PDA

View Full Version : Eternity of Torture + Clamp of Equisite Pain = infinite Ambrosia?

Conradine
2016-06-02, 07:12 PM
So. Since Eternity of Pain stops the target's aging, and since Liquid Joy spell seem to not have the Constitution limit of Liquid Pain about the number of extraction...

is that combo a way to produce virtually infinte Ambrosia?

MisterKaws
2016-06-02, 09:33 PM
I've always considered making a brothel the best method, and also the most profitable, since you get both GP and XP this way.

GnomishPride
2016-06-02, 09:36 PM
Assuming you can get around the 1 day casting time of Distilled Joy (with a trap or whatnot), and your DM is foolish enough to allow this... I don't see any flaws with the plan. With something continually creating vials for the Ambrosia (True Creation trap ideally), and make sure the victim is well protected. No more XP cost for you sir!

Conradine
2016-06-02, 09:53 PM
Ambrosia can be used only for items creation. Anyway, I think that it can be bypassed by creating Scrolls ( that counts as magic items ) for whatever spell that has xp cost.
Still, it cannot technically cover xp cost for epic spells.

Anyway, that could be kind of an "artificial paradise". A suitable alternative to Nine Hells, Hades or Abyss for evil characters.

tropical_punch
2016-06-02, 11:13 PM
Epic spell DCs can be reduced to zero by chain-gating solars (which also means no research time), no XP cost required.

Inevitability
2016-06-03, 06:43 AM
Ambrosia can be used only for items creation. Anyway, I think that it can be bypassed by creating Scrolls ( that counts as magic items ) for whatever spell that has xp cost.
Still, it cannot technically cover xp cost for epic spells.

Anyway, that could be kind of an "artificial paradise". A suitable alternative to Nine Hells, Hades or Abyss for evil characters.

Imagine the PC's rushing in to kill the (probably evil) caster overseeing all that.

DM: "You enter a large, square room about fifty feet in all dimensions. Dozens of stone benches stand in an ordered fashion, each of them occupied by a naked humanoid wearing a small jet black nipple clamp. Their bodies twist as if wracked by intense pain, yet the sounds they emit are those of pleasure. A single homunculus is flying around, collecting vials filled with clear thick fluid and emptying them in one of several large barrels."
Player: "I turn around and leave."

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 06:55 AM
Imagine the PC's rushing in to kill the (probably evil) caster overseeing all that.

DM: "You enter a large, square room about fifty feet in all dimensions. Dozens of stone benches stand in an ordered fashion, each of them occupied by a naked humanoid wearing a small jet black nipple clamp. Their bodies twist as if wracked by intense pain, yet the sounds they emit are those of pleasure. A single homunculus is flying around, collecting vials filled with clear thick fluid and emptying them in one of several large barrels."
Player: "I turn around and leave."
or I cast mind rape on homuculus time to meet his new boss to much lucrative business to destroy or leave alone ( call me evil I dont care )

Crake
2016-06-03, 07:14 AM
or I cast mind rape on homuculus time to meet his new boss to much lucrative business to destroy or leave alone ( call me evil I dont care )

homonculi are constructs, immune to mind affecting/mind rape.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 07:35 AM
homonculi are constructs, immune to mind affecting/mind rape.
any way get that thing to work for you instead of the previous guy

Inevitability
2016-06-03, 08:25 AM
any way get that thing to work for you instead of the previous guy

You can cast Polymorph Any Object on the Homunculus to turn it into a creature that isn't innately immune to mind-affecting effects, then cast Mindrape. Dispel PaO to turn it back into a homunculus, and now it's loyal to you. You're still not its master, though, so it will probably be unable to travel with you.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 08:50 AM
You can cast Polymorph Any Object on the Homunculus to turn it into a creature that isn't innately immune to mind-affecting effects, then cast Mindrape. Dispel PaO to turn it back into a homunculus, and now it's loyal to you. You're still not its master, though, so it will probably be unable to travel with you.
he dont need to travel just send the product to me so I can sell

zergling.exe
2016-06-03, 09:03 AM
he dont need to travel just send the product to me so I can sell

Then the master returns because the ambrosia stopped coming, kills the homunculs, makes a new one, and magic wards the facility to high heaven. Because they are level 17+ and likely already have the resources to best you at this game 100x over.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 09:33 AM
Then the master returns because the ambrosia stopped coming, kills the homunculs, makes a new one, and magic wards the facility to high heaven. Because they are level 17+ and likely already have the resources to best you at this game 100x over.
spare few coins and ask tavern wench to send the party to old owners place you can do lot more with good optimization (vigilante class is must due dual identity and keeping quest giver and new entrepreneur separate from each other with divining proof way) so any thing I missed in plan
by the way Red Fel Red Fel Red Fel let the master gives the opinion of the idea

MisterKaws
2016-06-03, 09:49 AM
spare few coins and ask tavern wench to send the party to old owners place you can do lot more with good optimization (vigilante class is must due dual identity and keeping quest giver and new entrepreneur separate from each other with divining proof way) so any thing I missed in plan
by the way Red Fel Red Fel Red Fel let the master gives the opinion of the idea

