PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a 2wf bladelock or should I go greatsword bladelock.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-03, 08:55 PM
Just as the title say. I would like a 2wf bladelock.

MrStabby
2016-06-03, 09:01 PM
Well 2 weapon fighting seems a little poor as you only get a single pact weapon. If nothing else it would frustrate me to play like that.

Anyway, greatswords are badass and look cool and stuff. You should be a badass and look cool and stuff.

Temperjoke
2016-06-03, 10:26 PM
Maybe if you would explain why you would like a two-weapon fighter Blade warlock, we might have a better idea of how to achieve this for you? Strictly speaking, I'd advise against it. You only get one pact weapon at a time, you would have a more awkward time casting spells with material components (you would need to sheathe one of your weapons to grab your arcane focus or access a component pouch). At the same time, you don't have any abilities as a warlock that would benefit from extra hits that a second weapon would give you.

If you would still like to two-weapon fighter, there are two methods to easily get it: multiclass with either a fighter or a ranger, or take the Dual Wielder Feat.

bid
2016-06-03, 11:52 PM
Well 2 weapon fighting seems a little poor as you only get a single pact weapon. If nothing else it would frustrate me to play like that.
It's not that bad, you can still use a dagger offhand. You only want to apply another hex damage anyway.

Str mace = 4d6+6 + 2d6 = 27 damage (fighter 1)
Str quarterstaff PAM = 2d8+6 + 1d4+3 + 3d6 = 31 damage (feat)
Dex shortsword/dagger = 2d6+6 + 1d4 + 3d6 = 24 damage

If you want to avoid Str and heavy armor, it's good enough. I don't like it pure because it's barely better than EB, but if you want to MC rogue it's interesting.

Mjolnirbear
2016-06-04, 12:34 AM
Go Polearm. You can use the other end for extra attacks and also looks bad ass.

Drackolus
2016-06-04, 12:42 AM
Go Polearm. You can use the other end for extra attacks and also looks bad ass.

Yes. Same number of attacks, but you also get to apply your str AND thirsting blade to it, since it's one weapon.
Sudden thought: lore bard 6 + bladepact + staff. Probably not worth it. Definitely cool anyway.

Arial Black
2016-06-04, 06:03 AM
Take your first level as a fighter (proficiency in Con saves is golden), take the TWF fighting style, then switch to warlock from then on (although you can take a 2nd, 3rd and 4th level later).

If you go Str-based you can wear heavy armour. Take the Heavy Armour Master feat (the +1 to Str is a great help; variant human lets you take this at level 1). The damage reduction means that your armour of agathys spell lasts longer; this and hex are your main combat choices; it's why you went TWF in the first place. You have already cast AofA before combat starts (1 hour duration, no concentration) so when it kicks off cast hex, draw a weapon and attack (with booming blade/green-flame blade if you have it). Next round draw the other weapon and use your bonus action for the off hand attack. On rounds where you have to use your bonus action for something else (like moving hex to a new target) use BB/G-FB. At War 4 (when you become a 5th level PC) take the Warcaster feat so you can cast with your hands full, have advantage on concentration checks, and cast BB/G-FB as your OA, and next level hex will last 8 hours so you can cast another combat spell of your choice.

If you go Dex-based you use short swords/scimitars, and take the Armour of Shadows invocation and the Defensive Duelist feat (instead of Heavy Armour Master).

You only get one pact weapon so that will be your main, but you can easily buy a silvered off hand weapon.

My CoS PC is a Dex-based variant teifling (Feral, Devil's Tongue, looks human apart from sharp teeth and no reflection or shadow), Ftr 1/War X, and having enormous fun!

BW022
2016-06-05, 08:19 AM
Just as the title say. I would like a 2wf bladelock.

Your choose and play whatever you wish. However, that build has some issues.

Bladelocks always have an initial problem of armor class. Since you are in melee, chances are your opponents are going to get attacks at you. With only light armor and maybe mage armor, you get going to get hit a lot and likely can't last long enough to be effective. Even if you get medium or heavy armor via multi-class or a feat... TWF means no shield.

TWF also has a massive problem with all spell casters in that it prevents casting of somatic component spells while both hands had a weapon or shield in them. This pretty much means you need the war caster feat, spend insane amounts of time switching/drawing weapons, or can't cast spells or cantrips.

TWF also uses a bonus action to attack. That is also problematic since the standard boast for damage for a warlock (and pretty much necessary for a bladelock) is hex. This requires a bonus action to cast and a bonus action to switch targets.

As others have said, polearm mastery is a much better solution. Being able to attack 10' away, more damage, attacking a reaction attack when they enter reach, having the option of an off-hand bonus attack if you need it, and being able to carry the polearm in one hand are all major advantages.

However, if you really insist on TWF...

