PDA

View Full Version : Artificer and spell traps

CIDE
2016-06-03, 07:57 PM
We all know the stuff with magic traps. But after reading through the SRD Spell Traps seem to be less defined and have less of an outline on how they're used/created. It could be that I'm misunderstanding the information laid out or that I'm just missing a great deal of information posted elsewhere or kept strictly in the DMG (I'm AFB rightnow).

What we know:
By default the trigger of the trap is defined in the spell description*
No option to reset the trap
Can be bypassed
Produces the spell effect
All saving throws and CR's

*I'm don't understand what the trigger would be.

I guess in a general sense my question to you all is if you guys perhaps know of a better way of explaining how this work as both a DM tool and something for Player characters? I don't see rules on how to create them or any crafting DC's nor do I actually see how the trigger system works. So how long does it take? Or is it as simple as just casting a spell?

Finally, from an optimization stand point could an Artificer make a Spell Trap? If so is this basically a free spell they can cast if they can use the trigger? The last part is purely from a DM point of view for a potential high OP campaign.

Troacctid
2016-06-03, 08:20 PM
Spell traps are literally just spells. Examples include glyph of warding, fire trap, and symbol of death. There are no special rules for constructing them—you cast the spell, and there you go, that's it, that's the trap.

CIDE
2016-06-03, 08:28 PM
Spell traps are literally just spells. Examples include glyph of warding, fire trap, and symbol of death. There are no special rules for constructing them—you cast the spell, and there you go, that's it, that's the trap.

The wording made it sound like it was an entirely different sort of trap that like the magic trap could use virtually any spell.

tropical_punch
2016-06-04, 12:05 AM
Magic traps can, but "spell trap" is just a catch-all term for spells that act as traps (like glyphs, fire traps, exploding runes, etc.).

As for creating them, scroll down to "magic device trap cost" in this link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm)