PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re: wizard/chameleon trick

Eisfalken
2016-06-04, 12:19 AM
If I was going to dip Chameleon 2 levels to take advantage of the floating feat (both for metamagic and Extra Spell), what's the ideal entry/progression on that? My search-fu hasn't shown me anything just yet; there's lots of discussion about the rules-cheese needed to make specific tricks work, but I can't see a list of the class/levels that you'd want to build out.

What about wizard 2 / human paragon 3 / chameleon 2 / loremaster 10 / MotAO 3? It's still short of 9th-level spells, so that's a bust, but on the other hand it allows one to make a spellbook with pretty much every wizard-legal spell under 9th in it, plus anything you can scrape from other lists for the chameleon arcane focus (since you'll have up to 2nd-level stuff there, meaning you can still benefit from that tasty trapsmith version of haste). Thought about MotAO instead of loremaster, but with human paragon Int 20 is easy to reach by character level 8th, so I could very easily scrape up 4 feats out of loremaster, plus better skill selection/points, free identify on items (just takes time), and a (weaker) version of bardic knowledge for sundry stuff.

I know I could go incantatrix, but some DMs I know are leery of crossing PrCs from setting-specific stuff, so I thought I'd save a bit of trouble and steer clear on my own. But if available, then yeah, it goes in place of loremaster, and I think I'll bump loremaster on up to the last three levels (since, if I can just get Int 24 some way, I can snag 2 more feats, miminum of 1 if I can't get the Int up high enough).

Any suggestions to trim this up better? Dump MotAO and get something else? Swap out loremaster for anything?

Divide by Zero
2016-06-04, 01:01 AM
Since you already lose two caster levels for Chameleon, you really don't want to lose any other.

You can pretty easily meet all the prerequisites except for the Bluff and Disguise ranks. Easiest way I know of to do that is to take Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) for access to the Trickery domain. You can also take Apprentice (criminal) for Bluff, and either take City Slicker or be a silverbrow human for Disguise.

Troacctid
2016-06-04, 01:50 AM
The easy way to get Bluff and Disguise is to be a changeling and take the racial substitution levels.

You probably won't get any trapsmith spells from Arcane Focus because you have to prepare them from a spellbook, and trapsmiths don't use spellbooks.

Honestly, if you are willing to lose two caster levels to get more spells known, you might as well just be a mystic theurge (or arcane hierophant or whatever). It accomplishes more or less the same thing while also doubling your spells per day.