PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on this weapon idea

Frywick
2016-06-03, 10:18 PM
I have the idea to give one of my players a maul that has a kinda steampunkish contraption on the head of the hammer that causes a small explosion and accelerates the swing of the hammer with the strength of the explosion. I say steampunk as thats the only real term I can think out to descirbe it. Its planned to be a one of a kind weapon that at first isn't magical, just has the technolgical enhancment. The world is not all steampunk, just the area in which the party would find this item. I'm not sure how to statisticly make it different in terms of damage done, modifiers to hit, or whether it should have a recharge time etc. The edition I'm running is 5th edition for those it may concern. Help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ralcos
2016-06-03, 10:43 PM
I have the idea to give one of my players a maul that has a kinda steampunkish contraption on the head of the hammer that causes a small explosion and accelerates the swing of the hammer with the strength of the explosion. I say steampunk as thats the only real term I can think out to descirbe it. Its planned to be a one of a kind weapon that at first isn't magical, just has the technolgical enhancment. The world is not all steampunk, just the area in which the party would find this item. I'm not sure how to statisticly make it different in terms of damage done, modifiers to hit, or whether it should have a recharge time etc. The edition I'm running is 5th edition for those it may concern. Help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

For some odd reason, I imagine this idea to be similar to this bad boy!
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Super_sledge

To tell the truth, I'd make it use the same stats as the Maul (PHB pg 149, just in case some forget the stats).
OR
You could use the Warhammer's stats and increase it's damage die by one category.

1d10 bludgeoning damage (1d12 force damage when used two-handed)

Does this help?

Wulfskadi
2016-06-07, 10:30 PM
Here's an idea.

What about a charge format. The maul contains so many "charges" which can be expended to deal extra damage or give bonus to the hit. These could be refueled once the party finds some steam punk supplies, but if they were traveling they would have to be careful about this extra damage expenditure.

Otherwize it would just work as a regular hammer.

Let me try a stat block

Blast hammer
(weapon- maul, uncommon)

This maul can contain up to three charges. One charge can be expended before making an attack to make the attack a blast swing.

Blast swing: Upon being targeted by a blast swing, a creature must make a dexterity (strength?) saving throw or take 4d8 bludgeoning damage and be pushed 30 feet back.