The guy has near-infinite XP stored by the time you've arrived; you ain't stealing his stuff and leaving alive.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 10:02 AM
putting wanted ad on his a*s and stealing his operations i think he is already angry on you so why not put some eager pcs to on his tail so you prepare for inevitable face off. Plus pcs either solve your problem by killing him of give valuable time to prepare for him and this is why I say vigilantae is must thanks to dual identity he either gets big bad who try to usurp him or npc quest giver ho trys to arrest him bonus points if quest giver is your every man id so if they kill him or things get iffy you can disapear in to smoke

zergling.exe
2016-06-03, 10:19 AM
putting wanted ad on his a*s and stealing his operations i think he is already angry on you so why not put some eager pcs to on his tail so you prepare for inevitable face off. Plus pcs either solve your problem by killing him of give valuable time to prepare for him and this is why I say vigilantae is must thanks to dual identity he either gets big bad who try to usurp him or npc quest giver ho trys to arrest him bonus points if quest giver is your every man id so if they kill him or things get iffy you can disapear in to smoke

With infinite XP comes infinite wishes, there is no way you can hide from their divinations. And even if you do, they can just wish you in to a trap they prepared. They will find you, and they will add you to the XP farm.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 10:36 AM
With infinite XP comes infinite wishes, there is no way you can hide from their divinations. And even if you do, they can just wish you in to a trap they prepared. They will find you, and they will add you to the XP farm.
its if they still has another plantation if he have just one its basically war of attrition and I can use same strategy to get even( like few lieutenants to organize the schedule) with them plus with several pc teams on his ass he need different set of priories in his situation like surviving from next assassination attempt and vigilante gives me 50% to not seeing with his atemps
edit for vigilante class check this link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante)

Inevitability
2016-06-03, 01:15 PM
its if they still has another plantation if he have just one its basically war of attrition and I can use same strategy to get even( like few lieutenants to organize the schedule) with them plus with several pc teams on his ass he need different set of priories in his situation like surviving from next assassination attempt and vigilante gives me 50% to not seeing with his atemps
edit for vigilante class check this link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante)

Your argument boils down to: 'If my foe has NI XP, and I can slowly get NI XP over several years, and I make myself a huge target by stealing the means of getting said XP from him, we are about even'. I really don't think that's how it works.

On the parties you suppose will come after him: anyone strong enough to be a threat to a 17th-level caster won't be found in a tavern waiting for someone to put up a 'wanted' poster, and anyone who would see your poster will only be more XP and equipment for him (not that he needed it, but still).

The class you linked is pathfinder material, and as such not applicable in this discussion.

khadgar567
2016-06-03, 01:20 PM
sorry i dont get the last part

MisterKaws
2016-06-03, 03:45 PM
sorry i dont get the last part

This is a 3.5e thread, even if not tagged as such.

SangoProduction
2016-06-03, 05:28 PM
This is a 3.5e thread, even if not tagged as such.

I thought these threads default to 3.5 unless tagged as something else?

MisterKaws
2016-06-04, 06:34 AM
I thought these threads default to 3.5 unless tagged as something else?

There's a 3.5 tag too, and lots of people have been posting untagged PF stuff lately.

Sian
2016-06-04, 06:45 AM
and lots of people have been posting untagged PF stuff lately.

And lots of people drink'n'drive ... :smalltongue:

SangoProduction
2016-06-04, 03:15 PM
There's a 3.5 tag too, and lots of people have been posting untagged PF stuff lately.

Since when? I only ever saw 3.0 tag.

Kazyan
2016-06-06, 06:12 PM
In theory? Yup. And for the first few days, it'll work in practice.

However.

Eternity of Torture is the most evil spell in D&D 3.5. It puts a target into solitary confinement, slowly erasing their personality and mind until all they'll ever experience is unimaginable torture, helplessly, unable to even remember what the world used to be like (Int 0), with none of the mental strength that could aid in enduring it (Wis 0), and no longer able to separate themselves from the pain (Cha 0). Forever. It will never end. Their universe contains nothing, not even themselves, only agony. It's a 9th-level Necromancy [Evil] spell for a good reason. There's no way to make it worse, be that in terms of divine magic or in utilitarian theory.

If you're going to try to invert this via a magic item based on an Enchantment seven levels lower, which also carries the [Evil] descriptor, sure, it'll work at first. But your DM is going to get ideas.

If nothing else, they might rule that a creature with 0 in all mental attributes can experience raw pleasure, but nothing that we would recognize as the "bliss" necessary for Distilled Joy.

Yogibear41
2016-06-06, 08:29 PM

Can also Rebuke it if you are a cleric with the Warforged Domain.

khadgar567
2016-06-06, 08:47 PM
Can also Rebuke it if you are a cleric with the Warforged Domain.
Prefer stirges metod because its more accesable

Inevitability
2016-06-07, 12:52 AM
If nothing else, they might rule that a creature with 0 in all mental attributes can experience raw pleasure, but nothing that we would recognize as the "bliss" necessary for Distilled Joy.

Easily remedied: have the homunculus drag the tortured beings on an endlessly repeating trap of Greater Restoration every day.

Conradine
2016-06-07, 02:20 AM
There's no way to make it worse, be that in terms of divine magic or in utilitarian theory.

Actually, following Vile Darkness guidelines, the swift and painless destruction of a soul is the worst possible action.
Go figure.