a little too close to the Princess Maker genre and my wife is allergic to anything 'too otaku-y'.

I found Youtuber's Life that she likes the look of, but she's busy with Recettear (and Space Channel 5 Part 2, since she completed the first one and it was going cheap during the sale).

Sian
2016-06-26, 11:34 AM
LLtQ might play like Princess Maker (although its slightly deeper), but it got a much deeper and involved story, and there is much more choice involved in it.

Closet_Skeleton
2016-06-26, 03:14 PM
LLtQ is more of a trial and error choose your own adventure disguised as a raising sim.

Knaight
2016-06-27, 12:37 PM
LLtQ is more of a trial and error choose your own adventure disguised as a raising sim.

It's between the two. I'd describe it as a choose your own adventure with an inordinate number of death traps, which can be avoided if you both choose well and handle a fairly complex spreadsheet optimisation problem effectively.

snowblizz
2016-07-04, 06:18 AM
Dang you peeps. One summer Steam sale later and I'm a maybe not so proud owner of HuniCAm studios... because apparently I can't resist bad taste.:smalltongue:

GloatingSwine
2016-07-04, 11:57 AM
It's between the two. I'd describe it as a choose your own adventure with an inordinate number of death traps, which can be avoided if you both choose well and handle a fairly complex spreadsheet optimisation problem effectively.

In other words, play Crusader Kings 2 instead and you can still get assassinated before your 16th birthday but it's more emergent.