PDA

View Full Version : Making a "turret" based character

jangartharn1
2016-06-04, 05:38 PM
Hey guys. So I either wanted to make a character in an upcoming campaign that made "turrets" and set up in a spot or a character that could become a "turret." To be honest the more I think about it I'm pretty much wanting to make torbjorn or bastion from overwatch. Man aren't I original. Well anyways if anybody could help me design either a character who built stationary defense "turrets" or maybe a character who just became one I'd be very appreciative. :)

Oneris
2016-06-04, 05:45 PM
Pathfinder Kineticists have been accused of being 'turrets' for sacrificing move actions to power up their kinetic blasts. Perhaps that's a good place to start.

Nando
2016-06-04, 05:52 PM
Relevant item. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#instantFortress)

Obviously for higher levels...

Elricaltovilla
2016-06-04, 05:55 PM
Is this for D&D 3.5, Pathfinder or some other d20 system? If it's for Pathfinder, I'm obligated to ask if 3rd party material is allowed, given my attachment to several 3rd party products. I'll answer assuming Pathfinder, no 3rd party but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Building turrets is not something that is common or easy to do in Pathfinder, though potentially doable in combat through a combination of summoning spells and refluffing. As for being a turret, that's easy. Any archer character with a composite longbow is going to be a machinegun, but especially so in the case of a Zen Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer) Monk which can eke out an extra attack over your standard archer when they flurry with their bow.

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-04, 06:01 PM
There is a psychic warrior ACF that allows you to randomly summon a weapon. Nothing says that that weapon can't be a ballistae

jangartharn1
2016-06-04, 06:02 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to say that this is 3.5 and also stuff like the dragon magazines are allowed.

Bronk
2016-06-04, 06:09 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to say that this is 3.5 and also stuff like the dragon magazines are allowed.

There's 'spell turrets' in DMGII p45 that might be interesting.

If you could get a big enough mount, like a dire elephant, you could mount a howdah on it, then load it up with archers, ballistas, and the spell turrets.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-04, 06:20 PM
There is a psychic warrior ACF that allows you to randomly summon a weapon. Nothing says that that weapon can't be a ballistae
Not all DMs will like this. The power doesn't require a specific size of weapon, but it also doesn't say you get to pick a size. Your DM might rule that since a ballista is effectively a huge/gargantuan/colossal crossbow (on a base), your soulbound ACF is 'crossbow', and that you summon a weapon intended for your size (on a base).

That said, nothing like a colossal +1 splitting self-loading force ballista (which can actually fire 10' poles).

Gildedragon
2016-06-04, 06:36 PM
Artificer with Traps is a great turret maker.
A wizard or sorcerer makes a great turret

hyzigov
2016-06-04, 07:34 PM
Well, it's a 3rd party supplement for Pathfinder, but Gonzo or Gonzo 2 had a class that specifically built towers of various types, for attack, defense and utility. I can't recall which book featured it, but I'm inclined to say the second..

Sir Chuckles
2016-06-04, 08:00 PM
For 3.5, an Artificer using an Arbalester Homunculi.
Figure out how to get a bunch of them and have them balance all over you while firing. Provide cover for yourself via tower shield or similar.

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-04, 08:10 PM
Not all DMs will like this. The power doesn't require a specific size of weapon, but it also doesn't say you get to pick a size. Your DM might rule that since a ballista is effectively a huge/gargantuan/colossal crossbow (on a base), your soulbound ACF is 'crossbow', and that you summon a weapon intended for your size (on a base).

That said, nothing like a colossal +1 splitting self-loading force ballista (which can actually fire 10' poles).

Get a familiar or psicrystal or something and use the Heroes of battle rules for ballista. The rules simply imply that a ballistae is a huge crossbow. A ballistae is a weapon with its own name and stats. But it is never explicitly stated to be a huge crossbow or treated as such.

That means that reloading time is trash, but you can get it down with assistants helping you. If the ballistae were actually a huge crossbow, that would be preferable, cuz at least then you would have more feat support relevant to crossbows. But ballistae has a single feat, ballistae proficiency. And it blows right out the excretory orifice.

