PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yamato. Devil May Cry Katana.

Strikerjolt460
2016-06-03, 03:38 PM
Hello! I am making some custom homebrew things from Devil May Cry such as Vergil's Dark Slayer style, Dante's, Royal Guard, Trickster, and Sword master. I will also be making a few items from the series such as Yamato, Rebellion, Force Edge, Beowulf, the Perfect Amulets, etc. All weapons will be high level, artifact level intended at high levels only.

I feel like Yamato is at a good place to share with everyone.
I do want some opinions on the Devil Trigger, if it's too OP even for high level and what I can do to adjust it.
I plan on making a special Devil Trigger power for each of the weapons based on their play style in game and their themes within the game, such as Cerberus being ice damage so the D.T will increase ice damage and be able to cast ice spells. etc.

Yamato +3
Weapon (Katana) Artifact (Requires attunement)

Katana properties:
Finesse, Versatile (1d10 slashing damage.)
Damage:
1d8 slashing damage.

Special powers
• Plane Shift 2x/day
• Gate 3x/day
• Wind Slice at will
• Devil Trigger 2x/day

Yamato is a katana with an gold guard; the exact details of how it looks change throughout history. The Tsuka ("handle") has the traditional gold wrapping, with black ornaments, and the Tsuba ("guard") is octagonal. The blade features several intricate ornaments, most notable is a relief of a dragon at the endpoint of the hilt. The scabbard is black, made of traditional lacquered wood, and features several metallic ornaments on its far end. It also features a golden sageo, the cord used to tie the katana to the waist.

You may us Plane Shift 2 times per day as the 7th level spell. You can recharge the Plane Shift spell in the same day by sacrificing a diamond worth 250 gp or by taking a long rest.

You can use Gate to open or close a dimensional gate 3 times per day as the 9th level spell. You can recharge the Gate spell in the same day by sacrificing a diamond worth 5000 gp or by taking a long rest.

At will once per attack you can perform a wind slice, sending a force of wind that slices like the blade (sharpness) up to 60’ away. When you attack an object with this magic sword and hit, maximize your weapon damage dice against the target. When you attack a creature with this weapon and roll a 18-20 on the attack roll, that target takes an extra 14 slashing damage. Then roll another d20. If you roll a 20 you lop off one of the target's limbs, with the effect of such loss determined by the DM. If the creature has limb to sever, you lop off a portion of its body instead. In addition, you can speak the sword's command word to cause the blade to shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. Speaking the command word again or sheathing the sword puts out the light.

Devil Trigger:
Is a special power possessed by Devils and Devil hybrids which allows them to release their full supernatural potential. While in Devil Trigger, the user will assume their true form. In this form, many of the character's physical and magical attributes are amplified. When activated, The player gains a blue translucent demon that encompasses their body. The player eyes turn a burning red, gaining a blue aura and a deeper echoing voice.

You can enter Devil Trigger with a bonus action. While in Devil Trigger, you gain the follow benefits;

• You gain advantage on all your dexterity attacks.
• You gain advantage on all your dexterity saving throws.
• You deal an extra 4 damage on all successful attacks.
• You gain resistance to all damage.
• Your movement increases by 15 feet.
• You can critically threat range increases by 2 to a maximum of 18-20
• You regenerate 1 hit point per turn. (10 hit points per minute.)

Devil Trigger lasts for one minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious.

Final Hyena
2016-06-04, 08:11 AM
One thing to establish is a "Yamato Crit Range" which is 2 bigger than normal as to not mess around with those who get better crits naturally. Also specify versatile damage.

Strikerjolt460
2016-06-04, 12:40 PM
One thing to establish is a "Yamato Crit Range" which is 2 bigger than normal as to not mess around with those who get better crits naturally. Also specify versatile damage.

Hi! Thanks for your input. I specified the versatile damage and reworded the threat range.

I was also wondering if I should up the regeneration.

Final Hyena
2016-06-04, 01:32 PM
Hi! Thanks for your input. I specified the versatile damage and reworded the threat range.
I meant to change the threat range to be two more than normal, so for example if a champion picks it up he doesn't lose out as he may already have an 18-20 crit range.

I was also wondering if I should up the regeneration.
Up to you, I mean the item is already pretty godly. Do remember that balancing encounters when you buff players up gets trickier.

Strikerjolt460
2016-06-04, 03:01 PM
I meant to change the threat range to be two more than normal, so for example if a champion picks it up he doesn't lose out as he may already have an 18-20 crit range.

Up to you, I mean the item is already pretty godly. Do remember that balancing encounters when you buff players up gets trickier.

Right, right.
That's good point. I'll come up with something to do with critical strikes or just remove it. Thanks for your input again.

I feel like D.T shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's basically the same as a barbarian rage at high level but much more limited to two times a day instead of 6 and also being able to last the entire encounter.