PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a weapon design

Frywick
2016-06-03, 06:15 PM
I have the idea to give one of my players a maul that has a kinda steampunkish contraption on the head of the hammer that causes a small explosion and accelerates the swing of the hammer with the strength of the explosion. I'm not sure how to statisticly make it different in terms of damage done or modifiers to hit. Help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Renewal
2016-06-03, 06:24 PM
Maybe make it something like Guiding Bolt: deal an additional 4d6 (or whatever) damage on a hit--representing the explosion's damage--and then have advantage on the next attack--representing the boost in speed. You could scale the damage appropriately, or make it splash damage like a true explosion, or whatever. Or instead of advantage, maybe have it grant a bonus action attack, with the explosion allowing the user to whip around and instantly attack again.

Just some random thoughts off the top of my head.

georgie_leech
2016-06-03, 06:30 PM
First thing, this might be better in the homebrew section. With that out of the way, the question is how you want to balance this. Is it a regular weapon that can be used at will? Something that requires a recharge time? An attuned item? Something else that you're not intending to worry about balance for?

Gastronomie
2016-06-03, 06:34 PM
You could base it off Green-Flame blade. The "leaping fire" represents the explosion, while the extra damage at high levels represents the damage boost.

Frywick
2016-06-03, 06:47 PM
First thing, this might be better in the homebrew section. With that out of the way, the question is how you want to balance this. Is it a regular weapon that can be used at will? Something that requires a recharge time? An attuned item? Something else that you're not intending to worry about balance for?

I was concerned whether to put it here or homebrew as the balencing is different for different editions, atleast that was my logic, I'll move over there. Im not sure if I want it to have a recharge functon, I was just open to suggestions

Logosloki
2016-06-03, 07:17 PM
Is this a reward weapon or a regular weapon? Regular weapon would just be a great maul. I would assume in a steampunk setting that players are more gentry/working class rather than circus/exhibition strongperson. Reward weapon non magical would be greatmaul, bonus action to ignite a charge to deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage (1d6 charges, holds 8 charges, charges cost x gp to buy). Reward magical as above with some spells that can be expended instead of the usual charge.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-03, 07:42 PM
Given that sounds like it'd be hard to use, I have two suggestions:

A: When you activate the contraption*, you can take a penalty up of to -5 to your attack roll to add twice the penalty to your attack roll (e.g. a -2 to hit gives +4 to damage).

B: When you activate the contraption*, you attack with disadvantage but if your attack hits is is a critical hit.

*You choose whether or not to activate the contraption prior to making an attack roll. It does not require an action.

Frywick
2016-06-03, 08:31 PM
Is this a reward weapon or a regular weapon? Regular weapon would just be a great maul. I would assume in a steampunk setting that players are more gentry/working class rather than circus/exhibition strongperson. Reward weapon non magical would be greatmaul, bonus action to ignite a charge to deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage (1d6 charges, holds 8 charges, charges cost x gp to buy). Reward magical as above with some spells that can be expended instead of the usual charge.

In the setting I'm running, gnomes are a inventive race and make things like bikes and large pulley systems to act as a mail system. Its meant to be a reward to the party for helping a old gnome complete his "greatest work"

JackPhoenix
2016-06-03, 08:49 PM
A: When you activate the contraption*, you can take a penalty up of to -5 to your attack roll to add twice the penalty to your attack roll (e.g. a -2 to hit gives +4 to damage).

I know it's a typo, but... so you can activate the -5 penalty to attack roll to get -10 to attack roll? Does it stack for -15 total?

B: When you activate the contraption*, you attack with disadvantage but if your attack hits is is a critical hit.

That would be nasty if you already had disadvantage (so no further penalties), or had an easy way to get advantage to negate the penalty (shove, Reckless Attack).

georgie_leech
2016-06-03, 10:24 PM
In the setting I'm running, gnomes are a inventive race and make things like bikes and large pulley systems to act as a mail system. Its meant to be a reward to the party for helping a old gnome complete his "greatest work"

Hm. In my experience gnomish inventions never quite works the way you want it to; they bring to mind images of jerryrigging and unreliability. So how about something like...

Whirling Hammer-shaped Agonizing Masher

This weapon has undergone extensive remodeling by gnomish techniques into a strange contraption vaguely resembling a hammer. This weapon is treated as a Maul in most respects. A secret explosive concealed in a device on the head may be triggered to increase swing speed and power. Using an Object Interaction, you can cause the first successful attack with this weapon made as part of an Attack Action. Doing so causes the triggering attack to deal an additional 2d6 fire damage, each attack after the triggering attack is made with Disadvantage, and you can make one additional attack as part of the Attack Action. A gnomish device replenishes this explosive after 1d4 rounds.

Thoughts? I can scale this up, down, or add more mishap as required.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-03, 11:26 PM
You can give yourself advantage on a single attack roll by pressing a button as part of the attack. After using the hammer in this way, you must spend some amount of time properly affixing another shaped charge to use it in this way again. Replacing the charges isn't free either.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-06-03, 11:44 PM
I can't help feel that if you're going to put explosives in a maul, it would be more painful to make it explode at the front end on impact than to have it explode at the back end for a reaction speed boost. For one thing, you wouldn't as often have it going off to no effect.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-04, 05:58 AM
I know it's a typo, but... so you can activate the -5 penalty to attack roll to get -10 to attack roll? Does it stack for -15 total?

Oops. I meant add a bonus equal to twice the penalty to your damage roll, à la Sharpshooter or Great Weapon Master.

That would be nasty if you already had disadvantage (so no further penalties), or had an easy way to get advantage to negate the penalty (shove, Reckless Attack).

I suppose. Possibly have it not be usable when one already has disadvantage from another source. In the latter case, you're still paying for it by not having the advantage. Or one could just have the disadvantage not be nullifiable.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-04, 08:08 AM
I can't help feel that if you're going to put explosives in a maul, it would be more painful to make it explode at the front end on impact that to have it explode at the back end for a reaction speed boost. For one thing, you wouldn't as often have it going off to no effect.

That does make sense. How about adding a d6 of thunder damage to a successful attack?