PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Utility Fighter

Ethernil
2016-06-03, 12:43 PM
I want to design a front line fighter for a future group using the dungeoncrusher fighter acf (6 lvls of fighter) and fill the rest with dips or even some prc that is worth it. I know tome of battle makes that easy, essentially warblade or crusader 20 is ideal but i want to make the build without using any tob stuff (maybe some non maneuver-stance feats like superior unarmed strike are ok).

This is what i have designed so far:

Race: Changeling, for 1 lvl of feat rogue at lvl 1 granting 40 skill points and for access to the warshaper prc without spell casting abilities, maybe a second level of feat rogue later for extra skill points and access to some prc.

Classes: Rogue 1-2, fighter 6, barbarian 1, warshaper 3-4, MAYBE exotic weapon master 1-2, MAYBE 3 levels of stoneblessed(goliath) to get access to the knockback feat without cheese and also mountain rage acf for barb(rage that gives 2 extra str and large size for duration).

Feats: Hyena tribe hunter(for tripping bonus and skipping combat expertise and thus the need for 13 int), improved trip, power attack, leap attack, improved bull rush, shock trooper, knockback leaving 2-4 to play depending on the rest of the classes used.

The idea is to have options in combat with tripping, power attacking-bullrushing and if there are enough feats grappling and some extra skill points to work with outside combat. Oh and you get to open-locks-doors-walls and disarm traps the old fashioned way.

I want constructive criticism and ideas, not "go druid it's a better fighter" i know it is, we don't play high op, we mostly rp and i want to be a bossy muscular guy with a kind heart.

Campaign setting is faerun 3.5, everything wotc 3.5 except magazines and psionics is available. No pathfinder, homebrew, 3d party etc.

Troacctid
2016-06-03, 12:58 PM
You can use Enlarge Person + Permanency to qualify for Knockback.

Inevitability
2016-06-03, 01:10 PM
If your DM considers dragon magazine updates official, maybe play a Hengeyokai? Like changelings, they qualify for warshaper, except you get to turn into a small animal rather than different humanoids. Amongst other things, this can get you an at-will fly, swim, or burrow speed. IMO it's a better ability, if only because a 1800 GP magic item doesn't duplicate most of its benefits.

OldTrees1
2016-06-03, 01:43 PM
I would consider gaining an on hit status effect like Staggering Strike.

Also apparently in Complete Arcane there is the Clouting weapon enhancement (+3 enhancement, on hit Fort save DC 19 or be knocked back 10ft/fall & on failed save Fort save DC 19 or be stunned).

If you go mountain rage don't forget the Extra Rage feat. 3/day >> 1/day.

Personally I liked what Scarlet Corsair 5 had to offer in the Feint & Demoralize (combine with Imperious Command) departments.

mabriss lethe
2016-06-03, 03:58 PM
I'd be tempted to go for Zhentarim fighter substitution levels to tack on some fearmongering. It doesn't interfere with dungeoncrasher (ZF levels are 3,5,9, while DC levels are 2 and 6.) Being able to demoralize as a swift action might be worth extending your stay in fighter until level 9. Though you still get a nice ability in Extended Intimidate if you decide against it.

OldTrees1
2016-06-03, 04:14 PM
I'd be tempted to go for Zhentarim fighter substitution levels to tack on some fearmongering. It doesn't interfere with dungeoncrasher (ZF levels are 3,5,9, while DC levels are 2 and 6.) Being able to demoralize as a swift action might be worth extending your stay in fighter until level 9. Though you still get a nice ability in Extended Intimidate if you decide against it.

In the Underdark book there is the Fearsome Armor enhancement that allows move action demoralize. I find that a fitting addition/substitute to the Fighter 9 swift demoralize

Gildedragon
2016-06-03, 04:49 PM
Instead of rogue, factotum 3; if you want to be skillsome you probably want some fair bit of int, and +int to your Dex and Str skills is quite handy.
Binder 1 gets you a lot of face support (going further than changeling rogue 1)
Human instead of changeling (it is a 12 skillpoint difference v human factotum, you will make it up fast. 11 point difference v using your human feat for nymph's kiss; if not using the changeling for something in particular: skip it)

Ethernil
2016-06-07, 12:59 PM
I have already played 2 factotums(factoti?), 1 full and 1 with chameleon, i don't want to play another. I don't really want to be skillsome i just wanted to have good base skills like jump swim etc, i might ditch the whole rogue dip idea as well as it delays the build needlessly. I want to play a straight binder at some point but i want to keep this character as mundane as possible.

Zhentarim soldier is from an online source and my dm doesn't allow those. He also banned me from picking font of inspiration on factotum and said no when i asked if i could use the Zceryl vestige on binder. Also the zhentarim are an evil organization and our group has clashed with it's head (both Chembryl and Manshoon, not directly with the latter, we just participated in a battle royale of good vs evil) and i m most definitely sure i ll get the looks from the entire table even if i use the whole evil-redeemed-to-good character that everyone so loves.

Staggering strike needs at least 3 dice of sneak attack which i m not getting, so it's useless, also i m prolly not getting rogue it seems.