You are best to go with a strength build. You can get an 18 AC with only gold. Fighter is one option, but I recommend cleric -- other tempest or war domain with a slight recommendation on tempest. You need a 13 wis, but it is worth it for the spells, spell slots, rituals, and cantrips. Max strength and accept a 14 charisma. Go for a pretty much defensive build. Shield of faith, armor of agathys, and shield. Buff yourself before combat and simply don't worry about casting spell in combat -- other than shield. With armor of agathys, your tempest domain, shield, and shield of faith... you'll last in melee and likely make your opponents really pay for attacking you. In big fights, use hex but only on the big creatures -- so you don't need the bonus action to target switch. At 5th, you I recommend dual weilder (and using heavier weapons and get off hand damage) or else war caster (if being unable to cast spell in combat is driving you nuts).

Rhynear
2016-06-06, 08:02 AM
Your choose and play whatever you wish. However, that build has some issues.

Bladelocks always have an initial problem of armor class. Since you are in melee, chances are your opponents are going to get attacks at you. With only light armor and maybe mage armor, you get going to get hit a lot and likely can't last long enough to be effective. Even if you get medium or heavy armor via multi-class or a feat... TWF means no shield.

TWF also has a massive problem with all spell casters in that it prevents casting of somatic component spells while both hands had a weapon or shield in them. This pretty much means you need the war caster feat, spend insane amounts of time switching/drawing weapons, or can't cast spells or cantrips.

TWF also uses a bonus action to attack. That is also problematic since the standard boast for damage for a warlock (and pretty much necessary for a bladelock) is hex. This requires a bonus action to cast and a bonus action to switch targets.

As others have said, polearm mastery is a much better solution. Being able to attack 10' away, more damage, attacking a reaction attack when they enter reach, having the option of an off-hand bonus attack if you need it, and being able to carry the polearm in one hand are all major advantages.

However, if you really insist on TWF...

You are best to go with a strength build. You can get an 18 AC with only gold. Fighter is one option, but I recommend cleric -- other tempest or war domain with a slight recommendation on tempest. You need a 13 wis, but it is worth it for the spells, spell slots, rituals, and cantrips. Max strength and accept a 14 charisma. Go for a pretty much defensive build. Shield of faith, armor of agathys, and shield. Buff yourself before combat and simply don't worry about casting spell in combat -- other than shield. With armor of agathys, your tempest domain, shield, and shield of faith... you'll last in melee and likely make your opponents really pay for attacking you. In big fights, use hex but only on the big creatures -- so you don't need the bonus action to target switch. At 5th, you I recommend dual weilder (and using heavier weapons and get off hand damage) or else war caster (if being unable to cast spell in combat is driving you nuts).

How is he getting shield as a Warlock/Cleric?

MrStabby
2016-06-06, 08:25 AM
How is he getting shield as a Warlock/Cleric?

I think clerics are proficient with shields.

RickAllison
2016-06-06, 08:45 AM
The Saberstaff:

A rare weapon created by the [insert name] nation for honor duels. As those bouts fell out of favor, it was relegated to use as ceremonial displays. A few devoted warriors still attempt to use these as weapons of war, wielding these with speed and grace rather than power.

The Saberstaff functions as two scimitars in one weapon. It has the finesse property, but must be wielded with two hands, and may use the second blade on the other end per the TWF rules.

Thoughts?

Rhynear
2016-06-06, 09:18 AM
I think clerics are proficient with shields.

Some Clerics are proficient with shields, but it sounded like he meant the spell 'Shield', which is on the Sorcerer and Wizard lists.

Regulas
2016-06-06, 09:52 AM
If you're going TWF I might avoid any of the Attack cantrips (boombing/greenfire) since you cant use them and still get the extra attack.

Dex with shortswords means you can get a high AC without the need for multiclassing and lets you dump str so you only have three stats. As long as you time it right you actually can sheath/unsheathe constantly your extra weapon, since whenever you do you wouldn't be able to extra attack if you still had it out anyway. You may want to focus on using non-save spells too then you can make Cha your third stat and really max out dex.

Third get your DM to agree to letting you just have two pact weapons, it doesn't really matter till like level 11 but still.

As of level 3 Mirror image is your best friend for durability. Arch-fey also gets access to blink at 5th and greater invisibility at 7th. All of which can make you substantially more durable then any amount of armour or feats and you can pretty much always have ready for combat being a warlock.

General lock sidenote, it has been confirmed that you can maintain spell concentration through short rests while still gaining short rest benefits i.e. once it's duration is longer you only need to cast Hex once and you can keep it up all day unless your con is directly disrupted.

Devil's sight+Darkness is another possibility for durability, but keep in mind this can hinder your allies.

If you do multiclass keep in mind A: Your spells will be delayed and B: As a warlock you get to always cast the highest level spells, so at 5th level you could have immmdiatly been able to cast level 3 spells 6-8 times a day.

Rysto
2016-06-06, 09:59 AM
Third get your DM to agree to letting you just have two pact weapons, it doesn't really matter till like level 11 but still.

Actually, it matters a lot. Unless he's going with an Elf of some variety Warlocks are not proficient in Shortswords.