PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Weapon of speed question

Max Caysey
2016-06-02, 04:13 PM
Hello guys and girls of all ages...

If you have a +1 long sword of speed, would that allow you to do two attacks when moving at full speed, thus not taking the full attack action? Or does the enchant only give an extra attack at the full attack action?

Thx

Mr Adventurer
2016-06-02, 04:43 PM
Seems pretty straightforward, dude.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-02, 04:48 PM
Seems pretty straightforward, dude.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speedYep. Even when paying out the nose for something casters don't need to bother with, martial characters can't have nice things.

Segev
2016-06-02, 04:56 PM
Yep. Even when paying out the nose for something casters don't need to bother with, martial characters can't have nice things.

I...don't see this as particularly justified. It's not exactly "paying through the nose," though they can frankly get it from their caster buddy casting haste. And an extra attack is still a "nice thing." Why is it only happening on a full attack something that is denying them a "nice thing," particularly when casters lack an analogous ability? (I mean, you're already comparing attacks to spells, and we know that's casters getting better stuff to begin with.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-02, 05:08 PM
I...don't see this as particularly justified. It's not exactly "paying through the nose," though they can frankly get it from their caster buddy casting haste. And an extra attack is still a "nice thing." Why is it only happening on a full attack something that is denying them a "nice thing," particularly when casters lack an analogous ability? (I mean, you're already comparing attacks to spells, and we know that's casters getting better stuff to begin with.)Speed is a +3 weapon property. That is, at the very least, 30,000 gp, increasing in cost considerably as you continue to enhance the weapon in question. Considering that boots of speed are a mere 12,000 gp, and they give additional bonuses along with the extra attack (and they last through most full days, if you only use the effect when you need it), the extra 18,000+ is rather wasted. Plus, those extra +3 in enhancements could easily be used for something else, instead.

I could see the speed enhancement being far more useful if you could use the extra attack any time you made a full-round attack, standard action attack, charge attack, or attack of opportunity, but it's pretty meh compared to the boots.

Segev
2016-06-02, 07:54 PM
Speed is a +3 weapon property. That is, at the very least, 30,000 gp, increasing in cost considerably as you continue to enhance the weapon in question. Considering that boots of speed are a mere 12,000 gp, and they give additional bonuses along with the extra attack (and they last through most full days, if you only use the effect when you need it), the extra 18,000+ is rather wasted. Plus, those extra +3 in enhancements could easily be used for something else, instead.

I could see the speed enhancement being far more useful if you could use the extra attack any time you made a full-round attack, standard action attack, charge attack, or attack of opportunity, but it's pretty meh compared to the boots.

Ah, +3? I thought it was +1. My mistake. Yeah, it's overpriced at +3.

Talar
2016-06-02, 08:34 PM
An interesting fix would be to change the property to give the ability to make an attack as a free action or swift action. Don't really know how this would work in actual gameplay. I can see there being stacking abuse with haste.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-06-02, 08:40 PM
The simple fix to that potential abuse is to not allow it to stack with Haste, or abilities similar to Haste. Just like RAW Speed property does.