So the build changes to this:
1)1-6 Fighter: DungeonCrasher, feats:(f1)Hyena tribe Hunter, (1)improved Trip, (3)combat reflexes,(f4)blindfight, (6)power attack
2)7-9 Stoneblessed(goliath), feats:(9)Knockback
3)10 Barbarian(lion totem, mountain rage acfs)
4)11-13 Warshaper, feats:(12)mageslayer
5)i really can't make up my mind, more feats are needed but warrior is really weak at this point, 1 idea is 2 lvls of monk for feats, another is a warblade dip and contrinuation as bloodstorm warblade (i know i said no TOB but this prc doesn't advance initiator stuff, it's mostly to make you ranged combat capable and it's cool). These lvls is where i need help with, the group will probably continue into epic levels so anything that is only good at low levels is preferably avoided.

Ethernil
2016-06-10, 06:27 AM
Noone has something to suggest?

Another idea if i do add spell casting could be to cut the build to lvl 10 as is on the previous post, swap changeling for human and take lvls 11-20 as a chameleon. But i won't have many skill points or int-wis ability scores.

Beardbarian
2016-06-10, 06:53 AM
Spend resources in UMD.
Invest in utilities like a slotless ring of grease or a wand of cure, spam them and leave the spellslots free for the casters.

Twurps
2016-06-12, 05:15 AM
Since you already have 1 level of barbarian. Take lvl2 Barbarian, with the wolf totem ACF from UA. (Yes you can combine this with the lion spirit totem you already have).
This gives you improved trip (without the need for the prereq's) so you can even drop the hyena Tribe hunter if you want (And thus remove the need to be human, which you seemed to have missed with the changeling idea). So saving at least 1, and possibly 2 feat slots for just 1 Class level.

the only problem I see with this is that in your current build, this wouldn't fit until lvl 11. You might want to consider moving stoneblessed up to earlier levels. Or you can take improved trip and it's prereq at the earlier levels, and retrain them once you get it from barbarian, so it doesn't take 10 levels to get your tripping online.

Ethernil
2016-06-13, 04:56 AM
All in all stoneblessed seems weaker and weaker to me. It might be a better idea to bite the bullet and take a -1 lvl adjusted to play an actual goliath. Start as barbarian at lvl 1 to get pounce and mountain rage along with powerful build, improved trip via barb 2 and then continue with dungeoncrasher. That prevents getting warshaper though but makes the build work as early as lvl 4. Kinda like trading lategame potential for early game boost. Well the +4 str +2 con might offset some of the warshaper boosts but immunity to crits and precision damage along with 5 ft range are very strong. Especially when you have a dm that might not let you buy heavy fortification for your armor until really high lvls.

Dragonborn Goliath should be even better but although i should be able to pass the goliath as an overgrown human through the dm (he doesn't like monstrous races) he might ban dragonborn or just plainly screw me when it comes to social interactions in towns and villages. In case of dragonborn, is wings or mind aspect?.

OldTrees1
2016-06-13, 10:16 AM
All in all stoneblessed seems weaker and weaker to me. It might be a better idea to bite the bullet and take a -1 lvl adjusted to play an actual goliath.

Dragonborn Goliath should be even better but although i should be able to pass the goliath as an overgrown human through the dm (he doesn't like monstrous races) he might ban dragonborn or just plainly screw me when it comes to social interactions in towns and villages. In case of dragonborn, is wings or mind aspect?.

I agree Dragonborn Goliath is a very nice race. I suggest the Wings aspect since Flight is one of those necessary utilities.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-06-14, 02:22 AM
I agree Dragonborn Goliath is a very nice race. I suggest the Wings aspect since Flight is one of those necessary utilities.

Especially for a Melee combatant with no focus on Ranged attacks, even just getting a Composite Longbow set to your Strength or just below it can be a huge benefit without any more than the gold cost and not dumping your Dexterity. With the Wings aspect, you can probably get away with putting off upgrading the bow for a lot longer, or for lesser upgrades when you do get around to it. If nothing else you could get a +1 Throwing Axe of Returning for some short-range attacks.

Ethernil
2016-06-15, 07:41 AM
Really high strength warrants throwing weapons over bows i suppose, especialy if dumping dex is a possibility. I think there is a feat that makes ranged attack rolls based off of str for thrown weapons.
I ve been wondering, can i grab or grapple an enemy, fly high with my wings and drop him to his death or at least cause serious damage that way?

Jowgen
2016-06-15, 08:08 AM
Really high strength warrants throwing weapons over bows i suppose, especialy if dumping dex is a possibility. I think there is a feat that makes ranged attack rolls based off of str for thrown weapons.
I ve been wondering, can i grab or grapple an enemy, fly high with my wings and drop him to his death or at least cause serious damage that way?

If you go thrower, Gauntlets of Extended Range and either Helm of the Hunter (MIC) or Farsight Goggles (CM) will tripple (or depending on how stacking of range is ruled, quadruple) your range, which might be nice.

For your flying question, I think the "All about movement" series of articles covers that one?

Troacctid
2016-06-15, 03:48 PM

That's what the Snatch feat is for, although I imagine you'll have a tough time meeting the prerequisites.

Ethernil
2016-06-24, 11:18 AM
Returning to my initial changeling build. I noticed you can qualify for stoneblessed at lvl 3 so the build can work like this:

1-2 lvl: Fighter with dungeoncrasher, ewp:spiked chain and power attack
3-5 lvl: Stoneblessed (goliath) with improved bullrush
6-7 lvl: Barbarian with mountain rage, pounce and improved trip via totem acfs along with knockback feat
8-11 lvl: Fighter with combat reflexes, shock trooper,blind fight
12+: Warshaper with mage slayer, pierce magical concealment