PDA

View Full Version : Genasi Swashbuckler....sorta?

MatchesMalone
2016-06-02, 12:43 PM
Alright. So I play in a large group. I actually have three characters right now over three different groups under one banner that is actually comprise of five groups total. We have about 23 players in the entire game if I remember correctly. Anywho, in one group, I have the Tiefling Monk that I posted about before. In another group, I have a half-elf bard. In this third group, I was wanting to go with a Genasi Swashbuckler. The only problem is that the DM for that group, after reviewing the Homebrew Swashbuckler class, decided against it. Up in the higher level, things start to get a bit confusing, and I completely understand.

With that said, I wanted to see if any of you had suggestions on how to make a build using core classes that would be similar to the Swashbuckler class? I like the suggestions I've been getting on my tiefling monk, and I figured I'd open the floor for this as well.

-Matches

DireSickFish
2016-06-02, 12:46 PM
Use the Rogue Swashbuckler class from SCAG. If you want more of a fighter then go Battlemaster Dex based and take the Parry feat.

tsuyoshikentsu
2016-06-02, 12:51 PM
Bards can also be swashbuckly and could play up a genasi's "hey, I'm a mini elemental" side with magic, but yeah, Battle Master is likely your best bet if the actual class isn't your thing.

MatchesMalone
2016-06-02, 01:04 PM
Use the Rogue Swashbuckler class from SCAG. If you want more of a fighter then go Battlemaster Dex based and take the Parry feat.

You know, I never even thought to look there. lol Thank you!

RickAllison
2016-06-02, 01:13 PM
Swashbuckler from SCAG.

Rogue dips in general are great for this, but I recommend the Thief 3 dip to play with your environment as a bonus action. Bonus action to wrap a chain in your off-hand around a line to zip down it to then stab a fleeing enemy (probably with advantage...), for example.

Valor Bard combos well for straight-up fighting, while Lore helps you be the type who throws your opponents off with witty remarks.

A Warlock or Sorcerer with one of the SCAG cantrips could also pull out a swordsman style. In this case, I recommend Storm so you can Thunderwave->get the heck out of Dodge when the going gets rough.

Despite being Int-based, Bladesingers fit this rather well. Something to consider...

Finally, Fighters have enough attacks to make great use of the style. Toss in the Thief 3 and you can get some crazy combinations of maneuvers as you manipulate your opponent and your environment just how you like them.

Falcon X
2016-06-02, 03:23 PM
Swashbuckler isn't homebrew, it's from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which is an official supplement. He can still ban it if he wants to though.

Player's Handbook only:
Fighter with fencing focus with a 3-level dip into assassin. He get's all those feats to customize himself, fights with a one-handed weapon, and has the skills of a rogue from the dip.

I love the idea of Genasi pirates, BTW. Water and air are particularly appropriate. Their rare races would do better getting away from the mainland to grow up.

MatchesMalone
2016-06-02, 04:29 PM
Swashbuckler isn't homebrew, it's from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which is an official supplement. He can still ban it if he wants to though.

Player's Handbook only:
Fighter with fencing focus with a 3-level dip into assassin. He get's all those feats to customize himself, fights with a one-handed weapon, and has the skills of a rogue from the dip.

I love the idea of Genasi pirates, BTW. Water and air are particularly appropriate. Their rare races would do better getting away from the mainland to grow up.

I found a Swashbuckler homebrew that was treated as a base class with archetypes, level progression, etc.

My buddy is going to be playing a Goliath Barbarian that was a part of the crew that my Genasi, I haven't decided between air or water, was a part of. Very small backstory is that we were attacked and left for dead. We were the only survivors from our ship and are out to protect each other. We're kind of pulling a Princess Bride bit with Inigo Montoya and Fezzik like characters.

"My name is Indigo Montana. You keel my captain. Prepare to..."
*punch from his Goliath to enemy. I look at him with a 'wtf' look*
Him: What? I'm hungry and this looked like it might be a while.