PDA

View Full Version : Horde Breaker + BB/GFB

Biggstick
2016-06-03, 12:37 PM
Would this work? For a class that only has one attack when it takes the attack action (Rogue/Cleric/etc) and somehow has access to BB/GFB as well as 3 levels in Ranger for Horde Breaker. Would one be able to make the BB/GFB attack + the extra attack on another target from Horde Breaker?

GFB: As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spell casting ability modifier.

BB: As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

Horde Breaker: Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same wapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon.

It would appear to me that since Horde Breaker doesn't require you to make the attack action and only a weapon attack, that you still qualify to use it if you cast GFB or BB. Thoughts Playground?

Specter
2016-06-03, 12:52 PM
I would allow it, but it gets bad with Extra Attack (unless you have War Magic somehow).

Plaguescarred
2016-06-03, 01:06 PM
Seems like it work RAW since Horde Breaker doesn't involve using the Attack action.

Spacehamster
2016-06-03, 02:02 PM
8 Eldritch knight 3 Hunter Ranger 9 Assassin would be pretty cool then.

BB/GFB + 1 attack + horde breaker attack and add sneak attack die on one of the regular attacks. :)

Plaguescarred
2016-06-03, 02:14 PM
8 Eldritch knight 3 Hunter Ranger 9 Assassin would be pretty cool then.

BB/GFB + 1 attack + horde breaker attack and add sneak attack die on one of the regular attacks. :)Bold emphasis mine.

What's the + 1 attack from?

Mrglee
2016-06-03, 02:22 PM
Bold emphasis mine.

EK's level 7 feature, it is still casting a cantrip.

Spacehamster
2016-06-03, 02:30 PM
Bold emphasis mine.

Eldritch knight lvl 7 lets you do a cantrip + 1 attack as a bonus action. :)

Plaguescarred
2016-06-03, 03:26 PM
Oh yes Ok now that's sweet!!

Biggstick
2016-06-03, 04:47 PM
I would allow it, but it gets bad with Extra Attack (unless you have War Magic somehow).

Obviously it's not good with the Extra Attack feature, but on classes that are only making one attack anyways, it might work pretty well.

Other then that, thanks for the confirmation Playground!