PDA

View Full Version : Who gets cantrip+attack?

Jarlhen
2016-06-03, 01:28 AM
Essentially who gets the 'war magic' ability, to use one cantrip and then an attack on top of that. I know Eldritch Knight gets it at level 7, but does anyone else and if so what level?

Arkhios
2016-06-03, 01:35 AM
Essentially who gets the 'war magic' ability, to use one cantrip and then an attack on top of that. I know Eldritch Knight gets it at level 7, but does anyone else and if so what level?

College of Valor Bard gets it at level 14.

Any sorcerer above 3rd level who also has Quicken Metamagic gain a similar benefit.

Inevitability
2016-06-03, 03:32 AM
The SCAG cantrips are also somewhat similar to this, in that they give you an attack with a cantrip-level benefit attached if you hit.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 07:46 AM
What are you looking to do?

Jarlhen
2016-06-03, 11:29 AM
What are you looking to do?

I was mostly playing around with the idea of having a cleric that gets to throw out a SCAG cantrip and a bonus attack. It wasn't a serious build, more of a thought to see if it was possible prior to level 7.

Biggstick
2016-06-03, 11:46 AM
I was mostly playing around with the idea of having a cleric that gets to throw out a SCAG cantrip and a bonus attack. It wasn't a serious build, more of a thought to see if it was possible prior to level 7.

If you have a lenient DM who'd be willing to work with you, you could go War Cleric + something that gains BB/GFB (High Elf cantrip, Half Elf skill versatility, Warlock/Sorcerer/Wizard, etc). If your DM is feeling particularly nice, he might allow you to cast one of the melee cantrips + the extra attack from War Priest.

This definitely wouldn't fly in an AL game though, as War Priest states you can only take the bonus action attack if you take the Attack action on your turn.

EvanescentHero
2016-06-03, 11:47 AM
Do bladesingers get it?

Biggstick
2016-06-03, 11:56 AM
Do bladesingers get it?

Bladesinger's get extra attack at level 6, but they do not naturally gain the ability you're talking about.

A way you could do it with a Bladesinger though is to cast Haste upon yourself, use your primary action for the cantrip and the extra action granted by Haste to attack.

In fact one of the ways you could achieve what you're looking for is by finding a class that casts Haste upon itself.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 11:59 AM
Do bladesingers get it?
Get what? They do get the GFB and BB cantrips but they don't get war magic.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 12:04 PM
My next character is going to be a dragon sorcerer
Where on a novel round I will have haste up on my self and someone else with twin spell. Then next turn cast greenflame blade and quicken it to a bonus action. Then cast it again then I get a free weapon attack. So that's 3 weapon attacks and 2 greenflame blade spell damage.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-03, 12:19 PM
Where on a novel round I will have haste up on my self and someone else with twin spell. Then next turn cast greenflame blade and quicken it to a bonus action. Then cast it again then I get a free weapon attack. So that's 3 weapon attacks and 2 greenflame blade spell damage.

Keep in mind that haste is actually a bad spell to twin if you are being targeted by multiple creatures/attacks. Two PCs losing turns due to lethargy? Yeah...

Jarlhen
2016-06-03, 01:46 PM
If you have a lenient DM who'd be willing to work with you, you could go War Cleric + something that gains BB/GFB (High Elf cantrip, Half Elf skill versatility, Warlock/Sorcerer/Wizard, etc). If your DM is feeling particularly nice, he might allow you to cast one of the melee cantrips + the extra attack from War Priest.

This definitely wouldn't fly in an AL game though, as War Priest states you can only take the bonus action attack if you take the Attack action on your turn.

Yeah I did consider that, but it's highly limited as they only get +wis bonus attacks per day I believe. The idea would be to do it in the same manner as the EK ability. It's the same reason I didn't go for haste, for instance, as it's a finite resource and not the same. I didn't think there was any way around it, but I figured I'd ask to double check.

Dalebert
2016-06-03, 02:57 PM

Is GFB really worth 2 sorcery points? *shrug* I'll have to check out the math sometime. I prefer BB myself because it seems less context dependent. GFB shines mainly when there are two enemies adjacent which seems rare.

Keep in mind that haste is actually a bad spell to twin if you are being targeted by multiple creatures/attacks. Two PCs losing turns due to lethargy? Yeah...

Absolutely it's important to consider that. However, my sorcerer is a fan of it because #1 he has proficiency with con saves and #2 Hasting himself makes it easier to maintain concentration. He can move REALLY fast to avoid things, he has +2 AC, and he has an extra action for things like dodge or disengage. I think it balances out. It's a judgment call obviously.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 03:57 PM
Is GFB really worth 2 sorcery points? *shrug* I'll have to check out the math sometime. I prefer BB myself because it seems less context dependent. GFB shines mainly when there are two enemies adjacent which seems rare.

Absolutely it's important to consider that. However, my sorcerer is a fan of it because #1 he has proficiency with con saves and #2 Hasting himself makes it easier to maintain concentration. He can move REALLY fast to avoid things, he has +2 AC, and he has an extra action for things like dodge or disengage. I think it balances out. It's a judgment call obviously.

I'll have both at the ready I'll pull out GFB if there are two or more by each other. And I didn't like BB because I didn't like the ideal of losing the extra damage but then I for got its a good thing to lose the extra damage because it means they are not moving. And people for get all the stuff haste gives them. +2 to ac, doubling your speed, advantage on dex saves, and a free action to make a weapon attack or take dash disengage hide or use object.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 04:06 PM
I justified the 2 sp because that the way of play I want.

Corran
2016-06-03, 04:18 PM
Paladins of the oath of the ancients can do sth similar once they hit 20 level. The capstone ability of that oath (elder chamion), once activated (1/day with a duration of 1 minute if I recall correctly), allows you to cast paladin spells with your bonus action, thus allowing you to attack with your action.

bid
2016-06-03, 04:47 PM
Sorcerer 3 can twin BB. You'd need an arcane cleric to use Wis for BB though.

It's cheaper than quicken and it doesn't use your bonus action. Not quite what you were looking for I guess.

Rysto
2016-06-03, 05:50 PM
Sorcerer 3 can twin BB. You'd need an arcane cleric to use Wis for BB though.

Did you mean GFB? BB doesn't use any spellcasting modifier.

bid
2016-06-03, 06:05 PM
Did you mean GFB? BB doesn't use any spellcasting modifier.
Erm, brain fart.

Lets say I totally meant for potent spellcasting. Yeah. Not that you could twin GFB anyway.