RAW, you can summon your ballistae, but you can only shoot it once every...way too high a number...amount of rounds.

Gildedragon
2016-06-04, 08:21 PM
There is a turret-y trap called the razordisk nightmare
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061204a
One could enchant the disks or load it up with delicate disks for magical effect

Gildedragon
2016-06-04, 08:22 PM
Get a familiar or psicrystal or something and use the Heroes of battle rules for ballista. The rules simply imply that a ballistae is a huge crossbow. A ballistae is a weapon with its own name and stats. But it is never explicitly stated to be a huge crossbow or treated as such.

That means that reloading time is trash, but you can get it down with assistants helping you. If the ballistae were actually a huge crossbow, that would be preferable, cuz at least then you would have more feat support relevant to crossbows. But ballistae has a single feat, ballistae proficiency. And it blows right out the excretory orifice.

RAW, you can summon your ballistae, but you can only shoot it once every...way too high a number...amount of rounds.

Reloading special weapon ability

Vizzerdrix
2016-06-04, 08:27 PM
All we need to do is figure out a way to get an animated ballista to eat meat. Then we can use it in a lycanthrope/warforged build. :smallwink:

Sir Chuckles
2016-06-04, 09:16 PM
All we need to do is figure out a way to get an animated ballista to eat meat. Then we can use it in a lycanthrope/warforged build. :smallwink:

Incarnate Construct?

zergling.exe
2016-06-04, 09:20 PM
Incarnate Construct?

I believe Incarnate Construct requires a humanoid anatomy.

edit: Just checked, specifically it requires 2 arms, two legs, and a head, with a generally human form.

PraxisVetli
2016-06-04, 09:26 PM
Hey guys. So I either wanted to make a character in an upcoming campaign that made "turrets" and set up in a spot or a character that could become a "turret." To be honest the more I think about it I'm pretty much wanting to make torbjorn or bastion from overwatch. Man aren't I original. Well anyways if anybody could help me design either a character who built stationary defense "turrets" or maybe a character who just became one I'd be very appreciative. :)

Maugs in Fiend Folio have a turret graft
I think it's called a Stone Spitter

Vizzerdrix
2016-06-04, 09:31 PM
What about divine minion? Maybe to Gond or the Lord of Blades?

Doesnt druid have an applicable variant?

Sir Chuckles
2016-06-04, 10:21 PM
What about divine minion? Maybe to Gond or the Lord of Blades?

Doesnt druid have an applicable variant?

Urban Druids have Urban Shape which is...
"At 16th level, an urban druid becomes able to use urban shape to transform into a Small, Medium, Large, or Huge animated object once per day."

Not the most practical for this purpose. I doubt Bastion is a 16th level Druid.

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-04, 11:00 PM
Urban Druids have Urban Shape which is...
"At 16th level, an urban druid becomes able to use urban shape to transform into a Small, Medium, Large, or Huge animated object once per day."

Not the most practical for this purpose. I doubt Bastion is a 16th level Druid.

Actually, urban druid from drag compendium gets an animated object as a companion...just beef up a crossbow, attach it to a skateboard and animate that!

Feralventas
2016-06-04, 11:58 PM
Alright so.

At 2nd level your Familiar can deliver touch-spells for you.
Liberal interpretation of that ability in concert with Reach Spell Metamagic.

Obtain Familiar can be taken (3.5 feat) at 3rd level

Familiar Bond feat (PF) can be taken at 5th but demands that you NOT have more than one familiar so heck with that if 3.5 content is allowed.

The Master of Shadow PrC might also be able to conver a Familiar into a Shadow Servant so as to open up room for another Familiar if your DM is a stickler for minimization, and the Shadow Servant can also deliver touch spells, albeit not until 5th level in the PrC (10th ECL character).

If you're tied to mechanical fluff, there's construct familiars available via Improved Familiar feat starting at CL 7 in PFSRD.

Andezzar
2016-06-05, 01:25 AM
RAW, you can summon your ballistae, but you can only shoot it once every...way too high a number...amount of rounds.RAW, If you use call weaponry to call a projectile weapon, it comes with projectiles, but is one already loaded? If it is, just shoot the ballista dismiss and call a new one.