PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Rogue/Barb TWF or Sword and Board

Rand84
2016-06-02, 03:41 PM
This is my first post so be gentle!
I am rolling up a mountain dwarf rogue for an upcoming campaign that will probably run till about level 14-15 and have decided to dip 5 levels of Barbarian to give him a bit more survivablity in melee. The character concept is he is a gruff grumpy old treasure hunter that would sell his own granny for a gold piece. Stat wise I was thinking
STR - 14 +2
DEX - 14
CON - 12 +2
INT - 10
WIS - 14
CHA - 8
I was planning on taking my first level as a Rogue then the next in Barb then up to rogue 5 / Barb 1 then up to 5/5 and the rest into rogue. The dilemma in having is having read previouse posts on similar builds is that really liked the idea of taking the shield master feat with expertise and advantage on Athletics but I'm worried

1) it would prove to be redundant. Reckless attack would give me advantage on attacks opposed to shoving enemies prone, evasion (although I wouldn't be picking it up till lvl 12) is strictly better and other than sacred flame I can't think of another spell that is a DEX save single target spell?

2) I would lose significant DPR from my offhand attack if I miss with my one attack to land sneak attack then I don't get another chance till next round

So I'm looking for any advice from people who have played a similar build or who have run the numbers in theorycraft is +2 AC and the shield master perks at character level 5 worth it over TWF??

Sillybird99
2016-06-02, 04:55 PM
I think the shield might be the way to go. If you will be using your bonus action for combat, twf will get you an extra d6. Shield master will get you advantage sneak attack which is a scaling d6. Both options will give you two d20s to land your sneak attack, but you will get sneak attack chances more often with shield master(edit: this is wrong. I for got you would have worked attacks with advantage for twf). Shield master route gives you better dpr and defense so it seems like the best choice to me.

bid
2016-06-02, 05:33 PM
Starting barbarian gives you better saves and all martial weapons at the cost of one skill. It's a hard choice.

I would aim for swashbuckler 3 / elk 5, I feel uncanny dodge can wait.

Remember that you can grapple and drag targets from the get go, shield master is a nice improvement once you have extra attack and can drop the offhand.

smcmike
2016-06-02, 05:36 PM
Yeah I like starting barb. The full 12 HP at level one is nice, and you get pretty decent at dex saves even without proficiency.

I would also consider switching dex and con, for 16/12/16.

Rand84
2016-06-03, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys I hadn't considered swashbuckler / elk my original thoughts were thief / bear I'm not sure about swashbuckler as I'm dumbing Charisma and will have multiple ways to get my SA off via Reckless Attack and/or Shield Master so I'd really only be taking it for the free disengage but the movement bonus from elk I can see being a massive boost for a dwarf!

I think I will now be starting Barb for the HP and saves although swapping my DEX and CON I feel would leave me lagging behind on my Rogue skills like thieves tools stealth etc.

Whilst looking in SCAG to see what elk offered another option presented itself Batllerager / Thief with the medium armour master feat to eliviate the disadvantage to stealth then put +2 in strength and +2 in DEX to bring my DEX up to 16 what do you think??

djreynolds
2016-06-03, 03:58 AM
You can always do both. Go TWF until you have two attacks from barbarian, just incase you need it for your sneak attack. Then from then on go S&B.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-06-03, 03:46 PM
I'd just like to point out the ruling for multi-classing... you will need both at least 13 STR and 13 DEX to be able to multi-class Barbarian/Rogue. Just chiming in due to someone saying lower your dex to 12 to start.

smcmike
2016-06-03, 04:38 PM
I'd just like to point out the ruling for multi-classing... you will need both at least 13 STR and 13 DEX to be able to multi-class Barbarian/Rogue. Just chiming in due to someone saying lower your dex to 12 to start.

Thanks, and good point. Brain fart by me.